Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4 Details

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by MattCarr, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Morning

Morning

Okay that's nice to know. For a second there I was worried it would be like some other apps do where something you never use wants you to use it.

2. kenlem

kenlem

Wait... can I run iOS Basic with Unity Free?

3. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Yup...it's been that way forever :D

4. kenlem

kenlem

Phew... I'm not see that combination as upgrading pricing but I'll figure it out.

5. Tseng

Tseng

No. But 2-3 months ago, there was a give away of Android/iOS Basic licenses - and back then I said, that they will probably going to change to version 4.0 and that this was the reason of the give away, to get enough people who get the free license and then "lure" them into upgrading to 4.0.

Though I'd have guessed they'd announce Unity 4.0 after 3.6 with the new GUI and this makes me kind of mad, because it was announced for almost a year that the GUI system will get a major rehaul

6. pivotraze

pivotraze

And even in 4.0, the GUI overhaul isn't coming xD At least from how they worded it. Just faster.... not better.

7. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

*sadface*

Oh well, that animation thing still looks pretty sweet :D

8. pivotraze

pivotraze

Yees it does, mah friend, yes it does :p

9. Mikie

Mikie

Will there be a free version of Unity 4 in August?

10. pivotraze

pivotraze

No doubt. What features we will get of the new Unity 4 is where I'm scared lol

11. Mikie

Mikie

The character animation feature would be nice.

12. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Yeah, good point. That should be interesting to see...

13. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Okay can you make it so iosPro upgrade/downgrade to iosBasic unity4 is in fact 250 rather than 400.

14. pivotraze

pivotraze

I'm PMed an Admin, as they don't seem to respond to that question here, and I'm waiting for a response still lol

15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Man, I can't wait to get my hands on this... I wonder of there are improvements to the physics, especially cloth which is a pain to setup...especially when I want collisions on the actual shape of the model...

EDIT: Also with the new animation tools, I am certain i can share animations alot easier this time without my models distorting

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  16. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

What will be the version of Mono? ( We ask specifically regarding the slow gc in 2.6 causing cpu spikes ).

Any changes to the threading model?

Any changes to the terrain system?

Looking forward to reading the release notes to see what long-standing bugs have been fixed. Maybe we can start reusing terrain trees if the billboards have started updating when dynamic ambient light changes (e.g. day-night cycle) or the api allows us to manually force redraw.

Has the hardware cursor project graduated out of ninjacamp and made an appearance in 4.0?

Have other navigation graphs been added or is it still only navmesh which limits the type of games it can be used on?

Performance and memory optimizations always welcomed, maybe a few nice optional effects from DX11, but the rest it's unlikely we'll be using (much like 3.5). Although we'd upgrade just to get hardware cursors and better gc, given what little else we'll use, $850 upgrade for early pre-order seems OTT. Hopefully enough people will object here to prompt a rethink.

17. kenlem

kenlem

What I really want is Unity Free with iOS Pro but that isn't going to happen.

18. wccrawford

wccrawford

$1500 if you don't have 3.x Pro. $850 if you already have 3.x Pro.

19. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

What bothers me is how many core systems (UI, Terrain) are neglected, with minimal communication.

20. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

We want 64 bit!!!

21. pivotraze

pivotraze

Definitely agreed >.<

22. SevenBits

SevenBits

I would imagine so. That model has worked for them for quite some time, and I don't expect them to abandon it at all. Realistically, if they did, lots of Unity Free users would either stay at the newly outdated Unity 3.5 or switch to another game engine.

23. pivotraze

pivotraze

I'd probably switch, out of spite lol

24. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I just wish the main page worked already....

25. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Well, probably at least a good 60% of all Unity devs are free users...alienating that manu users? Not Unity's usual policy. I'm not worried :D

26. Morning

Morning

You'd expect they would take greater care of something as important as UI engine. Since 4 is another major release you expect major features. UI + Animation + DX11 would make this a great release. Though if you pre-order you get $200 store credit that you can use to buy UI library.

27. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

The $850 price is for the 3.5 pro -> 4.0 pro upgrade. You sure you have a 3.5 pro license associated with the account you signed in with? If not, you can add your pro license key to your account at the top of the page.

28. Tseng

Tseng

There is no real benefit from 64 bit. They should actually fix the stuff where it's really needed: New GUI system for 3.x, even better multi-threading etc.

29. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Honestly, I'm more disappointed than I am excited for this release. I do understand that features get pushed back sometimes and the company needs to keep income flowing, but it's unfortunate that the new GUI system couldn't even make it into 4.0 when it was hyped for being a 3.x feature. The Mecanim animation system does look sweet, but is not enough for me to justify the hefty upgrade price. The $200 voucher on a future purchase does nothing to sway me, as it would be useless to me. I would drain my bank account on the upgrade and wouldn't be able to afford anything else for some time. With Flash export at the same price point as the mobile platforms "Build once, deploy anywhere" is getting pricey. Maybe I'll be back on board when 5.0 rolls around.

I just hope the Asset Store doesn't break for 3.x when 4.0 comes out, especially for folks selling stuff.

30. n0mad

n0mad

Ok now, seriously guys, I mean like real seriousness : that GUI overhaul that was announced for 3.x and that we've been teased with for more than a year ... are you REALLY postponing it to 4.0 ... ?

31. andorov

andorov

Yes, I'm sure. It shows my 3.x license to the left in all its glory. I'm signed in.

EDIT: Apparently the license shown was my Unity Indie license, but not my Pro license. FIX'D.

32. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

I agree, a new GUI system would be completely awesome, considering how bad the current one is, but they've already ruled that out :(. 64 bit (for those of us with 64 bit systems) would be great though, because it would mean that we're actually able to use all of that extra RAM sitting around doing nothing...

33. pivotraze

pivotraze

Beyond 4.0. The 4.0 GUI is faster... but is still the same old UnityGUI. From what I understand. Which makes me pissed.

My Unity RAM Usage has never gone beyond 200mb, I don't see it getting NEAR 4GB

34. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

35. Amon

Amon

So you give away iOS and Android Licenses in a madness freeby thing all the while knowing that we'll basically have to pay more to migrate the licenses over to Unity 4.0 if we upgrade?

If I upgrade to Unity 4.0 I will have to upgrade iOS and Android licenses to Unity 4.0?? If not my licenses for iOS and Android will be void after the upgrade?

Jog!

36. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Yeah...I was really looking forward to better GUI. Considering how the current GUI almost had me disqualified from the Unity Awards from the sheer amount of time it took to implement it...not happy :(

37. pivotraze

pivotraze

Do free users not get Unity 4? (BTW, I'm not comparing Pro. I clicked "Read More" under Unity Free

38. AngryBear+^

AngryBear+^

Can we get any information on why you have to upgrade all your licenses at once? I'm thinking about upgrading my Pro license, but tossing another 500 for iOS basic and Android basic upgrades is kinda out of the cards for right now, and I don't really want to lose those licenses, either.

Are they truly gone if I upgrade? Or just "inactive" until I decide to upgrade those licenses to 4.x? I'm a little confused (and I don't think I'm the only one) on how that all works...

39. kenlem

kenlem

Actually, I think there is a bit of a discount if you have those free versions when you upgrade. You got those licenses for free and you save money if you want to upgrade. I see that as a little bonus.

Of course, this is just too rich for my blood now and not having a new GUI system in 3 as promised is a bit off-putting.

40. Bantis

Bantis

I have to say - I'm pretty disappointed with the upgrade pricing. I'm not sure what I really expected, but I purchased Pro 10 months ago, and come August it'll be invalid (I realize not literally, but as Asset store content pushes forward, and the community as a whole moves on, you're left with something not nearly as useful or impactful). There's just a side of me that isn't thrilled about this because as an Indie, $1500 was a lot to stomach on top of other expenses and Asset Store purchases. And now a little less than a year later to have to throw down $850 is tough.

Ah well :/ I guess I was hoping more for $400-$500ish.

41. Fishypants

Fishypants

I might be jumping to conclusions here, and without a full feature list of whats been added / changed / fixed, this seems like a very lack luster release . . . ?

Sigh, I'm still using Unity 2.6, and will continue doing so until there's actually features worth upgrading for. (aka - A decent GUI system)

42. n0mad

n0mad

Let's not jump to conclusions about GUI not being in 3.x, as nothing has been confirmed. I just hope they realize it would be a severe hit in how we can trust the cheerings and teasing.

43. Dreamora

Dreamora

badly I've to say

2.x to 3 upgrade was $500 during preorder for pro, after preorder it was $750 for pro. For non pro, if I recall right, it was $100 in preorder, $150 after

and the $200 gift voucher for the asset store really doesn't cut it for me. I already invested a 4 figure amount of USD for the stuff I want, I don't have a use for $600 in vouchers at all

There will be no future 3.x release. 3.5.x was the latest, any further release will be focused on bug fixing. The clear lines on 4.0 being released shortly after beta start hints that out and the fact that you can't add features to 2 different code bases in parallel without massive overhead just makes it not reaonsable costwise.

44. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Wait, what? That has to be an error...

45. lmbarns

lmbarns

mobile Basic != free, only for people who got a copy during the giveaway :)

I'd be really butthurt if I paid $400 for android and it stopped working due to to lack of upgrading, as crappy as android is(fragmented market, 50mb limit, etc not unity's fault but a pain nonetheless).

nGUI......

46. pivotraze

pivotraze

It shows it under both the paid and free versions.

IMHO, this isn't much of a comparison at all.

I need to know Unity 3.5 basic vs Unity 4 Basic, NOT Unity 3.5 vs Unity 4.

And from the looks of the comparison page, it looks like NO ONE (not even 3.5 Pro users) will be able to use the dark skin unless they get Unity 4 Pro.

47. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

I concur. $500 would feel more appropriate for 3.5 pro -> 4.0 pro.

48. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Oh no, this is not the full list. Just the highlights.

49. n0mad

n0mad

That seems a realistic explanation to me. Well ... This is very bad news for general appreciation, if so.

50. metaphysician

metaphysician

aside from GUI revision frustration, i'm curious what if any updates are happening on the audio front. anyone know what's going on there? they have supposedly hired audio programmers.

also - i think the Meccanim animation could be useful for other things in Unity if there was a way to extend functionality within it by adding options. you could get it to something like uscript or playmaker.