Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - December 2014 - The Christmas Ornament

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

Looks like some great ornaments are brewing!

Nice one @shaderbytes - first as usual ;)

raven99 likes this.
  2. jvico89

jvico89

My Work in progress - COOL SPOT SANTA:)

3. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Personally like what you got there. Christmas ball itself could look slightly more attractive/different? :)

Thomas

jvico89 likes this.
  4. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I think I'll submit an entry, but I'm wondering whether Sketchfab models allow custom shader-based effects? Because that's what I mostly do.
    [Edit: it looks like Sketchfab doesn't allow custom shaders. Would you be open to the idea of allowing a Unity file or webplayer file? That seems like a natural way of doing things for a Unity contest....]

5. GreenGaruda

GreenGaruda

My last two penguins. Moving on to a new ornament.

Looking great!!!

Xaurrien, jvico89, MrSoad and 2 others like this.
  6. Sanderdl

Sanderdl

@GreenGaruda Looking good. I do think they look a bit too glossy and reflective, like they are wet or something. Perhaps tone that down just a little.

7. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I would much rather see you use what everybody else is using. I can't change the rules mid-way and I am sure you understand :)

Thomas

8. MrSoad

MrSoad

@GreenGaruda You should send those designs to a Juggling Balls Company, they remind me of a set I used to have as a kid, only much much better! I would buy a set of those tomorrow(make sure to send all 5 designs if you do!, and a link to where I can buy them). They really are great :)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  9. Sketchfab

Sketchfab

It's great to see so much activity.

@Evil_Moo - awesome use of the Camera Effects :D

@GreenGaruda - I definitely want a penguin

@HonoraryBob - your best bet might be to bake your custom shading/lighting

10. Frogames

Frogames

My idea : an ice cream cone used as a christmas tree by insects.
    The 5000 vertices limit is a real challenge, but I'm confident :)

A rough sketch

ChrisSch, NomadKing, Sanderdl and 3 others like this.
  11. GreenGaruda

GreenGaruda

Yeah, i agree. I will play around with the sketchfab settings.

Thank you. Can you send me a link or a specific "Juggling Balls Company" website?

12. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Are there any plans to add a custom shader feature to Sketchfab in the future? I think many people would use it to display their models using the original shaders which the models were built for.

13. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@Frogames - That's looking like a cute idea there mate! Loving it already :) Bring it on!

14. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

Latest on Zanta Claws. The orientation is all screwed up. I'll fix it later.

15. Evil_Moo

Evil_Moo

Well, seems the morph ball got a bit cold up in space. A little something to hang it with should be the finishing touch. I can't really think of anything else to add, so this is probably it from me. Nothing compared to some of the fantastic stuff others have been posting, but I'm happy to have had an excuse to get some practice using Blender.

NomadKing, Xaurrien and VertexFiend like this.
  16. pett-ber

pett-ber

trying out some diffrent ball designs

ChrisSch, NomadKing, bsj and 4 others like this.
  17. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Coming soon to a @Sketchfab embed near you : Sinister Santa Tree Lights

Something for all the deranged families out there, or perhaps for those individuals who like Christmas but don't like Santa or anybody else who is looking for something different and comical to add to their tree.

render_4.png

The red body piece is semi transparent and the bones are what light up when lit. Still some work to do but the concept is looking great so far.

18. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Frogames I love your concept art ;) Im looking forward to see the final 3D result

19. bsj

bsj

Great stuff so far. Here is a bit of an update on mine...struggling mightily with textures.

Any advice on getting clean lines on the candy cane ring?

ChrisSch and NomadKing like this.
  20. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

Use your paint program to anti-alias them? Or didn't that work?

21. bsj

bsj

@HonoraryBob - The original was anti-aliased, but it looked way worse that the current version, which looks pretty terrible. Even running some test with 4k textures, it looked really bad.

This is my first experience with texturing, so I have no clue where to turn.

22. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I often resample the texture at a lower resolution, but of course you'd need to start with an image at least twice the resolution you want to end up with.
    The jagged edges in your candy cane texture may be due to compression, so you could try either saving the file without compression, and/or disabling Unity's auto-compression after it loads the texture (click on the texture in Unity's Project column, then in the Inspector, go down to Texture Importer and click on it to open it up, then scroll down to the bottom where it says "Texture Format" and choose something other than "Compressed" (such as "Truecolor").

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  23. bsj

bsj

I'll give that a shot. Thanks!

24. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I should have added that after changing the settings, you need to click "Apply" in the lower-right of the Inspector to have it reimport the texture without compression.

25. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

@HonoraryBob It might help to show your actual UV Layout :)

NomadKing likes this.
  26. Sanderdl

Sanderdl

Quick WIP, almost done texturing:

ChrisSch, shaderbytes, MrSoad and 2 others like this.
  27. NomadKing

NomadKing

@pett-ber Simultaneously great and a bit creepy at the same time! :)

@Frogames Love the concept.

I've been having a bit of nightmare with some of the detailing for the seat in my Sleigh, but finally managed to get something I'm happy with:

Sleigh3.png

ChrisSch, Sanderdl and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  28. NomadKing

NomadKing

Now that I actually have some detail to do it with, here's a quick test of my High-Low poly baking with a section of the seat. Just using a Normal map and some AO as the diffuse:

Sleigh4.png

High poly for that section was around 24k tris (14k verts) and the low poly 28 tris (23 verts). Quite pleased with that :cool:

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  29. jarkkis

jarkkis

My 1st WIP... Going to add some gifts... Nothing too fancy..

Attached Files:

• WIP1.jpg
      WIP1.jpg
      File size:
      57.9 KB
      Views:
  30. GreenGaruda

GreenGaruda

Looking great!!!. By any chance, will you be making his eye ball coming out, dangling?

Model looking epic. Just like Thomas Pasieka said, showing your UV layout will be helpful and probably your texture. So we can give you a better suggestion. For the hat seams, put it on the back or near around the back. Looks very odd when its on the front, in my opinion.

Seams_back.png

31. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I think you were addressing that to PSJ, since he was the one asking about a texture problem. I was trying to offer suggestions to him.

32. GreenGaruda

GreenGaruda

This is my own opinion. I saw your model in Sketchfab and texture looks great. But you should extend the snow piece to hide the house mesh.

Ideas.png

mikesgames, Sazem, Sketchfab and 3 others like this.
  33. bsj

bsj

@HonoraryBob - Thanks again.

@GreenGaruda - Thanks for the input. You're absolutely right about the seem. I'll see what I can do about making some corrections in the coming days, and post an update.

34. bsj

bsj

So, thanks again to @HonoraryBob and @GreenGaruda for taking the time to help, as I fumble my way through this stuff. I've moved the seem on the hat, although it could still use some work. And I have "mostly" fixed the issue with the texture on the ring. I rebuilt the texture, again at 4k, then resampled. I had to set the filter mode to Trilinear, and had to bump up the Aniso level. I still had to use a 2k texture or I continue to have the issue. I suspect it has to do with the angle of the stripes. When reducing down the texture size at this angle, it produces exceptionally fuzzy lines with a 1k texture.

35. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

@GreenGaruda - Hey thanks, I appreciate it. And yes, I do plan to have the eyeball dangling out! Once I'm finished with the final retopo I'll add the eyes and it should be totally finished. Going to be a very gruesome Christmas for all who believe in Zanta Claws. :D

@bsj - I feel like perhaps the ring doesn't have enough UV space, which is why you're getting such jagged lines, but I can't be sure without seeing the UV layout. It also appears that you have a nasty seam along the right side of the ring.

36. HonoraryBob

HonoraryBob

I don't think the problem with the stripes is that noticeable, except at one point when you rotate it counter-clockwise 90 degrees and there's a definite break at one point, probably because of a UV mapping issue (it looks like a seam). Other than that, the stripes are only slightly jagged or pixellated on the edges. If you want to know how I get rid of that type of thing.... I generally use a pixel shader to produce a procedurally-generated surface pattern on-the-fly, so the resolution is basically unlimited (it's whatever resolution is needed based on viewer distance). But Sketchfab doesn't allow custom shaders.

bsj likes this.
  37. bsj

bsj

@HonoraryBob - That's good to know. Thanks. I will see if I can correct the obvious break. I didn't even notice it, as I was focus on the line quality. Thanks again for all your help on this.

38. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@bsj I found a similar issue with my scrat model , the logo on the acorn was not behaving like your candy strips. I found changing the filtering mode in sketchfabs setting to point mode got rid of the problem. You might not want this for the entire model so create a unique material for the ring , even if it points to the same texture as the rest of the model. Then in sketchfab select the rings material and under the diffuse settings change the filtering mode to point mode. This should get rid of that blurring based on what I saw with mine.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  39. GreenGaruda

GreenGaruda

I hope this help bsj and this is also for people that contemplating making candy cane stripes. I am not worry about the seams, it's only for reference.

Each donut Verts: 576

DonutStriped_Preview_01.png DonutStriped_Preview_02.png

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
    bsj and NomadKing like this.
  40. cloverse

cloverse

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 3.04.47 PM.png

My WIP: A platypus trapped in a snowball

Sketchfab and Sanderdl like this.
  41. Sanderdl

Sanderdl

@GreenGaruda Thanks for the suggestions! I was kind of hoping no would view the model from below and notice all the UV errors though haha. Will see if I can make some changes.

42. cloverse

cloverse

This is very cool, but in my opinion I think the colour is too bright, maybe it's better with dull colour, as zombies are dirty.

43. cloverse

cloverse

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 6.05.00 PM.png
    Does it look like a platypus? I keep thinking it's more like a duck :(

44. cloverse

cloverse

Screen Shot 2014-12-12 at 6.17.46 PM.png
    Another version, flying snowball platypus.

45. Sanderdl

Sanderdl

@cloverse I think the head should be less of a sphere shape. Real platypus have a much much flatter head. But the texturing could also do a great deal in making it look like a platypus. Another thing, the hands and feet look like they would be too far from his body. I think he would be really streched out this way. Perhaps move them a little closer to the head/tail.

46. cloverse

cloverse

@Sanderdl Thanks for your feedback! I'll try to fix it.

47. bsj

bsj

@shaderbytes - Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I am not seeing a "Point" mode. I have three options under filtering: Nearest, Bilinear, Trilinear.

@GreenGaruda - Really appreciate you taking the time. My texture is not at a 45 degree angle, which I think is the problem. In your image, the anti-alias is very clean because of the appropriate angle. Because of the angle in mine, as well as the messing around required to get the darn thing to line up, it distorts the line edge. Thanks again!

48. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@bsj that is bizrarre , those are the only options I see now as well ( mine is on bilinear ) maybe they changed the API or perhaps Ive straddled the lines between reality and some dream I had about that reality with different variables haha.

Anyway i dont see the blur issue I had with it so bilinear is working for me then

49. GreenGaruda

GreenGaruda

No problem, I hope you solve it.
    I was working on Planet Xmas, but it takes too much time. I have less than two days for my next entry. So i just wanted to show you guys, what i was working on.
    Planet_Xmas_01.png

ChrisSch likes this.
  50. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Here is My Shocking Santa creation in 3D..