Search Unity

Unity 5.4 Virtual Reality SDKs - Stereo Displays ?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Gruguir, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Gruguir

Gruguir

Is there any specific documentation about Virtual Reality SDKs settings and best practices ?

I'd like to knows what are the two stereo displays SDKs :
    - Stereo Display (non head-mounted)
    - Split Stereo Display (non head-mounted)

I assume they are reffering to 3d monitor technologies (but located in 'Virtual reality SDKs') ?

Is there a way to detect hardware (monitor/Vr headset) and run in the proper mode or is it better to let the user choose ?

I'm working on a project with the will to cover the maximum of stereoscopic hardware (and distribution platforms) so i'd be glad to get some hints.

2. Gruguir

Gruguir

I don't have a 3D vision compatible monitor but i've been able to test it in anaglyph mode ('3D Vision Discover').
    Works as intended in 'Stereo Display' VR SDK once i set the direct3D fullscreen mode as 'exclusive'.
    I still don't get what are the differences between stereo/split modes. Only that 3D Vision (Discover) works for me in stereo mode.

3. Gruguir

Gruguir

Looks like Nvidia 3D vision works out of the box without Unity Stereo VR SDK implemented so i'm really curious what it could be used for ? anyone ??

4. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Stereo Display (non head-mounted) uses the directx api to submit left / right images for stereo monitors / tv displays. The advantage of using this over the automatic Nvidia 3d vision mode is that there are additional paramters that you can tweak in your game for optimal 3d depth. An additional parameter on the camera is functional https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera-stereoConvergence.html to control the convergence plane since it won't be infinity. You can also change https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Camera-stereoSeparation.html. You might want to tweak these for UIs etc.

As for Split Stereo Display (non head-mounted), this is actually our internal debug stereo renderer that we run all of our graphics tests against. It runs the whole stereoscopic rendering pipeline which would normally either output to the HMD SDKs or DX API or whatever, but instead we just render directly to the screen left / right stereo pairs. We didn't intentionally hide it, but I guess we didn't really document it either :) We'll make that happen.

5. aalmada

aalmada

@thep3000 I was looking for a way to use the VR support to stereo render on AR HMDs (other than HoloLens). I'm glad you didn't hide the Split Stereo Display (non head-mounted) because it works fine on the Epson Moverio BT-200 that runs Android. I guess the (non head-mounted) in the name is only because it doesn't include tracking.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  6. aalmada

aalmada

@thep3000 it would be nice if you also documented how to add support to other sterescopic devices using the VR support feature.

catox likes this.
  7. aalmada

aalmada

Just now I noticed the cameras for Split Stereo Display (non head-mounted) are swapped. It's easily fixed by setting a negative Stereo Separation in the camera settings.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  8. NickAtUnity

NickAtUnity

Unity Technologies

The cameras are swapped which is a known bug. Negative separation is a good workaround but know that at some point the bug will be fixed and then your negative separation will cause them to invert.

aalmada likes this.
  9. tanck09

tanck09

Hi everyone,

How do I enable the camera in Unity to render in stereoscopic, line-interlaced mode for 3D display such as Zalman 3D display, or anaglyph? The Camera class has more attributes such as Camera.stereoConvergence, stereoTargetEye, etc. Is there any documentation on how to use them to generate line-interlace, or Anaglyph mode? I will be grateful if any of you can share codes or lead me to some documentation.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
    CK

10. tufeixp

tufeixp

Is it possible to merge Nintendo 3ds branch and provide options to aid apps design for auto-stereoscopic devices?

11. moure

moure

Any idea why changing stereo convergence values has no effect? My setup is Unity 5.4.2p2 + Vr sdk Stereo Display (non head mounted) + active 3d tv. Stereo separation works correctly. Should i report it as a bug or is this functionality intended?

12. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Please submit a bug, it must've regressed. Convergence is important for non-headmounted stereo 3d.

13. rolandha

rolandha

14. catox

catox

So agreed.
    And it will be so useful if there is a way to enable Instancing Stereo Rendering on Android devices to let the Camera render target as a Texture2DArray :)