Search Unity

Unity 5 is coming and more!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Unfortunately not, GDC recording are not in our power.

2. Amon

Amon

Is there any other sales advisor, other than Akouvi, in the UK I can speak to regarding the upgrade?

3. PabloJMartinez

PabloJMartinez

Wait... I just read 64 bits?

$Party-GIF.gif

4. goat

goat

I went to so much trouble to go from C to C# to write code in Unity, I hope you don't switch to Java or bother making it available at the editor level as most asset store code is now C#.

As far as Unity 4.6 and Unity 5.0 go I'm happy to about this...although I wonder, how long will I get a 'discount' for having bought Unity iOS Basic and Unity Android licenses should I ever upgrade to Pro?

And I hope that the assets I bought will upgrade....at least the few that I actually plan on using.

5. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

I believe UK is handled by a different person now.

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

Really? No vids whatsoever or just they'll publish them eventually on their own?

7. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Very exciting news! All the features look fantastic. I'm glad to see Unity is greatly improving for each new version consistently. Unity looks like it'll be a top major AAA game engine not too far from now. Keep up the great work!

For my current project, I don't think I'll be needing any of the new features in UT5. But I can't wait to use them for my future projects.

Thank you Unity team for all your hard work!

8. RC-1290

RC-1290

GDC session videos are hosted on the GDC Vault.

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

Wait, hold the phone. I'm looking over all this stuff and yeah, it's great and all, but...

Are we seriously getting all these new graphics features and performance upgrades and S*** without an update to Unity's absolutely antiquated terrain engine?

10. Whippets

Whippets

+1 I see we're getting some aspects of SpeedTree, but is this just an addition to the current tree system, or a rewrite? I love Unity, but terrain and trees make me cry in despair.

11. VIC20

VIC20

One of the biggest things in Unity 5 for me seems to be the new audio. To be honest audio in Unity was always terrible, but audio is 50% of the experience.

I would love to get my hands on this as soon as possible, I know the beta test is closed but if you guys maybe need another professional sound designer as beta tester this is my list of references ;-)

http://hessburg.com/references.html

12. Alf203

Alf203

I agree, people tend to forget that a game with poor audio ruins the whole experience and immersion regardless if the visuals are pretty. The new mixer looks great, can't wait.

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If you recall, Unity said on these forums back in 3.x that the plan was always to take fmod studio but bring it into Unity with unity workflows rather than using a separate app, and this seems to be what has happened. So that's really quite nice.

I knew Unity was chatting to geomerics way back but I couldn't say anything not least because it would have been horribly improper, and I'm extremely pleased good things came of it. It's kind of my dream lighting system.

I think Unity deserve this moment in the limelight, it's obviously been something that's been steadily worked on for quite a while now and finally it's time to reveal.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  14. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Where is the "better live collaboration" feature? On unite 2013 here in brazil, someone asked helgason what would be the dream feature for unity 5 and he said something like "a better collaboration workflow, something that could help developers work together in the same project easier", well, I'm a one man studio so... but this came on my mind when I saw the unity 5 logo! :p

EDIT:
    Oh and, what does "Transition between State Machines with Entry Exit nodes." mean exactly?

Thanks!

15. HJPL

HJPL

Same happened to me, and I specifically asked if I should wait till after the GDC before buying.

But I wouldn't worry about it...

I emailed my Sales rep and they got right back to me with the following: "We will be reviewing recent purchases and following up with customers."

I'm sure we'll hear something when they all get back from the GDC.

16. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Maybe it's not ready yet?

17. nightbane30

nightbane30

Oh my gosh!!! Hype hype hype!!! Dang, that plugin-free support really had me surprised! I can't wait!!!

18. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

theeen, there's moree! It's not something that I would use(now) because I'm a forever alone developer, but I couldn't help but remember the keynote!

Hey Graham, also, do you know how these Entry and Exit nodes will work?

19. MinhDao

MinhDao

Hi! I've seen new advertisment system in video introduce unity 5. So, can I use it with google adsense?

20. KyleStaves

KyleStaves

It means we can finally set up things like having 5-6 random idle animations without a ton of work.

21. charmandermon

charmandermon

With the announcement of WebGL I want to ask the devs if they would add drag and drop support to runtime builds now. This has been a HUGE need on my end.

It has been a requested feature since 2012: http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/drag--drop-support-for-unity3d-

Here is a WebGL example of Drag and drop. You can literally drag any picture from your computer onto the surface and it will automatically take it....I need this, and now is the time since WebGL supports it natively!

http://lab.aerotwist.com/webgl/surface/

Thanks guys for the awesome work.

22. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

As much as I love using Beast, Enlighten is DEFINITELY welcome... no more waiting for bakes, now I can tweak to my liking and see my results...

23. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

24. mu-kow

mu-kow

I'm interested in what the new 2d physics effectors might be.

Edit: nevermind, watched the video.

25. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

I jumped on to the 4.x bandwagon only about 5 months ago so I'm not making the same mistake again - I just got pre-order approval so now the hard part is waiting for 5.0 to be released!!

26. AkyoTaslin

AkyoTaslin

AHHHH! We indie developers love you Unity guys! Good job in being the number one engine choice for indie developers! :)

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

And beyond indie I hope :)

28. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

awesome

29. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Aside from Enlighten and 64 bit editor (no more out of memory errors, YAY!), I also hope the PBR shaders in Unity 5 will NOT bump off the ones that already exist, such as Alloy and Jove... and I hope Marmoset will remain a HUGE player on the field... Skyshop and Alloy are my two most important tools in my set. Also will there be skin shaders?

30. shaderop

shaderop

Now wait a minute. Let's not go totally crazy here :)

31. Breakmachine

Breakmachine

Is it just me or does it feel like it's a bit early to announce 5.0 pre-order before the uGUI? Are Unity having economic troubles?

I'm really excited about some of the new features. Especially 64-bit and "better cooperation". Does this mean two people can work in the same scene?

I wouldn't mind keeping MonoDevelop if it would just be more stable. Especially on Mac.

Nested prefabs would be real nice too.

32. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm pretty sure 4.0 was announced in the same way, as was 3.0.

33. Nanity

Nanity

It's very accommodating to put Unity 5 in avail so you don't purchase a Unity 4 license 3 days before the new release.

34. UndeadButterKnife

UndeadButterKnife

While it is possible, I'd say that is not the case. They have been hiring like crazy, that doesn't happen unless the company is in good shape, or is suicidal.

35. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I'm also curious.. although that might be asking to much :)

36. spinaljack

spinaljack

Hi, I bought Unity 4 pro a few days ago (I know right?). Can I get my order upgraded to Unity 5 preorder?

37. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

38. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Contact your sales advisor and ask them to help you out.

39. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

No, we will not switch to OpenGL 4.x on OS X for 5.0 yet (and probably not until we can drop OS X 10.6 support as we'd otherwise have to keep two OpenGL backends around).

40. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

No.

(as Murgilod said every major Unity update we did was released this way in the past.)

41. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

I don't think we have any current plans to add runtime drag drop support to Unity. However, you should be able to implement it yourself using native plugins (which will also be a feature in WebGL, by letting you directly call JS functions or even C++ code which Unity will then compile to js for you using emscripten).

42. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

The biggest change in PhysX 3.3 is that it is fully multi-threaded and we expect significant performance gains for any physics-heavy projects.

But, yes the complete wheel/tire simulation model has also been rewritten, and should give much better results then the old one.

43. bluescrn

bluescrn

So long as there's still high-quality baked lightmap support for mobile developers...

We're certainly not going to be doing real-time GI in an iPhone 4/4S game, no matter how impressive the tech is - and some of the older iDevices are going to be around for quite some time yet.

5.0 looks very cool for PC/console developers, but does it bring anything important for mobile devs? So far, 4.6 sounds more exciting, as the UI system has the potential to offer some real performance gains over NGUI and similar systems.

44. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

How about cloth??? any news about cloth physic??

45. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

HUGE update!

46. jonas-echterhoff

jonas-echterhoff

Unity Technologies

Cloth in PhysX 3 is also rewritten to be faster and more stable. The feature set is a bit different from the old cloth simulation, more targeted at solving the specific use case of character clothing (and it means that existing use of cloth in Unity projects may need some redesign to work in Unity 5).

47. botumys

botumys

Can we expect a new terrain engine in unity 5 roadmap ?

48. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

I'm using a workflow that's reliant on Beast bakes and I'm worried if I will be able to continue using it. Will the move from Beast to Enlighten allow me to continue using it? The workflow goes like this:

• Make modular level geometry, for example, a set of tunnel sections, import them into Unity with UV2 mapping generation
    • Bring the models to a specially configured lightmapping level, bake the lighting for them separately (one map per object, no atlasing)
    • Steal all resulting .exr files and place them into level-independent texture folder of your project with appropriate import settings
    • Create the shaders that completely replace the stock level-dependent lightmapping and accept lightmaps as another arbitrary texture
    • Manually assign extracted .exr files to the materials of those objects (using aforementioned shaders that can properly render them).
    • Save objects as prefabs and reuse the modular pieces across any levels you want without the need to store hundreds of redundant lightmaps and wasting hundreds of hours to rebake the same environment pieces all over again.
    So, essentially, what I'm achieving with it is ability to use Bethesda-like modular levels with baked lighting.

As you can guess, my biggest problem with Beast was the how all lightmapping results were bound to the levels while I needed a solution that took care of the bakes and then allowed me to reuse the results across any level in the project (object-specific, not level-specific approach). The aforementioned workflow achieves that. I don't know the details of Enlighten (the wording on their site is very vague, unfortunately), so I'm not sure if I'll be able to continue using it going forward.

49. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Well, since whenever I create racing games, the physics of the car and the wheels is very important.
    I hope Especially on stability in large impact collisions.
    Cool I here await the new physics.

And of course I was forgetting, of the new GUI, I'm anxious about how it will be functioning.
    Keep up a good work. And my advice do everything slowly and with easy, because it reduces the chances of having many bugs. at least I think.

50. SkullKing

SkullKing

How much is "recent"? I bought it a few weeks ago(3 I think) but I haven´t had time to actually activate it yet. Will the upgrade price be the same for me as for other developers who have had it for a longer time?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.