Search Unity

Unet standalone simulation server (dedicated server)?

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Velo222, May 17, 2016.

1. Velo222

Velo222

Hello,

I was wondering if Unity has released a standalone simulation server yet, as I keep reading that Unity was planning on releasing one "in the future", but that was 2015. Now that it is 2016, I was wondering if this had been implemented yet?

I'm simply looking for a way to have a truly authoritative dedicated server setup for multiplayer using Unet (i.e. where the game is simulated on the server, and all of the clients are basically receivers of the information).

2. Whippets

Whippets

If you check out the Roadmap you'll see that the server library has drifted out of 5.4. Hopefully it makes it to 5.5 which I guess will be towards the end of the year. I'm having some good success with the NetworkServerSimple class which is new to 5.3 and seems to be pretty good.

3. Velo222

Velo222

Ah okay. So still a "no" right now officially.

Are you able to basically have an authoritative/dedicated server with the way you're doing it then? Or is it kind of a hybrid somehow?

4. Whippets

Whippets

It's pretty good. My setup is dedicated authoritative server. Not done any heavy load testing yet, but I'm liking the workflow when using NetworkServerSimple and NetworkClient. Made my own NetMsgs and handlers - seems good so far.

5. VinQbator

VinQbator

Someone from Unity can maybe give an official comment about the status of the simulation server development?

Whippets likes this.
  6. _FLX

_FLX

+1 to Whippets. I'm using NetworkServer & NetworkClient classes and for the moment it works well. You can build something nice with this.
    However I don't trust higher level classes like NetworkTransform. Gave a look 3-4 months ago and I would't even call them pre-alpha...

7. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Haven't released a standalone version. There's some closed alpha activity going on; don't expect anything soon.

electroid and Velo222 like this.
  8. Whippets

Whippets

Thanks richard - just keep us in the loop not in the dark for months at a time :)

Velo222 likes this.
  9. rickcollette

rickcollette

any update on this?

10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

11. buFFalo94

buFFalo94

I think they ended the development and is not anymore in the Roadmap you can check if want

12. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

We’re still on it. Unity recently acquired a company called Multiplay which will help out on this front significantly

13. Whippets

Whippets

Tell us more, this is a key component of Unity for many of us. We'd love to see it bolstered/changed/whatever. Don't keep up in the dark :)

Teila likes this.
  14. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

The deal is very fresh! We’ll be getting teams onboarded. Then can then start to refactor roadmaps and getting things confirmed. So, for now, unable to talk much about the future other than we’ll be busy defining it.

15. Whippets

Whippets

Awesome. Let us know when you can. Even drip feed info. Multiplayer + Unity is definitely where we're at.

Teila likes this.
  16. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Glad to see a fire is being lit under Unity's networking feature development. Good news!

17. Teila

Teila

Wow, fabulous! I cannot wait until we can hear more. This could help a lot of us with our development and especially our testing. Thanks. :)

18. optimise

optimise

19. MostHated

MostHated

I too am interested in any new news.

20. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

Hi, we actually had 3 sessions at GDC. Will post when the recorded sessions come online. Usually takes 1 - 2 weeks after a big event to get videos up. Here's what's up:

1) Dev Days / Multiplay. Gives an overview on creating dedicated server experiences and how Multiplay can help.
    2 & 3) The Future of Connected Games. Gives you an idea of what our future thinking is regarding this space. A shorter one was hosted by Google (not sure if they're posting a video) but a longer 1 hour version was done at our HQ, which was recorded.

We're also working on a blog post for general "State of Multiplayer". This post will take quite a bit of internal collaboration so don't expect it before the videos come out.

Are you working on a multiplayer game or thinking about making one? We may be interested in your feedback. If interested in providing, PM me with details of your project and your team.

optimise likes this.
  21. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

22. CyRaid

CyRaid

None of them mentioned standalone servers (LAN) at all. It seems to have dropped off the roadmap as well, is it still a thing? Is there a progress report?

23. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

By LAN, do you mean dedicated game hosting servers (i.e. cloud hosting) or something else?

YMultiplay, which we acquired, is dedicated game hosting but for very demanding projects (high number of users, high required performance). Without going into too much detail, we want to make it much more accessible and self-service, so it's available to everyone.

24. TwoTen

TwoTen

Standalone LAN servers? LAN (Local area network, I.E your local network. Not the internet)

25. CyRaid

CyRaid

A server executable people can run on their own machine to host small networked parties, like Minecraft and the like. Wasn't that what the server library was supposed to be? Like Zeus from Photon (which seems to have quietly disappeared). There is quite a lot of interest if you look online, for LAN standalone support. Bolt (from Photon) is the closest big project you'll get, but according to them, every connection someone does offline counts towards your CCU.

26. optimise

optimise

@richard-lee, from very high level view, I would like to see a highly optimized scalable server that able to store and update player data and able to play with other player in real time. The lowest possible fee will be charged dynamically based on how much it's used. There will have a free tier for people to try out. Seems like you guys are working on L3 and will slowly approarch to L4 after done L3.

I also would like to imagine how the future of standalone simulation server will look like. It will deeply integrated into Unity that provides seamless development environment between game client and server. So, it will have one is client project and another one is Server project in Unity Editor. When create a project, it will ask you to choose network architecture such as first person shooter, fighting game, real time strategy and etc. Then, it will automatically configure the chosen network architecture for you. The game client and server will code in ECS way that makes adding and removing feature easier than before.

For player data, it will have a set of tools and APIs that provide super efficient data serialization and deserialization between client and server by default that have super high performance and low memory of flatbuffer and beyond. The tools will have something that able to setup the data layout of the game and it will generate the required code automatically to client and server. So, you will no longer need to write a lot of code just to make it able to exchange data between client and server. What you only have to write is when and what kind of data you want to send and receive between client and server . For server database, it will also have the tool to setup what kind of data needs to be stored into database. So, developer dun need to learn and understand a lot of low level details of networking and database knowledge before they can start developing networked game. For developers that dun want to use all these tools, they still able to do all kind of custom solution if developer choose to not using the tools as they have the full access to server.

For real time simulation, it will have better tools and APIs that able sync player and another player through network better than before. By default, it already solve most the networking problem that u will see both clients have smooth movement and not like old unet that it's not sync nicely. It will have the ability to tweak how both client sync the game state but by default it already provide production ready result. It will also have simulation tool that able to simulate good or bad network environment to debug the game.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  27. Szeiner

Szeiner

Hello Velo222 try our network sollurion RUN its based on Unity3D Networking and we use it for our project. We update it permanently for future. Interesting planing update is "Web Admin" and much more..

https://forum.unity.com/threads/run-unity-networking-windows-linux-osx-support.525993/

28. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

@CyRaid

Okay, LAN is something different. I know it's something the product team has talked about recently but no ETA. We understand LAN is important for certain game types, as well as for initial multiplayer prototyping.

@optimise

Thanks for your feedback. Some quick responses.

1) Cost. We generally want something everyone can at least try out for free and the cost scales with usage. Additionally, some way to gate "max spend" because many customers have expressed they don't want to get into a cost-overrun scenario.

2. "Game Archetypes". We recognize that different multiplayer games have very different architectures and customers need a starting point. We're actively creating items to address this...

3. "Player Data Services". In the context of the presentation you watched, these services would come with the development of L1 and L2 features.

optimise likes this.
  29. optimise

optimise

@richard-lee
    Awesome. Ya. The ability to set cost limit is a must have feature. I also would like to see server profiler just like current Unity profiler that able to observe and optimize performance of server. So, there's also have a tool to tweak the server performance just like how Google App Engine works.

There's still a problem when you want to develop hybrid archetypes. What if you want to create MMORPG + RTS?

I dunno whether I understand it correctly but seems like u guys focusing on L1 - L4 features kind of direction. What I hope to see is it will become modules that developers can mix and match to meet their specific requirement. Just like how package manager works currently that only add the feature u want to use.

30. pragmascript

pragmascript

Cloud hosted solutions is not really interesting for us.
    Will it be possible to use the standalone "simulation" server and host it on your own infrastructure?
    Wasn't that the original plan for the standalone server: that you can deploy it on your own hardware?

31. optimise

optimise

Hi @richard-lee, didn't hear from you for a while. I have 2 more questions want to ask.

1) I see ECS Multiplayer preview is planned at 2018.3. Will it able to use standalone simulation server that have full access so I can do almost anything I want?

2) Are u guys still working on server library for people who want to do self hosting server?

32. richard-lee

richard-lee

Unity Technologies

General philosophy

1). Let customers use whatever infrastructure they want. The end to end solution with Unity should be the "best" (fast to setup, cost effective, flexible) but we recognize some projects have very specific requirements.

2). ECS. Provides flexibility and access to more, including the network layer. You'd use this to build your own server-side binaries e.g. optimized version of a client-binary to reduce compute cycles.

pragmascript and optimise like this.