Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by GTGD, May 13, 2015.
just use save from net to download them from youtube ;D
People I need your input
I consider these tutorials to be really out of date now and especially my old GTGD S2 tutorials that I want to replace.
Do you want me to make a new multiplayer series?
Can I ignore game genre and primarily focus on the mechanics of multiplayer?
What multiplayer topics are most important to you?
@GTGD , you legend.
Would love updated multiplayer tutorials for any genre. Networking in itself is a challenge regardless of the game genre. Especially anything that can help with authoritative multiplayer!
From looking at the forums, I believe I am one of many who are still confused by the different options for getting started with multiplayer.
UNet, Forge, Photon, Bolt, DarkRIft(?) and others that I dont even know exist..
Where do we start when wanting to get in to making stable multiplayer game that can handle at least 40 players at the same time?
Saying reasonable numbers to keep realistic and not talk about MMOs etc. Getting up to handling hundreds of players would be fantastic
(really wanting to wish best of luck to all indie devs out there to get the numbers of players that would require supporting hundreds of concurrent players)
1. That would be nice.
2. Sure, probably for the best.
3. In my experience most, if not all, tutorials are about the very early stages of developing a game. The Unity community is awesome, but there's a gap in all aspects. A developer with a question typically finds fundamental instructions or a completed asset for download. What I've been waiting for is full scale development tutorials, which would introduce problems and solutions to the issues that pop up immediately after learning fundamentals. Same thing happens to networking tutorials. These tutorials cover things like: syncing player or Ai entity transforms and generic variables, smoothing, and some even go as far as covering the network lobby Unity provides -- required knowledge, but not enough information to arm a developer to handle a published game's networking. In the case of networking perhaps some of these topics could be covered:
Managing hundreds or thousands of intractable objects or entities (players, AI) scattered over the playable world
Handling saved data on client side
VoiP (Chat too, but to be fair this topic has been covered quite a bit)
Sending bulky information (json, txt, or xml files, images) client to server and/or server to client.
Friends, white lists, black lists, etc.
And probably the two most important topics:
Building a standalone server(s)
Pushing game updates
Just a handful of ideas for you. Thanks for all you've done!
Hey I just follow your latest tutorial but i am facing lag issue in my multiplayer Game. Basically I have two kinds of player one network(some how manage to do this your tut this is not mention please also add it to your tut) one player with character controller and other with VR player and I am facing lag. You did not mention lag handling technique in unity. Please guide me about it. and thanks for your valuable tuts its amazing.
Hi GTGD, its 2017 and I am using unity 5.4. I checked your tuts, all are amazing but as a newbie in unity networking I have some very simple questions for you ,hope that you will answer it.
1. used to default Network Manager HUD to connect with a player who is not in my network(i.e., through internet) but it is not connecting. Why?
2. I watched your tut video UNET Part 20 - UI & Custom Net Manager, and made my own network manager with UI. its cool but in last you said use himachi to connect your player with internet. Can't i directly connect my player with other over internet or is there any other tut available.
3. Is there any comprehensive and advance tut available. I am much confused with overall unity system. Here are matchmaking services, relay server, network manager, cloud service, internet service. All things are confusing me. What match making is ? is this a way to connect with internet.
Hopefully you will answer to my very basic questions. Thanks in advance.
He was last online in December but no update on this thread since August.
I am wondering how to get support for owners of the series who bought on Steam?
Hi how can I connect host which run on my pc and client which is my phone(andriod) what will be the project configuration