Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Unity 5 Launch

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by John-Riccitiello, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John-Riccitiello

John-Riccitiello

Unity Technologies

As you know, today marks the global launch of Unity 5. I just posted on the launch of Unity 5, which you can find here http://unity3d.com/get-unity. I won’t try to rehash my blog post in this forum. But, I do want to help start the conversation with a few comments.

First -- know that everyone at Unity is incredibly proud of Unity 5. A massive amount of work went into this release. We think it is the biggest upgrade in Unity’s history. We could not be prouder.

Second -- our business model… I wrote about this in the blog, and will risk repeating myself here. Our business model reflects who we really are. Clear, simple, believers in value, in solving hard problems, and in democratization. I was in dozens of conversations with Unity’s exec team, and with engineers and business folks across Unity these past few months. We discussed the business model, and in particular, Personal Edition, many, many times. I am not sure you will believe me, but no one, not one time, seriously asked about whether Unity would be more profitable if we charged for Unity Personal Edition or theorized about making it a lesser product to push our developers into a paid upgrade to Pro. Not once. Really

What we talked about over and over again was Unity 5.0. What we wanted it to do. What we wanted it to be. How to make it better. What services we could build to make it more useful, or easier for developers. How we could help developers with the “second mountain” of monetization. I’ve been working in a business role for over thirty years, and I have never, ever worked in a company so clear about what is important, and what is not. To say I am proud of Unity and everyone at Unity is an understatement.

So, today is the day. Launch day. Download Unity 5, play with it, experiment with it, and create something beautiful and lasting.

I hope you are as excited about it as we are at Unity.

Ruchir, ChrisSch, Yapp-Yapp and 31 others like this.
  2. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

First of all congrats. Looks amazing.

Awesome news with the personal edition but what is this about $20/month for asset store level 11? Is this just to access a more advanced version of the asset store or the entire thing?

John3D likes this.
  3. blackbird

blackbird

i saw the press release of unity 5 and there is no sign for support of PSM ! any idea guys if these true or not i hope somebody clarify this ...and if it still support it can i still release my game with the free version because the new release doesn t allow to release any game on any platform without paying 1500 dollars ?

4. KhaledM

KhaledM

Great news
    Congratulations!

5. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

So... since Unity completely changed what Pro is, if you bought a pre-order can you get a refund? I feel swindled here.

Zomby138 and Em-de-Nem like this.
  6. bluescrn

bluescrn

Looks like very good news for indies/hobbyists!

Still unsure what it means for mobile developers, though - what exactly will 'All platforms (limitations apply)' mean?

Do the iOS Pro and Android Pro add-ons still exist? (do mobile devs still pay triple for fully-functional Pro?)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is one HELL of a birthday present... and thankfully I already have Unity 5 Pro, and I am even more proud to be a unity user :)

John3D, kenshin, jashan and 1 other person like this.
  8. Alex_TNT

Alex_TNT

As a Publisher I'm also interested in this :) and how will you pay for it.

randomperson42 and Baldinoboy like this.
  9. gamadgames

gamadgames

First of all, offcorse I have (as free user ;) ) the same question as blackbird, also is Unity now ready to intergrate into my project. (So if I understand this correctly this is not the beta anymore?)

10. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

It seems you can still release a game royalty free and not buy pro till you make over $100000 a year.

11. Dabeh

Dabeh

I like the new pricing scheme. +1

jashan and Aurore like this.
  12. Anozireth

Anozireth

I'm looking for the full installer downloads, not just the boot-strap downloader. Looks like it should be here under "Additional Downloads": http://unity3d.com/get-unity/update but the links don't seem to do anything.

13. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Level 11 is a new loyalty services on the asset store where you can get exclusive assets for free and discounted prices. This is completely free for Pro users and since we'd like personal users to have access to you, you can subscribe for $19/month. The value of Assets on offer are more than the subscription price every month, we've got some awesome offers at the moment https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/level11 (site is currently down due to the sheer amount of traffic though)

Check out the new services and features that are included with your Pro license at no extra cost. If you have any questions, we've got them covered in the FAQ

14. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Sorry everyone, our download page and Asset Store are slightly dodgy at the moment, traffic is hardcore right now.

15. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Can not even use Unity 4 because of license issues popping up and nothing loading.

16. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

Thanks!

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Havng a hard time trying to download the official release... but I'll wait...

18. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Will wait till the 5 rush is done to do my download.

So personal devs and users of the normal asset store will not be affected?

19. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Except I bought U5 for pro features not other for the skin or cloud build which I don't care clearly. So the new buisness model is very cool but I spent 1500 ( which is a very very huge sum) so we this annunce I am happy and disappointed ... especially since I already had the problem with mobile licenses

twobob, VIC20 and Em-de-Nem like this.
  20. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Well maybe its better to get a refund and just pay the 75 a month for the pro

21. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

Read the answer to the question "I pre-ordered Unity 5 Professional but I want to use Unity 5 Personal Edition, what are my options"

They have us covered, which I really appreciate, since a change of this type does require taking care of us loyal customers who don't require the services, just the engine features.

JaredThirsk likes this.
  22. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Check the FAQ, you can get a refund if you no longer need professional version.

Beennn, BigDaz and der_r like this.
  23. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

Good ! I don't see this question ! Nice Unity ;)

24. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

Me, too....

25. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

They're getting hit pretty hard right now, so that form isn't loading at the moment, but it says we have until May 1st to apply.

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I happened to pre order Unity Pro last march and I use it daily, so I better weigh my options here because I use Unity daily and I am honestly not to fond of subscription models. I rather own a licence outright...

27. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

So prior to the Special event there was a lot of hype going around from Unity on twitter and in the forums. I was doubtful they could match it, but boy they knocked it out the park today!

Its unbelievable that Unity is now free for personal edition, and that it has all the engine features and almost every platform supported. I never expected that. Even better they are offering very good refund policies for pre-orders (see the FAQ). That is amazing support of its customers being offered by a company, though its actually not unusual for Unity Technologies, they have always been very good to their customers.

Obviously the new features of Unity 5 raise the game and bring a wealth of useful new opportunities, whilst the professional version has some nice bonuses like cloud builds, analytics and team License.

Now the only problem I face is that this is just too good a deal. I believe i'm eligible to claim a refund and switch to using Personal edition (need to double check), but I'm not sure I want to. My clients can probably live with a Unity splash screen, most of my work is for kiosks so it will only appear at start up (or restarts). Myself I can live with splash screen for my work especially for Android/iOS, at least until I want to remove them or earn more than the $100k. However getting a refund and no longer paying feels a bit cheap since I make a good living with the tool.

My only concern with staying with Unity Professional is that it doesn't prevent me releasing on iOS/Android as 'personal' edition releases (i.e with splash screen and any other restrictions).

Anyway overall this is an amazing event and I must congratulate Unity for its forward thinking.

28. Zeblote

Zeblote

Is anyone able to download it? The site is responsive up to the point where it says "login to download", that takes 5 minutes to return an empty page.

29. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

If I had made any amount of money with the Unity engine I'd feel the same as you. However, at this point I only use what would be available to me in Unity Personal edition, and the $1500 can go a long way towards making something functional/helping my marriage.

Teila and Noisecrime like this.
  30. Heu

Heu

Quote from Aurore just from a few post up...

Anyways, I'm happy about the 64-bit support. Great news from Unity overall.

31. HemiMG

HemiMG

Gee thanks Unity. First you make me stay up past my bedtime to watch an announcement. Now I have to stay up and convert my game to all the fancy new features I've been lusting after since I got the release candidate for being an asset store developer. ;)

Socrates, jashan and Aurore like this.
  32. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Now that I think about it, Personal Edition works out for me since I am a one man team... but damn it, I will hate that splash screen... but the refund will help getting my novel out :)

EDIT: The weird part about this though, is when Unity 5 was announced, I bought my Unity 4 Pro licence a few days before this and they granted me Unity 5 Pro, so in essence, I should be able to get a refund.

Teila and Em-de-Nem like this.
  33. Zeblote

Zeblote

Looks like it works now. Let's see...

34. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Yeah with the refund ill be able to buy the xbone and wii u and the rift and some beer. This is like christmas coming early!

35. Heu

Heu

Nice! Too bad i'm at school right now. Wanna get home to download it, hopefully the traffic will slow down by then :p

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I seriously hope I do get a refund (especially since I was granted a Unity 5 Pro licence right AFTER buying a Unity 4 Pro licence days previous. I have the invoice and everything).

37. Deleted User

Deleted User

\o/ this is more than epic *hehe*

38. vexe

vexe

KRGraphics likes this.
  39. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

Yesterday and today have been two great days for smaller developers. Well done Unity for putting tools into more people's hands.

Does the pro/personal changes have any effect on your school licensing terms. Under unity 4 the only option was reasonably expensive per machine licences with Unity free usage forbidden. Has this changed at all?

40. bigSadFace

bigSadFace

So you didn't order Unity 5? You ordered Unity 4 and were upgraded for free to 5?

41. natosha-bard

natosha-bard

SaraCecilia and Aurore like this.
  42. WilliamBNewton

WilliamBNewton

So I finally got the refund page to load, but it's a "THE PAGE YOU WERE LOOKING FOR DOESN'T EXIST." Error.

43. vexe

vexe

@natosha.bard under the 'download installer' button there was a foldout, I clicked it and then clicked Unity64 or something, a 1.1gig installer file. Did I get the right thing?

44. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

It is weird though... it was an upgrade from my Unity 3 Pro licence, and it pretty much daisychained to Unity Pro 5... I am hoping to get it.

45. schmosef

schmosef

I see in the sku comparison that Pro now includes a "Team License".

I have an active pro subscription. Does that mean I can use the asset server now? If so, where do I download it?

Also, I assume that the download for Personal and Pro are the same, but the "Get Unity" page only has a download link under the personal column.

46. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Pretty much since I bought it days before Unity 5 was announced... I have both invoices

47. Zeblote

Zeblote

Try 1:

Try 2:

Try 3 - 10:

Attempting manual activation, try 1 - 3:

48. natosha-bard

natosha-bard

Yes, that sounds like the right thing. You can download it there, or download it via the torrent (also available under the 'Additional Downloads' drop-down).

konsnos and vexe like this.
  49. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

The server is under heavy load right now with everyone trying to download/activate/everything else. Just wait and try again later.

50. StarManta

StarManta

While I get the desire to have $1500 back, I think claiming you were "swindled" is ridiculous. You looked at the feature set of Unity 5, decided that the features were worth $1500, and paid it. You are getting no less for your money today than you were going to get before today. The fact that other people are getting similar features for free now affects you not at all.

Maybe Unity will be generous and offer refunds in some cases, but there is zero obligation on their part to do so.

Beennn, vividhelix, MSylvia and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.