Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity ads broke on iOS only

Discussion in 'Unity Ads & User Acquisition' started by Brathnann, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Brathnann

Brathnann

Unity 5.5.1p3
    Unity ads from the store 2.0.8
    Xcode 8.2.1
    Tested on iOS 10, 9, and 8.

Today we were pushing out a new build. Testing on the ads showed no issues on Android, however, iOS suddenly doesn't work. The button becomes active, but then when tapped on it looks like it's trying to load the ad, but then doesn't. Using log viewer, we see the message "video failed to play". After one attempt at playing an ad, the ad button never turns back on to show a video is ready again.

Note everything is working fine on Android. Just iOS is suddenly not working (has been working fine previously).

I'm using the following for the ad button
    Code (CSharp):
    2. void Update()
    3.     {
    4.         if (_button == null) return;
    6.         _button.interactable = (
    7.             Advertisement.isInitialized &&
    8.             Advertisement.IsReady(placementId)  &&
    9.             PlayerData.myAdViews.adViews < GameData.instance.getAdCountAllowed()
    10.         );
    11.     }
    Currently we're trying to track down what may be the issue, was just trying to get some feedback in case anybody else has run into this issue or may know what is creating the problem.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Edit: I just saw this message in another post

"The issue with Ads code being stripped in iOS .ipa builds in Unity 5.5.1 has been fixed in Unity 5.5.2. Have you upgraded? Also works in 5.6.0f1, which I have used for submitting game to Apple App Store." Is this the issue we are getting?

2. rasmus-unity

rasmus-unity

If you can wait another day, SDK 2.1.0 will be available (was submitted for Asset Store review yesterday). Then upgrade to SDK 2.1.0, if issue is still there, send us your device log and we'll take a closer look.

Thanks,
    Rasmus

3. Brathnann

Brathnann

Thank you. Will take a look at it and at 5.6 also when it's officially off the beta part (which is soon from my understanding).

We were able to build the game out on xcode 7, and the ads played correctly so we're pushing that build out. We're just needing xcode 8 for Firebase deep linking (which is another can of worms on iOS). So at some point we'll have to go back to xcode 8 so hopefully the new upgrades will fix the issue we were seeing.