Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 4.3 Crash on exit with 3dsmax

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by hpjohn, Nov 19, 2013.

1. hpjohn

hpjohn

Since installing 4.3, I cannot close the Unity editor without it locking up and going unresponsive
    if Unity has hooked into 3dsmax (either because I've saved a .max file into the assets, or by re-importing such an asset) I have to kill the 3dsmax*32 process (not my actual working instance, but this hidden one which Unity seems to use to import as fbx) to let Unity continue (also auto_quitter.exe*32)

This applies to closing, but also to creating a new project, or opening an existing one (common aspect being that it needs to close the current instance)

Is this a fault of something in Unity (I don't remember auto_quitter before) or my 3dmax installation

2. bravo075

bravo075

Same thing happens to me, I have to go to task bar in order to close Unity. This had not happened to me in previous versions 3.5+. I would also like to know if this is a known bug or just random cases.

3. cristims

cristims

Mine crashes on exit almost every time, regardless of background apps.

Again, this never happened until this version.

4. kondrup

kondrup

Same here. Unity crashes when I close the application -or rather it freezes and I have to kill it through the task manager.
    I almost always have 3ds max and Unity opened simultaneously but I don't know if that's what's causing the problem.

5. RSH1

RSH1

I'm also getting this crash whether 3ds is open or not. It also crashes when changing project. It seems to happen after Unity has been running for a while. I have to close it via Task Manager.

6. Peekay

Peekay

Also been getting this problem. For me it always occurs after importing a model from Maya 2014. Once the model is imported it will always stop responding on exit. After recovering from crash, I can re-opened Unity and close Unity normally as long as I don't import.

7. dsparil9b

dsparil9b

Same here, it crashes each time I exit and I don't even have 3Ds Max installed. It crashes even if its the only app running.

8. Mikie

Mikie

Try loading adb.exe manually.
    j:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\adb.exe devices
    Your path may be different.

9. thenullmind

thenullmind

Hey all, if you use Maya you will most likely have a service still running called Maya Application File, force close that and Unity will close itself.

10. Wacky-Moose

Wacky-Moose

Unity always crashes when i close the application. regardless of the apps i have running in the background. happens on 2 different PCs

11. Mikie

Mikie

Did you try my fix?

12. andyz

andyz

I have same issue (as detailed in other thread posted bug report).
    In windows open task manager and kill adb.exe and see if unity then closes or do as Mikie says. Hope on fix list... Unity?

13. Morco

Morco

Same problem here
    Since i started to use 3ds max 2012 x64, unity always crash on exit.
    And even more, it crashes when loading the .max file.
    I have to give it few tries before it gets right.

I hope for a fix soon.

14. Tethys

Tethys

Gratitude! Today was the first time I have seen this one. We get the bad adb.exe problem all the time but had already killed that and Unity was still hanging. I would not have known that the running Maya process was the problem had you not shared your info. Well done and GG!