Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 3 Release Real Soon Now ™

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by antenna-tree, Sep 21, 2010.

1. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Just went live folks. Play time

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Unity 3.0 is officially released and was so as of 8:00am this morning. The trick now is getting the site updates fully pushed and propagated out to everyone which will take some time. So consider 3.0 shipped, it may take some time to reach your shores!

3. yahodahan

yahodahan

Whooo!!! :d

4. CorruptedHeart

CorruptedHeart

Damnit, I have to wait until next month before I can download it... damn you internet cap!

5. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks for keeping the discount alive still! Bought my copy the second I saw it was available :D

6. crafTDev

crafTDev

Any Demo Projects that come with the Standalone and iPhone?

7. zumwalt

zumwalt

Downloading now, 12 minutes left :) Can't wait to see how the install works with networking and such, fun time day today, fun indeedy...

8. Bootstrap Bill

Bootstrap Bill

Do you have a laptop computer? If so, why not try taking it to a free WiFi hotspot?

9. zumwalt

zumwalt

So 3.0.0f5 is the final build linked on the main site with demo projects included? Or did the link just give me the wrong file? It says UnitySetup-3.0.0.exe but the splash still shows 3.0.0f5, just making sure that it is the right file.

10. desmasic

desmasic

Download link doesn't work
    (trying with Firefox Internet Explorer)

11. Hoff

Hoff

Works fine here with Firefox, you just arent clicking the right link (the link above is wrong)

12. smarcus

smarcus

Super excited, but for the immediate, lower-on-maslow's-hierarchy-of-need short term: any chance we're going to see a 2.7 release to go with this, too?

13. Pulov

Pulov

at this point, despite of the wishes I miss in teh features, I can only say

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! to Unity staff___

14. Hoff

Hoff

I should point out I downloaded Mac version which was fine, not sure about the PC version since I don't use it.

I got the mac version here: http://unity3d.com/unity/download/

15. Nick3d

Nick3d

Downloading now!!!!!!!!!!!
    Damn, 403mb? that's a lot....good, lots of stuff, can't wait to try it!

16. desmasic

desmasic

the PC version still doesn't work for me, i click "Download Unity Now" from http://unity3d.com/unity/download/ and it still doesn't do anything, the page will flash for a second and not doing anything, weird...

17. Dreamora

Dreamora

works fine here on chrome
    its just a matter of waiting about 10 seconds

18. desmasic

desmasic

19. jonaphin

jonaphin

Future is usually in the making...
    Today, it feels like the Future was released early!

Congratulations, Unity team. You have once again redefined "excellence".

20. Nick3d

Nick3d

Nevermind, I just need to go to sleep :), activation ok :D

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  21. Hoff

Hoff

Thats not a wise thing to do, various problems occur when your hosts file is large. Just run a firewall, thats the proper way to handle it.

22. MatthewJCollins

MatthewJCollins

Congratulations on the release UT!!! I look forward to diving in and checking out your latest handy work! :)

23. Pulov

Pulov

I'm unable to run the 30day trial. The internet activation trown an error, (12002)

24. Nick3d

Nick3d

Don't use internet activation, ask for the request file and save it, then ask for a license on https://store.unity3d.com/manual and you get your license :D, then just click read license and search for your license downloaded from the website and you'll be happy :D

25. ThorsHand11

ThorsHand11

Yeah 3 is out! I am downloading as I type!

26. Maph

Maph

Congrats on releasing guys! I've got a hunch that Unity3 will be your "golden" release. :)

27. HolBol

HolBol

I can't get into it, i was on the 30 day trial, and i clicked 'continue Pro trial', it say sit shold be running. but is still asking for activation. Internet doesn't work, and nor does manual activation. Help!

28. NoQuarter

NoQuarter

I'm experiencing similar scenario as Fishman92. I bought Pro, have a serial number but the activation process does not work. I'm eager to jump in, help!

29. Dreamora

Dreamora

wait for the server to be not plagued by x00000 requests per minute ;)

30. GiusCo

GiusCo

same here, I had taken the 30 days trial to avoid the free licenses non activation at the moment
    but it is now requesting for registration again!

and choosing "continue trial" on that registration page I still can not work Unity 3.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  31. PhoenixOnFire

PhoenixOnFire

"free licenses trap?"

I'm new to Unity, what trap are you talking about?

32. GiusCo

GiusCo

i've edited my message

it is not possible to activate free licenses at the moment because of servers overload (maybe)

no trap no hidden clauses there :)

33. jdebroy

jdebroy

Is Unity3 free too? I mean, when the pro license expires it still is as free as 2.61 to publish and everything?

34. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is still a free version, right. the differences can be seen on the comparision table on the website (you lose GI on beast, occlusion culling, deferred rendering, shadows, render textures and post fx among a fewe other things)

35. jdebroy

jdebroy

Yes, am aware of the reduced features of the free version on 2.61. My question was more intended on the licensing scheme for publishing games with the new U3. My doubt arised because I don't see a "free unity" on the front page and on the feature comparison page there is not a label that states that it can be freely used to publish, as I recall there was for the previous version.

36. txmikester

txmikester

When you go to download Unity 3, it says on that page it is the free version/30 day trial of pro. But don't hold your breath - I tried a little while ago and couldn't even get the download to start. I guess I'll wait a few days for the traffic to die down. The last version I downloaded was RC4 - it couldn't be that different anyway.

37. jdebroy

jdebroy

I had no trouble downloading it, already downloaded and installed but have not activated it yet, due to some other activities I need to finish. Thanks for clearing up my question.

38. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

I know it's a little late... but since this is the Announcements section, shouldn't there be a dedicated announcement that Unity 3.0 is released?

39. brad_ict

brad_ict

I've played the Bootcamp demo on the website that includes the beginning cut scene and the second level where you shoot the robots; will any of this second level be released for download as an example project? Or will it always be limited to the first level with no access to the robots and turrets? Would love to have this second level as an example!

40. coin-god

coin-god

Is there any chance on seing the City from the First trailer as an example project? It was so beautiful.

And yeah, I have selected 30 days trial and now cannot activate. :(

41. Lalo

Lalo

I've just to activate my trial copy of Unity Pro (3.0).....It's quite impresive, the water on the bootcamp is smooth and really looks fresh!!!
    I'd got a few problems before to accomplish the activate, maynly around "a problem with the server's comunication" in windows 7, but it was just for the overloaded I guess, in my 3rd attemp I've got it!!! ...and now I've got 30 days to touch the heaven lol.

Thank you Unity Team, you are the best, greetings from Peru.

42. tim_bkk

tim_bkk

Still trying to register without luck here :(

If you have Unity on only 1 computer and are busy working on a project, I strongly suggest you do not install Unity 3 for now.

It installs over Unity 2.6 and then will not allow you to run Unity 3 until it is registered, and the registration server seems to be broken at the moment, so you're not going to be able to do any work until they fix their server issues.

43. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Just rename Unity 2.6 to something other than "Unity", and it won't do that.

--Eric

44. HolBol

HolBol

What if you have already written over 2.6? Because mine still doesn't work.

EDIT: DW, Internet Activation Now works for the Pro Trial!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  45. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Restore from backup.

--Eric

46. SPIKY

SPIKY

So it's possible to have a free versions of unity 3 installed, next to a pro version of 2.6?
    I'm currently working on 2.6 projects, so I need to be sure :)

47. neonleif

neonleif

It is possible, yes.
    Do we support it? No.
    Why? Otherwise our test matrices would be insane :)

I've got the entire range of betas installed on both my win7 and mac test machines. The only problems I encountered was accidentally opening 3.x projects with 2.x and vice versa, but you get a warning before Unity upgrades anything in your project.

Cheers
    Nico

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Unity 2 and Unity 3 don't share preferences, which should make things less oops-prone.

--Eric

49. jheiling

jheiling

activation is still not working after more than 12 hours. support is not responding, no way to download 2.6.1, no comments on the problem...

so could please someone tell me: what is going on? when will you fix the problem? will i loose a day of work or a week?

50. andeeeee

andeeeee

Just in case you haven't seen them there are two threads here and here that might help get you going. The delay appears to be purely down to the surge in registrations for Unity 3.