Search Unity

uninstalling Unity on Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rob8861, Apr 1, 2016.

1. rob8861

rob8861

Hi,

I need to reinstall Unity from because it is in an unstable state.
    I'd like to first remove it from my Mac before I install a fresh copy.
    what is the process of removing Unity from a Mac.

sorry, I am new to macs.

Thank you

2. Paul D

Paul D

Just tried this recently because I've been experiencing whole system freezes when opening projects with 5.3.x:
    Here's what I found. (~ denotes your local user folder.) You can jump to any of these locations in the Finder by pressing Command-Shift-G, then typing part of the path and hitting Tab to complete.

This list may not be exhaustive, but it did seem to "reset" things at least...although it didn't resolve my issue.

Delete the following folders or files:
    1. /Applications/Unity
    2. ~/Library/Application Support/Unity
    3. ~/Library/Caches/com.unity3d.*
    4. ~/Library/Logs/Unity
    5. ~/Library/Preferences/Unity
    6. ~/Library/Preferences/com.unity3d.*
    7. ~/Library/Unity
    8. ~/Library/Preferences/com.OverTheEdge.BugReporter.plist
    9. ~/Library/Preferences/dk.Otee.*
    10. /Library/Application Support/Unity (License file is here...prolly best to leave it alone, or return your license first before deleting)
    11. /Library/Application Support/PACE Anti-Piracy

Last edited: Apr 9, 2016
  3. LBRDesign

LBRDesign

Thanks so much! Accidentally deleted some script for a virtual button so needed to reset the assets and the programme itself and now its working perfectly fine! Thanks

4. Skaterlion

Skaterlion

Wow are you serious?! I just got a mac, not by choice but only because they force you to publish apps (dumb) now this? What's wrong with control panel - uninstall program - done!...

5. halley

halley

The notation
    ~/
    above refers to the user's home directory, and inside
    ~/Library
    would be user-specific settings and preferences and things of that nature. It's usually quite unlikely that the above person would need to resort to finding and burning every possible file related to Unity on their system, but it's useful to know. (As for resetting a script, it should be as simple as re-downloading the asset or package in question. It's not likely they needed to slash and burn all Unity.)

The
    /Applications/Unity
    is the only folder which needs to be removed in the vast majority of cases. MacOS is really quite clean in this regard, as nearly every system dependency for the application itself is kept in one place, rather than spread out in many locations on the system.

Many many programs on Windows also leave user-specific settings and registry entries and documents and other files behind when you hit "Uninstall." This is not a Mac vs Windows thread, so this kind of response is not useful.

sbrouillard, Dennis_eA and bhermer like this.
  6. Lathryx

Lathryx

Could I just simply delete the entire folder?