Search Unity

Assets UMotion – Animation Editor [Released]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SoxwareInteractive, Jul 24, 2017.

1. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

New on the Asset Store

UMotion is an editor extension that allows creating animations right inside Unity. This was the development thread. UMotion was released on the Asset Store on Sept. 20th, 2017.

UMotion Community - FREE

Check it out on the Asset Store: UMotion Community

UMotion Professional

Check it out on the Asset Store: UMotion Professional

Please note that with the release of UMotion a new thread was created in the "Assets and Asset Store" forum. Future announcements will be made in that thread so make sure to watch it:
    UMotion Forum Thread

I’m looking forward to answer all your questions, feature requests, feedback,.. I’m always keeping a close eye on this thread and my social media channels so just get in touch with me :)

Homepage: https://www.soxware.com/umotion
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/soxwareinteract
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Soxware/
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCuE6nI5gHvUQjx0lo6Twtg

Technical Features
    • Bone Animations (useful for characters, creatures,...)
    • Transform Animations (useful for not rigged models like most guns on the Asset Store)
    • Edit existing Animations (bought from the Asset Store or created in a modelling application)
    • Animate in Play Mode (play the game, pause to edit the animation and continue playing)
    • Constraint System (Inverse Kinematics, Child-Of, Custom Property)
    • Supports Humanoid, Generic and Legacy Animations
    • Flexible UI with Shortcut System (shortcuts can be user defined)
    • And many more: Root Motion, Animation Events, Video Tutorials,...

News Feed

Update Sept. 20th, 2017:
    UMotion is finally released on the Asset Store. Complete Post

Update Sept. 13th, 2017: Development of the first release is officially finished. Complete Post

Update Sept. 07th, 2017:
    Uploaded the first 4 official video tutorials. Complete Post

Update Aug. 26th, 2017: Submitted UMotion to the Asset Store for review. Complete Post

Update Aug. 23rd, 2017:
    New video about the Constraint System released. Complete Post

Update Aug. 17th, 2017: New video released. Complete Post

Update Aug. 12th, 2017: Start of closed beta. Complete Post

Update Aug. 7th, 2017:
    Join the Beta and get UMotion Professional for free. Complete Post.

Update Aug. 4th, 2017: UMotion Community will be free for everybody. Complete Post

FeatureComparison.png

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. neoshaman

neoshaman

How does this compare to skele?

3. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @neoshaman,
    thanks for your question.

It's a bit hard to answer as I don't think it is good practice to compare your own product with others. This job can be done better by third ones as they can be more objective :)

But maybe I can give you a better understanding of what UMotion can do for you.
    UMotion is a very autonomous editor extension that consists of its own editor windows. The "Clip Editor" which is very similar to Unity's animation window and the "Pose Editor" that provides all 3D tools for "building" your animation. So the entire workflow from opening the project to the finished animation was coded from ground up to give you a complete experience as well-known 3D modelling applications do.

I hope that answers your question and let me know if there is anything I should explain in more detail.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Malbers likes this.
  4. radiantboy

radiantboy

Really excited about this! Totally solves a major issue.

Malbers and SoxwareInteractive like this.
  5. Malbers

Malbers

Amazing.. Looks really Amazing you got me really hyped!! subscribed to all your socials ;D

if you cannot include it in this release, please add Animation Layers on future updates..

6. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks guys!

@Malbers yes that is indeed planned for a future update. For the first release you may consider using Mecanim/Animator animation layers if suitable in your use case.

Malbers likes this.
  7. yohami

yohami

I guess the answer is yes - but can I import mocaps, edit them, and save them to be used with Mecanim?

8. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

@yohami: Sure that's one of the main use cases :)

9. yohami

yohami

I'll be your customer then :)

Malbers and SoxwareInteractive like this.
  10. vamky

vamky

This is awesome! Will buy! Unity NEED a good animation authoring tool!

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  11. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks to everybody for this amazing feedback on Reddit: https://redd.it/6puw0y

upload_2017-7-29_7-11-15.png

There have been lots of good questions, so I thought I summarize the most interesting here:

Q: Unity can edit animations too. So what is the advantage of UMotion?
    A: Yes you can do some basic animations with the Animation Window in Unity, but it lacks important features like: Visualization of the bones, Inverse Kinematics and most important a good workflow for creating advanced animations.

Q: Can I edit humanoid animations with UMotion?
    A: Yes, with UMotion you can create and edit animations for Humanoid, Generic and Legacy.

Q: Does UMotion only work during Play Mode?
    A: You don't have to be in play mode, you can use all features (including IK) also in edit mode.

Q: So does this replace a model program to create animations (especially root motion animations) or is this just to finetune / edit them?
    A: You can create new animations without the need of any external application or you can modify/fine tune existing animations. Of course it isn't as feature rich as e.g. Autodesk Maya but it offers you everything you need to create good looking animations from scratch. Root motion is fully supported.

Q: Looking good, what sort of price point are you planning for this?
    A: I think doing animations in Unity is a huge time saver especially for small teams and hobbyists. So I will try to create a fair deal to make UMotion accessible especially for this type of developers :)

Q: Awesome, can I try it?
    A: UMotion is still under development at the moment. But once I finished implementation and internal testing I might be doing some sort of beta testing.

If you have any questions feel free to write a short post, I would be happy to answer them :)

If you want to participate a possible Beta, then please follow my socials or watch is thread, I might be doing some announcements in the following weeks (depending on my progress). The links can be found in my signature.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Malbers likes this.
  12. thelebaron

thelebaron

Will UMotion allow you to export animations(say, as an fbx)? Regardless of that this looks fantastic and I can't wait to buy it.

13. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @thelebaron,

thanks for your nice words. FBX export is not implemented but may be added in a future version if there is high demand for such a feature. Animations are currently exported to Unity's *.anim file format.

thelebaron and Malbers like this.
  14. coverpage

coverpage

I almost definitely will purchase this. I have a simple mocap setup and cleaning up animations in the editor will be excellent. Any projection on how early you would want to launch this. A very soft, informal prediction.

Malbers likes this.
  15. coverpage

coverpage

"
    Q: Looking good, what sort of price point are you planning for this?
    A: I think doing animations in Unity is a huge time saver especially for small teams and hobbyists. So I will try to create a fair deal to make UMotion accessible especially for this type of developers :)
    "
    Good man. :)

16. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thanks for your interest. The implementation is nearly finished, there is only one small part missing. I'm currently testing and writing a manual. I think I won't be able to release in august, but depending on my progress, any following month may be possible.

17. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hey guys,
    I thought I upload a new video to give you a closer look at UMotion. Thank you all for the great feedback that I have already got. Let me know if there is anything I should explain in more detail.

18. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

This is super cool! Will we be able to bake constrained animations?

19. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

@Kolyasisan: Thanks :) Once an animation that uses the constraint system is exported (to get an *.anim file) the "effect" of the constraints is baked into the animation, yes.

Kolyasisan likes this.
  20. YusifJasim

YusifJasim

Just Wow!
    I'll purchase this 100%!

21. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hey Guys,

I’m thrilled to announce that I have decided to release the core functionality of UMotion for free allowing everybody to create animations in Unity. It will be released as UMotion Community.

FeatureComparison.png

With UMotion Community you can create as many animations as you like using the well known forward kinematics approach. All basic features like Root Motion, Animation Events,... are included.

With UMotion Professional you’re able to import and edit animations created in external applications (including motion capture animations). With the Inverse Kinematics and the Child-Of constraint you can create good looking animations even faster.

The price for UMotion Professional isn’t fixed yet, but I want it to be affordable for indie developers and hobbyists.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Mark_01, krougeau, LoDx and 6 others like this.
  22. Malbers

Malbers

AMAAAAZING!!!!!

Even though I will be buying the full version!! ;);)

23. vivalavida

vivalavida

[Deleted] - Question was not relevant in this thread :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
  24. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    vivalavida likes this.
  25. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hello guys,
    I have exciting news today! :cool:

(Häh? What's UMotion? UMotion Trailer)

I'm going to release a Beta version of UMotion. Join the Beta and get UMotion Professional before everybody else and for FREE once it is released on the Asset Store.

The Beta test is planned from 12th to 20th of August.

If you want to participate write a short post in this thread answering the following questions:
    • Why are you the right choice for becoming UMotion Beta Tester?
    • How much experience do you have with creating animations (in other applications)? Please be honest. I'm also looking for people with little experience.
    • Do you have a Mac or Windows PC (or both)?
    On Saturday the 12th of August I will select 4 people based on their posts. The idea is to get a good mix of people with different experience.

Good luck and I'm looking forward to work with you :)

Edit: Please tell me if you are a Mac or Windows user (please edit existing posts). Sorry forgot that in the original post...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    Malbers likes this.
  26. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

Okay, I'm submitting to this beta test.

I think that I'm a right guy to choose because I have quite an experience of testing different assets and plugins for unity. I test them on diffirent builds, configurations, hardware and other stuff. Not to mention that I'm excited to see what this plugin can do, mostly because I am in process of making a short film inside Unity.

I have some experience of animating in blender and maya (though I mostly stick with blender because I got used to it, I've started animating 4 years ago), also worked with Skele for unity. I know all main aspects of animating (IK, FK, Character Rigs, Constraints, etc.), but I definitely can't say that I am a professional animator, just a scrubby amateur.

27. OrtakHesap

OrtakHesap

I'm submitting to this too but ...

I think I should be the last guy on the beta candidates, because I am semi busy at that time and I have near to no experience about animations, so if you want to know why I am submitting I have a friend that has some experience with animations and we may look into it together, it can be useful at our own project and I can give you feedback after some time.

28. JoMaHo

JoMaHo

Hi!
    I´d like to join the beta test. I´m a film producer looking into the possibilities using Unity
    in independent film production, and I´m looking all ower the forums and asset store for tools
    that can lower the user threshold for animation with unity.

I´m myself is not experienced with animation, but I like to know what tools my crew can
    use to get the results we want for less bucks. This tool looks promising in that
    respect, both for prototyping and full production.

I´m a mac user.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  29. Mika_Do

Mika_Do

Hey Peter!

Good to see you finally started beta testing!

I'd like to submit to the beta test to see what you have been working on! I am pretty good at animating in blender and I have worked some time with maya too. I'm currently working on an RPG game and since I'm still using placeholder animations, I think this would be the perfect occasion to try out your asset! I know how much of a struggle it is to animate in blender and having to export all the time when doing minor modifications. I've been following your updates and I would love to see what you have to offer to make this more convenient and easy to use. I am currently looking for a job, and I'm not expecting to find anything before september so I have plenty of time to test your asset. Hit me up if you're interested !

Michael

30. KYL3R

KYL3R

I want to participate in the Beta and be a tester.
    I use a mixture of bought assets/animations (that I want to extend/fix partially) and some self-made blender fbx models with animations.
    I have small issues with the bought animations (feet sometimes cripple) and I need a few custom animations. I could not create those with blender, because exporting to blender and re-importing to unity somehow broke everything (although the animation preview works). It would be easy to do this simple tasks in Unity, but it errors me "... for humanoid rig is not supported" - I really feel like Unity should provide a tool as mighty as UMotion.

31. Malbers

Malbers

Hey There Petter... I would love to do some magic with UMotion.. I can test any of my next Poly Art Animals with UMotion to see what we can achieve without max or maya to animate...:).

Check my animations on my AssetStore Page :p.
    http://bit.ly/MAAssets

Cheers
    Malbers!

32. YusifJasim

YusifJasim

I'm waiting this from along time so i am going to submitting to this beta test :
    1. I've a very big project and i need to animate a lot of things but so far i did not try to use any programs because i see UMotion is my solution, so i submitting to this beta test because i will use all features in UMotion to create my animations!.
    2. So far i did not used any animation program because i using "mixamo.com" animations.
    Edit: 3. I have both Mac and Windows PC .
    In the end i have the honor to be UMotion beta test to improve this big work.
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  33. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

OMG i can't wait to test beta or even free

i'm developer i have 0 knowledge how to make animation i started to learning blender to make FPS animation.
    i watched the trailer i think it's will be better than blender

SoxwareInteractive and Malbers like this.
  34. Maqsoom123

Maqsoom123

I waiting am this from along time, so I am going to submitting a beta test.
    1. For my Game i need to animate a lot of things! UMotion is a really easy and perfect animator!
    2. I dont use any animation program as i am remastering my game from 0% to 100% i have to make a alot of animations!

3. The animator(UMotion) is really nice and looking good GUI(Graphic User Interface).
    Good Work!

Thanks
    Maqsoom(Developer of Pong Strike and Likerfield)

35. Iammnhamza

Iammnhamza

I am a self learner , youtuber /trainer ,i'm learning unity and i am also teaching Unity now a days !
    I love to do new things and this is something new and i'm willing to test it to do something amazing !

36. led_bet

led_bet

Hey Peter!

I saw your post on Reddit about the UMotion beta, and I'd like to participate!

My background is in software development, but I've always loved making 2D art for my games, but I had never made the attempt to learn 3D asset creation. Last year I began concentrating on becoming comfortable with 3D modeling, and I'm finally confident enough in my skills to move on to rigging and animating. I'm very new at this aspect of 3D asset development; I imagine UMotion would be a huge boost in accessibility for someone like me who is just now learning to animate.

I can benefit your beta test from the perspective of a new animator, but an experienced programmer. I am concise and thorough when submitting bug reports and user feedback.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

37. FelipeReis

FelipeReis

Hey Peter,
    I'd love to test it out. Ive been working as animator for 6 years now.
    heres my demo
    http://hayesworkshop.com/

Been looking for a while for a solution to tweak animation in the engine.

Thanks!

38. NoahMewes

NoahMewes

Peter this is looking like a great tool so far, nice work!

I believe I am a good pick for beta testing UMotion. I am a college student currently studying Computer Science, and am hoping to one day work on developing video games. I don't have much experience, but in the last year or so I have been making small projects in Unity to expand my knowledge.

I can benefit this Beta Test by showing the perspective of a student who has just learned Unity, but not fully mastered it. I have some experience creating and rigging 3D models in , however, animation has always been hard to me. I feel like I would be able to show what's possible as someone new to 3D animation.

Thanks a lot for this opportunity!

39. Marwan_Ayyad

Marwan_Ayyad

this plugin definitely will short my pipeline , blender to unity , especially when there is some tweeks i want to do in my animation of character or model , i am working on vr arcade game that require a lot of backs and forwards (unity , blender) , and the controller of your plugin seems like the one in blender , so i would be please to be a beta tester .

40. HideAndSeek

HideAndSeek

Hi Peter,

I am Sebastian Starke, and I'm a Ph.D. student in character animation and artificial intelligence at the University of Edinburgh, UK. I am conducting research on animation in Unity3D, and I am the developer of the BioIK asset for generic multi-objective inverse kinematics: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/67819

I'd be particularly interested in testing your tool since we are always looking for good software to become part of our research, so there's always a good chance to get cited in scientific publications in return. I have good experience in animating 2D and 3D models using the typical animation tools, but also entirely through code. However, I've found it rather clumsy to generate animations right inside Unity3D using the existing tools, so I'd love to see your asset easing this process! I also think I could be helpful in case I find some bugs, since I did my B.Sc. and M.Sc. (distinction) studies in Informatics, and as I am having a strong background in 3D maths which is essential for animation. Finally, as I've been publishing in the Asset Store as well, I believe to be aware of what customers like or would wish to have :)

Let me know if you're interested in me testing UMotion :)

Cheers!
    Sebastian

41. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

I'm very much into procedural animation, so I'd love to mess around with extending the system.

I have a small amount of animation experience. I mostly did hand-drawn frame-by-frame animation.

42. CarbonConcept

CarbonConcept

• Why are you the right choice for becoming UMotion Beta Tester?
    - I`m experienced game animator and short cinematic video maker for games. I`m researching how to use Unity for short advertising clips - for games and products. I`m Cinema 4D user and AE but I see Unity as faster and more cost effective tool - if someone provide the right Animation editor in it.
    • How much experience do you have with creating animations (in other applications)?
    • Unity animations :

Experience with Cinema4D short products/processes showcases

Sign me up for the beta and I wish to do some tutorials if the plugin is that good and I start use it.

43. elinbasol

elinbasol

Well I'm an enthusiastic "game developer" I like to test everything that I can I could introduce on the development of my game, an this is why I think I would be one of the guy to test your asset, as well I don't have to many experience in animation and this is why I want to find an asset tagt make it intuitive and help me to animate.

44. WChris

WChris

As mentioned on reddit(Bahlor), I‘m highly interested, but a total animation noob :)

45. Siramest

Siramest

Hi
    I am come from the field of 3d animation. I use to work with Softimage|XSI. And I am looking for the tool to help animation work in unity.

46. mradfo21

mradfo21

hey this looks really cool. Excited to get this out of beta. Animation has never been my forte, so I dont have an embedded history of maya. But i do need to start making animations for my game. I'm mainly looking at using mo-cap for the lower half of the body and blending the upper body with custom poses for my weapons. I feel the feedback this tool could offer would be invaluable. I'm not a huge fan of assets honestly, mainly because they stop being supported rather quickly. But this really does fill a needed void for me. Can't wait to see it progress!

47. luis_cristovao

luis_cristovao

Hi, I dont like blender to do 3D animation and I want a easier tool to make animation, so that's why I should be a beta tester, although I may be occupied during the beta duration.

48. ImFromTheFuture

ImFromTheFuture

This is going to be a tough sell but wth, here goes:

I'm making an animated video complete with motion captured animations and plenty of mixamo curated stuff for a personal project and also to learn the timeline feature in the latest Unity iteration. I really do like the timeline feature and it shows a lot of promises once combined with the cinemachine but it has one flaw. It's more to do with the Animation than the timeline though.

The thing that proved challenging for me was when I had to modify a particular animation like just a little tweak and I couldn't use the existing animation system to do it because apparently key framing Humanoid animations isn't a feature provided in Unity. I had to spend hours and hours on adjusting small things and had to import and reimport animations again and again in Blender and then Unity.

This tool seems to provide a very nice solution for that and I'd love to test it out.

Oh and my experience with Unity is about a little over 2 years now. I work at a company that creates AR/VR solutions for businesses, educational institutes, entertainment and also healthcare.
    Since AR/VR requires a great deal of visual work, this tool will definitely help me get a ton of things done quickly.

Ciao.

49. alu_89

alu_89

Id love to be a beta tester i am working on some not-so-great animations of my own since im not that good,but could be of help :)

50. zrrz

zrrz

Would love to be able to get my hands on the tool as soon as possible. Working on a story driven horror game with another experienced AAA programmer.

So far our animations are all from Mixamo. I have very limited Maya animating experience, I have done it, but it takes me forever to do.

We are hoping this will allow us to refine the Mixamo animations to push that little bit of extra quality out of them. We also make extensive use of FinalIK so I'm very interested to see how well I can integrate it with uMotion.