Search Unity

Unity 5 Error at launch: failed to write license file

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Kirienko, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Kirienko

Kirienko

Every time I launch Unity 5 I get this error:

I have checked the path and that file doesn't exist. I tried to launch as administrator and there's not error, but it appears again when launching the proper way. I use windows 7.

Unity works fine (as far I know), but it is annoying to get this message every time I launch the app.

2. bongarje

bongarje

Same to me ...

3. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

So, try and write a file yourself into that folder. Just save the contents of a Notepad.exe file there. The error message says that Unity isn't allowed to write there. If you can, then we at least know it's not a system-wide permissions problem.

4. bongarje

bongarje

I saved a document from Word into this folder and it worked. I have permission to write.

Ptimushi likes this.
  5. bongarje

bongarje

Okay, I changed the read/write properties of Unity_v5.x.ulf to give all users full access. The error message disappeared :)

6. Kirienko

Kirienko

Yes, changing the file permissions solves the problem. Thanks.

7. Goldenboy94

Goldenboy94

I have this problem to and I can't find that folder anywhere.... please someone help me! and i don't seem to find how to change the permission on the program either! I'm new to unity 5 so please help :)

8. Mr-Simpson

Mr-Simpson

9. Kustompixel

Kustompixel

Go to C:\ProgramData\Unity (hidden folder)

To Unity_v5.x.ulf file, right click > properties > security tab

Edit > select your user > Allow full control > Apply

HernandoNJ, limonad76, myddt and 4 others like this.
  10. recursive

recursive

I seem to be having the same problem on my mac, but changing the permissions doesn't work.
    My 4.6.x install crashes when I try to return the license, so there must be something really funky going on.
    I was testing out the 5.0 open betas and RC's just fine, so it' getting incredibly annoying.
    I don't have the same problem with my PC install.

11. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

To: Unity Engineer:

I think is a Unity Bug(Update: In my case is not unity bug). I has the same problem.
    I notice that when I installed Unity 5.0.2 it ask me to install to the Administration Programs folder and not the normal User programs folder confusing user. And i change path putting it probably in a incorrect place since my pc is 64 bit. C:\Program Files\Unity5
    Hope this can help.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  12. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Probably worth submitting bug report with this information, which will mean the QA guys get to see it. If you post the bug number here, I'll poke the QA guys.

13. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

Try to restart Windows for 4 times !

When i use the software samsung data migration to clone my disk and pas to a much bigger, it make a clone of my ssd . I was passing from a small C: to a bigger one.
    In the first start, looks like the name of the pc is the same but not the user. Looking inside a file, right click > properties > security tab , the user "me.." now is call "user" so is not a Unity problem. The general user name is correct but not the internal system user name. I'm not a Windows expert. Also other programs as for example antivirus and Allgoritmic B2M, Fuse etc are asking me the S/N at the first start. After restarting my system from a complete shutdown and 4 restart, the user name is correct and all runs.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  14. ebifuon

ebifuon

I have the same problem but i'm using Mac not a pc anyone got any tips on how to fix this error?

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Are you logged in as an Admin user?

16. Malakina

Malakina

I updated to Windows10 and went through the same trouble... even after checking the writing permissions on that file in the said folder, it wouldnt work.. I finally solved the problem by simply replacing the file manually by the ULF file I generated on the Unity page without asking Unity itself to do so. Everything worked fine again after (y)

Aurore likes this.
  17. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

Just installed Unity5 on my Mac - same error - I made a folder, wrote a text file, adjusted permissions... but no luck. Unity5 always fails to setup the license file with the same error:

Failed to write license file
    Failed to write "/Library/Application Support/Unity/Unity_v5.x.ulf". Please verify you have write permissions to this file.

At which point, Unity will not start - so no Unity 5 for me :(

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  18. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

Managed to solve it today - just run with sudo from the command line...

sudo -b /Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity

Once the file was created, I can run Unity 5 normally.

19. Lou_rain

Lou_rain

i don't know whats wrong with this please help me

Attached Files:

20. StreetSloth

StreetSloth

How did you do that?

21. StreetSloth

StreetSloth

THANK YOU!!!!

22. dagongraphics

dagongraphics

I was having the same problem here. My Windows 10 updated and Unity couldn't check the license, so i went through all those steps for manual activation but Unity kept saying that it couldn't write on the .ulf file, even though i had changed its control properties to full access.

So i tried to start Unity as adminstrator and everything worked alright.

23. nirleka

nirleka

I have similar issue with Unity 5.4.3 - 64Bit. After major update for Windows 10 (build 10586 - you can check your windows version by run dxdiag), the Unity get this license error. Nothing like delete license, load license locally using license generated from web, and run as administrator works. The weird thing is, using 5.4.3 - 32Bit works. Here what i do:

1. Uninstall Unity 5.4.3 - 64Bit.
    2. Download Unity 32 Bit. Don't use the unity installer, it will download the 64Bit build. Download it from the archive by click the dropdown and choose Unity 32Bit. You will get *UnitySetup32-5.3.4f1.exe* file.
    3. Install Unity 32Bit, Start unity, Login if prompted, Choose license. At this point, you can use Unity.
    4. Restart Windows and run Unity to check if the license working. The weird thing is, when I restarted Unity 5.4.3 - 64Bit, the working license got error. It seem the license not loaded to the memory. So, after install Unity 5.4.3 - 32Bit, please restart to check if the license is works.
    5. After the license worked in 32Bit, if you prefer the 64Bit build, you can uninstall the 32Bit and install the 64Bit build. Don't delete the unity license in ProgramData, the 64Bit Build will use it!
    6. After installing the 64Bit build, In my system, the Unity is work without displaying those nasty license error.

Afterthought

I think the error is the 64Bit build generated error license file and failed to load it since the 32 Bit build generate it correctly.

This maybe not working in your windows 10 system, since I do extra step like updating the VGA driver and remove adware using Adwcleaner.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  24. Maarti

Maarti

Hello, I just had this issue and I simply closed Unity then re-opened it with a "Right click > Run as admin" and the problem is solved. (Windows)
    unityerror.png

Killerdeere likes this.
  25. Quantme

Quantme

Try this:
    1. Locate the file with your file explorer and try to copy (as security backup) to a new location.
    2. Open it (the original file not the backed up) using a tab based editor (Atom, Sublimetext, etc.).
    3. Copy the entire content.
    4. Create a new empty file.
    5. Paste the content on it.
    6. Copy (or, at least, write on paper) the name of the file (Unity_v5.x.ulf).
    7. Make sure you have the content already pasted into the new unnamed file.
    8. Close the original file (C:\ProgramData\Unity) from the editor.
    9. Delete it (using your file explorer) and save the new unnamed file as Unity_v5.x.ulf
    10. Open Unity
    11. If everything go well you can delete the backup.
    12. Enjoy.

26. Doompapa_

Doompapa_

Thanks!!