Search Unity

UNITY 5.4.3 RELEASE DATE??? URGENT!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ohyouknow, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

Any idea when 5.4.3 is going to be released. Currently running into a major split binary OBB issue for Android. Have to resort to 5.3.6, or else we face a huge lag where it can take upwards of 2 minutes to load a scene that takes 10 seconds. Also, having an issue where some devices download from the googleplay store and have a black screen. Only way to solve is to reboot device or turn on permissions (if required) manually.

This is a huge problem. I read in a tracker that the problem is solved in 5.4.3, but no sign as to when it will be released. These OBB issues from the black screen to the long load times need to be fixed asap!!!!

Please let us know whats going on.

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

When it's done (tm). You can't expect a reliable release date, sorry.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. N1warhead

N1warhead

Considering 5.4.2 just released it may be a little bit of time... I'd say (in my probably wrong opinion) at least 2 weeks for another update minimum... But hopefulyl someone with Unity can answer this for you.... I just normally see an update every 2 weeks to 2 months. I guess it just ultimately depends how far along on schedule they are with finishing things.

Again this is just my assumption, I could be very wrong and it be out in 2 days.

But hopefully Unity tech can answer this for you.

4. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@hippocoder @N1warhead even a patch with this fix would be great. They've overlooked this issue that many people have been complaining about for a long time.

Hopefully a patch with the OBB fix will be put out. Even in the new betas, it says its fixed, why can't they just roll out a patch in 5.4.1 or 5.4.2? This is a huge problem for all Android developers that need to split binary due to APP size.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

patches are frequent, every fortnight or around thereabouts, so you'll have to check back :/

JamesArndt and Kiwasi like this.
  6. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

7. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Hi, 5.4.2p1 has a fix, but we are a bit delayed with this release. Expect it sometime this week.

karl_jones likes this.
  8. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

9. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

hi @SaraCecilia and @superpig I'm in the process of importing my files over to the new patch, and i'm hoping it solves these issues! Thank you for the quick reply/info. One question, in the notes it says "fixed splitting files", is there any more detail to what that means? There were more than 1 issue from a super slow loading OBB to having a black screen on certain samsung devices. Do you know if this fix has anything to do with either/both?

It will take hours for my game to crossover since its a huge file, which is why I'm asking ahead of time.

10. superpig

superpig

You can click the number on the release notes page to go to the IssueTracker page, if there is one. In this case it's this one - the slow loading problem.

As for black screens on certain Android devices - do you have a bug number or IssueTracker link for it?

11. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

hi @superpig I don't have a bug number or an issue tracker link because it's not something simple to recreate. I tried the new patch, and it didn't help my case. What it does is when I download the beta from googleplay, the OBB doesn't load. When I press on the app to launch, it launches a black screen. It doesn't crash, but it just doesn't do anything. When I go into the permissions of my game and allow permissions, then it works fine, or if I reboot the device without changing anything, upon reboot, it will run as it should. The permissions stuff is located in the first scene, which won't launch on Samsung, but will work for nexus for some reason.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  12. superpig

superpig

I'm not really an Android guy, but aren't you supposed to specify permissions in the Android manifest rather than from inside the scene? I think Unity is supposed to generate the manifest for you automatically based on the code you're using, but you can also make your own if you need to include permissions that Unity isn't generating for you.

13. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@superpig yes, all that has already been completed. It works without an issue on nexus, but not samsung. It used to work on Samsung before, but for some reason now it doesn't.

14. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

15. Ohyouknow

Ohyouknow

@Yury-Habets Thats correct, the Nexus is running on Nougat. The issue was this. My game is over 100mb so we have to split binary's. Thus far it had no issues loading on my samsung tab S2, but what happened is google is wanting to feature my game so we had to make some changes like add permission warnings for the permission request. Before, we had a separate scene for the permission request alerts and it worked fine, but we ended up tweaking it and placing the same permission request code within the first scene, and not giving it its own. We don't think thats what the issue is since it loads fine on the nexus, but only loads a black screen on the samsung now. I can confirm that whether it was 6.0 or 7.0, both devices always loaded properly when the permission code was in a separate scene of its own.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  16. Yury-Habets

Yury-Habets

Unity Technologies

Could you provide more details about the setup and when you see the black screen?
    What's in the first scene?
    Do you see any errors in the console? (dev build preferred)

17. bambamyi

bambamyi

I have seen this long load time issue being more of device specific issue... not unity issue. I was also using 4.6.5. As far as the permissions go, as someone stated, it should be done in manifest file.