Search Unity

Unity Ads Reviews

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by vivoilpazzo1, Aug 28, 2014.

?

Unity Ads for monetization

1. Perfect

28.6%
  2. Decent

46.2%
  3. non recommended

25.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vivoilpazzo1

vivoilpazzo1

Dear Unity users,
    Would you like to post your review about the new Unity Ads here :D

2. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Oh, and in case you select something else than "Perfect", please tell your reasons and we'll fix it ;)

Cheers,
    Heikki
    UnityAds Product Manager

SaltwaterAssembly and John3D like this.
  3. needhamca

needhamca

When I query if a picture zone ad is ready I always get back false. If i switch the zone in the admin menu to video it will work. Also, are keys no longer required for incentives when using the asset downloaded from the Unity asset store? Sometimes I query if an incentive ad is ready, I receive a true and then I get an error when actually attempting to show the ad(Might be something i am doing weird) most of the time it works (and I can code around that ..its just annoying). Am I suppose to only use the default zones that are created when adding a new game on the admin site or should I be able to create my own? I know the old site had a way to create your own zones and required you to create individual incentive keys. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I have some other issues, but will need to check back to the list I was keeping.

4. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi needhamca,

Pictures zones isReady: this probably because there is no campaigns available for your device/country combination. We are working hard to bring in more advertising campaigns with wider targets.

Rewarded ads: Keys are not required anymore. We've simplified the reward handling as the old way to use them was (IMO) a bit too complicated. You should use the resultCallback in ShowOptions and check for ShowResult.Finished. Then you can give the reward item(s) to the user.

Also: it is good idea to use the default rewarded zone for that, because it has already a configuration that makes most sense (no skipping, videos only)

Zones: Right now you can use only the default zones that are created when you add your game. There is a problem in our admin that sometimes messes-up the zone configuration. We have disabled adding new zones / deleting existing ones, until we get that bug hunted and exterminated. Sorry about this.

Cheers,
    Heikki

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  5. needhamca

needhamca

OK, Thanks for the response. I do like the Unity Ad system. It was pretty easy to incorporate. Sounds like everything will be fine given time and more campaigns. Yes, the default zones were enough to get started.

6. Elzean

Elzean

Is unity Ads supported in every country ?

7. Elzean

Elzean

Also wondering how do i know if the ads can't show in case i reach the maximum, does the Advertisement.Ready() ever become true in that case ? If so does the show() function send back a result with ShowResult.Failed ?

I'd like to show another ad in case im sure UnityAds can't show it but i don't know how to handle it.

8. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi Elzean,

You can use Advertisement.isReady() for that purpose.

Advertisement.isReady() will return true after a cooldown period makes the ads available to this particular user again. (Cooldowns are user specific)

Ads running out usually happens only in countries where there are not that many campaigns. In normal gaming sessions user in any english speaking countries will not run out of ads.

Cheers,
    Heikki

9. Elzean

Elzean

Do you have a average value for the cooldown, i'd like to know if it's something short such as 30s / 60s or long such as 10 min.

I code my game so ads only show randomly around 30% of the times when the player restart the game , i didnt want to spam the player.
    1 game session should be 10s to 50s.

So may be i don't even need to do that and just let UnityAds handle it ?

10. HeikkiTunkelo

HeikkiTunkelo

Unity Technologies

Hi,

I might have expressed myself a bit unclearly:

In normal case there are many (tens, sometimes hundreds) different ads available for your user: these you can simply show one after another without any pauses (the system does not enforce cooldowns between *different* ads). For these you can implement a limiter yourself (like Elzean has done)

But once the user has seen ALL campaigns that are available to them, we release campaigns from "cooldown" one by one after a certain time has elapsed (between 1-4 hours, based on user specific valuations). This usually happens only in countries where not that many ads are available.

Cheers,
    Heikki

11. steego

steego

This makes me curios, if you're using the video ads for rewards, what happens if there isn't an available ad for this? Does the user just get the reward without seeing an ad? And what if the user is for example blocking the unity ads IP in their router?

12. hamstar

hamstar

I've been trying out Unity Ads and had a couple of issues. I'd be very grateful for your input Heikki.

1) I have added my game twice on the website, once for iOS and once for Android. The iOS one seems to work fine, but I can't enable Monetization for the Android one. Message: "You cannot enable ads because game's details are missing". I have added the details multiple times and it makes no difference (as an unpublished Android game). I might be having issues because I created the Android game back when it was Everyplay GameAds. I would delete it and start again, but I can't see any option to do this?

2) Another website issue. Changing my company info in Account doesn't work. In fact the "Save Changes" button seems completely unresponsive.

3) Clicks on an advert go through to the game when running in editor (you can click GUI buttons through the advert). I haven't been able to test if this is the same running on a device due to (1). Using Unity 4.6.0b18.

Thank you!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  13. hamstar

hamstar

I resolved my first issue by creating a new game for Android on the Unity ads site. Now I just need to be able to delete the old one.

14. goldbug

goldbug

The unity ads page seems to be broken for chrome in mac os x , it just keeps refreshing the dashboard and does not let me click anything.
    Update: It works fine in chrome in windows, but it is broken in chrome for mac os x

The quick start guide points here:
    http://unityads.unity3d.com/help/Documentation for Publishers/Integration-Guide-for-Unity-Asset-Store

But that gives a 404

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  15. mgeorgoulopoulos

mgeorgoulopoulos

The only problem that I've been having with Unity Ads is with the Picture ads. They seem to be click-through and they only show one placeholder ad (it seems). Also I can't close the add using the "X" button.

Any input on that? I'm planning on launching my game very soon!

Video ads work fine btw.

16. Athos-Krul

Athos-Krul

how much can you yearn with unity ads?

17. hamstar

hamstar

From the Monetisation FAQ:

HeikkiTunkelo likes this.
  18. nishacharstudios

nishacharstudios

Integrating unityads was a breeze :)

However I am experiencing crashes when I press the back button during the video ad playback. Is this a known issue?

19. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Glad to hear it was easy to setup! Odd that you're getting crashes, though. What's the device and version of Android that you're testing this on? Also, which version of Android are you targeting when you build your APK?

20. nishacharstudios

nishacharstudios

Device: Nexus 7 2nd gen, Android 4.4.4
    Target SDK: API 16
    Min-SDK: API 9

21. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Hmm, I have basically the same setup for my test environment. I'll drop the min-SDK down to API 9 and try it out.

Thanks for the heads up.

22. alexman

alexman

We have an area in the main game area where a banner is constantly displaying. Currently using admob and is considering to change to unityAd, however the top banner in unityAd takes too much space, if there is a half size top banner then we will move to unityAd, thanks.

23. devhacker35

devhacker35

Wow, I absolutely love and recommend Unity Ads and this is why.

1- Unity Ads is very easy to integrate into any games so advance coding knowledge is not required for setup.

2- Unity Ads pays very high ECPM/ and revenues. For example I recently released a game on IOS appstore within two days the game got about 900 downloads and I earned about $47 with Unity Ads.

Meanwhile Apple-iAds that I also put in the game is still not being approved yet and by the time it is approved my downloads will be much lower and I will earn very little money( pennies) from Apple iads.

As you can see with Unity Ads an indy developer can make some good money and very quick as long as your game can deliver downloads. The most crucial time for a developer to make money is the first three days a game is released, & personally I think with Unity ads one has potentials to earn money.

Well done Unity, I am a believer now, and from now on I will only use Unity ads in my games.

I highly recommend Unity ads and I hope they don't change like other ads revenue sites do(Pay more at first and then pay less).

HeikkiTunkelo likes this.
  24. Dean-Kuai

Dean-Kuai

It's really easy to integrate, but still buggy and need more work. In my case the video often not been shown after calling Show() (but isShowing was set to "true").
    Now I upgrade to Nov 5 version and got a compiling error: Assets/Editor/Everyplay/Scripts/EveryplaySettingsEditor.cs(82,21): error CS0103: The name `EveryplayPostprocessor' does not exist in the current context

25. rikshot

rikshot

Unity Technologies

There is a GUID conflict between Everyplay and Unity Ads packages on a few files. We are working on a fix for this that will be available soon.

HeikkiTunkelo and unity-nikkolai like this.
  26. milosevski

milosevski

my 2 cents after first week...

good:
    - really easy installation,
    - good support (reply in day or two)
    - nice ads, pay per view
    - no problems in game or crashes due to ads so far (will check latest update if that permission issue is solved).

bad:
    - completely unclear revenue formula - still don't get how it is calculated, it says it can take up to 7 days, but for some countries it seems it is calculated instantly, so I'll give it a bit time
    - very low inventory - it says that fill rate is ~45-50%, but in detailed report it seems that request:view ratio is 4:1 to 5:1
    - reporting a bit unclear
    - ecpm in FAQ mentioned as 5-10usd, in my reports it is 1 - 2.5usd.

I guess I'll still have to wait for revenues to be calculated (that delay), but if this is it, Admob seems as better choice due to higher fill rate. Of course, if revenues are still not calculated, then it might get better.

Stats:
    Ad requests: 9260
    Videos started: 2065
    Videos completed: 1047
    Earnings: $ 1.86

If it continue like this, think will return to Admob.

27. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

So odd, Milosevski and devhacker state total opposites..........something is fishy

28. Adrenaline-Crew

Adrenaline-Crew

Dev = 900 downloads and I earned about $47 with Unity Ads
    Milo = 9200 ad requests, 1.86

Milo's at least seems realistic, Dev... your not real

TimeCastle likes this.
  29. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

The ad requests are a bit misunderstood here. Ad requests occur when Unity Ads is initialized in your game. It requests an inventory of available ads for the region and device type making the request. Most of the time this occurs only once per game session, but can occur again if the user views all available ads in the inventory list.

The ad request figure has no bearing on revenue generated. Completed views and installs however does.

30. milosevski

milosevski

It's obvious, I think adrenaline crew just tried to show difference in reports. (btw, my game is near 900 downloads, but noway near that 47$ :) )

But thing is that although adrequest doesn't have direct impact on earnings, it shows me one other thing and that is "view:request ratio". If I understand correctly, adrequest is counted only when the game send request for ad?

So, can you explain to me why there are 5 times more requests than viewed ads?

31. milosevski

milosevski

or even better, if you can explain what is what in csv report:

Date Country code Country tier adrequests available offers started views revenue
    alltime BR 5 4310 1772 970 763 422 0.45

Can you explain each column, since it's not explained anywhere.
    Thanks

unity-nikkolai likes this.
  32. Salazar

Salazar

For your first question, unity-nikkolai already explained it ;
    "Ad requests occur when Unity Ads is initialized in your game." unity-nikkolai
    I think it improves displaying ad performance. View or not it requests ads when you fire
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Advertisement.Initialize ("99999",false);
    For your second question, you can use a csv viewer. There are plenty of free software out there.

Hope it helps.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  33. milosevski

milosevski

Thanks Salazar, for, let's say nice effort, although completely missed answers... :)

My questions are not answered, because I didn't ask how to open csv file (did you really thought that was my question?), but to explain columns.

For example, what is the difference between Available and Offers columns?

Also, if AdRequest column show how many times game requests for ad, why there is so big difference in number of requests and started ads?
    4310 requests, only 763 started. (and I'm requesting ads only when it should be shown).

This is really important for (I think all of us) to know, so we can understand if there is low inventory or some other reason for low revenue.

Latest data:
    Ad requests: 11295
    Videos started: 2724
    Videos completed: 1361
    Earnings: $ 3.24

Simply not matching promised...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    Bilgisoft, Radekk and unity-nikkolai like this.
  34. Salazar

Salazar

:D Hi again milosevski ,

Thanks for sharing data.

For "Available and Offers columns?" I couldnt find any information about that two statistics.

But I insist that difference between request number and video start number is normal. I dont know how you serve your video ads but, I show my ads with a bonus button click. I already request ads when game starts , so if my player dont click bonus button than there is no video start but there is a request.

Dont take it offensive but your stats not enough for a satisfying revenue. Like mine :D But yours are better :D

35. milosevski

milosevski

ok, here is how I use ads: each third try (game is an infinite runner), I load ad right at the beginning, and when player dies ad is shown. So, there is no "unused" requests (except user quits before end of the game on that third try).

Difference between request and show should be minimal.

To prove that, yesterday I've switched to Admob. So far I have:
    854 request 656 impression, which is way better, considering that fill rate is not 100%.
    Not to mention that earning is 5.59eur for 20hours compared to 3.45 USD for one week :)
    Important thing is that CTR is insanely high, but still, if I use average data for other games I have, it would still generate more revenue than UnityAds.

Just to be clear, I was really keen to switch to unity ads, but for some reason it seems not "mature" yet for commercial usage. Also, I'm not seeking profit, it's still very low income, but I wanted to share compared results I had.

Maybe at some point in future I could recommend this service, but for now it seems not so good in terms of revenue. Basically, integration is really fast, ads are great, concept is very nice, but low inventory and strange (unknown) revenue calculation is still big issue if you ask me.

I would be glad to share CSV with one week data, and would like to hear some analyse what is the reason for low revenue from UnityAds guys.

unity-nikkolai and Salazar like this.
  36. Pjfin123

Pjfin123

For some reason when I testing my game in the Unity editor when an ad is requested it shows a "Everything is working right" message but there is never an ad when I test on an android device no add shows up (I'm in the US).

37. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

1.!minimum payment 100$ is heavy.2 .paypal would be nice if added in unity ads withdrawn features .

38. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Good question.

This is how the columns in the CSV reports break down:
    • Country code: the country in which the adrequest was made
    • Country tier: a leftover from when Facebook was a supported platform; not relevant to revenue
    • adrequests: an approximate count of ad requests to the server (every 13th counted, multiplied by 13)
    • available: an approximate count of successful responses to ad requests
    • offers: another leftover from when Facebook was a supported platform; this value is not counted for iOS, for Android this value is the count of how many times you attempt to show an ad
    • started: counted during the first few frames of video playback
    • views: counted during the last few frames of video playback
    As you can see from the difference in adrequests and available stats, Brazil doesn't haven a lot of volume at the moment. At least not enough to fill the demand you're looking for. It's important to keep in mind, individual ad campaigns are limited to showing only once an hour to prevent over-saturating users with ads. Users are also limited to seeing 25 ads per day per app.

You should be concerned about the difference in values between offers and started on Android, since it can indicate errors that occur when attempting to show an ad. If your ads are non-skippable, the difference between started and views can indicate video playback errors, or that users are skipping ads by pressing the home button and returning to the game during playback.

If you are noticing playback errors, these typically only occur under poor network conditions, or when the device is handling background network traffic while attempting to stream video ads. These are issues we're working to resolve through improved buffering techniques.

Salazar likes this.
  39. fahmid

fahmid

Just started using Unity Ads. Submitted my game in iOS App Store with it. Let's see what happens :)

40. Dean-Kuai

Dean-Kuai

It seems unity ads cannot play video in china now...

41. rezki

rezki

i get "Video Playback error" every time i run an ad both in rewarded video and normal video ads.
    Ps: I'm new to mobile and unityads developpment.
    Screenshot_2014-12-24-13-26-01[1].png

42. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Those "Video Playback Error" messages typically appear under poor network conditions. Connection is either too slow, or there's too much packet loss. The message can also appear if your device is doing background downloads that force shared bandwidth, such as updates.

We have made improvements to how videos are preloaded, however are still working to improve network error handling. Keep an eye out for updates as we will be making notes of this in the change logs.

43. HotPhone

HotPhone

Hello, I decided to implement Unity Ads into my game. The concern I am having is with testing. I got lifetime banned from Admob because I clicked like 15 time on the ads accidentily, when I was testing my game. Is it safe to test every functionality of Unity ads, when the game is not launched, without getting banned? For example I would like to even click on download, to test everything. Or when I am just playing my app, the ads would show and generate money. Should I wait, until there is no more need for testing my app, before I implement unity ads? Or is there somekind of barrier that prevents generating money, when the app is not launched?

AlenH likes this.
  44. Salazar

Salazar

Hello,
    I recommend, just use test ads with your test device, you dont need to test live ads or you dont need to test the clicks. Because its handled by unity very well. There is video ads avaible in unity ads, picture ads are still in beta.
    Unity Ads has detection for illegal activity with ads like the other ad networks.
    I am using test mode and have no problem with that.
    To enable test ads just initialize unity ads with this code;

Code (CSharp):
    1. Advertisement.Initialize("ID",true);
    Don't forget to change "true" to "false" when uploading your final apk.

Regards,

45. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

May also be helpful to use something like this to initialize Unity Ads:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public string gameID;
    2. public bool disableTestMode;
    4. void Awake ()
    5. {
    6.     bool enableTestMode = Debug.isDebugBuild && !disableTestMode;
    7.     Debug.Log(string.Format("Initializing Unity Ads for game ID {0} with test mode {1}...",
    8.                             gameID, enableTestMode ? "enabled" : "disabled"));
    9.     Advertisement.Initialize(gameID,enableTestMode);
    10. }
    Having gameID and disableTestMode as public variables makes it easy to set them from the inspector. During development, you always want to be initializing Unity Ads with test mode enabled. With the above code, test mode will be enabled if Development Build is enabled in Build Settings. However, you can force production ads to be shown instead of test ads by checking disableTestMode.

When you're ready to publish your game, simply disable Development Build and test mode will be disabled. This way you don't accidentally ship your game with test mode enabled, which would only show test ads and not generate any revenue.

Salazar likes this.
  46. Dean-Kuai

Dean-Kuai

Hello,
    I'v tested Unity Ads in my game for several days, it looks quite good, but there was a day that not been counted. is that a bug?

Snip20150113_1.png

47. unity-nikkolai

unity-nikkolai

Nope, not a bug. The graph is accurate. Completed views don't always equate to revenue in the same day.

48. rezki

rezki

i have 7 videos completed and 0$ is this normal and do i have to exceed 104 views??

sl119 likes this.
  49. Salazar

Salazar

Hello Rezki,

This documentation may answer your question.
    Its about driving traffic to your app. I am using reward videos too, I have 142 completed videos and no revenue, so its normal.

Regards,

50. rezki

rezki

@Salazar

is switching to a normal video will make any difference ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.