Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5.0 pre-order beta now available

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by SaraCecilia, Oct 27, 2014.

1. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  2. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

SaraCecilia likes this.
  3. elbows

elbows

Excellent stuff, plenty to get my teeth into today then, cheers :)

4. orb

orb

Sent my first bug report before even starting to use it :p

Fortunately it was just the store, which never seems to work quite right. Everything else I've seen so far is very nice. Pressing play now actually plays almost immediately! I've had amazingly long waits before a scene starts even in small projects before.

5. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Awesome. Like probably a few more people I am already using it since someone found the working page yesterday. And so far I love it.

Now that the new learning site is live as well I also know what I'll be doing today :)

Thanks a lot, Unity. I'm really looking forward to working with this. :)

Will there be a Unity5 Beta forum for all the preorderers now as well?
    Also will you release a Unity5 Sample Assets pack in the near future?

6. eskovas

eskovas

Awesome :)
    I'm going to try to contain myself and hold on until next patch or so, so that the most important initial bugs that people find will be fixed by then.
    Right now i don't really need Unity 5, so i can wait a bit.

After that i'll be all over Unity 5 Beta :D
    Congrats on release :)

7. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Just a heads up regarding the learning material - it's been done with beta 10, though pre-order beta shipped with beta 9, we just wanted to future proof a little way forward, so if you see some settings named differently, don't panic.

infinitypbr likes this.
  8. giyomu

giyomu

Oh just wanted to ask about the match between close and pre order beta number , does the pre-order beta will match also the one released from close beta ?

9. orb

orb

What are the plans for betas now? Will you try to release them weekly, or will they all go through QA first and take whatever time it takes?

10. WendelinReich

WendelinReich

Awesome!

Can I install the Unity 5 beta side-by-side with 4.5.5, or will I have to uninstall 5 and reinstall 4.5.5 if I happen to encounter problems on my current project?

11. orb

orb

You can always install as many Unity versions as you want. Just search the forums for the numerous threads explaining the process :)

12. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

I'm fairly blown away. I just copied a version of my massive project for the beta, and I was expecting a lot more stuff to break. All of my game logic and most of my editor extensions are working fine. Pretty much everything I made in shader forge is broken but I expected that. The new shadow filtering is amazing. AMAZING. I can finally say goodbye to shadow softener. There's so much stuff here that you guys didn't even mention. My game seems to run about 20 fps better now (though I should note that some of that is because many of my shaders are broken). And a full set of highly polished video tutorials on first day is appreciated and highly praiseworthy. Its a beta release for Pete's sake! You guys are on the ball.

shkar-noori and Josh-Naylor like this.
  13. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

As Will mentions, pre-order is beta 9, which gave it some time to publish and assess stability. In general, closed beta should regularly be ahead of pre-order access to address these tasks.

14. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

so when do beta10 made public??

15. elpuerco63

elpuerco63

I'm confused....there is a 4.6 beta and now a 5 beta? Are they both active? How long before 5 goes live, I'm still trying to learn with version 4.5.5 so not sure which i should download?

16. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

The 5.0 beta is for pre-order customers and Unity Pro subscribers, so if you fall under one of those categories you can go ahead and download the 5.0 beta :)

17. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I was wondering why the Lighting tutorial had a tab I couldn't find in my copy. Hope we get the next beta version soon.

18. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Correct. 4.6 adds the anticipated UI system to the 4.x line of Unity. 5.0 is everything else that's been discussed (and of course UI) and a much bigger set of changes and features.

If you're learning Unity, the general fundamentals should remain the same regardless of version, and we are always striving to making things easier to use. So, your learning should transfer well. It would be the new features of 5.0 you'd be missing in staying with 4.5.5. However, as with any beta there is always the risk of stability issues as it's still a work in progress.

As projects go, 4.5.5 projects should shift to 4.6 easily. 4.5.5 to 5.0 may require some extra work to get properly running, but we trying our best to minimize that pain for you.

elpuerco63 likes this.
  19. Stereoarts-Nora

Stereoarts-Nora

Thanks to your public Unity 5 Pre-order Beta!
    I'm trying to make some assets/projects in Unity 5 Pre-order Beta, and there are a few questions.
    - Can I upload about any Unity 5 Pre-order Beta screen-shot in public? (SNS, Blog, and other.)
    - Can I upload asset(.unitypackage) for Unity 5 Pre-order Beta in public? (Github, Website, and other.)
    - Can I upload executable build use by Unity 5 Pre-order Beta in public?
    Regards,

20. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes, but if it would be about some serious issues, then we'd ask you to report these as bugs, instead of blogging about them :) There's a reason it has a "beta" label afterall.
    Yes, but no guarantees that they will work in final 5.0 version. They may, or they might not.
    Yes.

21. Tomza

Tomza

I had a problem with msvcr110.dll (I use Windows 8.1 64 bit) and Unity 5.0 didn't want to start. However, I installed Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable and now Unity 5.0 runs well.

22. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Scratch that. Shader Forge shaders work fine except SSAO in deferred mode seems to be showing even on culled objects.

I'm curious, will 4.6 b21 changes be merged into 5.0 b10? I'm missing some new UI components from 4.6 b21.

23. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

File a bug report please!

24. Velo222

Velo222

Really cool! Thanks guys. I downloaded it yesterday and the graphics improvement is immediately noticeable. My textures and terrain look more crisp and less "pixelated" than previous versions of Unity.

Keep up the good work Unity team! And keep on trying to make Unity the best engine out there :)

25. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Since its only an issue with Shader Forge shaders who are in deferred prepass mode I'd wager the issue is not with Unity, but rather SF not yet complying with the new deferred mode (yet its curious switching to legacy mode doesn't fix it)

26. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Very excited! One question: Will new Unity Pro customers also get access to the pre-order beta? My Pro trial expires in a few days. Thanks!

27. SaraCecilia

SaraCecilia

You can pre-order Unity 5 or subscribe today to get access to the pre-order beta. The pre-order discount for Unity 5 ends Thursday, November 13, 2014, 13:00 CET.

28. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Great! Thank you for the quick answer!

SaraCecilia likes this.
  29. toxtronyx

toxtronyx

Thanks for the Beta. One question at first: Are there already changes in terms of streaming? I am still facing performance problems and stops when a new scene is loaded.

30. pauloaguiar

pauloaguiar

Sad is not public beta. But i see some few positive preview from users testing the beta., not counting the bugs:)

31. _neobine

_neobine

Is there an up to date feature list for the what the current beta contains vs all features listed for 5.0 somewhere? I'm thinking of the new networking specifically...

32. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

New networking will not be part of 5.0, but a later 5.x release.

33. contempt

contempt

So no access for 4.xx Pro non-subscribers? I'm planning on upgrading all my licenses to 5 but I'd hoped to try 5 out with my current projects.

34. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I'm guessing that there will eventually be a 30-day Pro Trial available, just as there has been with 3.x and 4.x, but no, not yet.

35. Dreamzle

Dreamzle

36. contempt

contempt

Only problem is if I wait for the 30-day trial I lose my $600 per license pre-order upgrade price. I have Pro, iOS Pro, and Android Pro, not cheap.

37. sluice

sluice

38. Dev_Sebas

Dev_Sebas

Hi
    Unity 5 seems really awesome!
    I just would like to know if there´s any sample scenes coming. Will they be available later?
    It would be nice to learn more!

39. PolyVector

PolyVector

Looks like the shader compiler changes (custompack0 stuff) break Sunshine for me, and probably Shadow Softener too. @Aras, are there any plans to ever expose Shadowmaps/matrices so that shadow packages like mine can stop being so hackishly difficult for users to integrate?

It would be so wonderful if we could hook into the existing shadowmaps for volumetric lighting or tweaking the filtering without having to shoehorn an entirely external shadowmaps system.

Edit: OoOo! I just noticed the "Shadow-ScreenBlur.shader" and "Shadow-ScreenBlurRotated.shader" included with the built-in shaders... If we're allowed to replace these in a project, that kinda solves 1/2 of my issues! *experiments*... screen-space is very limiting in terms of shadow filtering, but this is a step in the right direction. :)

40. J_P_

J_P_

Is there a list of known bugs?

41. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Can you file a bug with details? (I don't even know what Sunshine is...)
    Plans, yes. Whether they will materialize in time for 5.0, is another question :)

42. PolyVector

PolyVector

Sunshine is just my asset for adding volumetric lighting, but it has an entirely separate shadowmap system since it can't read built-in data. It's not a bug, Sunshine just relies on predictable naming by shaderlab ".cust_whatever"... The new packing seems like a smart move, it just means I'll have to come up with new hacks.

Argh.

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

I don't have a unity 5 beta key on my Account page - Just my 3&4 pro license keys. Is there somewhere else I can get this?

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

if you purchased 5, the same key should just work afaik since unity is account locked backward compatible. So buying 5 allows you to use 4 and 3 etc... therefore you would not get a new key.

ie. download 5, install it, try it out.

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

I saw the "Unity 4 pro subscribers", and didn't realize that it didn't mean me (because I bought a license outright instead of subscribing). Solved it by buying the preorder. :)

46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Subscribers are pre-order category as well for Unity 5. Glad you solved it. I assume you mean upgrade/preorder of course and not a totally new license as it should be around half the price AFAIK.

47. VIC20

VIC20

I can't find anything about the hardware requirements.

Registering worked fine but Unity 5 always crashes on my machine when it tries to create an empty project.
    Mac mini 2011, 16GB RAM, Radeon HD 6630M, OS X 10.9.5 - I guess that it should work on this system?

48. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'll pass your case on - seems odd, it should work. Meanwhile contact support please / file a bug if the requester pops up at all.

49. BrotenStudios

BrotenStudios

I'm on an iMAC 27" with OS X 10.10 and Unity 5 can't import or load any data into projects. Think something terribly wrong with accessing the file system on OS X 10.10

50. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

OK please report these issues. It really should be working with OS X 10