Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Deleted some posts about dark ui. We're not going there.

2. srmojuze

srmojuze

Thank you for the procedure to apply for conversion of my 12 month Unity 5 Pro subscription to a month-to-month as detailed in http://unity3d.com/unity/faq. That is honest and fair.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  3. Archania

Archania

Options in your account page to either cancel after the 12 months or continue to pay monthly. Mine comes up next month. Trying to decide what to do.

4. goat

goat

Well, I'll not scroll back to see if the 'Personal Edition' or shade of 'Grey' is still a big source of consternation but I am interested in trying out the asset store membership for a few months eventually.

I wouldn't sign up for an asset store membership that required more than 90 days membership and until the Asset Store window is fixed so that their is a radio button for each of my assets and a tab of hiddens that is lets me hide / unhide assets that I've got but likely to never use I don't have much interest in trying the $19 a month asset store membership.

It'd just be encouragement to further clutter my assets list with things I'll likely never use but it could be worthwhile if better asset store asset management was available.

Thanks.

5. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@giorgos_gs: There's a thread on that. ;)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/very-poor-performance-on-android-after-upgrading-to-unity-5.306572/
    I had some slowdown issues to begin with, but I was able to fix most of them myself. Some of the slowdown came from rendering, but for me, most of it was from the physics engine. (My mobile project's a racing game, so such issues are bound to pop up... ;)) Well, along with the ton of overhead the profiler had on my device! :D

EDIT: And weirdly, the first fix that really boosted rendering speed: VSYNC! It appears Unity 5's vSync settings are screwed up on mobile... :D

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  6. goat

goat

I got better performance on Windows 8.1 Desktop & in the Editor 'Game' have yet to try Android though I know I need to fix some colliders.

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@goat: Well, all games will work in the editor regardless, unless your dev machine somehow can't handle the fancy stuff you put there... :D Nonetheless, an android test is more successful in finding issues, as it's the actual hardware being targeted.

One thing to note however: Unless you have done it before and you know your tab can handle it, don't use the profiler to look for speed issues; the overhead is like 60% and almost unplayable, making it really hard to pinpoint the real cause of any slowdown.

8. srmojuze

srmojuze

Oh I think because of the change even before the 12 months one can apply to go month-to-month: http://unity3d.com/unity/faq (for those who signed on to 12 months during pre-order, etc.)

9. goat

goat

@FuzzyQuills - thanks.

I had big issues with an a cheap Android tablet not being able to render and do the physics fast enough with Unity 4.6.3. I mostly solved that by reducing the complexity of the details of the textures to reduce size and rendering time. No code needed change which was good since it was pure Unity & an asset store framework, even though I can program as a profession. I still had to buy a new Android tablet (also a cheap one but much more capable than people's 2 year old expensive name brand tablets) and when I published I published only to KitKat 4.4 even thought that eliminates most of the potential audience for downloads. I am more interesting in making a game that is fun and that works for now. Eventually the audience will have hardware that can play the games I make so the rest is up to whether the games I make are any fun.

I don't intend to use the profiler. I'm familiar with truss from Solaris (dtrace, 'very sleepy' are similar programs) and that can be very useful for figuring out what's wrong but I've not had call to use them yet. For my games I have to restrain myself from throwing in the kitchen sink.

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Welp, it's surprising Asphalt 8 runs on my tab then! :) (Well, except for some weird texture issue where the car body isn't drawn. Probably that damn Mali-400 GPU!)

And my biggest bottleneck back on 4.6 was actually physics, but that was fixed by tuning the fixed frame-rate (The rendering wasn't taking much up at all. Probably courtesy of my special shaders! :))

And thing is, once UT fix up the bug in the Job-Scheduler (That is apparently what's causing the slowdown on some devices) where some devices do a spin-loop, most of the issues with slow physics should fix themselves. ;)

11. goat

goat

Hmmm...I am upgrading a rather old project to get at a good landscape I created and I've noticed that Unity 5 has asked several times if I've made a backup of the project before preceding. 3 that I've counted so far. I think the project, before upgrade is Unity 3.5+ or 4.[2 | 3] compatible I'm not sure; I think pre-Unity 4.

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@goat: Good thing it does! :) And if your landscape was made in a 3D modelling package, it should work. Terrain maps on the other hand might act differently, I'm not sure as I don't use terrain much at all.

The only real thing that might go wrong is a custom shader breaking, but that's a different road for a different time... ;)

13. goat

goat

Ah, well based on the good looks of the game and my own experience with Unity I'd guess that Asphalt 8 only works on such old GPUs because of high contrast disguising low details, using 2D poster backgrounds as much as possible, and low poly models. I don't have that luxury of a big art staff or even a PC that can do that amount of texture light map baking in a reasonable amount of time.

The Android tablet that I had that couldn't handle my simple game was single core Arm 7 with Mali 400 MP2, which translates into generally what most would consider a dual core GPU I think. I'm not really an expert or even an enthusiast that reads the layman's literature. What research I've done was just to get my game working.

14. goat

goat

Well, in this case, once is enough because I back up once, not three times.

Oh, it's a Unity terrain of about 7 sqkm near the Matterhorn but I intend to export it as a low poly obj and paint it. I will be glad when Unity gets good terrain system but if that make it really cool and assessable rather than just technically competent that may take a long time.

15. ababab5

ababab5

Hi,

I don't understand something.. Level11 is free for pro user ? I'm a pro user and I payed for some Level11 assets...

Please see the image attached.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

• ___a.png
      ___a.png
      File size:
      276.4 KB
      Views:
  16. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes, did you notice the free section on the left? 2015-03-19_15h04_57.png

17. ababab5

ababab5

of course.

So everything is not free for Pro user, just the "free" section. Thanks !

18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

That's right, you can't have the moon on a stick.

ababab5 likes this.
  19. ababab5

ababab5

I'm a dreamer. :)

20. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Level 11 rotates free & discounted Assets on a monthly basis.

shkar-noori likes this.
  21. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

Not sure if you answered this in this long thread Aurore, but OSX 10.6 is from the old 32bit mac's. As far as I can tell you need a fully 64bit Mac (10.8+ machines) for Unity 5.

22. goat

goat

Unity 5 runs on os X 10.6+. It's the video card that is important. There is also a 32 bit Unity 5.

23. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@goat:
    well, only for windows as far as I know... :D

24. goat

goat

Oops, that's right, but Snow Leopard (10.6) was when os X 1st introduced 64 bit so it's OK if they have a good video card. The Intel chips then were already 32/64 bit capable.

25. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Yeah sorry, that got buried. There is only a 64bit editor for Mac now.

26. datacoda

datacoda

Hi,

I think the Asset Store FAQ http://unity3d.com/unity/faq/2485
    How do I transfer asset purchases from one account to another?

might need some updating regarding multiple licenses under one email. As I found with Level 11, you only get one free-license offer per email regardless of the number of Pro licenses you have. Unfortunately for me, I had followed the "long term solution" of putting every license under one email. It might be a good idea to just get rid of that "solution" idea since it doesn't seem compatible with how Level 11 is setup to work in the asset store.

I've since split my email accounts thanks to general support, but have hit another snag with the asset store not recognizing a license transfer. Was anyone else trapped by this and have managed to get a successful resolution? Time's running out and I'm fearing I've fallen into some weird abyss in the system.

Update: managed to get it sorted out.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  27. squared55

squared55

I just downloaded 5.0.1, and I just wanted to thank you guys for letting us opt out of downloading the example projects. I have a data cap, so this is absolutely amazing for me.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  28. that-steve-guy

that-steve-guy

I saw this elsewhere - "Unity 5.1 will (most likely) ship our upcoming new networking library UNET (which will make UnityEngine.Networking deprecated), which will support WebGL (via a WebSocket brigde) out of the box."

Its a lifesaver for me, WebGL should handle loading new scripts on the fly (which makes a lot possible online)

29. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I just got into the audio mixer. Wow. Many thanks to the guys who worked on it. It is an amazing tool. Everything about it helps so much. Just watched the video on the snapshot tool and I almost cried:).

30. katoun

katoun

31. Jaimi

Jaimi

katoun likes this.
  32. katoun

katoun

Have you seen that some of those features were marketed by Enlighten with reference to Unreal Engine 4?
    UE4 does not include Enlighten into the engine as part of the main license as Unity 5 does. This means that you have to get your own license for Enlighten to be used with UE4 and I have heard and read that is has a steeeeap cost.
    That makes me think that Enlighten company keeps it's latest updates for their custom licenses (while Unity gets the rest).
    While I understand that kind of decision, I don't like it, as us, the multitude of users of Unity, can not use and appreciate fully what Enlighten is and does for the gaming industry.

33. Ostwind

Ostwind

I doubt the new Enlighten features are getting very high priority at least for the lightmapping as there are already blog posts about the new "replacement".

34. zenGarden

zenGarden

What blogs ?

35. katoun

katoun

36. zenGarden

zenGarden

This is not Enlighten replacement, this is only some fast lightmapping preview , you still got to use Enlighten to lightmap the scene fro the final version and it is still slow.

37. Ostwind

Ostwind

Did even read the blog and watch the video? it's a full lightmapper. Also the reason why I said replacement in quotes that it seems that their inhouse lightmapping is priority one and will be the main lightmapper in general. Enlighten will remain as an option for lightmaps and still be used for realtime GI.

38. zenGarden

zenGarden

Last time i checked a Unite presentation video and read some notes it was intended as a lightmap preview only.
    Anyway before this comes out within one year or two we got to deal with Enlighten for 3D projects using lightmaping.

39. Ostwind

Ostwind

We were talking about the new blog post and video.

40. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

it's an alternative Lightmap baking engine not only for preview, and it's actually really fast to preview lightmap unlike enlighten

41. StarManta

StarManta

OK this might be the most hilarious necropost on the forum.

Edit: They deleted it :(

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.