Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.5.1f Shader Error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Hybridizer, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Hybridizer

Hybridizer

I just recently upgraded to Unity 5.5.1f (32-Bit Windows) and am experiencing an error that basically makes Unity unusable.

Upon launching Unity and waiting for my project to update, the entire shader system is broken. Nearly every shader has "unlinked" from materials and everything is the bright pink color of "missing texture". It is now impossible to assign any shaders, as they all immediately switch to a single "Render Queue" value that has no noticeable impact when changed. Not all Materials are immediately affected, but quickly change once another shader (or the current one) is selected.

Screenshots included below:
    Figure 1 - Basic overview of the Editor now, and the new outline setup.
    Figure 2 - New view of a freshly-created Material.
    Figure 3 - List view of shaders, indicating that a shader is indeed selected but is failing to attach to the Material.
    Figure 4 - A still currently working shader selected, showing that the selected shader (Unity's Standard Shader) is no longer attached or selected.
    Figure 5 - A previously working shader alongside a still currently working shader, despite both using the Standard Shader.

I have been able to find no help pertaining to this issue, and restarting my computer did not solve it, so I will be attempting to install the 5.5.1p4 patch in hopes of resolving the issue.

Attached Files:

2. Hybridizer

Hybridizer

UPDATE: Installing Unity patch 5.5.1p4 did not solve my issue, it now crashes Unity upon launch every time. In the Unity Bug Reporter, the same project that experienced the above shader issue is referenced (it is the only project I opened with Unity 5.5.1f). Questionably, the 64-bit version of the patch installed, but I am sure 32-bit was selected during install.

Restarting my computer has not solved the issue, and the fact that the project mentioned above was included in the Bug Report automatically, leads me to believe it has been corrupted to some degree by the previous update.

The "Network 3.0" error mentioned above had stated that I may have to reinstall Unity. Unfortunately Windows does not seem to give me the option to "repair" Unity due to the installation progress, so I will have to wait through the full install again. If this does not work, I am considering downgrading back to Unity 5.4.1 (all my previous projects had worked fine on it, and only the project mentioned above was upgraded to 5.5.1f so I am not worried about other projects), although I am still concerned about the potentially corrupted project above. I can extract assets from it if needed, but if this project is preventing Unity from opening (even though it was set not to open any projects upon launch) then will I need to delete it?