Search Unity

Official Legacy Unity Analytics FAQs

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by sschan, Jan 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ganosal

Ganosal

Hello, I've been implementing Unity Analytics in a project and I have a question. Will an event that fails because of too many requests still be sent afterwards or not?

2. rayw24

rayw24

@Ganosal, unfortunately once the 100 events per hour limit has been reached, no more events will be sent.

Ganosal likes this.
  3. Ganosal

Ganosal

So if I still need that data to be sent (because it is needed for the funnels), then I will need to cache it somewhere wait an hour and try to send it again until it works?

4. rayw24

rayw24

@Ganosal, how many events do you think you would need to send in an hour per user? I cannot make any promises but I can take a look into the possibility of raising this limit for you to makes things easier.

Would you also mind sending me a private message with your project ID so that i can take a closer look?

Ganosal likes this.
  5. Ganosal

Ganosal

Thank you. We are okay with the current limit of events and just wanted to know how everything got handled exactly, so that we know what we should and shouldn't track.

erika_d likes this.
  6. vivalavida

vivalavida

hi,
    will enabling analytics in any way affect my project when I'm porting my project to an unsupported platform?

7. erika_d

erika_d

vivalavida likes this.
  8. pgeorges-dpt

pgeorges-dpt

It's been over a day since I saw my test events go through in the Integration tab and still nothing has shown in the Event Manager tab. Can I contact support to see if something is wrong?

9. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @pgeorges-dpt,

We had a system go down that has delayed processing to an unusually large degree. We have fixed the system and processing has resumed, so you should start seeing your data show up on the dashboard in the next day or so. We apologize very much for this outage. Offering a reliable service for our users is of the highest priority and we are working hard to resolve the issue and get the data flowing onto the dashboard again. Thanks very much for your patience!

(Also, you are always welcome to fill out a support ticket, which you can find in the support tab of your dashboard.)

10. erika_d

erika_d

rayw24 likes this.
  11. ecarter

ecarter

i changed the name of my app in the google store, that make any problem for the analytics?
    i changed again to match the name in analitycs and store but i still don't know if that was why i don't have any data from days.

thanks

12. erika_d

erika_d

13. Baste

Baste

How are we supposed to handle multi-platform games where only some of the platforms support Analytics?

In our case, we're building for both PC (supported) and WiiU (not supported). When we're building for WiiU, we have to open the Services window and turn off the Analytics toggle, otherwise the game won't build.

Problem is, if the Unity user on the build computer isn't set up as a team member in the Services dashboard (developer.cloud.unity3D), it can't turn off Analytics, as the Services menu won't open.

We really only need two pretty simple things to make the experience smooth:
    - the ability to wrap Analytics calls in #if UNITY_ANALYTICS, which would toggle as we enable/disable analytics
    - builds to WiiU and other platforms that doesn't support Analytics should not try to build Analytics, even if it's turned on.

Right now the experience is kind of a pain. We've got an automated build server, and the overhead added to support Analytics is kind of steep.

14. erika_d

erika_d

HI @Baste,

What version of the Unity editor are you using? You should be able to wrap your Analytics calls in a directive like that and have it compile...We're working on testing it now, but it would be helpful to know which editor version to test on!

15. Baste

Baste

My bad, actually. I didn't check the docs!

It seems like if Analytics isn't turned on, the #UNITY_ANALYTICS symbol isn't defined anywhere, so it doesn't show up for my autocomplete in VS. I had analytics off, and checked if it existed by doing this:

upload_2016-7-19_10-15-2.png

With Analytics turned on, it worked fine:

upload_2016-7-19_10-18-15.png

It would be nice if the symbol was defined even when Analytics was turned off, though!

Thanks for the help! The other complaint still stands, though. If Analytics is turned on in the project settings, but the build platform is set to something that doesn't support Analytics, the build crashes with a compilation error. It would be better if we got a warning somewhere that said "you have turned on Analytics but it's not supported for your platform, do you still want to build?". Being able to turn Analytics off if the user's not added to the project would also be great.

16. spottedzebra

spottedzebra

How can I make builds using editor scripts / a build server while using Unity Analytics? (Note I'm not using Unity Cloud Build.) I find that anytime I switch target platforms from Mac to PC it gets messed up and I need to close / re-open Unity and re-configure the link for the project. Looking at the ProjectSettings folder I don't see anything for analytics, either. I'd really like to have a consistent build process for platforms and use Unity Analytics but currently am finding it to be either/or.

17. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @Baste,

What version of the editor are you using? You're correct that this is a bug on our end, but it has been fixed in 5.4, and should be working. i.e. it should allow you to build with Analytics turned on even on unsupported platforms, as long as your code is surrounded by the ifdefs.

Hi @spottedzebra,

Can you explain more what you mean by messed up (do you have error logs for example)? I don't believe there is currently a way to enable/disable Analytics from a script, although we're looking into it, but here are some docs on using build scripts with Unity projects, if you haven't seen them before: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/BuildPlayerPipeline.html, http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/BuildPipeline.html

18. Baste

Baste

5.3.5! Glad to hear it's fixed. Looking forward to 5.4 shipping.

erika_d likes this.
  19. erika_d

erika_d

20. spottedzebra

spottedzebra

@erika_d what I'm observing is that if go to build settings and change my target platform from, say, Windows to Mac I have to reconfigure the link between my project and Unity Analytics each time. As a consequence I don't believe I could automate my builds because every time they changed target platform they would require manual intervention to establish the link to Unity Analytics. There aren't any errors or crashes, the link is just broken such that it either doesn't appear linked in the Services tab, or the Unity API returns "Not Connected" until I unlink and re-link the project.

21. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @spottedzebra,

There are in general issues with the services window sometimes losing connection to projects (often related to spotty internet connections, firewalls, or switching dev environments from Windows to Mac and vice versa), however we've never experienced anything as consistent as what you describe. I was not able to duplicate just now (using Mac OSX dev environment, Unity 5.3.4, and building to Mac and Windows x86 architectures) however I did notice that the first time I switched from Windows target to Mac target that the Services window refreshed. Since the Services window does require internet connections, it seems possible that maybe it tries and fails to refresh when you build...

If you can give us more details about your development environment we can try to duplicate the issue. What operating system is your dev environment? Are you also switching that when you switch targets? What version of Unity are you using? Can you think of any other details about your specific set up that could help us try and duplicate the issue?

22. Narendraom

Narendraom

Hey, Unity Team, I have integrated Unity Analytics in my game. I want to see particular user detail like gender, age and what IAP he performed. Can we get this, I didn't find anything regarding this, test data is generated but when we use it on mobile i didn't get any information.
    your help is precious.

Thanks

23. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @Narendraom,

We offer a special type of custom event called User Attributes which you can use to send gender and age details: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsUserAttributes.html This isn't information we gather in any way, so you still have to ask the user to give you the info, but once you get it you can use the User Attribute events to send it to us, and then our default gender and age segments (and any custom ones you want to implement) will work.

For what IAP was purchased, we don't currently have a system in place to send this by default, so you can implement this using custom events. When you grant the user an IAP, send a custom event either called something like itemPurchased with the itemType as a parameter, if you want to group all the items into one event, or with a name like coinsPurchased (or whatever type of items you're selling) if you want a different event for each item. https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsCustomEvents.html

Also is your question about not seeing events on mobile a separate question? Are you looking in the validator on the integration pages? Builds on mobile have to have development build checked for events to show up in the validator. All events (development build or not) will show up in the dashboard ~ 24 hours after being sent.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  24. spottedzebra

spottedzebra

@erika_d

I've just run into the issue again today so here is some additional information while it's fresh in my mind:

* Started with the build target being Windows. Note all steps taking place on Windows 10 unless otherwise noted.
    * Linked the Unity project against Unity Analytics.
    * Built the game. Ran it locally and confirmed that analytics were enabled via logging.
    * Without closing the editor changed target to Mac OS X Universal. (This required replacing some DLLs in the plugins folder, too)
    * Services tab reported link between project and Unity Analytics was still present
    * Built the game. Switched to Mac. Started game. Confirmed analytics not running via logging.
    * Returned to Windows. Opened Unity project. Now Ser tab reports no link between project and Unity Analytics.
    * Re-establish link, re-build Mac version, re-test on Mac OS X: things work as expected.

I'm using Unity 5.3.3f1

25. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @spottedzebra

Thanks for this additional information and such clear steps! We will try to duplicate it and I'll let you know the result.

26. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @spottedzebra,

We have been unable to duplicate this issue so far...In the interest of replicating it as best as possible, we've been using a Mac booted into windows to test the Windows part of the flow. Is that what you're doing as well or do you have two separate computers (Mac and Windows)? If it's the same machine is it a dual boot or a virtual machine or something else?

We were also not able to duplicate the need to replace DLLs, which sounds odd...Perhaps you could try a reinstallation of the Mac OS support on the editor?

Also what type of events are you looking for (i.e. default analytics events, custom events, transaction events)? And how are you detecting the logs of them? If possible could you share the logs you're seeing?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
  27. Narendraom

Narendraom

Hi @erika_d
    Thanks for your reply. I am sending User Attributes. How can i see it (gender, age) on analytics sheet on browser after hitting this custom event.

28. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @Narendraom,

The User Attributes events are how we separate users into our default gender, age, and location segments. So it's not like custom events where you see it as a metric or custom event on the Data Explorer. Instead you see it as a segment on the Data Explorer which you can filter other events and metrics by. You can also see the counts of how many users fall into each segment in the Segment Builder, or see the raw user attribute events in Raw Data Export, if that is available for your app.

The User Attributes Integration page will also show events in live time, for builds in the editor or with development build checked.

29. arasem

arasem

Hello

I am looking into integrating unity analytics. I basically have 2 questions
    1)are custom events based on unique user or based on total count? Basically if I have an event that is triggered when a red box is opened and the user opens this box multiple times, would it be reported as 1 or would it be reported as say 7 times? I couldn't see the answer to this in unity docs.

2)we have a targeted audience for the app. I was wondering, can we attach the user email address along with an event(let's says as a string parameter) . One of the team members suggested we contact the users who failed at certain point to ask them for feedback.

Thank you so much

30. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @arasem,

Thanks for looking into Unity Analytics!

1) There are a few ways you can look at your data, which would give different answers to this question. On the data explorer by default we show the count of unique users for each day. Depending on the parameters attached to the event you sent, you could also the count of times the event was sent, sum of numerical values sent, and avg of values sent. Also if you are a Unity Pro subscriber, we offer Raw Data Export which will let you see every event you sent us.

In short, yes, if you sent an event every time a box was open, you could see the number of unique users who had sent it!

2) We strongly discourage sending events with personally identifiable information to the Analytics service. You can check out this thread for more info on this: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/creating-dashboard-from-user-data.426517/#post-2756755

Hope that helps!

31. trooper

trooper

G'day. We're wondering if UA could allow us to test our own dashboards / data processing systems?
    We're trying to develop our own dashboard but at the moment it seems it's only possible to do raw data exports from the main explorer. As you know this only gets refreshed about once a day, meaning every significant change has to wait an entire day before we can generate data to test on.

A 5 minute turnaround akin to the Validator window would be much easier for us to work with. This type of speed isn't necessary for release, only during development and debug. For our needs we're basically looking for gathering live data (raw) during debug that we can run tests on and ask questions of.

If it was possible to export data directly from the validator window, this could work.
    I understand that the slow refresh speeds are a result of data processing costs, so alternatively could we get some increased speed by unity simply not processing the data? It won't be necessary for unity to process the data as we can do that ourselves - we only need a fast turnaround on the raw export.

Is there any way we can achieve this with UA (given that UA is by far the easiest to implement)?

Regards

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
  32. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @trooper,

We offer a Raw Data Export feature for Unity Pro users, or any projects created before June 28th. It has a turnaround time of about 15 minutes or less from when data was received by our servers to being able to download the data! You should be able to find it as a tab in your Analytics dashboard.

33. trooper

trooper

@erika_d Regarding 'when the data was recieved', does that refer to when the events are first intercepted (validator style) or when the data completes processing?

34. erika_d

erika_d

Hi @trooper,

That would be when they are first intercepted (i.e. seen in Validator)

trooper likes this.
  35. trooper

trooper

Thank you for the quick response !

erika_d likes this.
  36. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

37. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

38. Chadivision

Chadivision

I was just wondering if there is any update on the ability to disable analytics in code?

Here's my situation...we have an app, using analytics, that has app store approval for iOS. Our attorney wrote a privacy policy for us and checked to make sure we're in compliance with COPPA, but we have not yet paid her to do the legal work of doing the same thing for the similar laws in the EU, for example. We plan to update the privacy policy at some point, but our short term plan was to enable analytics (we don't collect any other data outside of this) only for the US and disable analytics for all other regions.

Short of making two separate builds (one with analytics and one without), is there currently any way to accomplish this? Thanks.

39. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Chadivision,

There currently isn't a way to selectively enable Unity Analytics for specific countries (or for specific users). I think having separate builds, while not ideal, would be the only way to accomplish what you need.

It is a good idea though, so you should consider submitting this feature to our Feedback Request page:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/forums/unity/suggestions?category=analytics

We use the feedback from these pages to determine what features developers are most interested in, so we can best focus our resources on providing those features.

40. Chadivision

Chadivision

Thanks for the reply.

This game is fairly small and will probably not have a huge number of updates, so the two-build approach is not ideal but doable. I added a feature request. This would be really nice to see in a future build.

Thanks for all of your work on this. I'm really impressed with what I've seen from Analytics so far.

erika_d and ap-unity like this.
  41. Antistone

Antistone

Is there a way to configure my Unity editor to automatically change the projectid when creating a build, so that it will automatically be different in standalone builds than it is when running inside the editor?

Or is this solution targeted more for developers who want to make a one-time change when their game is first released?

42. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

That is not currently supported, but it has been discussed before. There is already a feedback request for a similar feature. If this is something that would be useful, then you can vote for this feature or create your own request:
    https://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/change-cloud-project-id-at-runtime

Yes, when we suggest two separate projects, that scenario (testing vs live) is generally what we're responding to.

43. pangaeavr

pangaeavr

Dear all
    The analytics can resived datas when my project run on PC,but when run on the android or ios can not resived datas.why ? what is wrong?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  44. pangaeavr

pangaeavr

Dear all
    I upload user attribute like Analytics.SetUserId("1") and Analytics.SetUserBirthYear(1999) when user register
    Now, I want to know their relationship is "and" or "or" ?

does it mean one user his id =1 and birthday=1999?
    or have two users ,one user id = 1 and another user birthday=1999?
    which one?

thanks

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  45. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @pangaeavr
    That shouldn't be happening. Would you be able to submit a support ticket with your project ID?
    https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/support/

It will be AND. Those functions will set the attributes for the individual user.

Just a note though, the User ID will not be exposed in the dashboard. It will only be visible if you use Raw Data Export.
    We automatically generate a unique userid per user and we use that ID throughout our system.

46. pangaeavr

pangaeavr

Thanks,I have sent my question to support center

ap-unity likes this.
  47. jonnykrook

jonnykrook

Hi there,

I have a couple of questions as I am using Unity as a case study for a data analytics research project I'm submitting.

Please can you provide me with answers to the following questions?

1. How does Unity provide data analytics and using which platform?
    2. Are you satisfied with the way this platform provide the analytics?
    3. What do you feel is lacking in the analytics platform you are using?
    4. Do you provide analytics and dashboards internally, for your customers or for both?

Thanks so much!

48. FelipePlets

FelipePlets

Is it possible to use UnityAnalytics with Windows 10 Mobile?

49. savantedroid

savantedroid

I am using Unity 5.5 and I still have the same issue.

50. tuandq77

tuandq77

Dear Unity Analytics Team.
    I have some question about Analytics Page : https://analytics.cloud.unity3d.com/projects/

1 . I want view all my game sort by Daily Active User or Daily New User. (don't need sort by Organization)
    But when i select "sort by DAU" and press F5 button. It turn back to order by Organization. I only care about DAU or Daily new user. Don't need Organization
    Could you fix it ?

2 . could you add more feature "Daily New User" to Analytics Page ?
    I just see DAU | MAU | Users | Revenue . When i want see Daily new user. I must click to one Project and select "Data Explore" and select "New User" . Very complicated
    Could you fix it ?

Thank you so much <3

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.