Search Unity

Unity 5.1 VR Getting Started

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by thep3000, Jun 10, 2015.

1. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

FYI, Docs on the new Unity 5.1 VR support are here:

http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/VROverview.html

Recommended Stable Version: 5.1.2p2

Here is the current list of known issues:
    • Oculus 0.6.0.1 runtime is required on Windows, 0.5 on Mac (OSX 10.9+)
    • When upgrading an Oculus / GearVR project from the legacy Oculus Unity Integration Plugin to 5.1 Unity VR, be sure to remove any Oculus plugins from your project to avoid deploy / runtime errors, or replace them with Oculus Utilities for Unity which work with Unity VR.
    • VRSettings.renderScale is non-functional on GearVR
    • UI: Screen Space - Overlay not supported. Recommended to use Screen Space - Camera or World Space. "Scale With Screen Size" is recommended so UI looks the same on Gear VR.
    Edit: Another thing to note, make sure you have "Stereoscopic rendering" checkbox unchecked.

Getting Started (Windows)
    Here is a bit more detailed quick start guide for getting started with Oculus + Windows development on Unity 5.1. You can review more detailed documentation in the Oculus Developer Docs.
    1. Install Oculus Runtime for Windows V0.6.0.1-beta
    2. Reboot
    3. Open Oculus Configuration Utility from the system tray. Hook up your DK2 (DK1 has some known issues right now, use at your own risk).

Make sure you have a User listed in the drop down box. If you don't, click the + button and add one.
    4. Click Show Demo Scene and make sure that the demo scene works correctly.

If you are having issues, you can try changing to Extended Mode in Tools -> Rift Display Mode.
      If you are still having issues at this point, please visit the Oculus forums to troubleshoot.
    5. Exit the demo scene and close the Oculus Config Utility.
    6. Now you are ready to start up Unity, grab the version suggested above, and create a new project.
    7. Open menu Edit -> Project Settings -> Player. Select Other Settings, check the Virtual Reality Supported checkbox.
    8. Click Play in the editor. Put on the Rift. You should see a fully head tracked skybox.
    9. Build your game!
    Getting Started (Mac)
    5.1.0p1 onward works with Oculus Runtime 0.5.0.1-beta on Mac (10.9+). It is functional, but there is a tearing issue that we are fixing in a future build (I don't have a timeline on this yet). We plan to still support mac via 0.5.x runtime, but as Oculus announced, Windows + Gear VR is where Oculus' primary focus will be for the near future.

Since MacOS does not currently support direct rendering, adjusting your display settings to rotate the Rift’s display by 90 degrees is necessary for the DK2. The display settings are located in System Preferences->Displays.

Getting Started (Gear VR)

1. Be sure that you can deploy a Unity app to your Note4 or S6 (see Getting Started with Android Development)
    2. You do not need to install anything extra on your machine to deploy to GearVR.
    3. Create an empty project.
    4. Switch your build platform to Android. Open menu Edit -> Project Settings -> Player. Select Other Settings, check the Virtual Reality Supported checkbox.
    5. You must include an Oculus signature file in your project.
    6. Build and run. Insert the device into your headset and see the skybox with head tracking.
    What to do if you're having problems
    If you can't get the blue oculus demo scene to run on windows / osx, please visit the Oculus forum to troubleshoot the Oculus Runtime.

If you can't get Unity to work even though the oculus demo scene works, check the Editor and Player logs before submitting a bug with these attached. Alerting us of the case # on the forum here is encouraged so that other users can find details as well.

If you are having an issue with Gear VR, it is most useful to see a full logcat. These can be quite verbose, but editing / filtering them can cut out valuable information.

Feedback
    If anything is missing from 5.1 Unity VR that makes it difficult to ship your game, please continue to let us know in this forum. Unity VR will continue to evolve and we want to make it as easy and powerful as possible.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

• Apps that use linear lighting won't render. Recommended to use gamma for now.
    Thanks for the update, is this going to be fixed in the patch? This isnt a trivial setting... thanks!

3. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Fix is currently scheduled for patch 2 which is either next week or the following week.

4. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Great, thanks

5. BradHerman

BradHerman

I have having issues getting VR mode to work outside the editor with the 0.6.0 runtime.
    I'm using a simple bare bones scene of cubes for testing.

In editor everything works fine. VR checked, stereo checked.
    hit play and all is good.

I make a 64 bit build, and the app launches in full screen on left monitor in mono.
    I try the "-vrmode oculus" and for my app it does nothing.
    I tried a friends app who is having the same issue with unity 5.1 and from his I get head tracking working but the display is still the left monitor and still mono.

Oculus runtime drivers are set to direct mode.

6. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Stereo should not be checked when using Oculus Virtual Reality. Your camera will automatically be setup for Stereoscopic rendering even if this option is not turned on. There is a bit of confusion having Virtual Reality supported and Stereoscopic rendering toggles right next to each other, but the Stereoscopic toggle is actually VRDeviceType.Stereo. We are aware that this is causing some confusion and are looking at how to properly address the confusion.

7. MajorParts

MajorParts

Would help if the 0.6 runtime actually worked

gregroberts likes this.
  8. Binary42

Binary42

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  9. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

A fix for AA is currently scheduled for p2, next week. Updated known issues list above.

10. hardcoded2

hardcoded2

Any possibility for setting different rendering masks for left/right eye with the new system? This is needed for stereo video.

Lumen-Digital likes this.
  11. S_P_S

S_P_S

My application now works with Unitys build in VR support but I have a huge streaking effect.

Even if the Oculus Demo Scene is running good, I get a poor performance with my Unity application.
    With Runtime 5.0.1 and Oculus Integration it worked correctly but now its most of the time unplayable.

For me it looks like too little frames or something, but this problem even exist when I run basic scenes.
    Maybe my Projectsettings- Time,Quality and Player are adjusted wrong?

I tried this on different PCs (all definitely powerful enough) but the result is stillt the same.

Need definitel help on this topic!

Regards

12. Polynechramorph

Polynechramorph

Great! does anybody have a DK2 first person prefab that works?
    I'd be over the moon to get my hands on something better than the botched patch from Unity4

13. Polynechramorph

Polynechramorph

Oh OK got it working fine for me. Just needed to read up a little bit.:)
    Deleted the OVR packages and just dropped in a first person prefab from standard assets and works like a dream.
    tweek the walk speed a bit...

14. StivenUnity

StivenUnity

Hi ,Can i do VR head tracking with UnityEngine.VR and Gyroscope sensors?

15. Voxel-Busters

Voxel-Busters

@thep3000 Does patch1 works for Mac? I see mentioning 0.6 runtime is required. Oculus doesn't list any downloads for mac. Could you please clarify on making it work on Mac?

Thanks.

16. MarxentAnthony

MarxentAnthony

To Follow up with Voxel Buster's question. I am trying out 5.1.1 and can only find a 'Virtual Reality Supported' toggle in the Player Settings, but I do not see any VR Settings. Where is the VR Settings. When I press play I get this message

[Compositor] ERROR: Compositor failed to initialize.
    And
    Bad config or LibOVR not found. VR disabled.

I have Oculus Rift Mobile SDK 0.6.0.1 but am not sure if I need to include the Unity integration package anymore. Please clarify.

Update Added in the LibOVR folder in the removed the error.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  17. Radius

Radius

Thank you for the new features!. After switching from OVR controller, I have been using the standard FPS controller in my scenes for a while now everything working fine.

However as another poster mentioned I am seeing some performance reduction, a lot of ghosting etc in scenes that previously ran very smoothly, even simple scenes. I don't have stereoscopic ticked and have run through the entire checklist of do's and don'ts for a week or so now,so I have 3 things.

1. IS it possible that if I haven't updated the standard assets in my build ( eg copied from another unity folder) I could not be getting any of the optimizations mentioned? Is there anything I need to be careful of there?

2. More of a request but I need to spawn projectiles using a force from the head rotation/position however they currently will only move through the world from the mouse and body position even though parented to the camera and head. I found a work around to add a second FPS controller in the scene and that somehow fixes things, but then framerate is even worse.

3.I would love a checkbox that has head movement affect your walk/run direction as was a previous option in the OVR FPS controller. If you are wondering why, it's because everything in my game mechanics depend on shooting from your helmet, I am working on making on Part 2 of this game now. https://share.oculus.com/app/tekrok---the-gathering-storm

Thank you for the help.

18. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Is there anything obvious in the profiler? If you can pinpoint a scene that you can share which has a performance regression in Unity 5.1 vs. the plugin oculus integration, please share it via a bug report.

I don't think so, any standard assets should be fine at this point.

Not sure I follow, but perhaps you should spawn the projectile as a child of the camera so that you get the head rotation / position applied to it, but then immediately remove it so that it is in world space instead of camera space?

We are working on some new standard assets that make their usage in VR easier. We will take this into consideration.

19. Voxel-Busters

Voxel-Busters

Could you please answer this @thep3000

20. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Patch 1 works with Oculus Runtime 0.5.0.1-beta on Mac (10.9+). It is functional, but there is a tearing issue that we are fixing in a future build (I don't have a timeline on this yet). We plan to still support mac via 0.5.x runtime, but as Oculus announced, Windows + Gear VR is where Oculus' primary focus will be for the near future.

21. papibeast

papibeast

Hi , new on the forums and have a quick question.
    Does the OCULUS RIFT DK1 work with unity 5? or should i spend the extra cash and buy the DK2?
    Thanks

22. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Oculus says there are some known issues with DK1 and 0.6.0 that they plan on fixing in 0.6.0.1. I don't know the timeline for that. DK2 is what we focus on, fyi.

23. bleu

bleu

I can't seem to run it on the Gear VR (Note 4). I made a really simply project with a sphere and plane, and made sure that VR support was checked. No SDK files from Oculus are included in this project. The app launches and then takes me to Gear VR home. Here are some error messages from adb logcat:

E/Unity (16464): Can't add component because class 'OVRManager' doesn't exist!
    E/Unity (16464):
    E/Unity (16464): (Filename: Line: 691)
    E/Unity (16464):
    E/Unity (16464): Can't add component because class 'OVRCameraRig' doesn't exist!
    E/Unity (16464):
    E/Unity (16464): (Filename: Line: 691)
    E/Unity (16464):

a few others:

F/libc (16464): Fatal signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1, fault addr 0x0 in tid 16481 (UnityMain)
    I/DEBUG (13934): *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
    I/DEBUG (13934): Build fingerprint: 'Verizon/trltevzw/trltevzw:5.0.1/LRX22C/N910VVRU1BOAF:user/release-keys'
    I/DEBUG (13934): Revision: '12'
    I/DEBUG (13934): ABI: 'arm'
    I/DEBUG (13934): pid: 16464, tid: 16481, name: UnityMain >>> com.DefaultCompany.NativeVRTest <<<
    I/DEBUG (13934): signal 11 (SIGSEGV), code 1 (SEGV_MAPERR), fault addr 0x0
    I/DEBUG (13934): r0 00000000 r1 a1e8be9d r2 b3c01888 r3 00000000
    I/DEBUG (13934): r4 ad30bb9c r5 b3c01890 r6 a2102850 r7 a1feea98
    I/DEBUG (13934): r8 00000001 r9 3b9aca00 sl fffffc18 fp c4653600
    I/DEBUG (13934): ip b3c015e8 sp b3c01820 lr a144607c pc a1446090 cpsr 60010010
    I/DEBUG (13934):
    I/DEBUG (13934): backtrace:
    I/DEBUG (13934): #00 pc 00207090 /mnt/asec/com.DefaultCompany.NativeVRTest-3/lib/arm/libunity.so
    I/DEBUG (13934): #01 pc 002fcee4 /mnt/asec/com.DefaultCompany.NativeVRTest-3/lib/arm/libunity.so
    I/DEBUG (13934): #02 pc 0048db98 /mnt/asec/com.DefaultCompany.NativeVRTest-3/lib/arm/libunity.so
    I/DEBUG (13934): #03 pc 004925fc /mnt/asec/com.DefaultCompany.NativeVRTest-3/lib/arm/libunity.so

Any ideas? Running on Mac OS 10.10.3. Unity version is 5.1.1.f1 (personal). A few (other) player settings I tweaked:

---ETC2 (GLES3.0) Texture compression
    --Multithreaded rendering
    --Bundle ID matches company and product names
    --Unchecked android TV support
    --Tried ARMV7 as opposed to FAT, didn't work

Edit: seems to work when I import the OVR src files, but no the plugin. Not sure why this is necessary, since OVR mode works fine on PC without any source files.

Now that I think of it, it would be nice to override any OVR functionality if necessary. Before I was modifying some of the OVR sources. Is this possible when built-in VR support is enabled?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  24. Radius

Radius

thank you thep3000 for the detail reply.

I am putting 2 scenes together to show the differences, having some issues with re importing the OVR package, getting compile errors so I will copy my build and make a new one with OVR cameras and send a bug. Looked in the profiler and one thing seemed strange, GUI.Repaint was using 62% of CPU for playmaker, so I turned that off.

Thanks for taking the use look direction into consideration as a checkbox that is cool:).. I have played a few DK2 demos that use look direction to steer things like a vehicle etc, so I am sure it will be well used.

Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.

Camera stuff sounds good,

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  25. atomtwist

atomtwist

I have a Mac-build, made in 5.1 on a Windows computer.

I can't get it to launch in VR mode.
    tried opening from the terminal with "-vrmode oculus".

but it doesn't work.

Anyone able to help?

26. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

This known issue with personal edition + Android which we are fixing (I'll update the list above). Fix should be in 5.1.1p2 (next week). In the meantime see a potential workaround here.

Make sure you are on 5.1.0p1 or higher, that you have 0.5.0.1-beta oculus runtime installed, and that you're on osx 10.9+. Check the player log for any VRDevice output, if there's anything interesting there please submit a bug and tell us case #. QA will double check that this workflow works today and get back to you.

27. atomtwist

atomtwist

Thanks for the response.
    I'm running Unity 5.1.0p1.
    Reinstalled 0.5.0.1-beta oculus runtime, just to make sure.
    I'm on OSX 10.10.3

The problem persists.

Turns out i can't launch my own builds in VR mode either.
    Built-in VR works fine in the editor for me.

Builds made with older Versions of Unity, using the old oculus integration plugin, are launching in VR mode without problems.

Submitted a bug report:
    Case 706718
    http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?706718_ibb119j7ke2a8iev

Thanks for looking into it.

28. williamj

williamj

Unity Technologies

I can't seem to reproduce this bug and I've got the same versions and everything. Can you provide any additional details that might get me closer to the issue?

29. Tesch

Tesch

Very bad update for me. Went from being very stable and build anything to the the Rift to not able to run anything. The update took three hours to convert the assets and I'm totally useless now. But this gives me a chance to try out UE4 while I'm waiting for the dust to settle. May not be back.......

30. HugoTremblay

HugoTremblay

Sorry for being dense, but how do you enable positional tracking?

Everything else works fine.

31. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@Tesch What issues are you running into? Could you either create a forum post with the issues or file bug reports for the issues if you have time? I recommend a forum post so we can narrow down if the issues might be bugs or just a bad update before filing bug reports.

@HugoTremblay Positional and Rotational tracking will automatically be enabled and work once you enable Virtual Reality Supported in the Player settings. If your tracking isn't working for either, make sure the tracking is working in the Oculus Config Util demo project. If it is working there, it should be working in the Editor and Standalone builds. If it isn't working, try restarting your machine.

MikeyBaylissimo likes this.
  32. HugoTremblay

HugoTremblay

I'm an idiot. It simply was about scale. It was working but the movement relative to the scene was insignificant.

I modified the Roll a Ball scene to enable VR and I expected it to work as if I was looking at something on my desk.

What I did is put the Camera as a child of an empty GameObject which I scaled up to 7 on each axis to get the desired effect. Is it the best way to achieve this?

33. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Yes, the only way to scale the Camera when Virtual reality is enabled is to make the camera a child of another object and then scale the parent. This definitely needs to be done if the world scale is very large and you want the positional tracking to match. Good catch.

34. HugoTremblay

HugoTremblay

Thanks!

So if I scale the parent by 7, is it correct to say that an object which is 1 meter tall (1 Unity unit) is now effectively about 14 cm tall?

35. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

Correct

36. HugoTremblay

HugoTremblay

This is awesome. So simple! Thanks!

37. bleu

bleu

You suggested to include the Oculus plugin in my project but that causes a crash for me. In my case, it was sources that only needed to be included.

38. Binary42

Binary42

LOD's seem to be calculated wrong ( in builds, can't check Oculus in the editor atm). Compared to the regular camera still at a save 100%, chances are good to get LOD1 in VR.

39. Tesch

Tesch

Black screen when I try and run the Oculus in either the editor game or a build and run. I've removed the OVR controler and replaced it with the unity one, nothing. I've tried to run a brand new bare, bones level and still get a black screen. All of my "direct to Rift" builds work just fine. I'm running a MSI GS70 Stealth Laptop with a nvidia GTX970m in High performance graphics mode on Win 8.1

40. bleu

bleu

Unity 5.1.1p2 has just been released. Among the release notes, I found these items:
    • (705638) - VR: Fixed GearVR crash with Android Personal Edition.
    • (706852) - VR: Fixed upgrade issue from 5.1.1 which could result in VR loss of functionality.
    Like p3000 stated, the fix was going to come out. I'll give it a shot soon.

Edit: Seems good. Thank you for the fix, guys!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015
  41. Tapgames

Tapgames

I'm trying to get VR mode to work correcly in Unity 5.1.1P2.

When I press play in the editor the vr mode is working i can see my demo on the dk2 but the fov(106.1888) and clipping is all wrong.
    Without vr mode enabled everything looks correct. Is there something I can do/change? The old way by importing the oculus package always worked for me.

Thanks!

Edit: When you add the camera as a child object to a gameobject you get this behaviour.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  42. HugoTremblay

HugoTremblay

I lose shadows when running in VR mode. Anyone has a clue?

Edit: Found why. When putting the main camera as a child of an empty scaled up GameObject, you lose the shadows in VR mode.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  43. cYndroid

cYndroid

If I set up a new test scene, enable vr, instead of getting stereo I get a squashed mono render :/
    error message:

[CAPI] LibOVR module is located at C:\Windows\system32\LibOVRRT64_0_6.dll

OVR Error:
    OVRTime: 33632.857117
    Time: 2015-06-28 09:23:48 [813:440:400]
    Code: -1006 -- ovrError_ServiceError
    Description: SubmitLayers failed
    Context: SubmitLayers failed
    File/Line: SubmitLayers failed:0

Oculus DK 2
    Unity 5.1.1p2

44. scottb9239

scottb9239

Tried running the default Skybox scene mentioned at the top post using Unity 5.1.1.P2 and on Gear VR, made a new project, enabling Virtual Reality Supported and copied my Oculus sig file (which I've used for ages with no problem) into the root assets folder, no Oculus plugins installed (fresh scene).

I then do Build and Run and always get "Thread Priority Security Exception - Make Sure The APK Is Signed". Tried using my own created Keystore and still happens. Any ideas?

45. Tesch

Tesch

Patch 2 worked great me! Great job guys! Level loads almost immediately and runs at 75 fps+

My Config:
    MSI GS70 running Win 8.1, 16 gigs ram.
    GPU - Nvidia GForce GTX970 in High Performance Graphics mode.
    Oculus Runtime 0.6.0.1
    Nvidia Driver 350.12

46. Tesch

Tesch

Well that didn't last long. The Nvidia Driver stopped letting me select High Performance Graphics which forced me to update the driver to the latest one.....which is not compatible with the latest Oculus Runtime. Needless to say, I'm dead in the water again. I'm going to take a break and work on something else and maybe this will sort itself out in a week or two.

47. EdMartinez12389

EdMartinez12389

Halp me please! I was able to create VR apps using the Oculus Mobile SDK before. After the update either method (the other method being native Unity VR Support) gave the same error:

1)
    Win32Exception: ApplicationName='C:/Users/Edward/AppData/Local/Android/sdk\tools\aapt.exe', CommandLine='package --auto-add-overlay -v -f -m -J gen -M AndroidManifest.xml -S "res" -I "C:/Users/Edward/AppData/Local/Android/sdk\platforms\android-22\android.jar" -F bin/resources.ap_', CurrentDirectory='Temp/StagingArea'
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_noshell (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start_common (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo startInfo, System.Diagnostics.Process process)
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start ()
    (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Diagnostics.Process:Start ()
    UnityEditor.Utils.Program.Start () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Utils/Program.cs:33)
    UnityEditor.Android.Command.Run (System.Diagnostics.ProcessStartInfo psi, UnityEditor.Android.WaitingForProcessToExit waitingForProcessToExit, System.String errorMsg)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.Exec (System.String command, System.String args, System.String workingdir, System.String[] progress_strings, Single progress_value, System.String errorMsg)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.CompileResources (System.String stagingArea, System.String packageName, UnityEditor.Android.AndroidLibraries androidLibraries)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcessInternal (BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options)
    UnityEditor.Android.PostProcessAndroidPlayer.PostProcess (BuildTarget target, System.String stagingAreaData, System.String stagingArea, System.String playerPackage, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, BuildOptions options)
    UnityEditor.Android.AndroidBuildPostprocessor.PostProcess (BuildPostProcessArgs args)
    UnityEditor.PostprocessBuildPlayer.Postprocess (BuildTarget target, System.String installPath, System.String companyName, System.String productName, Int32 width, Int32 height, System.String downloadWebplayerUrl, System.String manualDownloadWebplayerUrl, BuildOptions options, UnityEditor.RuntimeClassRegistry usedClassRegistry) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/BuildPipeline/PostprocessBuildPlayer.cs:316)
    UnityEditor.HostView:OnGUI()

2) Error building Player: Win32Exception: ApplicationName='C:/Users/Edward/AppData/Local/Android/sdk\tools\aapt.exe', CommandLine='package --auto-add-overlay -v -f -m -J gen -M AndroidManifest.xml -S "res" -I "C:/Users/Edward/AppData/Local/Android/sdk\platforms\android-22\android.jar" -F bin/resources.ap_', CurrentDirectory='Temp/StagingArea'

//

Does anyone have any ideas?

48. noemis

noemis

Today I got the Samsung Gear and I would like to test the unity vr integration, but I have the same problem as scottb9239:

Samsung S6 says after start with gear: "Thread Priority Security Exception - Make Sure The APK Is Signed".

The setup: New 3D project using Unity 5.1.1.P2 and Gear VR, enable Virtual Reality Support and the Oculus sig file is in the assett folder. Any ideas? Are there more people with this problems?

49. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

@scottb9239 You said you have the signature file in the "root assets folder", it should be in the Assets/Plugins/Android/assets folder just like it was with the Oculus Legacy Plugin.

@noemis Is the signature file not located in this folder for you as well?

noemis likes this.
  50. scottb9239

scottb9239

Hi Ed, I will double check but I believe I put it in the normal Plugins/Android/assets folder as well, will check and get back to you. Thanks.