Search Unity

Unity and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra)

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Mantas-Puida, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Current macOS 10.13 High Sierra support summary:

macOS 10.13 High Sierra upgrade recommendation: upgrade with care
    For macOS 10.13 support you have to upgrade your Unity Editor to one of these versions:
    - 5.5.5 patch 2 or later (install Visual Studio for Mac for script editing)
    - 5.6.4 patch 3 or later
    - 2017.1.2 patch 3 or later
    - 2017.2.0 patch 3 or later
    - 2017.3.0 or later
    These versions include multiple fixes for disappearing assets on APFS, Unity Editor and Monodevelop crashes. If you encounter more issues with Monodevelop on macOS 10.13 it's recommended to manually install Visual Studio for Mac and use it for script editing. Future Unity versions are expected to switch to it anyway.

Patches for Unity Editor can be downloaded at usual place: https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/patch-releases

There will be no Unity 5.4.x fixes for High Sierra, you have to either keep your machines on macOS 10.12 or upgrade your project to Unity 5.5.x and later. In general 5.4.x and older Unity versions might work with High Sierra on HFS+ disk, but it should be considered as last resort workaround if you have to use older Unity versions on new OS.

Xcode 9 works fine with macOS 10.12.6, so if you are in late development stages of your game, it's still recommended to stay on macOS 10.12.

Other known problems, but not related to OS upgrade:
    - Global cross platform Unity Editor outage while opening project. Workaround: disable networking while opening project. There will be blogpost on this issue. Should be fixed by now on our backend servers.

Original post:

We are aware of some issues with Unity and macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) beta 1 release. We recommend waiting before updating to this macOS version until we finish investigating reported issues, one of which being trouble with assets appearing in Project View. Check back here soon – we'll keep updating this post as we learn more.
    Update: we were able to track down missing Project View items issue as APFS and Unity editor interoperability problem. We are working on a fix, though meanwhile we recommend to not upgrade your main filesystem to APFS or at least keep Unity editor and your projects on HFS+ partition.
    Update2: we have updated our Mac VR build with APFS fix. You can get it there:
    http://beta.unity3d.com/download/f196ae3d2614/public_download.html. Fixes for other Unity versions will follow shortly.

P.S. you don't need to upgrade to macOS 10.13 to try new Xcode or iOS 11. Just keep using 10.12.
    P.P.S. general advice while testing beta OS'es, please consider installing it to separate partition to not interrupt your everyday workflow.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2018
    Jess-D, Excit0n, shaneparsons and 8 others like this.
  2. armariya

armariya

Oops! It's too late for me ;-;

3. machenmusik

machenmusik

FYI! It appears that you don't need to downgrade macOS, you just need to create a non-APFS partition to use for Unity and projects, until they sort out the issues.

Deleted User and DonLoquacious like this.
  4. jimmya

jimmya

Thanks machenmusik, that seems accurate. We've found that you can still load up Unity projects with macOS 10.13 (High Sierra) beta 1 if they are loaded from a HFS+ partition. This is not the default option when you install.

Deleted User, Cromfeli and Kronnect like this.
  5. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

I updated post with new details:
    - for the moment please keep your Unity editor and projects on HFS+ partition;
    - we are working on a fix.

Kronnect likes this.
  6. OwlBoy-

OwlBoy-

Wow, does this mean all old builds of Unity will stop working that are older than the current one once 10.13 is out (if people do the recommended thing and use APFS)?

Man… good thing I won't need 5.3.4p1 soon.

7. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We are still investigating to precisely match, which versions are affected. So far it was confirmed for 5.6.x and 2017.1.

OwlBoy- likes this.
  8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

For older versions, presumably you could make a small partition formatted with HFS+ and run them from that.

Now is probably a good time to remove x86 and Universal options for Mac builds, and just leave x86_64.

--Eric

andyz, orb and Enrico-Monese like this.
  9. machenmusik

machenmusik

as Mantas-Puida confirmed also, please note that I have found that moving only the Unity project to non-APFS partition is NOT sufficient (project can be loaded, assets show up, but cryptic build errors ensue) -- had to also copy the Unity application directory to non-APFS partition and run from there, after which all was well.

10. QI

QI

Wow, seems like my projects might still alive. Early this day when I can't open my current project I thought my project data was corrupted. Just about to cry all night and this post actually save me. Hope a patch will come out soon.

11. MeachWare

MeachWare

as posted on reddit I was not able to get Monodevelop to launch at all with both 5.6.x or 2017.b5. My macOS 10.13 beta install did not change the file system (it still used HFS+).

Kjaka likes this.
  12. aet

aet

Unity Technologies

13. Enrico-Monese

Enrico-Monese

Blender import also seems broken, maybe related but not sure

14. QI

QI

Hi, I have noticed that this version still not support APFS. Well do you have any plan to support APFS and could I ask how long it might take?

overfocus likes this.
  15. aet

aet

Unity Technologies

It's hard to extract any new information of the problem you're seeing from this alone. If possible, file a bug, explain
    the details of your filesystem ("diskutil info /" output when running on macOS High Sierra, path where you're using the project from, project itself causing problems embedded), does creating a new empty project work, does importing the old project work when project Library folder is removed etc. Thanks!

16. John1515

John1515

Monodevelop crashes on startup here (MBP2016), using 5.6.1xMacVR-P1.
    I couldn't see any support for AFPS on the patch-3 release of the normal branch is that correct? Is there any version out there where monodevelop works with afps/high sierra?

17. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Fixes for Unity editor are in flight. We are still investigating Monodevelop issues.

gadgetoflife likes this.
  18. QI

QI

A work around here is use the latest MonoDevelop 6.1. Seems like the 6.1 (or Xamarin Studio) works really good.
    You just need to change the scripting tool to Xamarin Studio in Unity -> Preference to use it. It works pretty fun for me.

You can get it here : http://www.monodevelop.com/download/

Enrico-Monese likes this.
  19. Enrico-Monese

Enrico-Monese

This works

20. God-at-play

God-at-play

FYI MonoDevelop still doesn't load with macOS 10.13 Beta 2 (17A291j). Tested with 5.6.1p1 and 5.6.1xMacVR-p1 (APFS fix version).

21. Patmaclondon

Patmaclondon

Partition your harddrive I suppose, I also beta test for apple, and I find APFS is still very flacky, specialy with some older macs and the bootrom, also another idea, create a disk image and format it HFS+ (Not tested it yet)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  22. Patmaclondon

Patmaclondon

Update, that works just create a disk image file and put the project on there and mount it... That way you have one file per project

23. greay

greay

Along with APFS, are you also going to start supporting case-sensitive file systems?

24. God-at-play

God-at-play

Ha! I reported that as a bug in 1.5 in 2006, Case #5473. At the time it wasn't supported because of PACE licensing, not sure if they still use that. Maybe you're careful with what apps you use, but many aren't built with case sensitivity in mind.

25. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

I can't get it to build for macOS nor AppleTV; it's getting stuck at UnityShaderCompiler going 100% CPU. Any ideas ?
    I've tried both HFS+/APFS partitions using 5.6.1f1 and VR-p1

26. TenderPaw

TenderPaw

27. TimoZikeli

TimoZikeli

I installed VisualStudio because MonoDevelop doesn't work. But AutoCompletion does not work... (I tried typing "Input." but there were no proposals...

28. christophergoy

christophergoy

I have been using visual studio code on mac and there are some plugins for it that support unity autocompletion. It's great. I would highly recommend it. I've attached a screenshot of the plugins i've installed.

Edit: Link to VS Code

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  29. User340

User340

Is that the same as Visual Studio for mac? The naming is very confusing.

30. christophergoy

christophergoy

It’s different, i recommend checking it out though. You can set it as your editor in unity preferences. If you have questions feel free to ask or message me directly

User340 likes this.
  31. tswalk

tswalk

wait...so you don't have to use xcode on osx, you can now use visual studio or vs code to compile?

32. christophergoy

christophergoy

To write C# code you can use visual studio code. You still need to export and use Xcode to build to device

33. tswalk

tswalk

awe, sad faces....

34. adslitw

adslitw

@Mantas-Puida - with High Sierra at GM I thought I'd check in on this, which (if any) builds of Unity are ok on 10.13? I noticed in the 2017.1.p1 notes it mentions an unrelated bug fix for 10.13:

"(948069, 926730) - OSX: Fixed Metal VSync on OSX 10.13 to follow Quality Settings."

Can I assume that upgrading to 10.13 is now safe?

35. DiscoFever

DiscoFever

I'm waiting for the final release (on 25th) before switching.

36. User340

User340

+1 for wondering if High Sierra is safe to upgrade next week as well as APFS.

37. Enrico-Monese

Enrico-Monese

Using Unity on High Sierra since the beginning, seems stable recently, most problems are more macOS fault I think. MonoDevelop now works again. Not using APFS though. I would wait for official release of both Unity 2017.2 and macOS.

38. adslitw

adslitw

Upgraded to the GM on a test machine - 2017.1p5 and 2017.1.1p2 are working fine (with APFS Encrypted). YMMV.

Fingers crossed my eGPU enclosure will be delivered soon! :)

User340 likes this.
  39. iquintana

iquintana

I'm working with High Sierra GM and in old versions doesn't work, at least in the one we are working on 5.3.7p3 (on 20/04/2017)

Do you know a way to make old versions work without downgrade to Sierra?

Thank you

40. adslitw

adslitw

@iquintana

41. peteforde

peteforde

@Mantas-Puida @christophergoy @aetfi @jimmya

Thanks for all of your hard work getting Unity running on High Sierra.

With the GM for 10.13 available for download in advance of the 25th, can you please verify whether there are currently any major outstanding issues for a Unity 2017.1 developer to upgrade to High Sierra?

Do we still have to use HFS+ or are we now able to let it convert our partitions to APFS?

42. sandortudor

sandortudor

After the OsX High Sierra update I can't open Mono Develop.

What can I do?

43. peteforde

peteforde

@sandortudor unfortunately, that answers my question.

I wish Unity folks would publish a blog post about the High Sierra migration gotchas.

Can you confirm whether you converted to APFS?

User340 likes this.
  44. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Can you provide a update, if full compatibility is done or coming in patch soon?

45. sandortudor

sandortudor

What do I need to convert to APFS?

46. sandortudor

sandortudor

Oh Now is working ... I have not updated to unity beta 2 it was beta 1 :))

47. sandortudor

sandortudor

In beta 1 when I was pressing "Game" it was not crashing bun now in beta 2 is crashing :(

48. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Beta of what? if you mean 2017.2 its already in beta 11, not sure what ur doing

49. sandortudor

sandortudor

SRY
    After:Unity 2017.2.0b11
    Before:Unity 2017.1.0b11(I think)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  50. joe_04_04

joe_04_04

I'm in a game design class that requires Unity, so I know that I can't update to High Sierra until Unity is fully compatible. I'm on Unity 2017.1of3. Have there been any updates or improvements in this area? I'd really love to update to High Sierra, but can't until its totally compatible.