Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

What you are seeing is multiple cameras rendering different things because one or two cameras stay still while one rotates. All your camera's rotations must match, even the UniStorm one. So, if camera 1 and 2 have a mouse look script on them, your UniStorm camera must have the same.

2. EddieChristian

EddieChristian

I am setting up UniStorm for the first time with the new version following the Auo-Setup video. I keep getting this error

"You already have UniStorm Particle effects in the scene"

Also on import it threw an error on a Crease editor script. And I had to re-import image effects. And the UnistormDestopPrefab had an error with the global fog script as well. I'm not sure if all of this is because of the very recent Unity update or not. Is there a link that can walk me through the manual set-up???

3. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

The Auto Player Setup error is because you already have UniStorm particles in your scene. Remove them and run the Auto Player Setup again. This is the easiest way to setup as it does everything that's needed for setup automatically.

As for your error regarding the image effects, this is more of a Unity issue and it's due to the image effect conflicting with previous versions. Usually removing the image effects script and editors that are causing the issues fixes the problem. You can also remove the image effects from your project and reimport them. If doing this, be sure to backup your project first as a precaution.

You can see our Trouble Shooting portion of the UniStorm Wiki here: http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Solutions_to_Possible_Issues

4. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi BHS,

Edited this post as the issue was due to my water asset adding another camera which was causing a conflict the fog and sunshafts.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  5. adndima

adndima

When will the updated version, unity 5.5.0?

6. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Morning all,

Edit 2. Found intensity curve for moon and sun.

7. BHS

BHS

UniStorm should work fine with Unity 5.5.

8. BHS

BHS

This video demonstrates the improvements in lighting and lighting transitions made with UniStorm 2.3. Every color you see can be customized for each time of day.

UniStorm 2.3 with will be released soon. This update will also update UniStorm Mobile to version 2.3.

DesertRaven, jrock84 and AndyNeoman like this.
  9. ElevenGame

ElevenGame

To me it seems that the Global Fog effect has changed in Unity 5.5. It seems to block/overlay the sun/moon and skycolor. I tried reimporting Unistorm already, without any success.. Have you got any ideas ho to fix this?

And thats a beautiful video, by the way! looking forward to 2.3.

10. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

The transition to night looks really great. That is what I am struggling with at the moment. Either looks too dark or too light. Would you be able to share your light settings?

Also The sunshafts scripts seem to only work on the camera at certain heights. For example on my TP controller if the camera moves lower to near ground level and then the player looks up at the sun the effect switches on and off.

It really spoils the great looking effect is there a way to alter the height/angle it works?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  11. Harekelas

Harekelas

Hey there, I love many factors of unistorm, but there are still some questions we need to figure out before purchasing it.
    1. Can unistorm display accurate sun angle and star map depend on the longitude and latitude we choose?
    2. Can we add new cloud types into the system, and is it hard to make some minor tweaks of your climate system?
    3. Is the temperature system related to weather? For instance, it'll get colder when rains, and continuous high temperature will cause violent and sudden storm.
    4. Can we expect to observe the clouds and find some patterns of weather changing? Like cirrocumulus promises an up coming sunny day, and stratocumulus means rain is not far.

We are currently using Tenkoku sky system, and can achieve our goal somewhat, but we prefer unistorm's lighting effects , visual quality and climate generatiors. Would like to change our sky method to uniStorm. But the functions up there is quite important to our gameplay, so would like to know if unistorm has those functions or we can tweak and achieve them by some minor efforts.

Hear you soon!

12. BHS

BHS

You can adjust the sunlight intensity using the Sun Intensity Curve. At the time of day that it's too bright, such as the middle of the day, you can move the point further down. I find having the middle point 0.5 to 1 value lower than the default works best.

The sun shafts should work regardless of the height of the sun. I'm not sure why it's not working, unless the view of the sun is being obstructed.

We are working on redoing the sun angle with the next version or two.

1) Longitude and latitude support is something we would like to implement within the next version of two.
    2) Adding new clouds shouldn't be too hard, but it would have to be done with an external script or altering the UniStorm script.
    3) Temperature is fluctuated based on the time of day. So, it's warmer during the day and colder at night. However, we do plan on adding temperature fluctuation based on weather with the next version.
    4) There are no specific types of clouds that determine the weather. We do have a forecast example that can generate the weather for an in-game UniStorm week.

UniStorm is very flexible, so if there's some custom features you want added, you should be able to do so with a custom script or altering the UniStorm system itself. We are always more than happy to add requested features or provide help with implementing them.

13. BHS

BHS

This video demonstrates the improvements in UniStorm's weather transitions and weather lighting with UniStorm 2.3.

DesertRaven and ElevenGame like this.
  14. Harekelas

Harekelas

Glad to hear! I'll keep an eye on unistorm's new updates.
    Can't wait to know when will the next two version come out.

BHS likes this.
  15. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

(For anyone using Unity 5.5)
    If your UniStorm sky is grey, it's because of the Global Fog image effect on the camera that's blocking UniStorm's sky. This isn't a UniStorm issue. Unity 5.5 has changed the way Unity's Global Fog is handled. UniStorm uses a Global Fog version from a different version of Unity that isn't supported by Unity 5.5. If this is happening to you, it is a very simple fix. We will be fixing this with our next update, but until then, here's a solution.

1) Remove the Global Fog image effect from your camera.
    2) In Unity, go to Assets>Import Package>Effects and reimport the Image Effects. This will update them to Unity 5.5.
    3) Once finished, add the Global Image Effect back to the camera. You're all set, UniStorm's skies should now be visible.

DesertRaven and ElevenGame like this.
  16. jrock84

jrock84

Looking forward to the 2.3 update! Love the work you guys have been doing. Thanks!

BHS likes this.
  17. o1o101

o1o101

Hi there, interested in this asset, I have a few questions.

I read a lot of the forum, but how is much does UniStorm effect performance on mobile, compared to using just a regular six side skybox?

Is there any performance bench marks on older android devices?

On average, how many batches and vertices does this add to the scene?

Are all the features listed supported on mobile? If not, which features are not?

Does this use the Unity 5 standard skybox as the mobile version, or is it a skydome?

Thanks!

18. DesertRaven

DesertRaven

Wow, looking forward to the improvements in 2.3.
    Check out this Video of an older Game, look at the storm and dense Rain!
    Maybe in a future release, enable a higher rain density.
    Edit: Also can you do something like they did with the flowing wet surfaces?

I've also noticed that during a storm the sun intensity is still the same.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  19. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

During our tests we received about 60 fps on a Galaxy S4. We are working on redoing the mobile version that should increase performance even more.

We receive about 3 batches and 5.9k verts.

Most of the features you see on desktop are also on mobile, excuding the Sun Shafts and the features introduced with the newer versions on desktop. The mobile version is a couple versions old and we are in the process of updating it to the 2.3 version.

UniStorm uses a modified version of the Unity 5 skybox.

Thanks, this is a good reference.

We are in the process of improving the weather effects with the next version or two. The flowing wet surfaces would be handled with a shader. I'm sure there are shaders that do this on the Asset Store that you could implement with UniStorm.

The sun intensity does get dimmer as a storm rolls in. This is adjustable via the UniStorm Editor and can be as dim or as bright as desired.

DesertRaven likes this.
  20. digimbyte

digimbyte

so I'd like to report issues with 5.5
    I heard that the developer says it should work.
    but I get these errors
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/Plugins/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Examples/Spawn Player OnStart/GetUniStormComponents_JS.js(2,8): BCE0021: Namespace 'UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects' not found, maybe you forgot to add an assembly reference?
    2. Assets/Plugins/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/UniStorm Systems/UniStormWeatherSystem_JS.js(5,8): BCE0021: Namespace 'UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects' not found, maybe you forgot to add an assembly reference?
    I have moved UniStorm into a dedicated 'plugins' folder
    and I have added

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityStandardAssets.ImageEffects;
    too 'EdgeDetectEffects.cs'

Regards

21. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Thanks, this can also be fixed by deleting the old image effects folder and reimporting the image effects with Assets>Import Package>Effects. This allows UniStorm to use the most up to date image effects for the version of Unity you are using.

22. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

RTP terrain shader has this flowing water feature. You would just have code a control linking it to unistorm rain. It's on my todo list...

DesertRaven and BHS like this.
  23. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Im getting an issue with the fog. Had a similar problem a few weeks ago but that was due to an extra camera which is now gone.

If I enable auto enable fog it is on at all times, also the colour does not change with unistorms set colours. The type is controlable and distance etc.. but not the colour.

I have redownloaded the 5.5 effects scripts so that issue is fixed. Any idea what this could be?

24. BHS

BHS

Strange, we tested UniStorm with Unity 5.5 without any issues. The only things that needs to be done is updating the image effects to Unity 5.5. The Fog Color was working fine when we tested Unity 5.5. I'll look into to see what's going on.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  25. DecayGame

DecayGame

This is so annying I don't know how to fix this... When I play my scene some of my objects go to a grey color making things look darker ( like this texture for example )
    I know for a fact it's Unistorm because whenever I disable it this doesn't happen. Someone please help .. !

Attached Files:

26. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

My guess would be that you are using a Legacy material that isn't taking in account the Global Illumination.

It could also be that you are using the Skybox Ambient Source when you should be using Color Ambient Soucre. This can be adjusting with UniStorm under Lighting Options. The Skybox Ambient Source is often too dark.

27. DecayGame

DecayGame

Okay thank you :)

28. DecayGame

DecayGame

Oh and like when I walk into some spots my hand model will get darker then It will get brighter when I walk into a different spot and all sorts of different spots are brighter and darker. meanwhile its a blank terrain.

29. BHS

BHS

UniStorm uses a standard directional light. If you are having those issues, it's most likely associated with something else. Ensure that you don't have any other directional lights in your scene other than UniStorm's.

What features specifically are you referring to?

30. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

We're hoping to submit UniStorm 2.3 within the next couple of weeks. We are doing some major revamping to UniStorm Mobile as well as UniStorm Desktop. However, with this post, we will be focusing on UniStorm Desktop.

With UniStorm 2.3, we have added some much needed improvement for the way settings and color adjusting can be handled. Customers often ask the settings we've used in our demos, but it can be difficult and time consuming to enter in setting by setting, not to mention it isn't really possible to post an entire editor of settings. This is where some major improvements needed to happen.

UniStorm 2.3 will add a new tab that will allow users to export and import UniStorm settings with the click of a button. This will also allow users to share and import settings from a txt file created with UniStorm to get the exact same results. Using the Unity Forums and the UniStorm Wiki, you can try tons of premade UniStorm settings to get the results you are looking for. The lighting and settings we used in our demo videos will also be the new default settings for the UniStorm Demo Scenes, along with a few other UniStorm Settings files for users to try out.

There is an option to import both settings and colors. We have kept the settings to be only the visual settings to avoid users getting unwanted changes, such as time related variables, dates, particle densities, etc.

Feedback and questions would be appreciated so we can make this new tool as useful as possible.

ImportingAndExporting.png

SavingExport.png

31. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

That is a great idea. Superb.

32. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

Is it possible as in the asset that the environment fits the weather for example
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?gclid=CKqBnMWNl8gCFQvhGwodAukGUw#!/content/33963

Rain that makes the surface wet or when it is snowing the surrounding area slowly with snow

AndyNeoman likes this.
  33. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

It would be great if Unistorm linked in with RTP - although it is on my todo list to code the required function but i need to stop playing around with my environment and move on to the coding!

Twoonebe likes this.
  34. BHS

BHS

This is on our to do list. Once UniStorm 2.3 is out, we will be adding wet and snow shaders with the next version.

RTP shader integration should be pretty simple. When we get the time, we will post a working script that controls the wet and snow shaders based on the weather.

AndyNeoman and Sonnenspeer like this.
  35. BHS

BHS

Thanks! We're sure a lot of people will find this new feature useful.

Sonnenspeer likes this.
  36. txarly

txarly

hi,

really enjoying unistorm.
    is it possible for example to change the weather randomly every x hours in ths same day?
    i mean, for example, at 10 the weather is a light rain with 15 º and randomly at 12 or 13 is heavy rain with 5º?so it can change the weather various times in a day randomly from sunny to windy, rain,...

thanks

37. SSL7

SSL7

Hello,

With the new way that Particle Systems work I have a problem because my project spawns the player in runtime (player with camera attached is not in the editor, but they spawn once i press play). For that reason I cannot attach the components Rain,Snow, Ligthing etc. and if i do and then delete my character from editor, they get lost ofcourse. Anything i m missing here?

edit: never mind, found the solution in previous pages (81)

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  38. GarretPolk

GarretPolk

I'm seeing an error in UniStorm 2.2.4, Unity 5.5, and the current Unity image effects. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/Editor/UniStormSetupEditor.cs(337,35): error CS1061: Type `SunShafts' does not contain a definition for `sunThreshold' and no extension method `sunThreshold' of type `SunShafts' could be found. Are you missing an assembly reference?

39. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Yes it is

Here's one way to do what you'd like. To use this script, create an Empty GameObject and attach this script to it. In the inspector, you will see an array of bools. Set the hours elements to 23, one for each hour in military time. Each element represents an hour. Setting the element to true will randomize the weather for that hour.

Code (CSharp):
    1. //Randomized Weather by Time
    2. //By: Black Horizon Studios
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using System.Collections;
    5. using System.Collections.Generic;
    7. public class RandomizedWeatherByTime : MonoBehaviour
    8. {
    9.     UniStormWeatherSystem_C uniStormSystem;
    10.     public List<bool> hours = new List<bool>();
    11.     List<bool> trackedHours = new List<bool>();
    13.     void Start ()
    14.     {
    15.         //Look for the UniStorm system on start
    16.         uniStormSystem = GameObject.Find("UniStormSystemEditor").GetComponent<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>();
    18.         //Tracked hours are used to ensure the if statement is called once
    19.         for (int i = 0; i < hours.Count; i++)
    20.         {
    21.             trackedHours.Add(false);
    22.         }
    24.         InvokeRepeating ("UpdateWeather", 1, 0.05f);
    25.     }
    27.     void UpdateWeather ()
    28.     {
    29.         if (uniStormSystem.minuteCounter <= 0)
    30.         {
    31.             if (hours[uniStormSystem.hourCounter] && !trackedHours[uniStormSystem.hourCounter])
    32.             {
    33.                 uniStormSystem.weatherForecaster = UnityEngine.Random.Range(1,14); //Randomly changes the weather to any weather type
    34.                 trackedHours[uniStormSystem.hourCounter] = true; //Set this hour to tracked
    35.             }
    36.             else if (!hours[uniStormSystem.hourCounter] && !trackedHours[uniStormSystem.hourCounter])
    37.             {
    38.                 trackedHours[uniStormSystem.hourCounter] = true; //Set this hour to tracked
    39.             }
    40.         }
    42.         //Reset our tracked hours
    43.         if (uniStormSystem.startTime >= 0.99f)
    44.         {
    45.             for (int i = 0; i < trackedHours.Count; i++)
    46.             {
    47.                 trackedHours[i] = false;
    48.             }
    49.         }
    50.     }
    51. }

40. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

This can be fixed by deleting the Standard Assets folder and reimporting the image effects with Assets>Import Package>Effects. This allows UniStorm to use Unity 5.5's updated image effects. The previous image effects are sometimes not compatible with Unity 5.5. This will be fixed with UniStorm 2.3.

41. txarly

txarly

thanks!! works really well

42. BHS

BHS

You're welcome.

You can also add uniStormSystem.temperature to adjust the temperature for each hour. However, the temperature will still fluctuate based on the time of day so it's warmer during the day and colder at night.

43. SSL7

SSL7

I have a weird problem using unistorm 2.2.4 with playway Water asset. When its time for day/night cycle, for this exact minute, i have HUGE artifacts in the sea, this water system has a camera renderer for water, and its like unistorm interfers with that. When the cycle from day to night finishes its all good, and the problem occurs again when its time for the night to day cycle.

https://postimg.org/image/beb0n2vef/

Any thoughts?

edit: After Many tests, when i disable the volumetric light from PlayWay Water it works, so something conflicts there. the time in unistorm is exactly 17:59 - 18:11 that has the problem in game.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  44. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

Very strange, have you tried disabling the image effects to see if it resolves the problem? What is the exact minute and time this is happening?

For some reason, when UniStorm was submitted with the 2.2.4 version, it made the cloud objects in the Dynamic Clouds a blank layer. This normally doesn't cause any problems, but maybe with your scene it is. Try switching the cloud objects within the Dynamic Clouds to Default to see if it fixes your issue.

Another possible cause could be the absents of a light object when transitioning between night and day. When the light sources reach 0, they are disabled. Open the UniStorm script and press Ctrl+F to open up the search tool. This was originally done to not waste performance on a light source with an intensity of 0, but Unity now does this automatically. This will be fixed with UniStorm 2.3.

For the Sun:
    1) Search for the lines with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. sun.enabled
    2) Comment each one out like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //sun.enabled
    For the Moon:
    1) Search for the lines with
    Code (CSharp):
    1. moonComponent.enabled
    2) Comment each one out like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. //moonComponent.enabled

45. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi BHS,

Any more info on the fog issue in 5.5? I replaced standard assets but still fog does not control colour from unistorm. It also does not disable on a sunny day.

The only thing it does is transition between stormy fog and normal fog.

Also any release dat for the update? I presume that will solve my problems. ;-)

46. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

When updating the image effects, you may need to remove the old Global Fog image effect from your camera and reapply it. It may be trying to reference the previous version that you deleted. I just tested this and can confirm that UniStorm can properly control Unity's fog in Unity 5.5.

We are hoping UniStorm 2.3 will be submitted some time next week, though it may take a couple days longer.

AndyNeoman likes this.
  47. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Thanks BHS, will remove everything and try again.

48. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

I reimported and still had the problem but I have now found the reason. It is actually something to do with Aquas water asset.

It too uses global fog and it appears to stop Unistorms access to change colour. I will post in that forum in the hope of finding a way for them both to use the fog colour.

If you have it and can look at it it would really appreciated.

49. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

I tried this out but noticed that the rain does not have accurate collisions - it sometimes splashes before it hits the ground and sometimes clips through. As I'm using a camera parallel to the ground this is really obvious and jarring.

Is there a way to make the rain collisions more accurate?

50. Stevepunk

Stevepunk

Was this possible?