Search Unity

Unity 3 Video Training Course (FREE) - Walker Boys

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by profcwalker, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Lee Jenkinson

Lee Jenkinson

hey guys, just found your tutorials and i was wondering, i am new to unity and doing this for an assignment in university, i was wondering if your tutorials will work with unity 4.3? please get back to me when you can, as i want to start soon

thank you

2. sfuseronin

sfuseronin

I am using 4.3 and having no problems except I cannot fold comments in monodevelop. Oh and making an explosion is different than in the video because unity uses a new particle system. There is a tutorial on it in Unity's live training section which i used to make my own explosion. Go to LIVE Training and number 9 is about The Particle System. or click here ( http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules/beginner/live-training-archive/particle-systems ) It will take some practice and maybe some more research to make a super nice explosion but atleast you can learn the particle system and get some practice and come up with something you can use that you made on your own to get you through the rest of the tutorial. Just my suggestion

3. ninjaguy369

ninjaguy369

Hey guys, I am currently doing the 2D Mario Tutorial and I was wondering if anybody could link me to their completed 2D Mario Project files. The first few tutorials I did were pretty easy but I am having a number of issues with the 2D Mario Tutorial and I want to directly compare the code that I have, to working code. I also tend to learn more when I have working code to look at myself. I would be greatly appreciative if anyone could help me out with that. Thanks.

4. digitaldebonaire

digitaldebonaire

Hey WBS the link for the 3D Mario project is down. I get, "File Not Found". Is there another place I could get that or could you fix the link? That would be awesome! Thanks guys

5. profcwalker

profcwalker

6. perceptic

perceptic

In case you didn't know, you can use the same particle system from Unity 3 by going Component -> Effects -> Legacy Particles -> Ellipsoid Particle Emitter :)

7. SHAD0WxWRAITH

SHAD0WxWRAITH

I tried this but it doesn't seem to work still.. maybe I'm missing something.

8. Kracknu7

Kracknu7

Hello, I'm new to Unity 4 and programming as a whole, so needless to say I am a complete beginner with no prior knowledge of any sort in programming.

I noticed that Unity 5 is coming out and/or is out, but I'm still trying to learn Unity 4.3. Should I update or it doesn't matter? I stumbled upon the walker boys video training course and would like start but am wondering, do I just start watching videos at my leisure or is there a specific approach to how to go about this?

Thank You,
    Kracknu7

9. LeBasilius

LeBasilius

Good day Prof. C.Walker! I've been following and studying your tutorials the past days. I've finished the exams until the Exam 3 (Unity Javascript Exam 1) and I can conclude that the video tutorials were great! Thank you so much for the great effort and a lot of time you've put unto it.

I am a completely a beginner and still a student, but I guess, from my searching, people tend to recommend C# more than Javascript. And since your tutorials were based on Javascript, I will stop the course now. I've decided to try C# and look for other great tutorial out there like yours. Can you recommend any though? Once again, thank you very much for the great tutorials Professor. ;)

10. Lee Jenkinson

Lee Jenkinson

hey mate would you upload 2d mario file please mate, doing it for uni project and would be so helpful, thanks

11. hapo92

hapo92

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  12. kabeer

kabeer

Thank you for this great resource which I am working my way through. I am currently stuck at Lab 2 2d Space shooter, I have checked many times over and over but can't find where my mistake is and so was wondering whether it is related to using newer version of unity. I have just used Instantiate to create bullets but whenever I press space they are all fixed at the centre of screen all of them irrelevant of where the player has moved, I have checked the script it seems fine, I have pasted below, I have also moved the prefab bullet and socketProjectile onto the prefab player:

#pragma strict
    // player script

// Inspector Variables
    var playerSpeedVertical : float =10.0; // speed of player along vertical
    var playerSpeedHorizontal : float =10.0; // speed of player along horizontal
    var horMin : float =-6.0; // limits for player in x axis minimum
    var horMax : float = 6.0; // max limit of player x axis
    var verMin : float =-4.0; // maxlimit of player y axis
    var verMax : float = 4.0; // min limit of player y axis
    var projectile : Transform;
    var socketProjectile : Transform;

// Private Variables

function Start () {

}
    // game loop
    function Update ()

{
    // store player based on input
    var transV: float = Input.GetAxis ("Vertical")*playerSpeedVertical*Time.deltaTime; // speed for vertical
    var transH: float = Input.GetAxis ("Horizontal")*playerSpeedHorizontal*Time.deltaTime; // speed for horizontal
    // move player based on input
    transform.Translate (transH,transV,0); // x to move left, right, y up and down

// when player position is "X" number then number =x
    transform.position.x = Mathf.Clamp(transform.position.x, horMin,horMax); // range limits in x for player
    transform.position.y = Mathf.Clamp(transform.position.y, verMin,verMax); // range limits in y for player

// create a bullet
    if (Input.GetKeyDown("space"))
    {
    Instantiate(projectile, socketProjectile.position, socketProjectile.rotation);
    //Instantiate (projectile, socketProjectile.position, socketProjectile.rotation);

}

}

Many thanks

Kabeer

13. kabeer

kabeer

Hi

Sorry ignore my last post problem solved, not entirely sure how but I think I had not clicked on apply changes to socketProjectile

thanks

Kabeer

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  14. RyanBeck

RyanBeck

Hi I am working on the 2D Mario project and have run into an issue on video part 16 - 3 . It has something to do with the switch statement but I have tried many of the possible solutions already posted here with no success.

The error I am getting is:

MissingFieldException: UnityEngine.MeshRenderer.Material
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.PropertyDispatcherFactory.FindExtension (IEnumerable`1 candidates)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.PropertyDispatcherFactory.Create (SetOrGet gos)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.PropertyDispatcherFactory.CreateSetter ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.DoCreatePropSetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Type type, System.String name, System.Object value)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.CreatePropSetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object value)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices+<SetProperty>c__AnonStorey19.<>m__F ()
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherCache.Get (Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherKey key, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.String cacheKeyName, System.Type[] cacheKeyTypes, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.GetDispatcher (System.Object target, System.Object[] args, System.String cacheKeyName, Boo.Lang.Runtime.DynamicDispatching.DispatcherFactory factory)
    Boo.Lang.Runtime.RuntimeServices.SetProperty (System.Object target, System.String name, System.Object value)
    blockBump.Update () (at Assets/2D Mario Assets/Scripts/blockBump.js:70)

if anyone has any clue about this I would love to know.

15. kabeer

kabeer

Hi

I have been through the projects and I am currently on 2D Mario. You can use particles in the new unity but need to go to legacy particle, and click on epilipoid particle, you will also need to add particle animator and particle rendering both of which are from the same menu. then you will need to go to material and click on default circle type, can't remember name,one gives you dark, the other white.

Also when I loaded mario 2d I could not see anything on screen and had error to do with image rendering. What I did was make new project, make sure you click 2D not 3d, then copy the mario 2d asset folder to this folder, so far it is working fine for me and I am on video 12/13.
    Hope this helps anyone in similar problems.

thanks

16. kabeer

kabeer

Hi

RyanBeck I have just gone past the video you are stuck at I believe without any problems, I am currently on part 16 - 4 block states 2. I have had similar problems in the past and it is usually because my script has an error, so I would recommend double checking your script, with switch you use : rather than semicolon, which is one of the mistakes I have made.

thanks

17. DexteruL

DexteruL

Hello everybody.
    I just started working on the labs , and almost at the finish of the 1st one , my scenes crapped out on me and i had to re-attach everything back together , the scripts and the scenes , and everything "looks" fine but it isn't because when i click the enemy`s nothing happens and i get the message saying "This is not an enemy" .. the breakdown happened when i was putting the scenes in "Build Settings".the scripts work since they worked before the breakdown ...

18. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi DexteruL,

Can you check on the tag name for the enemy and be sure it's still set. Thanks! Also, you can just email me at cwalker at walkerboystudio dot com. :)

Thanks!

19. DexteruL

DexteruL

hey , thanks for answering so fast , yes the tags are still there , when i found out the error after the build up , checking the tags was the first thing that i checked , i will email you in a few minutes my player and enemy scripts :)

20. Diaperbaby

Diaperbaby

21. T1Green

T1Green

Hello profcwalker co

I want to thank you for the tutorials you made. I loved them and learned to Javascript too while making 3 games. The videos were well done and explained in detail what needed to be learned and explained. I want to thank you for that. Since I was making a game in my course, it all became easier after I spent time going through your tutorials. I managed to make a Commander Keen game with enemies and levels. Again thanks for doing those magnificent tutorials.

I have a question though:
    Any chance of you making the tutorial for C#?
    Since I learned Javascript that way, I figure that I would redo the tutorials again if I got the chance to learn C# from it. That's how nice they were.

22. profcwalker

profcwalker

Thank you, T1Green. :)

When it comes to the C# tutorials, we intend to make a whole new set of tutorials with a big push on 2d mobile. We are finishing up with Build a Game Universe, soon, and then we'll put some time back in to tutorials. :)

Also, practicing by converting is a great way to get introduced to the language. Have fun!

23. Diaperbaby

Diaperbaby

sowatnow likes this.
  24. Charlio86

Charlio86

Greetings from Spain to everyone!

Thanks for the tutorials, profcwalker, I send you an email a days ago looking for the 2D and 3D Mario files missing at Rapidshare, but I see there're here. Thanks anyway!

I will continue with the tutorials, want to show you the Space Shooter project, I will upload on next days!

See you!

Carlos

25. sowatnow

sowatnow

Hi
    First of all thanks for the great tutorials.
    Second, I just downloaded the Mario Clone 2D, and imported it into Unity. When I open each scene, there is nothing. When I click on individual object, it shows as wired textured on the screen, but no mesh or texture attached to it.
    Is there a way where I can import everything as shown in the tutorial video?
    Thanks

26. sowatnow

sowatnow

Nice one..
    I followed the original tutorial, where shield can only be used once. What code did you use to make it use 4 times? Plus the additional gun?

ali_murad likes this.
  27. ali_murad

ali_murad

28. ali_murad

ali_murad

cool...i have also made it..its awesome...
    did you make mario 2D clone also?

29. IngridGalaxos

IngridGalaxos

Nice work! Keep on going! I have been working on the Tools-Lab for a while now, and though tools are not as exciting as a complete game, I think the Tools lab is the most important lab up till now, because you learn to make reusable components. I had finished the Timer tool already (I implemented the final version as a class), and today my son and his friend (who also both want to learn to develop games, but are still very young) made a game of their own, and were in need of a proper timer. I was able to implement the Timer in a very short time into their game and the boys (10 and 13 of age) were very happy with the result.

Ingrid

30. Dicex302

Dicex302

I just downloaded the mario files but doesn't look like the tutorials, just downloaded unity 4.5.2. was wondering if i needed to add the sprites and what not back into that game

31. ali_murad

ali_murad

can you plz send me these files..i can't access rapid share from my place

32. IngridGalaxos

IngridGalaxos

I've finally finished the Tools Lab and put it on my site. Please feel free to check it out: http://www.galaxosgames.com/tools/.
    I'm looking forward to start with the Mario project!

33. Coolguy6316

Coolguy6316

34. DAviee

DAviee

I have minor minor education regarding programming with C++ from highschool. I'm 23 now, and have started digging around in unity. I'd say im 15% comfortable with it. I will be taking your free online courses while at work and at home during my spare time! wish me luck. I intend to take it all the way.

Dave

35. MAK777

MAK777

Hi Prof. Chad,

Glad to see you're still maintaining this thread after all these years!

In addition to below, I thought I should let you know that your inbox is full. All the emails I've tried sending you keep getting bounced back with an error message stating the recipient's inbox is full... The one I'm talking about is this: cwalker at walkerboystudio dot com

Just a couple quick queries:

1. This course, it doesn't have a set time-frame it has to be done in, does it?

2. Do all the steps still work for the current rev. of Unity (4.5)? Is there anything that needs to be done differently?

3. As regards the files (assets) for the game Labs, do we download yours or make our own?

4. I take it there's still no 'bulk download' option for the tutorial videos?

Look forward to doing your course!

Sincerely yours,
    Martin

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  36. MAK777

MAK777

As an aside, I noticed that the videos on your Vimeo channel (even when followed all the way through to each video's individual page) do not display at their full quality (It says on your site that they are all either 1920x1080 or 1920x1200). Instead, Vimeo automatically only displays them at HD 720p, so you have to enable Full HD 1080p viewing for each video. There's a really easy 'three button-presses' guide for how to enable it here: http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthrea...-streaming&s=a35839b1017017588939630b0cb51211

God bless,
    Martin

37. Charlio86

Charlio86

Thanks! ;)

38. IngridGalaxos

IngridGalaxos

Hi,

I'm working at the 2D Mario Project and stumbled across a small problem: In part 23-11 (gumba pathnodes) the tutorial
    shows how to set up two enums: GumbaState in the enemyControls script and PathInstruction in the pathNode script.
    Both have the same values. In each script a variable contains the current state (var gumbaState and var pathInstruction);

In the OnTriggerEnter of the enemyControls script the gumbaState is set to the value of the pathInstruction:
    if (other.tag == "pathNode")
    {
    var linkToPathNode = other.GetComponent(pathNode);
    gumbaState = linkToPathNode.pathInstruction;
    }

This results in an error: Cannot convert 'PathInstruction' to 'EnemyState'. (BCE0022)
    Maybe there is a stricter type restriction in the newer versions of Unity, as it seemed to work fine in the tutorial?

I've found several solutions to this problem:

1. Use a switch - case statement to compare the enum integer values:
    switch (linkToPathNode.pathInstruction)
    {
    case 0:
    gumbaState = 0;
    break;
    case 1:
    gumbaState = 1;
    break;
    case 2:
    gumbaState = 2;
    break;
    case 3:
    gumbaState = 3;
    break;
    }

2. In the pathNode script, do not make a separate enum for PathInstruction, but assign the GumbaState value directly:
    var pathInstruction = GumbaState.moveStop;

Apparently the enum is a kind of static variable that can be referenced throughout the game. In one of the other Forums I read the advice to have all enums of your game in a separate script (seems good advice to me).

3. Cast the pathInstruction to an int:
    gumbaState = parseInt(linkToPathNode.pathInstruction);

I don't know which solution is best. Maybe one of you has had this problem as well and found yet another solution?

Ingrid

39. ceebat

ceebat

I appreciate the tutorial it is amazing and I am excited to get in more in depth with it. Is it possible to download all the assets that come along with the tutorial without using Rapid Share. I signed up for that and it told me there standard account (free) account were no longer available after July 2014. I didn't want to 50 bucks just to be able to download the files. Any help on this. And I thanks for taking the time to do this!

EDIT: Never mind if you read this I found your link with the Mario2D files and Mario 3d files after going through a lot of the comments.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
  40. SarkanyIndustries

SarkanyIndustries

41. bluedusk

bluedusk

Hi there!

Anyone know the 2d mario project base on which version of Unity Editor? Because i think there might be some better implementations with new features in newer version Unity editor for example 4.6+, like animation, animator etc.

42. m-y

m-y

when i open 2 mario project
    every thing is pink /!
    what should i do now ?

43. Michel G

Michel G

Can someone please post a new download link to the "2D Mario Clone Project Files (140mb)"? These files are needed to follow along with the Unity Course Lab 4 tutorial series! I would be forever grateful to who ever does, and would have no problem hosting mirrors of any files that need to be preserved for Unity students in the future.

44. XeroxBlazer

XeroxBlazer

Hello guys,

I have a problem.
    Part 18 is Unity app 1 18............
    Part 19 is Unity app 1 30............

Where is Part 19? Can you fix it.

45. etofok

etofok

This thread seems pretty dead, but I want to contribute, hopefully I'll get a response.

I finished the spaceshooter and you can read / play it there, I think it's pretty cool:
    http://etofok.host22.com/SpaceGame.html

I also have a couple of questions:

1) I downloaded 2D Mario Clone stuff and imported it all, but all I see is this:
    http://puu.sh/cg33P/5b415194c5.png (ctrl + a)

So I can't proceed further unfortunately, or do I have to recreate it?

2)
    Sometimes even if my shield is up I do lose a live from collision with an asteroid
    http://puu.sh/cgCI4/0981d628b7.jpg - these are my collision capsules, the big one is the shield
    What could be a problem?

I did subscribe to this thread, so I'll definitely read yours, thanks

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  46. SarkanyIndustries

SarkanyIndustries

Hey there!

I finished my presentation on the Project Lab 2 a couple of weeks ago and put it together with the Project Lab 1 Website.
    You can check it out at http://www.sarkany-software.webuda.com/

Have fun!

Andrej Sárkány

47. XeroxBlazer

XeroxBlazer

48. Andre Braathen

Andre Braathen

Hi guys,
    I´m having a problem with the Mario Clone tutorial. I´ve made everything according with the tutorial but when I push the arrow keys right or left to get Mario walking and the jump key ( space key ) together, the character jumps so high that it gets out of the game viewport and takes a long time until it get back to the view field again. I´ve checked my scripts for walk and jump, and run and jump and they are perfectly identical to the scripts shown in the tutorial. I would appreciate if anyone can give me any hint about that.

49. fugitivodesnudo

fugitivodesnudo

Hello there!

First of all I want to thank you for you free course, it is awesome!
    I have happily finished the 3 first projects and I'm going to start the 4th one. I'm having the same issue as etofok. In the 2D Mario Clone files there is no *.unitypackage file, so when we copy all the assets into our project folder, all the links are missed, so we have to connect them manually and its a tedious labour!

Please, could you kindly upload this file again? It would be very helpfull.

Thank you very much!

Bye!

50. profcwalker

profcwalker

Hi fugitivodesnudo,

Glad to hear the projects are going well. For the 2D mario, it was setup to 'open project', not add to a project. :) If you drag and drop it in to a new or existing project it will break the links. But if you Open Project and click on its folder, then it will open up with everything working. :)

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have further questions. Thank you.