Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unititled Rolling Ball game... Feedback needed!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JamesPro, Sep 4, 2012.

1. JamesPro

JamesPro

I decided for once to create a small game that I could actually finish in a reasonable amount of time... I decided on a Side Scrolling Rolling ball game... I need some input on the first 4 levels however. None of the Level Geometry is textured yet and there are alot of things that still need to be added but I've already got some complaints that level 3 is too hard. What are your thoughts?

Here is a Screenshot showing an over view of Level 4:

$OverView_Level4.jpg

And the game can be tested here:
    http://www.riseofheroesmmo.com/sphere/index.html

Thanks!

Hints:
    Level 1: Collect all the coins...
    Level 2: Jump using the Space Bar in order to collect all the coins...
    Level 3: Jump of the wall while holding the arrow key in the direction you want to move...
    Level 4: Same as Level 3...

2. Shastafication

Shastafication

Honestly, The coins look very cheap, and the ball is very static. other then that the game play is nice but it will get boring. Are you planning on adding any enemies, traps, or dynamic stuff to the level?

3. HJinkle

HJinkle

Woah now, the guy's name is James Pro. 'Pro', as in professional. I think we can trust he knows what he is doing? I personally like the innovation behind having a rolling ball game without any rolling balls in it, keep it up JamesPro :)

4. Shastafication

Shastafication

Haha. Well, I will trust when I see this game take off into something great. :)
    Its interesting to see how things turn out when more and more versions are released.

5. gregzo

gregzo

@James

It's really not hard to get that ball rolling. I'm actualy not sure how you managed to have it not rolling... Locked rotation?

It's a very good idea you had : tackling a small project you can handle will definitely teach you more than going straight for that mmo you dream of.

Small steps, and yet smaller steps if needed!

6. Xicer

Xicer

Its not that level 3 is hard, its that, you jump from 2 very easy levels straight to a hard one. And i had no idea that you could wall jump. Not many people will look at the instructions. so make sure you teach them during gameplay what they have to do. Otherwise good job, for a start.

7. JamesPro

JamesPro

Yes I locked the rotation for now... I didn't feel like working on a Camera Script just yet to get the camera to follow the ball so the ball is the parent of the Camera... When the ball started rolling it made the camera roll as well which was giving me a Migraine after a while not to mention it made the game unplayable! lol So needless to say I locked the ball's rotation for right now.

Yes there will be obstacles, enemies, traps, ect that will need to be avoided or killed... I've been playing around with moving platforms, and moveable Crates that could be used for solving different puzzles.

8. gregzo

gregzo

9. JamesPro

JamesPro

Thanks for the link... I'll take a look at it at some point and see what I can come up with... Most of those camera follow scripts are meant to follow an object from behind not from the side so they will need some redesigning in order to work.

I will be uploading a new version soon which just contains a little playground to test different game concepts. So far I've got some Falling boxes that if they land on the player the player will die. I've got the wall jump setup. I've got a switch system in place which will allow me to add objectives where you have to stand on the switch in order to gain access to something. and I've got moving platforms...

I would love any feedback on the ease of use of these features and any other features you guys think would be fun to add also I would like ideas on different kinds of puzzles and objectives I could add in order to beat levels! Thanks!

10. Dabeh

Dabeh

The jump needs to be controlled.
    You should be able to press "Space" and how long you hold it is how long you stay up(to a certain time). After you let go, you go down and can't press it again until youve touched the ground.