Search Unity

Unity 5.6 Breaks New Input System

Discussion in 'Input System' started by templewulf, May 24, 2017.

1. templewulf

templewulf

I haven't gotten to the bottom of it yet, but I thought I'd post up a quick notice that updating Unity to 5.6 breaks my input maps.

Specifically, I use PlayerInput's instance method GetActions<T>() to get my action map, and it's now returning null. Which, of course, leads to null reference errors later.

My console is also littered with "get_isPlayingOrWillChangePlaymode" errors as well, which I assume has something to do with it.

Questions:
    1. Is there a public repo with more recent versions of the New Input System? The GitHub and Google Code pages are over a year old now.
    2. Do we have a vague outline of when to expect updates or releases?

2. templewulf

templewulf

To be clear, I understand how hard it can be to stop development on a proprietary code base to create something for the public, and I appreciate all the improvements the input team has made so far. If we just have to wait, I'm more than happy to use standard axis stuff until the system is ready.

3. templewulf

templewulf

My quick fix:

I just changed the ActionMap.cs constructor to OnEnable(). I don't know if there's anything else in 5.6 to be aware of, but it works for now.

Code (CSharp):
    1. //static ActionMap()
    2.         //{
    3.         //    HandlePlayModeCustomizations();
    4.         //    EditorApplication.playmodeStateChanged += HandlePlayModeCustomizations;
    5.         //}
    7.         void OnEnable()
    8.         {
    9.             HandlePlayModeCustomizations();
    10.             EditorApplication.playmodeStateChanged += HandlePlayModeCustomizations;
    11.         }

runevision likes this.
  4. runevision

runevision

No. See the welcome thread for status here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/w...d-info-please-read.397153/page-2#post-2928455

We're not maintaining the prototype as we're focused on developing the proper new input system and getting that released.
    Back in January we said we expected we'd have a public preview release "around summer time" and that's still our expectation.