Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Analytics Heatmaps: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by marc_tanenbaum, Sep 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zilppuri

Zilppuri

Now I am getting the data (it seems), but running into NullReferenceException in line
    if (!datum.ContainsKey("x") || !datum.ContainsKey("y"))

in HeatmapAggregator.LoadStream()

I added simple if (datum == null) { continue; } to get rid of it. But any idea if I'm doing something wrong here?

don_Zorbit and Danielpunct like this.
  2. ThornWoofie

ThornWoofie

Hi all! Really looking forward to using heatmaps, but unfortunately our project just updated to Unity 5.6, and I get errors when trying to install the heatmaps package. The Unity Analytics window does not appear either.

The errors:

"Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/IonicGZip.cs(34,16): error CS0433: The imported type `Ionic.Zlib.GZipStream' is defined multiple times
    Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/IonicGZip.cs(34,75): error CS0433: The imported type `Ionic.Zlib.CompressionMode' is defined multiple times"

Is this because of 5.6 or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

3. Zilppuri

Zilppuri

4. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

That is available in the userInfo data set. It is only visible via Raw Data Export:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsRawDataExport.html

It will contain a list of our automatically generated user ids and the ID you set, so you can join that data with any data set you want to analyze.

5. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hey all! Quick note that you can now turn on heatmaps yourself on your dashboard config page. And, during the month of May only, we're letting everyone – regardless of license – activate heatmaps! Once activated for a project, you get to keep it forever.

Happy heatmapping!

Mangatome likes this.
  6. RezaRous

RezaRous

Hi,

I'm currently using heatmap for a project in which I want to save the whereabouts of the user every second, but when I tried sending the data through heatmap, I got a lot of data loss, and sometimes nothing is being sent from one of the test devices. I gradually reduced the frequency from every second to every 10 seconds, more data are being sent but I still have data loss, sometimes up to 60%!
    Is this something common or am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

7. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Assuming no errors on your end, that's definitely a problem. If you've switched on heatmaps on the dashboard, you should be able to send an event/second with plenty of ceiling remaining. Recommend you file a support ticket, as the data loss would not be a heatmaps issue per se but rather a data issue with the Analytics service.

8. Teila

Teila

This is nice. I do have a question. Since our project is not ready for heat maps yet, but it will be in the near future, is there going to be an option for Unity Personal users to pay for the service? Will the only option be to go pro? It looks like a great service and even for additional cost it might be very useful.

9. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

@Teila Activate heatmaps for your project today. Once activated, you'll get to keep it going forward.

My comment above indicates that we made this a special offer for May...but the truth is we've kept it going at least through the end of June. Once this offer is closed, though, the only way to get heatmaps will be through a Pro license...we don't charge for Analytics products separately. So whether your project is ready or not, just activate it (and maybe one or two spare projects for the future ;) ) to grandfather yourself in!

Teila likes this.
  10. Teila

Teila

Thanks, Marc! :)

11. starikcetin

starikcetin

Hello,

Just for clarification, when personal users enable heatmaps, will they be able to use it for every project from now on, or just for the project that they turned it on?

Best wishes.

12. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Heatmaps is enabled on a per-project basis.

13. MikeErty

MikeErty

I've just enabled heatmaps in the dashboard and installed the SDK. But now I get a persistent pop-up telling me that "unity analytics is now integrated directly inside the unity engine. This requires a simple set of changes."
    I click on "How To Upgrade" and it takes me to the dashboard where, at the top, it says "Project not found." The project exists on the dashboard though, so I'm guessing there's some confusion.
    I'm not getting any errors in the editor but this pop-up won't go away (it reappears a few minutes after getting rid of it), any advice? Apologies if this has been answered but I couldn't find anything on it by searching.

14. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

15. Skalbe

Skalbe

Hi!
    How long does one usually have to wait for the sign up access?
    Also I`m confused about where the functionality gets cut off if I have not signed up. I integrated the SDK and following the steps on Bitbucket got the custom events working and some jobs even gathered my data and I downloaded it, but when I press `Process` on the Heatmapper, it first gave me warnings about no aggregation process results and then the same error as __Aadrian mentioned in the RawData line 386, where the `Result` variable was null.
    A bit later though it worked and is showing my data from some indiscernible test run perfectly which led me to think that perhaps the data just hadn't arrived yet. Can someone confirm that the warning and error described above would happen if the data simply wasn`t there yet?
    Also the interface is very ambiguous. What exactly IS a job? Do I have to create a new job for every data set I wish to record? Is a `job` supposed to be somehow set to be `running` during every test run? How do I tell the Heatmap window which downloaded data set to process? Does the Heatmap combine and display all downloaded data sets? Do I have to purge and reset everything to display the dataset I want one by one? How do I switch between my data sets in the heatmap?
    Pic for reference: http://imgur.com/OJU4Dm0

Update: Now it`s showing me a warning in the editor that says: "No matching data found" when I try re-processing my re-downloaded data sets. What gives?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  16. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

@Marc I signed up for heat maps for my current project, but the Raw Data Export tab is still greyed out in my analytics screen. Can you help at all please?

thanks

Nalin

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  17. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@puzzlekings

Enabling Heatmaps does not give access to the Raw Data Export feature in the dashboard. For non-Pro Subscribers all Raw Data must be requested and downloaded via the Raw Data window in the Heatmaps plugin.

18. GloriaVictis

GloriaVictis

Hello,

I have issue with launching heatmap. I have already exported data and now trying to Process it but it gives me this warning:
    No manifest found
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    UnityAnalytics.RawDataClient:GetFiles(UnityAnalyticsEventType[], DateTime, DateTime) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Services/RawDataClient.cs:249)
    UnityAnalyticsHeatmap.AggregationInspector:Fetch(AggregationHandler, Boolean) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/AggregationInspector.cs:214)
    Heatmapper:SystemProcess() (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/Heatmapper.cs:151)
    Heatmapper:OnGUI() (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/Heatmapper.cs:95)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

No matching data found.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    UnityAnalyticsHeatmap.AggregationInspector:processAggregation(List`1) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/AggregationInspector.cs:406)
    UnityAnalyticsHeatmap.AggregationInspector:Fetch(AggregationHandler, Boolean) (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/AggregationInspector.cs:215)
    Heatmapper:SystemProcess() (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/Heatmapper.cs:151)
    Heatmapper:OnGUI() (at Assets/Editor/Heatmaps/Views/Heatmapper.cs:95)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

My RawData folder includes only this:
    https://i.gyazo.com/67c778939a635f2c52dacc9fb3ef441e.png

19. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Skalbe

Good news, we've gotten rid of the sign up process! You can just enable Heatmaps in your Dashboard, if you have a Pro Subscription.

How long after you created the data did you try to download it? There is a bit of a delay between when you create the data and when it is available.

A job is basically a request for Raw Data. You would only need to create a new job when you want to process a new data set. And the job must be complete before you can use it.

Heatmaps will use the data from the dates you specify and the data set chosen in the Render options:
    heatmapper.png

Hmm, I'll see if I can find out what this issue for this might be.

20. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@Skalbe, @GloriaVictis

I just spoke with one of the heatmaps engineers and it sounds like the Heatmapper is not looking in the correct location for the raw data.

Would you be able to provide two screenshots:
    1. Your Heatmapper window (similar to the one in my last post)
    2. Your Raw Data window

21. GloriaVictis

GloriaVictis

22. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks @ap-unity

I switched on the tab for heat maps in my project but I am not seeing any data when I go through the steps outlined here:

https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technologies/heatmaps

"this can be confirmed by checking the validator window on your project's integration page from the Analytics dashboard." - not quite sure where this is?

I am running this in the Editor though its not a dev build...

Any ideas? (normal Analytics events are working)

thanks

Nalin

BTW is this still free to sign up?

[UPDATE ] - I can see the Heatmap events coming through now - think I had not set the API Key so I'll try again in a couple of days

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  23. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

@GloriaVictis,

Yeah, it looks like your Raw Data is getting saved to a different folder.

1. In the Raw Data window, copy the filepath from the Output Path field
    2. In the Heatmapper window, click the "Custom Path" checkbox and enter the filepath you copied

That should make sure both systems are pointing to the same place.

24. GloriaVictis

GloriaVictis

Right, it works now. Noobed out ;)

25. Shawn-Halwes

Shawn-Halwes

I got my data rendering, but it appears the arrows are pointing in the opposite direction of the +Z axis when I record transform data.

Is this the expected behavior?

26. Shawn-Halwes

Shawn-Halwes

Is there a way to save Heatmapper visualization settings?

27. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hey

I'm having problems downloading the data, as I just see a clock :( next to AppRunning even after 10 minutes of waiting.

I managed to download data once and view it in the Visualizer, but since then it has been very difficult to see anything so any advice would be much appreciated. I've tried purging but without any success.

When I have been able to download data and see it in the raw directory I click in the Heatmapper to process and it says No Matching Data Found - any ideas?

Also, GetJobs seems to pull down a history of all jobs which is very confusing and there seems to be no way to reset this and start from scratch?

The other thing I noticed is that sometimes it downloads a manifest file and sometimes it does not - not sure why?

It seems like the UI could do with some love xxxx, so I hope this is in the works, as it looks very promising.

cheers

Nalin

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  28. WagDan

WagDan

Hi, I am seeing data in the validator:

Event type: custom

Event: Heatmap.camposition

In detail I see x,y,z,t data.

This seems to be correct. When I create a job to collect the raw data I get "no data".

The rekindled post says:

"How ‘near’? Let’s call it in the range of seconds to minutes. We think this a vast improvement over the previous system that forced you to wait hours before you could get a glance at your data."

Why do I not see any data when I try to download? I am using the "custom" setting in the drop down and the data range covers the day the data was generated (today).

Any ideas why I get no data? I see the events on the map in the live stream on the web page also.

29. Danielpunct

Danielpunct

Hi!

I want to post here a fix that I did in the HeatmapAggregator class. I just started experimenting with heatmaps and rawdata and my scenario was that I sent multiple heatmap events along with other custom events some with no extra parameters so the dictionary that was analysed by the heatmap parser was null.

Code (CSharp):
    1.                 // If no x/y, this isn't a Heatmap Event. Pass.
    2.                 if (datum == null || !datum.ContainsKey("x") || !datum.ContainsKey("y"))
    3.                 {
    4.                     // Re-enable this log line if you want to be see events that aren't valid for heatmapping
    5.                     //Debug.Log ("Unable to find x/y in: " + datum.ToString () + ". Skipping...");
    6.                     continue;
    7.                 }
    .. datum == null || .. is the test I added and now it seems to work, to ignore the invalid events.

Thanks

30. landscapeperformance

landscapeperformance

Hi,

I am trying to get some test data I have uploaded to work.

I can see the data in the dashboard and it has been validated. However, there is no manifest being downloaded with the data in the job and I am getting the same two errors that Gloria was getting; No manifest found and no matching data found.

I am sending some new data to see if it is just that data set but it is quite strange why this is happening but I don't think there is anything much I can do on my end to fix it.

31. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @landscapeperformance

Data takes around 1-2 hours to go through the Raw Data pipeline, so one possible reason for that is simply that your data hasn't processed yet. If it's being validated, it's probable that it'll be there (just maybe not quite yet).

32. landscapeperformance

landscapeperformance

Hi @marc_tanenbaum

To clarify, I am sending new data right now, but the data I was having issues with was from 4 days ago.

EDIT: I feel silly but I have just figured out that the get jobs button downloads the manifest itself. I have been getting jobs assuming that it only brings up the list and then have been purging to clear my data out, thus deleting the manifest. Its working just fine now.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  33. zerosoup

zerosoup

Hi @marc_tanenbaum,

I have been watching the What Makes VR Sticky session presented at Oculus Connect 4

At about 25:24 in, the source code for the sample HeatmapEventSender used shows the following lines
    HeatmapEvent.saveToLocal = true;
    HeatmapEvent.localSavePath = "./heatdata.txt";

These options appear in the vr branch of the code, but not master
    https://bitbucket.org/Unity-Technol...48a6b41204b518b81c1e3cc3890baebea4d108/?at=vr

1. Given Oculus Connect, I assume this is still a big part of your roadmap for Analytics? However looking at the history it appears nothing new has shipped publically since 2016-08-05 and the most recent work in the VR branch stopped almost a year ago. Is this still be actively developed?

2. Assuming things are still happening, will there be an release soon which will include the VR-branch updates or similar?

Many Thanks.

34. ccvannorman

ccvannorman

Hello,

Help! I cannot get my heatmap data to display. I've confirmed the heatmaps are sending correctly via Validator, and using Get Jobs I'm able to see some Jobs and download them.

I downloaded the jobs and unzipped and opened one of the jobs to confirm heatmap data is there. It is:

Code (CSharp):
    1. {"ts":1519159468541,"userid":"aff6f19208bf270488c3965f96e4290a","sessionid":"5215021602086812292","remote_ip":"50.202.37.133","platform":"WindowsEditor","sdk_ver":"u2017.3.1f1","debug_device":true,"user_agent":"UnityPlayer/2017.3.1f1 (UnityWebRequest/1.0, libcurl/7.51.0-DEV)","submit_time":1519159468711,"name":"Heatmap.PlayerLook","custom_params":{"t":"0.02676985","rx":"-0.04149251","ry":"0.2216604","x":"-0.06189496","rz":"0.9742408","y":"1.154424","clipName":"RoughAssemblyVolume","z":"0.4435844"},"appid":"5f2ce07c-d891-4a2a-a706-ff85b369e4a4","type":"custom"}
    In the UnityAnalytics360Video window:
    - hooked up skybox 360 material and video player in the scene (video player is loaded with the same clip used to record heatmaps)
    - verified the RawDataFolder is the same
    - confirmed my date range 02-19 through 02-23 covers the data in my RawDataFolder (some of which is pasted above) with timestamp 1519159468541 or GMT: Tuesday, February 20, 2018 8:44:28.541 PM

In the UnityAnalytics360Video window, I see:
    "There is no data currently to display".

The play button is greyed out.

What am I doing wrong?

UPDATE: After going back to Raw Data and downloading yet another Job, the Play button is no longer greyed out. I pressed the Play button in the UnityAnalytics360Video window, and I can see the video played in the Editor window. There is no heatmap. I checked the FlattenedHeatmap window as well. It is pitch black.

UPDATE2: I have recorded a 2 minute video of me going through my setup

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  35. pratheephw

pratheephw

Hi,

thanks for the nice tutorial on Heatmaps.
    I followed all steps as stated in the documentation.
    But, when I try to create a job am getting this following error "The remote server returned an error(400)".. what's the exact cause for this?

Attached Files:

36. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hi @zerosoup,

Sorry for the ridiculously late reply (though that itself should tell you something about the answer). The VR heatmaps project hasn't gotten as much love as we'd have wished for lately. We've been asked to focus on other products. That said, one of those other products was 360 Video Heatmaps which we released to the Asset Store in December. So while you can't expect anything major anytime soon on the VR build specifically, we have leveraged that work to make some forward progress.

Everyone here loves the heatmaps product, but with finite resources and time, we have to pick our battles.

37. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

Hey, sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Just a quick question - the material that you have assigned as Video Material, is that the same material that is in the scene and the video is rendering to? If not, try assigning the material that the video is being rendered to and give it a shot.

Let me know if that doesn't work, and I can look into what else it might be.

38. rambod

rambod

Unity Technologies

Ah sorry you're having some issues...

A few questions/things to try:
    - Do you know what version of the plugin you have?
    - Double check that the UPID/API key you have match those in the analytics dashboard for that project
    - Try changing the dropdown that says "AppRunning" to be "custom"
    - Double check to see the dates are valid

Hopefully one of those resolves your issue, but if not, let me know and I can look into what else it might be.

39. daville

daville

Hi, I want to start using Heatmaps... but I have a question that I haven't found in the documentation.

Do Heatmaps custom events, consume a different limit to the normal analytics custom events quota of 100 events per hour per device.

On page 3 of this thread (about 1.5 years ago) it says something about 5,000 events... but I couldn't find any official statement on the documentation for heatmaps.

how does that limit work? if I send a lot of heatmap events, can I run out of normal events, for my other analytic data?... I'm worried about consuming my 100 events per hour with lots of heatmap events.

40. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Heatmaps are just sending custom events underneath, so they are constrained by the same limit. However, that limit is adjusted when Heatmaps is enabled for your project.

41. daville

daville

And the new limit is 5,000 per Hour?

42. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

That is correct. Of course, with the caveat that Heatmaps is only meant for development / testing and not production. If the events become a strain on our servers, we would have to reduce the limit again. I don't think has actually ever happened though. Developers tend to be pretty understanding about this situation.

daville likes this.
  43. daville

daville

Oh I see. OK thanks :D

44. AndreyD

AndreyD

Hi, Marc. Love your work and excited to see more from Unity. Since the development of heatmap tools have stalled, would you mind if the open source community takes over the project? I'm a big fan of not letting useful things die, so I created a fork on Github at https://github.com/RVEALR/heatmaps where my company, RVEALR, would like to maintain the project as an open-source fork. I was able to transfer all commits along with a pull request. If the community likes to contribute, they can fork the project and submit a pull request into the new fork.

Since Unity heatmap visualization is very popular, I'd also propose to unify (no pun intended) and componetize the data transformation part so that other data sources can be used to visualize heatmaps within Unity engine. Let me know what everyone thinks here about this option.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
    Zimbres, Egil-Sandfeld and rambod like this.
  45. AndreyD

AndreyD

Hi @marc_tanenbaum,

I'm trying to revive multimap feature and had a few questions. The original design for that feature assumes that only the renderers change (made into a collection). Was there ever a play to change the data input and output too? Seems like have 1 aggregator the same for all renderers is very inflexible. Which brings another point, having 1 HeatmapDataProcessor for all heatmaps is not ideal as you may want to have multiple data sets to compare. Just want to hear your thoughts on it since I'm actively working on a solution right now.

46. u7pp

u7pp

Anyone able to get this working in WebGL with 2018.2.5? I get a compile error regarding BasePlatformWrapper.

47. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hey @u7ku,

Could you post a stack trace? BasePlatformWrapper doesn't sound familiar to me as a part of the heatmaps library. Possibly the error is unrelated to this package.

48. Katori

Katori

This is happening to me on the same Unity version and target platform.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets\Plugins\UnityAnalytics\WebGLWrapper.cs(4,32): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'BasePlatformWrapper' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

49. marc_tanenbaum

marc_tanenbaum

Unity Technologies

Hmmm...I think I see the issue here. Heatmaps hasn't been updated in rather awhile. Once upon a time, it made sense to ship along with the Analytics package (for Unity versions < 5.2). What you're seeing is (I'm reasonably sure) a side-effect of all that legacy stuff. Just go into the plugins folder and get rid of everything that's not the Heatmaps plugin (Android, iOS, Metro, UnityAnalytics, WP8 and the two DLLs). That should fix this issue.

Sorry about that.

50. Katori

Katori

Removing the Heatmaps is not an issue for us. The issue is that we want to use Heatmaps...it is part of what we pay for.

How do we use Heatmaps with the latest Unity?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.