Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Ads Reviews

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by vivoilpazzo1, Aug 28, 2014.

?

Unity Ads for monetization

1. Perfect

28.6%
  2. Decent

46.2%
  3. non recommended

25.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Please keep in mind that the availability of ads is not guaranteed. This is why we provide methods to first check if ads are ready and can be shown. Users are limited to 25 ads per day per app. They are also limited to seeing the same ad only once per hour.

For most of Europe and North America, this typically isn't an issue. In countries where fill may be limited, the effects of this can be more obvious. For instance, if there are only 12 ad campaigns available in a user's country, they will only be able to see up to 12 ad campaigns per hour.

In any case, if the user exhausts their daily limit of 25 ads, they won't see any more ads until the next day. During development, it's recommended that you enable test mode to ensure you will always have test ads available.

2. john-jds

john-jds

I understand. I just think it's weird. You're encouraging people to work around your inventory issues. The only solution I see for developers is to integrate multiple ad services and call others when yours aren't available? That's pushing developers away from your service... but whatever, that's just a personal opinion thing. I'm not in the best mood right now so I apologize if it sounds flippant.

I currently can't submit my app because it stops serving ads after showing 3 (either interstitial, reward, or combo). This only occurs when testing on an iOS device. Works fine on Android build (in unity editor, and on device), also works on mac in unity editor. Ads are shown forever with no problem. It does not work on iOS device, it stops showing ads after 3. I have tried building with testMode on and off (on is supposed to guarantee I get ads I believe, so I don't think it's an inventory issue). The response just says "failed". I have no idea why it is behaving like this and I have no idea if that's expected behavior? Should I just submit and "hope" ads will get served on a live build once it's approved on the store? I've worked 12 hours on this today and been searched the internet for hours now. I came across many people with issues of ads not showing and I've yet to see any solutions offered, just explanations that ads aren't guaranteed. I guess there's just too many possible things that could go wrong to identify and help? I'm basically using the same code from the sample included in the asset store package. Playing on iOS device is where it breaks, all my testers saw same behavior so it's not local wifi issue.

This has all been very simple and straight forward until I noticed that it actually wasn't working on iOS devices. I was literally about to submit for final eval to Apple this morning. I'm at the point where I might just look into other services tomorrow. Very frustrating. It was so good until now.

3. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Please make sure you have the latest version of Unity Ads in your project. At one point we were only showing 3 test ads per game session (allowing developers to test cases where ad availability is limited). However, this is not the case anymore with the latest version. After the 3 test ads are shown, the campaign list refreshes with the same 3 test ads and you can watch them all over again. Ads aren't limited while test mode is enabled.

As for limiting production ads, it's not so much an inventory issue as it is a quality issue. We intentionally limit ads to 25 a day per user (on a rolling 24hr basis per ad) as a means to maintain the quality of impressions on our network. Ads are most effective within the first few impressions. After 25 ads, their effectiveness is essentially negligible.

If you are testing with test mode disabled, the rolling 24hr limit could be why you are only seeing a few ads at a time.

You need to be careful in this case, though. You are not permitted by our Terms of Services to click on ads in your own game. To avoid accidentally violating the Terms of Service agreement, we strongly recommend that you leave test mode enabled while testing ads.

Let's continue this support issue in a private conversation. I'll provide you with my TestFlight account. If you can send me an invite, I'll test the functionality of ads in your project for you.

4. john-jds

john-jds

Lots of good information there, thank you.

5. Victor-M240

Victor-M240

Night! ^^

I'm new user of Unity Ads. I published my first game. xD

I have some questions about Unity ads:
    - What is "Views & offers"? It's only statistics as eCPM?
    - (about "Views & offers") Once I saw 10 views = $0.2 about...now I see 10 views = $2. Why? O.O
    - Each 1000 impressions I earn something. I don't have this number, but I earn $0.6? '0' Why? :/ it's a part of what I will gain with 1000?

I'm confuse. :( I have a lot to learn. ^^
    Thanks for listening.
    And have a good nigth.

6. Salazar

Salazar

Hello @Victor M.

I suppose this post should help to your question.

Regards,

Victor-M240 likes this.
  7. Victor-M240

Victor-M240

Thank you very much @Salazar

I'll see now.

Salazar likes this.
  8. Victor-M240

Victor-M240

Hi Again! Night! ^^
    I have more some questions.

The 1000 impressions it's the number of "videos started"?
    What is the weight between "videos started" and "videos completed"? Is it the quality of future videos?
    I'm thinking in put "skip video" after 5 seconds.

Thanks for listening.
    And have a good nigth.

9. khayati

khayati

10. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

@khayati: This is expected behavior. Users are limited to a maximum of 25 ads per day (a rolling 24hr basis per ad).

11. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

@Victor M.: There isn't a predetermined weight between started and completed views. You could use completion rate to scale your expected eCPM to estimate a weight or potential eCPM.

12. yoash

yoash

Hey guys..

Changing my username/email does not seem to work. It sends the authentication email, when I click through the email it says "Successful" but my username is still the old email..

Is this also happening for anyone else?

Thanks

13. AlanGreyjoy

AlanGreyjoy

Wow.... This entire thread tosses the Crossy Roads revenue from UnityAds right out the window :p

14. neeraj singh

neeraj singh

15. ttesla

ttesla

I'm thinking Crossy Road's revenue was exaggerated on conscious to promote Unity Ads. I wonder am I the only one who thinks this way?

firativerson and AlanGreyjoy like this.
  16. Victor-M240

Victor-M240

How can I check if an app of video was installed? Or just how can I check if "download free" button was clicked.

Thank you! xD

17. astrologo

astrologo

I was using unity ads for a while, and I can't recommend it at all. I'm moving back to admob or mobgold, or any other.

Unity is a great engine, with great support and good spirit. Thats why I started to use unity ads. But in my opinión unity ads doens't look like unity at all.

Their system is completely dark; they do payments as they want, or it should be better said, it seems they are keeping it all to themselves.

At the beggining I got 0,21, and since weeks I'm getting nothing more.

Ad requests: 4698
    Videos started: 1228
    Videos completed: 749

18. Aurigan

Aurigan

Great: Integration was super-easy and ads work well in practice, on devices.
    Good: Getting somewhere around $9/$14 Android/iOS eCPM after a few hundred thousand videos shown.
    Bad: Very limited historical data shown, can't select time ranges for dashboard stats, can't see eCPM per platform etc.
    Unbelievably awful: To get paid you have to manually invoice Unity ... just ... what?

Review: it's ok, currently better to go with a different solution that might take a few minutes more to get set up but wont waste hours of your time invoicing and will provide more detailed stats.

19. frodoe7

frodoe7

I don`t use it , because of 2 reasons
    1- they don`t have a banner ads
    2- they don`t have a direct payout system (you must send a message to them with too many details)
    and you don`t know if they will read the message or not / send the money in time or not

20. AdhamT

AdhamT

The Unity Ads dashboard is a piece of ****. When I added my project, it was added normally. I changed my organization's name but it didn't change in the dashboard. I add two other projects but the name didn't change. Finally, I added the project using Unity Services in the Editor and the new organization name appeared but in the top right where you can sign out it didn't change. I published my app with Unity Ads integrated and got views (completed views). I know that you don't get revenue except after 1K views or maybe even 6K views but I know also that eCPM stands for estimated cost per 1000 impressions. ESTIMATED. Then, it should tell me how much is the eCPM, but it doesn't, it's ZERO. I contacted Unity support with no reply. I am very disappointed with Unity Ads that I consider using Chartboost.

21. dougbello

dougbello

Hello comunity,

I have some playmaker commands for unity ads but they are obsolete.

**this one is UnityAds_Initialize**

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using UnityEngine.Advertisements;
    7. using HutongGames.PlayMaker;
    10. namespace HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions
    12. {
    14. [ActionCategory("UnityAds")]
    16. [Tooltip("Initializes UnityAds, this must be called before any other UnityAds Actions")]
    18. public class UnityAds_Initialize : FsmStateAction
    20. {
    22. [RequiredField]
    24. public FsmString GameId;
    26. public bool adTestMode;
    28. public bool adPrecache;
    32. public override void Reset()
    34. {
    36. adTestMode = false;
    38. adPrecache = false;
    40. }
    42. public override void OnEnter()
    44. {
    46. #if UNITY_IOS || UNITY_ANDROID
    48. Advertisement.Initialize (GameId.Value,adTestMode);
    50. Advertisement.allowPrecache = (adPrecache);
    52. #endif
    54. Finish();
    56. }
    60. }
    62. }

**And the other file is:**

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using UnityEngine.Advertisements;
    7. using HutongGames.PlayMaker;
    10. namespace HutongGames.PlayMaker.Actions
    12. {
    14. [ActionCategory("UnityAds")]
    16. [Tooltip("Checks to see if a Unity advert is availible")]
    18. public class UnityAds_ShowAd : FsmStateAction
    20. {
    22. public bool usePlacementID;
    24. public FsmString adPlacementID;
    26. public bool pauseEngineWhileAd;
    28. public FsmEvent adUnavailableEvent;
    30. public FsmEvent adResultCompleted;
    32. public FsmEvent adResultFailed;
    34. public FsmEvent adResultSkipped;
    37. public override void Reset()
    39. {
    41. usePlacementID = false;
    43. pauseEngineWhileAd = false;
    45. }
    48. public void HandleShowResult (ShowResult result)
    50. {
    52. switch (result)
    54. {
    56. case ShowResult.Finished:
    58. Fsm.Event(adResultCompleted);
    60. break;
    62. case ShowResult.Skipped:
    64. Fsm.Event(adResultSkipped);
    66. break;
    68. case ShowResult.Failed:
    70. Fsm.Event(adResultFailed);
    72. break;
    74. }
    76. }
    79. public override void OnEnter()
    81. {
    83. #if UNITY_IOS || UNITY_ANDROID
    85. bool adAvailable = Advertisement.isReady();
    87. if(adAvailable)
    89. {
    91. if (pauseEngineWhileAd)
    93. {
    95. if (usePlacementID)
    97. {
    99. Advertisement.Show(adPlacementID.Value, new ShowOptions {pause = true, resultCallback = HandleShowResult});
    101. } else {
    103. Advertisement.Show(null, new ShowOptions {pause = true, resultCallback = HandleShowResult});
    105. }
    107. } else {
    109. if (usePlacementID)
    111. {
    113. Advertisement.Show(adPlacementID.Value, new ShowOptions {resultCallback = HandleShowResult});
    115. } else {
    117. Advertisement.Show(null, new ShowOptions {resultCallback = HandleShowResult});
    119. }
    121. }
    123. }
    125. else
    127. {
    129. Fsm.Event(adUnavailableEvent);
    131. }
    133. #endif
    136. Finish();
    138. }
    140. }
    143. }

**The erros unity is giving me are:**

Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/UnityAds/UnityAds_Initialize.cs(27,47): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Advertisements.Advertisement.allowPrecache' is obsolete: `Advertisement.allowPrecache is no longer supported and does nothing'

Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/UnityAds/UnityAds_ShowAd.cs(46,58): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Advertisements.Advertisement.isReady(string)' is obsolete: `Use Advertisement.IsReady method instead'

Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/UnityAds/UnityAds_ShowAd.cs(53,106): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Advertisements.ShowOptions.pause' is obsolete: `ShowOptions.pause is no longer supported and does nothing, video ads will always pause the game'

Assets/PlayMaker/Actions/UnityAds/UnityAds_ShowAd.cs(55,91): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Advertisements.ShowOptions.pause' is obsolete: `ShowOptions.pause is no longer supported and does nothing, video ads will always pause the game'

Assets/scripts/controle ads.cs(26,35): warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.Advertisements.Advertisement.isReady(string)' is obsolete: `Use Advertisement.IsReady method instead'

I can not code a single line so I was hoping someone could help me fixing this new commands on this script I have.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Doug.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  22. Salazar

Salazar

You should check this thread out.

Unity 5.2 and Unity Ads + Unity Analitics, works like a charm, smooth workflow, well done, thank you.

Regards,

23. dannypb

dannypb

I am having an extreme problem with Unity Ads. I allowed only family and educational ads for my first commercial app release. It was immediately banned by google for links to a gambling site. After talking with google, I found that it was a draft kings ad. Now I have 3 problems.

1. Why is Unity Ads sending gambling ads to a device when it should only allow family and educational ads? I confirmed that I am blocking 16 categories, and only allowing the family and educational categories. I also made sure I am uning my correct ad ID. The category system is broken. I am also getting lucktastic and fan duel gambling app ads. Unity did block the draft kings one for me, but others still come through.

2. Why did google suspend my app when the link is to their play site? If gambling is against their policy, then why do they have gambling apps in the play store. I dont want the gambling ads in my educational apps, but their reaction seems harsh since they are refusing to lift a suspension for linking to an ad on their own app store.

3. I can't release the app. The response I got from unity ads was basically, wow, we will block draft kings for you. What about the other ads and the categories? How do I not get my apps and eventually my account suspended? Can you guys at Unity Ads tell me what the issue is and when it's going to be fixed? Is the someone at Unity who has is a contact person for the google play store that can address these suspension issues for me? I seem to be getting nowhere.

Thanx :) Please help!

24. canerdnt

canerdnt

Attached you can find my income and video statiscs from Unity Ads. This seems dramatically low than I'm expected and far from what Unity promised. I'd not recommend Unity Ads as your main income for your app. I'm also awaiting an explanation about my low income status from Unity experts.

2$ for 3k videos, it is funny.

Attached Files:

Bilgisoft likes this.
  25. NewPath

NewPath

After reading all the horror stories about monetization, I thought I'd chime in with my story about trying to advertise.

Long story short, I wanted to advertise through UnityAds, but the dashboard is broken. I am unable to deposit money. I have tried reaching out to support, but I've gotten no response after 7 days. I also posted in the forum and a Unity person said they'd ping support. Still no response 4 days later. I was literally trying to give Unity money and couldn't get anyone to respond to me. There is a clear management problem with the business unit running UnityAds - you have customers wanting to BUY but cannot. If this were an American company the operations manager and product owner would already be fired.

I will definitely warn all indie developers within my social networks to stay away from UnityAds, which is very disappointing because I think the engine and the community around the engine is fantastic.

26. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

I'm on Unity 5.2.1.

On iOS9, the ads do not work.

I have NSAllowsArbitraryLoads to true in my plist

But I have this log :

Unity Ads initialized with 25 campaigns and 2 zones

and :

Initializing Unity Ads version 1405 (Unity 5.2.1f1) with gameId 1005065

2015-09-30 21:47:35.101 ab[5486:1149354] Requesting Unity Ads ad plan from https://impact.applifier.com/mobile...rsion=1405&rawAdvertisingTrackingId=DE437EFD-

(so unity ads is successfully initialized)

BUT :

ou are using download over http. Currently unity adds NSAllowsArbitraryLoads to Info.plist to simplify transition, but it will be removed soon. Please consider updating to https.

Thans for the help !

27. Nadan

Nadan

Theoretically if you earn enought money can you spend it on advertising your own game with UnityAds? So can the money earned be moved to the Ad Budget inside Unity Ads? Without moving any actual money back and forth?

28. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

@dougbello: It looks like your PlayMaker script is using the old Unity Ads API. The API was changed a while back, but we allowed backwards compatibility with deprecation warnings up until just recently (Asset Pkg v1.3.0 / Unity 5.2 / SDK 1.5.0). Check out this post to see a list of API changes that were made.

@dannypb: We had a few reports with this same issue. We had a casino ad running under the wrong category, so it wasn't being filtered properly where the casino category was checked in the Genre Blacklist. This is fixed now.

@ababab5: This issue is fixed with the latest patch release version of Unity 5.2, which is using Unity Ads version 1502.

@Nadan: Sorry, due to tax reasons, we are unable to transfer the monetization earnings balance to the advertiser balance.

29. vtooooo

vtooooo

Hi, I have released my game 2 days ago on Android and I think the eCPM is very low, can you tell me if its something wrong?

Thanks!

unityAds.JPG

30. Noman-Maqsood

Noman-Maqsood

Hello friends is there anyone who knows about time span taken by unity to send you payments after you cross the threshold .

31. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

32. Noman-Maqsood

Noman-Maqsood

Please tell me what is the reason I got ads in my game displayed only for the first time when I install my game on a device and never again .

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System;
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using UnityEngine.Advertisements;
    5. public class AdvertisementTest : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public static int unityshow=0;
    8.     void Awake() {
    9.         if (Advertisement.isSupported) {
    10.             Advertisement.Initialize ("69712");
    11.         } else {
    12.             Debug.Log("Platform not supported");
    13.         }
    14.     }
    15.     void OnGUI() {
    16. //        if(GUI.Button(new Rect(10, 10, 150, 50), Advertisement.IsReady() ? "Show Ad" : "Waiting...")) {
    17. //            // Show with default zone, pause engine and print result to debug log
    18. //            Advertisement.Show(null, new ShowOptions {
    19. //                resultCallback = result => {
    20. //                    Debug.Log(result.ToString());
    21. //                }
    22. //            });
    23. //        }
    25.         if (unityshow>0 && Advertisement.IsReady()){
    27.             // Show with default zone, pause engine and print result to debug log
    29.             Advertisement.Show(null, new ShowOptions {
    30.                 resultCallback = result => {
    31.                     Debug.Log(result.ToString());
    32.                 }
    33.             });
    34.             Debug.Log("unity");
    35.         }
    36.         unityshow--;
    38.         }
    39.     }
    Here is the script I am using

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2015
  33. Noman-Maqsood

Noman-Maqsood

34. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

@Noman Maqsood: I wouldn't recommend using the OnGUI method to show an ad unless you are using some GUI element to actually show the ad.

Also, you want to allow enough time for Unity Ads to be initialized and ready to show before calling show. In your case, the call to show would happen within the first frame after the app is loaded. Because you are not evaluating the value of result before subtracting one from the unityshow value, the call to show won't happen again if the value of unityshow is equal to or less than 0.

I would recommend checking out the Unity Ads Helper project. If you simply want to show an ad when your game starts, you can use the 10 step integration guide to show an ad on load.

Noman-Maqsood likes this.
  35. Noman-Maqsood

Noman-Maqsood

@unity-nikkolai sir actually the thing is by using the commented part in my code give above we get a button which determine either we are ready to show ad or not and it is independent of any counter time.
    Then why it shows waiting all the times except the very first time.
    Actually in unity3d I got ad function implemented perfectly but there problem in android device.

36. gshape

gshape

"@ababab5: This issue is fixed with the latest patch release version of Unity 5.2, which is using Unity Ads version 1502."

Hi @unity-nikkolai , just tried on iOS 9 and Unity Ads version 1502 which includes in latest patch of Unity 5.2.1p4.
    Yet, I still get the error and the ad doesn't show. Could you please advice?

"You are using download over http. Currently unity adds NSAllowsArbitraryLoads to Info.plist to simplify transition, but it will be removed soon. Please consider updating to https."

37. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

@gshape: I'm not seeing the same error message when running my test app. I'm running the Unity Ads Helper project on iOS 9.0.2, built from Unity 5.2.1p4 (Unity Ads 1502) with Xcode 7.0.1.

From the log message, this doesn't seem to be a Unity Ads specific issue. Do you have any other SDKs included in your project? It's possible this log message may also be caused by a project setting.

Can you send me a link to your build in a private message?

38. nikkouskouk

nikkouskouk

I am using Unity Rewarded ads in my game .After i see about 3 ads i cannot see any more...So whats going on?No more ads to display at my country?pff....

39. Noman-Maqsood

Noman-Maqsood

@nikkouskouk Actually the thing is we have limited number of ads for a user per device and for limited time after almost 3 hr the user will again able to see the ads and for one day maximum 25 ads per device and for one app are allowed.
    Hope you are clear now.

40. nikkouskouk

nikkouskouk

ok thanks.Lets say, the user has two games installed with unity ads from different developers.if the user see 3 ads in the first game will this affect the counter on the second game too or not?

41. Noman-Maqsood

Noman-Maqsood

No both of them are standalone if their game id is different.

42. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@dougbello Remember to use the code tags, okay? :)

unity-batmandar likes this.
  43. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@Noman Maqsood are you having posting trouble? You are posting the same thing many times.

unity-batmandar likes this.
  44. pritam

pritam

does unity pay for incomplete views. ? If yes, how much less (%) than completed views?

45. samshosho

samshosho

How to remove this,
    "You are using download over http. Currently unity adds NSAllowsArbitraryLoads to Info.plist to simplify transition, but it will be removed soon. Please consider updating to https."

from showing up in Xcode, also how to connect to my database with https instead of http ? dow i have to go through my code and just make sure that any call to http is written as https ?

46. krashed

krashed

so do you find unityads worthwhile? has your problem been attended to?

47. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi all,

My android app is getting rejected

Your app has not been accepted into Designed for Families, and the update is not live on Google Play.

I have selected that my game is targeted at under 13 and my age on designed for families is children and adults which states ads should be compatible with under 13 so I am confused.

Is there other settings that need changing? I have looked at genre filter but none seem to be a problem for childredn.

Appreciate any advice

Thanks

Andy

48. vagelis199

vagelis199

why there's no statistic like those above with days and how much you make etc on me? where do you see those?

49. mentolatux

mentolatux

hello guys i have a questions, how to change from $ to euro on my account unity ads and i have more than 100 $ and i send Payment Request. at accountpayable-fi@unity3d.com but email return back with not send , helpp !!!

50. gbviktor

gbviktor

UnityAds It's just one big trouble, non recomend to use for now
    - to simply statistic, not serious, no country info
    - no info about unpaid ad requests
    - lower eCPM
    - i can't use earned money to start company, can't get payout, can't do nothing.
    - payout is very very complex, takes a long time, and currently not possible.

- i can't transfer my projects to new Ads Dashboard during the month.
    But i do waiting for changes...

Bilgisoft likes this.
  51. hybridAli

hybridAli

Unity ads are as said easy to integrate and understand yet I have one issue which is i don't know rather common or not but for me test ads are working fine on most of android devices but they just don't appear on few (e.g samsung tab s2).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.