Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 pre-order beta now available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by SaraCecilia, Oct 27, 2014.

1. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

Ya it's weird the only project data that Unity 5 can make/import or retain in project is FOLDERS! Absolutely nothing imports is created, or compiles. Really weird.

2. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

I'll just over to Windows 10 under Bootcamp and see if Unity 5 is behaving under Win10 64bit

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Just seems totally broken - please use bug report tool in unity, as updates are so frequent, it will be fixed quickly. But reports are needed :)

4. VIC20

VIC20

Actually the right word is it hangs forever (not crashes) so bug reporter does not popup. I'll try to install it on a fresh system.

5. orb

orb

You don't need to wait for it to tell you to report things, you know. Just start the bug reporter separately. It's its own standalone app. I have to run it manually for most of my bug reports, because they're all rather peculiar :)

6. Aurecon_Unity

Aurecon_Unity

Any chance Unity will release some of the example scenes / assets shown in the new movies? It would be good to play with some decent quality assets to really get a feel for the new systems.

7. orb

orb

They've mentioned they're going to have example/quickstart projects right there in the launcher, so we'll just have to wait. Preferably not long :)

An example of how to use the new lighting would be very nice. It seems a lot of people have problems getting good results there.

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

i think that would take some time..well that depend if the asset are from unity or from third party assets store......

9. toxtronyx

toxtronyx

Sorry for bothering you guys again but I am really relying on that.

10. prg1

prg1

ReferenceResolution and PhysicalResolution is not available in unity 5? you just had fixed its in unity4.6 b21,
    i have other problem now unity5 show me errors when i use for example animation.Play() it force me to do getComponent<Animation>().Play ,and i dont have shadow

11. GregMeach

GregMeach

I'm running a mid-2011 27" iMac w/10.10 (clean install) and Unity 5b9 imports packages both from Finder and the store. Even get this awesome warning box:

Attached Files:

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm actually wondering where Unity are at with Enlighten? I submitted some bug reports on it's speed. Also it doesn't seem to really add anything to the table bar some more even light distribution and orange in some cases.

I don't remember it being like this in the past (2012 - 2013 ish), when we compare to Unreals photon mapping setup. It'll bake a small scene in minutes with quite an impact, not hours (RAM permitting of course)...

13. Roni92

Roni92

Simple question about very old and serious Physx bug: mesh colliders doesn't receive OnTriggerExit and OnTriggerEnter events properly when they're trigger. This bug is very hard to workaround and currently stopping my project because of just this. It has been for more than 2 years, and there are MANY topics on this bug in the forum, also Unity team knows about this bug.
    Can anybody says if this is fixed in 5.0b ?

Arkade likes this.
  14. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

15. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

I've had no issues with Yosemite running various Unity projects in beta 10 - though this is with macbook pro and last gen mac pro, have you tried reinstalling Unity from scratch / deleting Library / Temp folders (having backed up first) of your project?

16. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Yes! the project shown in the videos is a work in progress (hence some missing parts you'll likely have spotted, like the bulkhead doors), of a project called Unity Labs - a larger environment that comes with a character we are working on right now and plan to ship for you all to pick apart.

17. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

In a word, yes. But let me clarify - Physx3 that 5 implements has dropped support for concave mesh triggers, BUT you can have triggers with Convex meshes. Basically triggers with the 'Convex' checkbox checked on the mesh will work. Hope that helps!

18. yant

yant

Unity Technologies

What Will said. With PhysX 3 moving away from supporting triggers and dynamic shapes with non-convex shapes, we had to remove support for triggers, dynamic colliders (GO with non-kinematic Rigidbody component), and terrain colliders (since terrain surface does not represent a closed convex shape).

With concave mesh triggers no longer supported in PhysX3, we've spent time to address the known long standing trigger issues that affected the convex meshes. We're not aware of any new cases currently, so please give it a try once you get your hands on Unity 5.

Moving from concave meshes to convex meshes has other added benefits besides better trigger behaviour. Improved performance is the one devs might be interested in most.

-Anthony

19. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Indeed I'm most, above all, for all aspects of Unity, interested in speed. For me, speed gives me more graphics, more gameplay :)

shkar-noori likes this.
  20. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

It be intresting to see if there is performance increases in mobile devices?, not seen much keynotes/information specific to mobile performance.

21. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

- I'm fairly sure metal will help with cpu on apple mobiles.
    - confident physx 3x will provide a boost but only if vita/mobiles are threaded really, else I'm not sure!
    - shadows might be a tiny bit quicker
    - transforms, and little micro optimisations?

Ultimately you still need to be good with optimisations - ie allocations at runtime, gc... but I'm only guessing at this point.

future: IL2CPP could add a boost

MrEsquire likes this.
  22. Roni92

Roni92

Yes, I forgotten to add, it's convex mesh collider problem, so yes this definitely helps, my project is rescued now, thank you! :)

23. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

is it possible to use enlighten data for specular/reflection occlusion?

shkar-noori likes this.
  24. sluice

sluice

• How to have the lowest file size as possible? Currently my WebGL builds are huge compared to the WebPlayer or Flash
    • How to use bundle asset and stream them efficiently? How to stream a scene ( I seem to have a trouble doing this, only on WebGL..)
    • What is 100% / partly / not yet / will never be / supported (a more exhaustive list than this one? http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/04/29/on-the-future-of-web-publishing-in-unity/)
    • Debugging tips
    • Workflow tips (build kinda take forever at the moment, @RalphH gave good tip: check dev. mode, strip ByteCode, etc.)

Obviously there isn't much info out yet on Unity WebGL platform and a lot has to be figure out by fiddling around (which is not necesserly a bad thing) but any help, as in more info, won't hurt! :)

25. Tomza

Tomza

Why am I going into Play Mode so slowly? When I click Play, I wait 35 min or more. Unity 5.0 behaves in a similar way as Unity 4.6 on my Windows 8.1 64 bit. Any ideas?

26. SteveJ

SteveJ

Would it be fair to assume that release might be not long after that then?

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It depends on how things go, but the public beta only just became available, and the 13th is only a couple of weeks from now, so probably not.

@Tomza: it depends on what your code is doing; it sounds like something extremely unoptimized like attempting to instantiate millions of objects.

--Eric

28. SteveJ

SteveJ

Good points.

For the first time ever I'm considering working production on the beta. Need to give it some thought.

29. Tomza

Tomza

It's true my project is big - 80 GB but there's no such a problem on my old Windows 7 32 bit, only on a new Windows 8.1 64 bit. So it can't be a problem of my code. I re-imported the assets a few times and nothing has been changed. How I can find the source of that problem? Profiler doesn't work when I click Play Mode. It starts when I am in Play mode.

30. Geevz

Geevz

31. VIC20

VIC20

After installing a fresh test system without migrating from an old one it worked fine on my system (Yosemite). So I've wiped my main HD and reinstalled my whole system from the scratch, last thing was the Unity5 beta. First attempts to open or create a project all failed, but I could quickly isolate the problem: it is the network filter "Little Snitch" - when it is turned on (and no rule is set, which means manually deny or allow each network access) then Unity5 always hangs, and when it is turned off it always works fine.

Seems it does not like to wait when it tries to connect to "IP-Adresse 23.62.61.18 Reverse DNS Name a23-62-61-18.deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com" - When you allow Unity "all connections until quit" it works fine while the filter is turned on.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  32. ZTORION

ZTORION

Uhh I am really missing Resources.LoadAsync and Terrain.collectDetailPatches = false

33. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

@willgoldstone It appears to be associated with using a exFAT as the target file system for th eproject in Unity 5.0.0b9. I'm making a Support post with logs.

34. Pix10

Pix10

Does anyone know if Metal changes the PowerVR preference for alpha test (cutout) over blended alpha?

35. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

It doesn't. Metal is all about CPU-side things. It does not change the GPU architecture or how the GPU works.

shkar-noori likes this.
  36. Pix10

Pix10

That's a shame, but hey ho. Thanks Aras.

37. Metron

Metron

What is the reason for preorder customers not getting the latest beta version?

elbows, Fuzzy and MrEsquire like this.
  38. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

What do you mean?

39. Mauri

Mauri

I think he means the "Pre-order customers have access to Beta 9, while Beta 11 is already available in Closed Beta" thing.

Metron likes this.
  40. Metron

Metron

What Mauri said. Being myself in business since almost 20 years, I don't see a valid reason to hold back 2 versions from beta testers (especially if the answer to some questions is "this is different in b10" or "already solved in b11").

So, my question: why?

MrEsquire likes this.
  41. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

I guess the frustrating part about this is how much work and time it takes to reproduce, encapsulate, and report a bug, and not know if the bug your reporting has already been fixed. Since my time is precious to me, I'd rather not take a chance on reporting a bug on something two versions behind.

Fuzzy and Metron like this.
  42. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Infrastructure. We still haven't smoothed out the process of publishing release notes & precaching the builds to CDN. So publishing each build right now is quite a bit of manual work. Working on making it more smooth & hence with much less delay.

43. orb

orb

I've had crashes and issues with beta 9, but knowing there is a beta 11+ I've not bothered to report these.

44. Metron

Metron

Given that you actually have the beta (b10+b11), you also have some sort of release notes. It can not (and should not) be hard to slap together a version to hand out to those who pre-ordered. You surely don't make a version per beta tester...

So, to me, this is no valid reason... if you don't have the time to provide the latest beta to pre-orders, drop the pre-order beta because you surely haven't the time to filter out the bug reports in regards to b9 which are doubles to already fixed bugs.

I'm sorry, if this sounds harsh, but it's about perception...

45. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

@Aras there is a bug in Unity x32 bit on Windows x32 version, when i create any type of primitive with the new shader, it gives unexpected results, I think its because that the x64 version of the shader compiler is ran instead of the x32 version, 644520 is the case number

46. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I agree with some of your words, but I think some of the more active unity staff on the forums cannot do much to correct such issues and I think someone highter up making decisions..a promise has been made to unity 5 customers thay they get a pre beta and unity has to stick to there word...this solves one issue...

In terms of release notes its a shame one has to use google each time, but lets be fair to Aras his only one who has officially posted changelog notes here on the forums so credit for that, probably not had time to collect latest,maybe some more insight is needed on future beta testing, after Unity 5 final maybe Unity think new plan

47. Metron

Metron

Don't get me wrong... I'm not attacking Aras nor am I trying to tell him it's his fault. It was meant as a general comment to Unity as a company.

Aras is one of the most active developers here on the forum which is very much appreciated!

MrEsquire, djweinbaum and shkar-noori like this.
  48. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

49. Metron

Metron

50. elbows

elbows

Thanks to everyone at Unity who dealt swiftly with our gripes about not having access to beta 11. When Unity is very responsive like this, it makes me very positive about the product, the future and spending more of my money on this lovely stuff :)

Metron likes this.