Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.2.0p1 iOS Launch Image - Wrong Size

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Deleted User, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Everything was fine until I upgraded to 5.2.

I had 2 appropriately sized splash screens for iPad portrait(768x1024, 1536x2048) selected in the player settings, and the splash screen showed up correctly. Now, the splash screen shows up grainy and stretched like the wrong image is being used.

I noticed the splash screens I chose are now under "Legacy Launch Images", but I've chosen "Default" for launch screen type.

Shouldn't the old behaviour be preserved, or is there some new requirement?
    Is anyone else having this problem?

Unity 5.2.0p1
    iOS 8
    iPad Air

Thanks

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

3. peterahou

peterahou

I also noticed this in 5.2.1. Did you file a bug report?

4. andymads

andymads

I was messing around with this stuff yesterday. You need to choose option 'None' to use the legacy images. The manual says "The behavior is as if only launch images are used."

I was trying to use the new 'Image with background' options but they didn't produced the expected result so I submitted a bug report (#730144). See this thread.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well...This seems like it almost did it, but something is still wrong. When opening the app, the stretched/incorrect splash screen shows for a second, then I see a flash of the correct one show for a split second before landing on the main menu.

6. Raimis

Raimis

This happened to me with legacy images as well on my iphone 5, not sure if it's unity issue or xcode. Decided to provide proper launch image XIB as majority users have already updated to ios8-9 and they should see xibs instead of legacy images.

7. yakandco

yakandco

Just a note that if someone is playing around and testing changes with the different launch settings. A gotchya is that you can change the setting to 'None' so that it works in the legacy mode. But if you have previously built using the default setting and installed this on a device. The default launch assets can be cached. The result is that you see a flash of the wrong sized and incorrectly rotated launch image, and then it quickly changes to the legacy launch images. To fix it I just had to delete the installed app. Could be handy for anyone trying different settings to delete the app in between tests so they're not getting tainted results.

Claytonious and Raimis like this.
  8. Morgan

Morgan

I have my various "legacy" launch screens defined, including 6 Plus and iPad... but when I build, the iPad shows the iPhone splash screen zoomed WAY up. Part of the same bug?

Or are there docs anywhere for the new splash screen options? I haven't found much.

9. yakandco

yakandco

That sounds like the same bug. We used the None option to the legacy images... however.. we just discovered a new bug while using the none option. Seems to only happen on iOS 9.0.1 - the default image appears and is then followed by a ghosted version of the same image thats rotated and 90 degrees and overlaid. I don't know why, but this problem goes away on 9.0.2 - using 5.2.0f1 or the 5.2.1p2 patch make no difference. Using xcode 7.0 or 7.0.1 didn't seem to make any difference either.. iPhones on 9.0.1 - specifically an i5, and i6 and i6S+ were tested and show the bug to occur.

10. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

We are aware about iOS 9 and iPad splashscreen issue when Launch Screens type of splashscreen is used. Switching to None should work around this issue.
    I tried to reproduce @yakandco issue on iPhone6+ with iOS 9.0.1 and iPhone Launch Screen option set None and everything worked just fine.
    Maybe it was some left-over of previous deployment? Could you please try to replace your Xcode project from scratch when building from Unity. Also please remove old deployment of app from device, before re-trying to re-deploy it from Xcode.
    Thanks!

11. yakandco

yakandco

Thanks for the suggestions Mantas and for trying to replicate the issue - unfortunately we've already tried all of that. I know what you mean how the launch content can be cached and taint a build - I've had this issue on and off for years working with iOS, but I'm not sure that's our issue. We never use the append option anymore as it seemed to break a few months back and have adopted to always replace. We've also deleted the app in between each deployment and are restarting the devices before installing. I've tried creating an adhoc build on one machine, installing it from another, and it doesn't matter what we do we've got this bug happening for devices running 9.0.1 - if we try any of the builds created on 9.0.2 they don't have the issue. I even wondered whether xcode was still caching assets somehow and tried forcing a clean on a project before replacing it. So bizarre... I might try a completely fresh project to see if there's some residual setting or something about our project that triggers it.

12. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please let us know it that makes any difference.
    Thanks!

13. Morgan

Morgan

The 10/3 patch seems to have helped in my case--except when running on iOS 7.

With the launch screen being an image-and-background (relative, 100%), plus the legacy images set:

- iOS 9 is fine

- iOS 8 is fine

- iOS 7: iPad (iPad 2 specifically) shows the correct iPad launch screen, THEN a flash of the iPHONE launch screen (stretched and ugly). The flash is not a leftover: this iPad never displayed the iPhone launch screen before.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  14. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please submit a bug report.
    Thanks!

15. yakandco

yakandco

We've just tried out the latest patch version 5.2.1p3 and the launch screen images have gotten worse. Since 5.2 we've experienced inconsistent results on the launch screen images for iOS devices. For a time we had narrowed the bug down to only affecting devices running 9.0.1 only (when using 5.2.1p2). Now since this latest patch this bug is happening on every single device we try from iOS7 to 9, iPads to iPhones. The launch image displays correctly to start with, then your 2nd stage launch image displays rotated 90 degrees. I noticed this new note in the release notes:

(none) - iOS: Pick 2-nd stage splash screens from asset catalogs when possible.

I thought perhaps that your code was choosing the wrong portrait images for the 2nd stage, but I've tried to force rotate the portrait images so that they would counter rotate when the bug occurs, however the bug persists which suggests the landscape image is just being displayed incorrectly. I've deleted the app in between installs. I've been using the replace option. I've been hitting clean all build targets, restarting the devices. Nothing helps.

We have to submit a final build any day now and if this isn't fixed ASAP we're going to have no choice but to go out with our launch this bug making two years of hard work look like complete amateurs. If you have any suggestions on how we could get around this bug without having to wait for a new patch version we'd very much appreciate - is there a view controller I can hack - Im guessing this area is too sticky to mess with given the unity pro splash screen checks (we do have a pro license though if it helps our case for a hack).

I'm in the process of submitting a bug report with a completely new bare bones project (I'll post the case number when i get it). I'd hoped their was something about our project that was triggering it, but it's happening in this new project as well. Simply build to a device and the problem occurs. Im using xcode 7.0, last week when we had issues with the previous patch versions we'd tried xcode 7.0.1 but the results were the same. We have to use the None/Legacy option because we must support back to iOS7.

Do the launch screen images work for anyone on any device with the latest patch version using the None option?

MrEsquire likes this.
  16. Ospa

Ospa

Second stage splash (the one that shows up when Unity Engine finally starts) doesn't work here on any device with the 5.2.1p3
    I ended up disabling the whole second stage and showing black screen instead. :/

17. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Please reach me via PM once you have your case number.
    Thanks!

18. yakandco

yakandco

Thanks again Mantas will do.

19. engieelec

engieelec

20. yonek

yonek

I am fighting with the new splash screens since last week.
    Now it is generally working as it should.
    One strange thing that might make you think that something is wrong is that iOS does cache the splash screen. So if you ran the apps before with different splash selected then it will keep showing just after app is started.
    To clean the cache just restart your iOS device.

21. yakandco

yakandco

Thanks Yonek.. but yea we're aware of the caching and have tried everything to eliminate this as a possibility. I can't be 100% certain it's still not the issue.. I hope it is to be honest. But nothing we try seems to help =(

^^ Mantas still waiting for a reply that the bug report has been received with a case number.. will PM as soon as we hear back.

22. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

Hmm.. you typically should receive it quite quickly like in hour or two. If it's taking more than day then it might be that something went wrong and submission didn't reach the server.

23. yakandco

yakandco

It said that it had been successfully submitted?! :(

Today we tried to install an adhoc build that was built using the patch3 version via test flight onto an iphone 6 running the latest iOS that had never installed a previous version of our app.. ie no xcode, no computer and no cached assets, and they also get this error. For this device though instead of seeing the launch image wrong (stretched and rotated 90 degrees) as the 2nd stage, they were getting this wrong one for the 1st stage, with the second one being correct.

We've run out of time now and our build app is going to have to go out like this... Im going to try patch 4 just out of desperation, but I see nothing in the release notes that suggests anything has been done about it.

I'll try again to submit another bug report, but there's not much to it.. start a fresh project, choose the None options for the launch images, add the appropriately sized images, we're running IL2CPP, automatic graphics api, build for iOS using xcode 7 and try it on any iPhone or iPad or OS combination. Hopefully you get to the bottom of this so we put out a prompt update.

24. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

If you have problem only with first stage splashcreen being incorrect then you can tweak this directly in Xcode as for any other iOS App. Just open image asset catalog and check if correct images are assigned to specific devices.

What are your autorotation options in Player Settings?

25. yakandco

yakandco

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately it's not just that result though. We mostly have the result where the 2nd stage is wrong, but on an iPhone 6 it is the 1st stage that's wrong. I also just got a different result again on an iPhone 5 tonight - this time the 1st stage launch image was correct, the 2nd stage wasn't rotated 90 degrees but was visibly squished on the vertical axis.

Our images are correct and haven't changed for over 9 months, they were working perfectly until 5.2. We have auto rotation, use animated autorotation, and both landscape orientations.

26. Mantas-Puida

Mantas-Puida

I mean Unity might be putting them into wrong slots in image catalog on Xcode project. So you could override them manually in Xcode if you are in hurry to submit to the App Store.

27. van_ustwo

van_ustwo

I'm getting a stretched splash image on the second stage splashscreen on legacy launch screen.

Repo steps.

1. Set none for iPhone and iPad launch image and set all images in legacy launch screen.
    2. Notice the splash image is stretched on second stage.

I'm using Unity 5.2.1p3. iPad Air with iOS 9.0.2 and iPad 2 with iOS 7.1

28. dustinbahr

dustinbahr

Also experiencing strange behavior with Unity 5.2.1p4 and Xcode 7.

Opened an old project and now splash screens are totally jacked up. I can't seem to even get them to JUST GO AWAY so I have something at least presentable.

Super frustrating as it takes forever to build and test a small change.

How can I A) just go back to how they were, or B) completely disable both stages of splash screen so it is black until my first scene?

29. Benzor

Benzor

Same issue here: on Unity 5.2.1p4, Xcode 7, and iOS 9, the splash screen is portrait and zoomed in, super pixellated. Also the game is supposed to run landscape both ways but it always starts upside down.

@yakandco have you gotten a ticket number yet? I wanna go upvote it as much as I can ;)

MrEsquire likes this.
  30. yakandco

yakandco

I had a look and no =( .. all of the images in xcode are correctly added.

31. BeeBop1

BeeBop1

@Mantas Puida What's up with this bug, is it fixed yet? Looks so bad when the first thing people see is a stretched image!!

32. kp01

kp01

Hey guys
    any solutions for this problem?
    I have 5.2.1f1 version.

33. Mishaps

Mishaps

I can't ship with 5.2.1p4 because of this bug. On iPad Air the splash starts fine but switches from landscape to a portrait-orientation pixelated version that looks highly unprofessional.....

34. peterahou

peterahou

We're in the same situation. Fingers crossed this is fixed in the next patch.

35. peterahou

peterahou

Well, it's not fixed in 5.2.2 :(

36. Driven

Driven

same here, first the correct splash screen is shown and then it switches to a stretched pixelated version in portrait mode even if there is no portrait mode supported or portrait splash screen assigned. What was the last version this was working?

37. peterahou

peterahou

I'm pretty sure it was working before 5.2 as the OP mentioned. In 5.2.0p1 the release notes state:

Changes
    • iOS: Use launch screens as primary source for splash images.

I think that's when the issues started to appear.

MrEsquire likes this.
  38. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Bumping topic, issue stopping us releasing game, already 3 separate and similar threads.
    Need developer to respond asap..

39. dnomn8r

dnomn8r

40. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

41. peterahou

peterahou

It appears to solve the rotation issues, yes. So far, I've tested it on an iPad 2 and an iPhone 6 successfully.

MrEsquire likes this.
  42. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thanks for the confirmation, so you just did this: Add image = nil; at row 110 in SplashScreen.mm
    Or there is more to it?

43. peterahou

peterahou

Yes, I just deleted the build from device, added the code and made a new build.

Kirill-G and MrEsquire like this.
  44. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thanks, sorry to bother you again, but I'm using Unity 4.6.9 and the code maybe different in terms of the line numbers, do you have a snippet of the code so I know where exactly to place it :)

45. peterahou

peterahou

Sure, here you go:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     // Try asset catalog on iOS 7.0+. Note, that we can't be sure that asset
    2.     // catalog is used, because the deployment target might have been lower and
    3.     // thus old launch images are used.
    4.     UIImage* image = [UIImage imageNamed:@"LaunchImage"];
    5.     image = nil;
    6.     if (image == nil)
    7.     {

codestage likes this.
  46. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Thanks for your help dude, my suspicion was correct - 5.1x code and 4.6.9 generated SplashScreen.mm seems to be very different.

So not sure which line to edit in 4.6x series. Just need a developer to check this.

47. thecodes

thecodes

If you don't mind sharing, how did you make the XIB file?

48. Raimis

Raimis

In iOS publish settings under Splash Image if you select Launch Screen Type as Image and Background (any of the two) - Unity will generate and use XIBs. (Note sure about Default selection, but i guess it will result in XIB too; would need to check manual to be sure).

49. peterahou

peterahou

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the hack works with devices running iOS 9.1 :-(

MrEsquire likes this.
  50. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Have you tried 5.2.2p1? or this not possible option for you?
    Slim chance it will work but always hopeful.