Search Unity

Unity 5.6.1p3 (latest version) Bug - Shader compile taking several hours

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sgower, Jun 13, 2017.

1. sgower

sgower

With Unity 5.6 (all the recent builds), I'm seeing very long shader compiling during the build process.

When I build, the process gets stuck at:

upload_2017-6-13_12-41-43.png

If I look at the Task Manager, I see several Unity Shader Compiler processes collectively consuming all of the CPU. I've only attempted a small number of builds, but processes below do finish, but it takes 6-8 hours.

upload_2017-6-13_12-39-13.png

I don't have the message handy, but searching the forums, I ran across another message where someone had experienced the same with a previous version of Unity. One of the responses to this message was that "Unity has broken the shader compling process. You should roll back to a previous version".

It appears that there is some history of this problem, and that Unity has once again introduced this problem in the build process.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so please respond and perhaps someone from Unity will take notice and investigate this. As you might imagine, this issue is severely impacting the build testing that I'd like to be doing. Thanks.

2. sgower

sgower

It looks like the "Standard (Specular setup)' is causing the issue. It took 16,740 seconds to compile which is 4.65 hours.

upload_2017-6-13_16-13-18.png

I re-build the project, and this time, the Standard (Specular setup) shader compiled in 263.53s so it looks like the long build only happens once which I can live with. I'll just need to run the first build overnight after I upgrade unity.

Attached Files:

3. dhuang

dhuang

I've been having this exact problem and it's driving me nuts. I would try to build a game for 6-7 hours and it was get stuck at packing sharedassets0

Even if I try to build just an empty scene, it would still do the same thing.

4. IronLionZion

IronLionZion

Yup, same thing in 2017.1.0f3, except the build took 1 1/2 hrs.

5. L1_GAMES

L1_GAMES

Any news on that? Can't run my project anymore cause of this issue! Anyone know which patch release doesn't have this problem?

6. sgower

sgower

Hi, Have you tried building your project overnight? Did complete? Any what happens the next time you run a build? For me, any time I run a build with a new name, it takes a few hours, but then the next builds run more quickly. But there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the build times. Sometimes it will takes 1 hour+, but today I ran another build that seemed to only take around 30 minutes. It's strange.