Search Unity

Unity Community Art Challenge - April 2015 - Chest Of Wonders

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Thomas-Pasieka, Apr 1, 2015.

1. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

I like your chest. :) If you've got the time, maybe you can lift a little bit. It looks like it's bolted through the floor :) I like the hidden wonder!

Antonio-Neves likes this.
  2. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Wow such a rush last minute for everyone it seems ;) , I dont know if im going to get time to do indiana's hat and whip and up date the model so I made it public and tagged it in case I dont so my entry is in.

3. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Very cool @shaderbytes ! I love the work on the shafts of light and the mood! Excellent.

I'm still not sure if I'll be able to squeak this one in . . . more progress on some uh . . . containers for my chest. :confused:

I'm streaming what I'm working on if anyone is interested in stopping by to say "hey" -

http://www.twitch.tv/vertexpusher

4. Avenger84

Avenger84

5. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Thanks @Avenger84 and @VertexFiend ;)

I have to leaave the model as is now since ongoing client work has jumped on top of me again. Im happy to have found the time to do most of what I wanted.. but the hat and whip would have been sweet.

looking forward to your updates

Avenger84 and VertexFiend like this.
  6. Mentallic3D

Mentallic3D

@shaderbytes How did you do the light beams? What file type and settings? I could not get true transparency to work, only a cutout style effect. Looks fantastic!

7. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

@Mentallic3D

Thanks!

For alpha you use a png file. In the material settings in sketchfab you need to activate the use of the alpha channel in the transparency tab. So the texture is used in the diffuse tab and then you have to manually add the same texture to the transparency tab.

8. EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX

hi there, here is my final entry. Good Job everyone! i`m not sure why the embed code shows 2 windows with the same model, sorry for that guys.
    <iframe width="640" height="480" src="
    " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true" onmousewheel=""></iframe>

<p style="font-size: 13px; font-weight: normal; margin: 5px; color: #4A4A4A;">
    <a href="
    " target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">ATL</a>
    by <a href="https://sketchfab.com/emmanem2099?u...utm_campaign=453cf44944ba489a9e35bd0488c0fd62" target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">EMMANEMSAURIO REX</a>
    on <a href="https://sketchfab.com?utm_source=oe...utm_campaign=453cf44944ba489a9e35bd0488c0fd62" target="_blank" style="font-weight: bold; color: #1CAAD9;">Sketchfab</a>
    </p>

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  9. essimoon2

essimoon2

Hey all, beautiful entries so far! It's great to see this challenge grow, already 6 pages of amazing models! :O
    And as always in the final minutes, here's my entry:

My chest of wonders contains a whole different world. I tried to emphasize the feeling of this by making sure the look of the chest differs a lot from its content:

Textured <> flat colored
    normal mapped <> flat shaded geometry
    hand-painted stylized <> abstract low poly​

The chest has just been opened so its versatile contents are flooding the world, kind of like a Pandora's Box but a bit more positive. You can even see a low poly world starting to unfold around the chest :D

10. Avenger84

Avenger84

OK with two mins to spare here is mine :)

Left it way to late

Anyway hope you like it all textures are hand painted and really enjoyed challenging myself to try something new and do some anatomy study.

Really great entries here guys :)

A tribute to one of my favourite games

With me leaving it late to enter I didnt have enough time to clean up some seams on the hand, will revisit this at a later date

Well done everyone great contest :)

11. WaitandC

WaitandC

Man there are some epic chests showing up tonight! All I brought was this sad cardboard box.

Found this picture of my family a few weeks ago. Polaroids in fact, had a good laugh at some of them. (Not my best work) So when I was kicking around ideas for the contest, those old photos stuck in my head. Something simple, but wonderful all the same. Photos are captured moments waiting for us relive them. That's what I was going for.

Bah! Wish I had more time! Still, I'm happy with what I came up with. Good luck to everyone!

12. ppg

ppg

cw11.jpg cw22.jpg cw33.jpg cw44.jpg cw55.jpg

This is it NOT COMPLETED
    wish i had more time!!
    dint even get a full 24hrs sadly

Grim Reaper
    CHEST OF SOULS

13. xenius

xenius

@shaderbytes : It doesn't look like your entry is tagged. Go ahead and tag it!

Everyone: The contest ends in 3 hours the 40 minutes. You have time to do final polish and check your tag. MAKE SURE ITS UCAC8 NOT UCAC!!!!

NomadKing likes this.
  14. xenius

xenius

Derp, nevermind. Apparently there was some caching weirdness. Search on sketchfab now showing things correctly. Weird...

15. IFL

IFL

Wow! There's a lot of really good entries.

I improved (I hope) my scene's flooring and lighting a couple of hours ago. Wish there was more time to fine-tune the other stuff in the scene.

Yeah, that site is fun sometimes, especially when uploading texture maps before it just forgets they exist. The polycount is also buggy. It seems to remember only the first uploaded mesh instead of re-uploaded versions.

16. profz3d

profz3d

wow you guys here are awesome with your chest , not sure about mine :confused:

here's my Final Steampunk Chest, i got little time for this so sory for the Bad :D
    and it's looks like i was to late, can i still come in o_O?

17. xenius

xenius

Still have an hour and a half left to post and tweak!

18. BurnTheHorses

BurnTheHorses

@ppg The stuff of nightmares right there.

19. VertexFiend

VertexFiend

Here is my entry - really happy I made it in just in time! :eek:

Here's a WIP - beauty shot from toolbag2 I didn't get a chance to post earlier . . .

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  20. ppg

ppg

Antonio-Neves and xenius like this.
  21. ppg

ppg

lol quite a dark theme
    story was appealing for a chest
    was the easiest of other two ideas i had,

1. a robo space droid with life's Noahs ark type chest like a world creator.

2. my fav was Pinocchio finding a heart in chest
    catch was its not boy pico you get a battle hardened warrior pico with forest queen and two beast on gard as pets.

Nose filed ofcourse for realistic concept like hellboy.

when i get more time would like to build on pico concept.

ITS BEEN A CREATIVE tiring 24 HRS
    now i need my bed!!

thanks all

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    xenius likes this.
  22. xenius

xenius

*BLOWS WHISTLE*

And submissions are closed. Awwwwesome job guys. Seriously, I've been blown away by both the volume and quality of the entries for this. I, Thomas, and Sketchfab will be looking them over and doing our judging over the weekend, after which we'll be haaandin out some prizizes!

dreamhead, VertexFiend and ppg like this.
  23. Antonio-Neves

Antonio-Neves

Woow , in the last minute appeared many good entries! Awesome new stuff, congrats for everyone!

:)

ppg likes this.
  24. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Alright guys! Thanks for participating everyone!!! Was fun to watch all those entries come in and develop! We shall now mull over all entries and decide on the winners! This may take a day or two :) Thanks everybody once again for participating and a BIG thanks to @xenius for sponsoring this challenge with his awesome set of plugins! A big thank also goes to @Sketchfab once for their continued sponsorship!

Rock on everybody! Expect a new Challenge to be posted tomorrow!

Thomas

xenius and ppg like this.
  25. Avenger84

Avenger84

Hi guys really cant get to grips with sketchfab at the moment any suggestions or tutorials on this?

Cheers

26. Cubox_10

Cubox_10

I had a reallly cool concept for this challenge but unfortunately i had no time to build it in 3d :( i've been really busy with my own project :(

27. ppg

ppg

i done mine in less than 24hrs cos i left it late too

what was your idea??

Cubox_10 likes this.
  28. essimoon2

essimoon2

I don't really know about any tutorials, but is there anything specific you got problems with? Maybe we can help you here :)
    If nothing else, there's also the sketchfab forum and from my experience the people of sketchfab check every single topic and try to answer questions.

29. Avenger84

Avenger84

@essimoon2 Thanks, I have been getting more acquainted with it will just keep at it. Nice entry btw :)

EMMANEMSAURIO-REX likes this.
  30. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

And here are the winners of the UCAC8 Challenge this month! I have to say that I really liked the level of participation in this one! Well done everybody! We had a tough time deciding on the finalists but here they are:

1st Place @essimoon2 -

2nd Place @Rafmorais -

3rd Place @Antonio Neves -

31. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

As usual, the the Sponsors will get in touch with you regarding the Prizes :) Thanks again to our awesome sponsors!

Antonio-Neves and xenius like this.
  32. Cubox_10

Cubox_10

i had the idea for a small chest with a huge lock on the top and gaint key in it. and maybe a little keyhole in the key itself.
    i did already sketched the key and made a little design for the lock and chest but there was no time left to made it in 3d.

i hope i did explained my idea well :p ?

33. Antonio-Neves

Antonio-Neves

34. essimoon2

essimoon2

Wow first place, thank you! :D I really didn't expect that with so many great entries this time. Congrats to @Rafmorais and @Antonio Neves as well.

Also @Antonio Neves, I think I saw some of your work at polycount and pinterest and I really liked it, hope to see more in the future! :D

35. Rafmorais

Rafmorais

Wooooottt!! O.O
    I'm so freaking happy haha! Congratz to everybody with all of the amazing entries!
    @Antonio Neves and @essimoon Congratulations guys, have to say that I'm really proud to be among you guys, such an inspiration! =]

Bring more of these contests! I had a blast =]

36. ppg

ppg

good job guys
    well-done

Antonio-Neves likes this.
  37. dreamhead

dreamhead

Congratulations to the winners great job

ppg, Rafmorais and Antonio-Neves like this.
  38. NomadKing

NomadKing

Congrats to the winners! A lot of great entries this month, I'm sure the judges had a really hard time just picking 3 :)

ppg and Antonio-Neves like this.
  39. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Congrats to all winners! You all did an amazing job :)

40. Avenger84

Avenger84

well done to the winners :)

41. Cubox_10

Cubox_10

Congrats to the winners !!!!!
    @essimoon2 I really like your low poly style and amazing glow effect!
    @Rafmorais amazing environment and a great focus you have created with the cold effect in the middle of you model!
    @Antonio Neves i saw your work before and saved it for reference for my upcomming project!

Great work guys!

Next challenge i'll be part of the challengers !!

Antonio-Neves and ppg like this.
  42. xenius

xenius

NomadKing and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  43. shaderbytes

shaderbytes

Awesome stuff gents. Well done to those who crossed the line above position 4 ;) see you in the next round!