Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 2017 Stretched Particles Don't Rotate Correctly Anymore

Discussion in '2017.1 Beta' started by Highsight, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Highsight

Highsight

I've been using Unity 2017b1 for a while to create various Particle Effects. I recently switched over to 2017b10, and noticed something strange about one of my Particle Systems. I've been using this tutorial here to create a portal style effect using a circle with a scaled up Y axis (1.4) and with some visual noise on the inside. The particle is emitted a bunch of times with a a random rotation between 0 and 360, and a fade-in/fade-out effect to simulate the illusion that it is moving. In the past, the portal would be rotated in such a way that it was always stretched vertically when rotated. Since upgrading to 2017b10 however, the portal now rotates in such a way that only 0 degrees is actually facing upwards, and any other degree is rotated.

Here's how it looked in the past:

upload_2017-6-19_18-39-52.png

Here's how it looks now:

upload_2017-6-19_18-39-15.png

I have not been able to find a way to get the old functionality back. Can anyone tell me if there's a way to do it with beta 10, or is this functionality gone forever?

2. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

It's hard to say without reproducing it here. Can you submit what you have, as a bug report, so we can investigate here?

One observation is that non-uniform scaling of Particle Systems is not robustly supported, due to many situations where it is impossible to know what the intention is (apply scale to view-space billboards, or to world space transform?) Although despite this, I don't know why it might have changed during the 2017 beta cycle.

3. Highsight

Highsight

I went ahead and attached a zip file containing two projects. One is the normal one for Beta 1 (PortalTest), the other is the broken one for Beta 10 (PortalTestb10). Let me know if you need anything else!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

If receiving a bug-fix for this issue is important to you, I recommend to submit a bug-report following the steps outlined here:
    https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

This makes sure the bug-report is in their bug-tracking-pipeline and has to be looked at eventually.

Ostwind and richardkettlewell like this.
  5. vakabaka

vakabaka

My particle effects have now other rotation too (box shape). I have found: if z-scale (box shape) is zero, then the emitting direction is x-axis (if greater as zero, then z-axis).

6. Highsight

Highsight

I went ahead and submitted a bug report, which has been accepted. Apologies for posting here first, I just wanted to confirm it was a bug before filing a bug report.

richardkettlewell likes this.
  7. richardkettlewell

richardkettlewell

Unity Technologies

Posting here first to be sure isn't a bad thing :)

With Unite happening next week, it may take a little longer than usual to get you any info about this, but someone will be in touch once we know more about the change in behavior.

Thanks for reporting it!