Search Unity

UNET manual/scripting reference

Discussion in 'UNet' started by nporaMep, Jun 9, 2015.

1. nporaMep

nporaMep

Hi
    Unity 5.1 is released and old networking is marked as deprecated, but there is no documentation on a new networking.
    I tried to move from old networking to new (I mostly use RPC calls) from info I got from Unite 2014's video on UNET, but it is not enough.

When will be documentation available?

2. opsive

opsive

3. Shinyclef

Shinyclef

Hopefully soon, but you can access the new documentation from unity via Help -> Unity Manual / Scripting Reference until they update the online documentation.

4. Necromantic

Necromantic

Sadly enough it seems that a lot of the manual (online and offline) is still outdated or just incompatible with the released 5.1 build.
    For example, a lot of the default method calls shown on http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UNetManager.html just don't work as they are shown and the offline manual is even worse.

I also still have the issues discussed here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/failed-to-read-the-id-for-the-match-maker.326167/
    (Okay, this resolved itself a similar way as mentioned in the thread now. After opening multiple of the example networking projects some people posted (that all had the same problem) and repasting and spamming enter on the input field and restarting the Editor multiple times at some point it just started to work. Seems like it just doesn't set the property correctly at random.)

And here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unet-matchmaking-and-the-webplayer.332364/

Is it just me or is that a general problem? Running Unity 5.1.0f3 Personal 64Bit Editor.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
    erebel55 likes this.
  5. HuskyPanda213

HuskyPanda213

@Necromantic
    It's not just you, I have a lot of problems with different names of functions and variables of the networking system. Sometimes functions in the manual don't even exist in the build (5.1.0f3).

6. shadiradio

shadiradio

codestage likes this.
  7. _Adriaan

_Adriaan

8. asperatology

asperatology

@_Adriaan

Try using the Bug Reporter in Unity to report Documentations. There's a new category for it.

9. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

The Dec 2016 docs/demos for lobby are still not updated :/

10. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

If you couldn't tell from seeing no dev posts for the past YEAR in this networking forum for anything related to UNET, HLAPI, Host Migration or Lobby, it's quite obvious that UNET HLAPI and anything relating to Unity online multiplayer is more or less abandoned by Unity. I called it back in September in a thread bumped for months and it was never denied:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unity-hello-is-there-anybody-out-there-p.445978/

I hope these docs and video will assist you. Although these docs are still 100x more useful than anything official that exists, fair warning I've abandoned it in favor of Photon (where I had a lobby running in 2hrs vs 2 months where it's still broke. And Photon is heavily documented and supported) so it's still outdated. I'm fairly certain none of these modules have even been updated or will be updated for 2017 since it's not on the road map, so will probably still be fine. I hope this helps you:

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/h...icial-documentation-please-contribute.446516/

Unity LAN games seem excellent as long as you don't have a lobby. However, if you use a lobby in any way, hope for reconnection or host migration, use HLAPI or UNET, run while you can.

I'd love for the devs to follow up on their promises and can't wait for them to prove me wrong. However, I coded my entire game under the faith of promises that were never fulfilled and had to recode my entire game. I wouldn't wish this on the world to a fellow indie dev. I love Unity, just hate that they have 0 staff 0 support while completely abandoning not only these modules, but also their customers that are desperately trying to use it since it's still advertised when it shouldn't be. Find me in ANY other sub forum and I only have good things to say about them. Minus level 11 ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    Artaani likes this.
  11. Artaani

Artaani

Oh yes. We spend several month by trying to figure out how to work with UNET only because "NetworkView.RPC is obsolete, use UNET".

Unity always made a revolutions. With first Unity network with Mecanim, with NavMesh, with Asset Store!
    What a shame to look at this fail with UNET.

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

https://unity3d.com/ru/learn/tutorials/topics/multiplayer-networking/networking-player-health

Devs missed assigning of value in the SyncVar hook

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.UI;
    3. using UnityEngine.Networking;
    4. using System.Collections;
    6. public class Health : NetworkBehaviour {
    8.     public const int maxHealth = 100;
    10.     [SyncVar(hook = "OnChangeHealth")]
    11.     public int currentHealth = maxHealth;
    13.     //    
    15.     void OnChangeHealth (int health)
    16.     {
    17.         healthBar.sizeDelta = new Vector2(health, healthBar.sizeDelta.y);
    18.     }
    19. }

should be

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using UnityEngine.UI;
    3. using UnityEngine.Networking;
    4. using System.Collections;
    6. public class Health : NetworkBehaviour {
    8.     public const int maxHealth = 100;
    10.     [SyncVar(hook = "OnChangeHealth")]
    11.     public int currentHealth = maxHealth;
    13.     //  
    15.     void OnChangeHealth (int health)
    16.     {
    17.         currentHealth = health; // fix
    18.         healthBar.sizeDelta = new Vector2(health, healthBar.sizeDelta.y);
    19.     }
    20. }

13. asperatology

asperatology

You should cross-post your findings to the Documentation subforum.

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

Will do, thanks

15. Xype

Xype

Yeah check near the top threads here, look for vis2k, unity won't fix it so he is working on it.