Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Unlike 3.5 Unity 4 is a paid upgrade so the beta is only available to people who buy a Unity 4 license.

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Unless you bought the 4.0 Edu version. Then you don't get the beta.

3. janpec

janpec

Unite 2012 - collision detection on particles!!!!!!! It looks completly amazing. And we get that before UDK users :p

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

While that's true, won't there also be a free Indie license for 4?

(Not that that necessarily matters - just saying, it's not like a person won't be able to use 4.0 without buying something)

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yes, there will of course be a Unity free version of Unity 4 when the final version is released, just no beta access.

6. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

Thanks Eric,
    That makes sense, I 'll try to build on that.

Don Gray : No, I have not received any refund. Or answer. When I asked some questions regarding preorder, the response from the sales was prompt. When I asked twice about refund, in a month, I got no response.
    I understand that devs are busy with Unite but sales department isn't ( or it is ?).

[EDIT]
    Answers and refund granted - thanks :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  7. mulova

mulova

Unite2012 is so impressive.
    Keynote contains SSS (SkinDiffusionRenderer) and Hair renderer.
    I'm currently using Unity4 beta but can't find them.
    Are they included in Official Unity 4 release or where can I get them?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  8. goldbug

goldbug

From the release notes, there are 2 things I am particularly interested on:

* Meshes can have a non-triangle topology now. You can create meshes that are lines, points or quads from scripts. See MeshTopology enum, Mesh.GetIndices, SetIndices, GetTopology.

Does that mean that drawing a cube can now be done with 6 quads instead of 12 triangles? Does this work on mobile? Would it save memory? Where is the documentation?

* Graphics: Added "Read/Write Enabled" checkbox to Model Import Settings. Disabling this will reduce memory footprint of meshes.

If I understand it right, meshes are currently kept in main memory and copied over to video memory. If I disable this option, then once copied into video memory, it is discarded from main memory, similar to textures. Is this correct? Does it work on mobile?

9. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, yes, yes, and the documentation is on your hard drive in your Unity install under "MeshTopology" and "Mesh.SetIndices".

--Eric

10. goldbug

goldbug

Exactly what I wanted to hear :)

This will really help me. Here is an example of terrain I am currently generating:

Quads fit this like a glove.
    This means that I can reduce the polygon count exactly by half. This is HUGE.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  11. Morning

Morning

I don't think you actually can. A quad still consists of two triangles, just from what I assume it will do the triangulation for you. Unless unity is doing some voodoo magic here.

12. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It depends on the drivers/hardware what happens in the end exactly; Unity just says "go draw these quads". But regardless, it's still the case that the index array size for a bunch of cubes when using quads will be 2/3 the size of what it would be when using triangles, so if you have huge meshes that's a reasonable savings.

--Eric

13. goldbug

goldbug

What about the second part? What happens when I disable read/write on the meshes? Does this apply for meshes generated at run time?

14. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

According to the docs for Mesh.isReadable: "Returns state of the Read/Write Enabled checkbox when model was imported. For a dynamic Mesh created from script, always returns true."

--Eric

15. Dreamora

Dreamora

You can not disable it at runtime, even less for meshes you generate at runtime to which you must be able to write or they are useless.
    It is like the Read Write flag on the textures a pure import setting.

The same stuff applies to it as it does on textures: if it is read / write enabled, it will have a RAM clone which you can access from scripting and get it updated in VRAM afterwards. If its not write / read enabled, there will be no RAM clone and no access to it outside of shaders

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  16. goldbug

goldbug

Ok, thank you. I am downloading the beta now, I will report back the results if anyone is interested

17. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Well, not quite; Texture2D.Apply has the "makeNoLongerReadable" boolean.

--Eric

18. goldbug

goldbug

hmmm, how to install 3.5.6 and 4.0 beta side by side on my mac?

19. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Rename the 3.5 folder to "Unity 3.5" or similar.

--Eric

20. goldbug

goldbug

From the documentation of Texture2d.Apply:
    You can create a texture at run time, and then use the apply function and pass makeNoLongerReadable = true. Supposedly, the texture is moved to VRAM and deleted from main memory. It makes perfect sense to do this both at run time and compile time.

I was hopping I could do the same thing with Meshes. Where once I am done creating them, I can make them no longer readable, so they are discarded from main memory and kept only in VRAM.

BTW, I tried my project with Unity 4 beta, and for some reason NGUI does not seem to be taking any input and I cannot turn my FPSInputController. It seems mouse input changed?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  21. kramcomposer

kramcomposer

any of you guys notice an improvement to eather the Phsyics CPU usage, or Rendering CPU Usage and GPU?

22. cynel

cynel

well 4.0 is open beta now

23. Muniif10

Muniif10

i have problem like when first time i open it said "could not read license loader .html