Search Unity

Bug Unity 5.5xb5 UI breaks after ~10 minutes

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Cygon4, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Cygon4

Cygon4

If I leave the editor open for 10 minutes, the UI becomes useless:

- The context menu will no longer open (instead I get the horizontally mirrored back mouse cursor)
    - Resizing the editor window will just add blank space beyond the panels (layout stopped working)
    - Any dialogs it opens will be empty windows - the "Save Changes?" window for example

I'm still trying to figure out if this occurs after a certain time or after a certain amount of UI stuff has been displayed.

Unity 5.5xb5 on Gentoo Linux AMD64, GeForce 1080 GTX with NVidia drivers 367.27, running KDE5, OpenGL 4.5. Betas of Unity 5.4 used to work fine on this system.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  2. micaelr95

micaelr95

I'm using Ubuntu 15.04 and the Unity 5.5b5 and it works fine. I have no bugs or any problem.
    Maybe it's because you don't use Ubuntu and Ubuntu is the suported distro

3. kmare

kmare

Try with a different desktop environment and see if the problem persists (I know, pulling in a new DE on gentoo is not fun, but it could help).

4. Cygon4

Cygon4

Unity 5.4 worked fine (though it had 100% load on one core - maybe the issues are related? - I've seen a "fix" for that using a zero-sized panel in the UI).

I'll post a callstack of the issue (something with the EditorLayout class) when I next get around to it.

I'm not going to switch from KDE to Gnome or from Gentoo to Ubuntu for Unity, sorry :)

5. kmare

kmare

I suggested to *try* a different DE, not switch to it permanently. It could help the developers find and solve the problem much faster. I wouldn't switch to a different DE or distro either just for Unity3d.

6. Cygon4

Cygon4

Here's a callstack from when the UI breaks. It appears to be a pretty global thing - layouting completely fails on everything, edit panels, color picker, menus...

Code (CSharp):
    1. InvalidOperationException: Operation is not valid due to the current state of the object
    2.   at System.Collections.Generic.Stack`1[System.Boolean].Pop () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    3.   at UnityEditor.EditorGUI.EndChangeCheck () [0x00011] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:312
    4.   at UnityEditor.EditorGUI.Vector3Field (Rect position, Vector3 value) [0x0004c] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:3280
    5.   at UnityEditor.EditorGUI.Vector3Field (Rect position, UnityEngine.GUIContent label, Vector3 value) [0x00027] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:3268
    6.   at UnityEditor.TransformRotationGUI.RotationField (Boolean disabled) [0x0022c] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/TransformRotationGUI.cs:90
    7.   at UnityEditor.TransformRotationGUI.RotationField () [0x00003] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/TransformRotationGUI.cs:31
    8.   at UnityEditor.TransformInspector.Inspector3D () [0x0001d] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/TransformInspector.cs:61
    9.   at UnityEditor.TransformInspector.OnInspectorGUI () [0x00043] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/TransformInspector.cs:47
    10.   at UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) [0x003af] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1233
    11. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:Internal_LogException(Exception, Object)
    12. UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    13. UnityEngine.Logger:LogException(Exception, Object)
    14. UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    15. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow:DrawEditor(Editor, Int32, Boolean, Boolean&, Rect&) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1240)
    16. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow:DrawEditors(Editor[]) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1028)
    17. UnityEditor.InspectorWindow:OnGUI() (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:353)
    18. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
    19. System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    20. System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[]) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    21. UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String, Object) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:249)
    22. UnityEditor.HostView:Invoke(String) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:242)
    23. UnityEditor.HostView:InvokeOnGUI(Rect) (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/HostView.cs:211)
    24. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI() (at /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/GUI/DockArea.cs:340)
    25. (Filename: /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs Line: 312)
    And then...

Code (CSharp):
    1. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    2.   at UnityEngine.GUILayoutUtility.BeginLayoutGroup (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options, System.Type layoutType) [0x0003b] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/IMGUI/Managed/GUILayoutUtility.cs:263
    3.   at UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIContent content, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x0000d] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7217
    4.   at UnityEditor.EditorGUILayout.BeginVertical (UnityEngine.GUIStyle style, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) [0x00008] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/EditorGUI.cs:7202
    5.   at UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditor (UnityEditor.Editor editor, Int32 editorIndex, Boolean rebuildOptimizedGUIBlock, System.Boolean& showImportedObjectBarNext, UnityEngine.Rect& importedObjectBarRect) [0x00396] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1225
    6.   at UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.DrawEditors (UnityEditor.Editor[] editors) [0x00160] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:1028
    7.   at UnityEditor.InspectorWindow.OnGUI () [0x0007a] in /home/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorWindow.cs:353
    8.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke (object,object[],System.Exception&)
    9.   at System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) [0x000d0] in /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222

7. spacepluk

spacepluk

I'm having similar issues on Arch Linux + Gnome.

8. Giezu

Giezu

Same on Ubuntu 16.04 with i3wm

9. Cygon4

Cygon4

I've had the chance to let Unity sit idle for a few hours.

The UI still worked after that, but when I began working in Unity, it soon broke. So it's not time-based but happening after a number of UI actions have taken place.

10. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

It usually breaks after hitting play. But if you do not hit play, for most of the time you will be fine.

11. Sidevoice

Sidevoice

I experience quite the same behaviour on Ubuntu 14.04. Though I should mention that dialogs are not really empty, I cannot see their content, but it's there. When I click on the blank space, where some stuff normally should be, I get the expected behaviour.
    And also in the previous version of Unity everything used to worked fine

12. AurimasBlazulionis

AurimasBlazulionis

Exactly! They are there, and the shadows appear.

13. LearningNot

LearningNot

on lubuntu LXDE 16.10 am having brakings too

14. knobby67

knobby67

Same as me on Lubuntu. Also some pop ups missing, eg cloth editor

15. Hyper_2979

Hyper_2979

Same issue on Antergos (Arch) Linux using i3wm. After a varying amount of interaction with the UI, the menu bar will turn completely white, all drop-downs will cease to appear, and all pop-up windows appear blank (some will partially appear as if they've been scrolled down such as the color selector). If more information is needed, I will supply it if requested/instructed.

16. Cygon4

Cygon4

Did some more tests.

- As @Sidevoice said I can still click on some elements even though they're not visible (like the 'scene' and 'game' view tabs which I left in their standard locations).
    - After resizing the main window, the UI will eventually update its layout and match the window size again, but this takes many seconds
    - Menus don't open at all

Still on Gentoo AMD64, KDE5, OpenGL 4.5 (via GTX 1080, NVidia drivers 370.28), Unity 5.5xb5.

unity-ui-messup.png

17. Hoogin

Hoogin

Same problem here on Slackware 14.2 using KDE4. Unity 5.5xb5.