Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets UMotion – Animation Editor [Released]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SoxwareInteractive, Jul 24, 2017.

1. ranaUK

ranaUK

Hoping there would be an introductory price

2. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @ranaUK,
    the price will be a fair deal but I don't plan to make a time limited introductory price. The price will be lower for the first versions and might raise with future updates making it more favorable for early customers :)

3. ranaUK

ranaUK

Fair enough; any idea how much it would be so I can start saving up my pennies; after brexit, buying at unity store is being painful thanks to the drop of gbp value.

4. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Sorry I don't want to announce that before the release :)

5. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hey guys,
    I recorded a new video that gives you more details about the UMotion Professional exclusive Constraint System.

Enjoy!
    I'm Looking forward to your questions and feedback :)

vamky likes this.
  6. somosky

somosky

I'm dying to know the release date of this asset. I'm getting close to being done the prototyping stages of my game and holding off on making any story content until this is released.

I'm horrible at modeling and animations but I'm well versed in mecanim and using animations I've bought or gotten from sites like Mixamo.

So for a noob animator like myself what is the workflow like in Umotion? It looks like you can rig characters inside Umotion and do any animations through it. So how long (roughly) would it take to rig a character and make a jump animation. Obviously that will change person to person but just a rough guess.

Also (and I'm aware this is more of a general Unity animation question) when i do animate something in Unity currently I animate it but am then locked into the Vector 3 that it was that the character was animated in. For example if I bring my character to 0,0,0 and then animate him him to 0,0,3 every time my character plays that animation he is moved to 0,0,0 and then animated to 0,0,3 as opposed to just adding three to the Z axis of where the character currently is. Is that something that is addressed in Umotion?

Sorry for the long post.

7. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @somosky,
    I will post here as soon as I submit UMotion to the Asset Store for its review. If everything is going well, this will happen very soon. Please not that the review usually takes another 1-3 weeks.

Rigging is not possible in UMotion. It still needs to be done in a 3D modelling application. You can extend an existing rig with additional bones but you can't skin those to the characters mesh. Those type of bones are useful for creating more complex IK rigs.
    So how fast you can animate really does depend on your skill/talent, the type of animation and the type of 3D model. So this can be anything from a few hours to a few days.

What you are looking for is called "Root Motion". This video tutorial of Unity explains it pretty well: Unity 5 - Root Motion Authoring

UMotion does support creating animations with Root Motion.

8. khos

khos

Wow, Hello Peter, this is what I have wanted in Unity for sometime! Will it be available to buy, can I try it now? I really could use this for my game!

9. somosky

somosky

Wow thank you for the Root Motion Authoring info that was a huge help. Much appreciated.

10. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion Community is going to be for free and UMotion Professional will be the paid version. The closed beta is currently coming to an end and I will soon submit UMotion to the Asset Store for review. The first post in this thread gives you a nice summary.

11. somosky

somosky

I'm checking this thread every morning hoping to see a update on the release date haha.

So what made you want to create this asset? Was it something that you needed in your day to day Unity use or just something that you thought Unity was packing?

Also I'm looking into learning about Editor Extensions and Custom Inspectors and since you are clearly very talented I was wondering if you had any recommendations on where to start learning these techniques. To give you a idea I'd like to create a Custom Inspector where I can make an Array of Game objects and then where ever I click on in the scene a random object from that array is placed there. I can write up a script to do this in play mode in 2 seconds but I'm trying to learn how to do things like this while not in play mode for quick scene/level creation.

I realize this is not about your asset and I'm sorry about that. Like I said I'm just very excited for it's release and I'm blown away by the look and functionality of your asset so I figured you might be a good person to ask. Umotion is a Day 1 buy for me.

12. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I would suggest that you sustain this daily routine at least the next 2 days and I promise you won't be disapointed :)

I was working on a game and had big issues with importing animations created in Blender. They just never imported 100% correctly and that was very frustrating. Next I tried to create the animations in Unity with some Asset Store products and the Unity Animator window which leaded to even more problems and limitations. So I decided to do write my own tool :)

I have 2 tips for you:

ranaUK likes this.
  13. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I finally did it!

After one year of development UMotion was finally submitted to the Asset Store. The Asset Store review can take 2 or 3 weeks so the estimated release will be something between 8th and 15th of September.

upload_2017-8-26_19-14-4.png

I will post here as soon as the review process was finished.

A special thanks to all beta testers, your feedback greatly improved this product!

Also thanks to everybody else who believed in this product. Your comments and likes helped me a lot and I hope that I can count on you in the future :)

14. somosky

somosky

Congrats. Very happy for you. I hope all the hard work pays off. Did you decide on a price for Proffesional?

15. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thank you :) The price will be released when UMotion finally hits stores in September. This is due to the fact that the Asset Store review team often proposes a different price based on their experience.

16. coverpage

coverpage

Don't listen to them if they ask you to price it higher lol :D

ranaUK and SoxwareInteractive like this.
  17. ranaUK

ranaUK

Any update from the store?

18. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

No response yet. I think it will take at least this whole week.

19. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

To shorten the waiting time while UMotion is pending for review, you can now watch the first video tutorials.

I just finished the first 4 videos. The tutorials are split into 2 playlists. One with general features and one with UMotion Professional exclusive features. More lessons will follow in the next days.

General UMotion Tutorials

UMotion Professional Tutorials

At the moment, the videos have no subtitles but I'm planning to add English subtitles once I finished recording all lessons. I hope my English is clear enough. (I'm no native speaker as you might have noticed ;))

Malbers likes this.
  20. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

FPS tutorial please

21. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

The tutorials explain UMotion from a generic perspective so that after going through them you will be able to use UMotion in every use case scenario, not only a specific one. Something like a series of "Best Practice" videos that highlight special use cases (like FPS) may come in the future.

xxhaissamxx likes this.
  22. sylon

sylon

Great tutorials.
    Your English is perfectly understandable and they're very detailed.
    Thanks!

23. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thank you, glad you like it!

24. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

No response yet from the Asset Store team, but I think chances are high that UMotion will be released next week. :cool:

Just uploaded 2 new tutorials covering Inverse Kinematics and the Child-Of Constraint:

I'm making good progress with the video tutorials. More to come soon.

helmers, xxhaissamxx and Malbers like this.
  25. helmers

helmers

Wow, can't wait to get my hands on it!
    Count me in as customer for the PRO version as soon as it is released.

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  26. somosky

somosky

I haven't been able to watch the tutorials yet (I'll probably wait to get my hands on the asset when it comes out to watch them). Will you be going over animation curves? For example if I'm making a jump animation for the player and it has a capsule collided on it making the capsule collided match the animation height and scale?

27. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

A tutorial about animation curves is currently in the making. When controlling the character via root motion, the capsule collider will follow the player while jumping. But the capsule collider height/scale can't be animated with the current version. I took a note in my to-do list, to support this in a future update.

Malbers likes this.
  28. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I've just uploaded the last video tutorial. The development of the first release is therefore officially finished!

upload_2017-9-13_15-56-23.png

You can watch the tutorials now:
    UMotion Tutorials
    UMotion Professional Tutorials

I'm now eagerly waiting for the Asset Store review to be finished. I really hope it doesn't take too long anymore :)

Of course the development of UMotion won't stop at this point, I already have a nice list of features that I want to implement in the future. Smaller usability updates and bug fixes will have priority for the first updates.

29. somosky

somosky

Why is Unity taking so long. I need this now haha. I'm trying to learn how to animate my main character now in Unity animation and it's very frustrating and confusing. I need this asset ASAP.

30. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

+, me too. Give us some pricing info at least, I guess.

31. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I really understand that you guys are impatient and you can trust me I'm even more but at the moment all we can do is hope that the Asset Store team will do the review next week.

As already mentioned, I don't want to announce the pricing at the moment as the review team may give some advice based on their experience. My goal is to keep it effordable for indies so the price I'm targeting is approximately in the range of new PC games ;-)

led_bet likes this.
  32. Kolyasisan

Kolyasisan

This is taking absurdly long. Never seen it to be that long.

33. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

I have just contacted the support to make sure that there have not been a technical issue with my submission.

Already working on the first update in the meantime :)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    xxhaissamxx likes this.
  34. Malbers

Malbers

With Editor Extension they took more time than models and animations and on these cases they take 2-4 weeks :(

35. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Makes sense as editor extensions are more complex to review. We will see, this week is the fourth week so chances might be high that they finish the review this week :)

36. roykoma

roykoma

37. somosky

somosky

Congrats man. I'll be checking it out when I get home.

38. Teila

Teila

Yay!! Thank you. :)

39. vamky

vamky

Bought!

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  40. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

As @roykoma already mentioned, UMotion finally arrived on the Asset Store :)

Find UMotion under the following links:
    UMotion Community
    UMotion Professional

I would be happy if you give it a try and if you have any questions, please check out the official UMotion Question&Answer.
    It's a page similar to Unity Answers where you can ask questions that will be answered by me and the UMotion community. You can post questions as guest (no need to register for an account), login via Facebook or create your personal account. The idea is to build a public knowledge base where other UMotion users can learn from.

Please note that I have created a new UMotion thread in the "Assets and Asset Store" forum:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/under-review-umotion-animation-editor.490618/

All future announcements (updates, patches etc.) will be made in that thread so make sure to watch it ;)
    Please don't use this or the new forum thread for support questions. Use the UMotion Question&Answer page mentioned above instead. This is to ensure that the threads stay clean and informative.

So thanks everybody and stay tuned for future updates :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    led_bet likes this.
  41. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Just in case you missed it:
    I have released the first episode of my new video tutorial called UMotion "In Practice".
    You are going to learn how to animate from scratch with lot's of practical tips. In this episode we will create a shooting animation for a first person shooter from start to end:

UMotion "In Practice" Episode 1 - Forum Post

Make sure to watch the new forum thread (linked above) as this one won't be updated any more in the future. I'm already working on lots of cool updates most of them requested by UMotion users. So make sure to drop in and tell me what you would like to see next.

Malbers likes this.
  42. ioane37

ioane37

Hello can you make tutorial how to animate 2 characters same time to make takedown animations .

43. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi,
    thanks for reaching out.

Here is one way how you can do this:
    1. Create an empty GameObject and attach an Animator Component to it
    2. Both characters need to be of type Generic (animating 2 Humanoids is currently not supported)
    3. Make both characters a child of the empty GameObject
    4. Create a new UMotion Project of type Generic
    5. Drag & Drop the empty GameObject to the "Select a GameObject to animate" field.
    The resulting animation needs to be played by the Animator of the empty GameObject. The empty GameObject acts as a "point of reference" and will ensure that both animations match together. Technically it would be possible to split this single animation clip into 2 separate clips but there is currently no such feature implemented in UMotion.

I'm not that happy with this workflow and I definitely want to improve here but for the time being that's the only way how it can be done.

led_bet and ioane37 like this.
  44. Lesovoy

Lesovoy

Hi!,
    Is it possible to use Child-Of Constraint to pin two hands to one gun (2 handed gun)?

45. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Lesovoy,
    thank you very much for your post.

Yes, absolutely. Of course IK would be required in combination --> what you are really trying to do is parenting the IK handle to the gun.

Here are a few things to consider:
    1. Setup IK using the IK Setup Wizard. Make sure to set the "Target Rotation" to "IK Handle" (at least for the hands). Otherwise your hand's rotation won't be parented to the gun. (This opition is enabled by default since UMotion V1.08.)
    2. After you created the IK rig, stay in Config Mode. Select the IK Handle of the second hand (usually the left hand) and in the "Constraints" tab disable "IK Pinning Mode" of the Child-Of constraint. That way you can select any parent for the IK Handle (in IK Pinning mode the parent is automatically set).
    Please watch the Video tutorials regarding IK and the Child-Of constraint to get more detailed information (you can find them in the manual's "Video Tutorials" chapter).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  46. Alexey1B

Alexey1B

Hi, not yet play enough with umotion, could you suggest workflow for case when need modify a set of animations for correct second hand place on gun?

47. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @AbelWhite,
    thank you very much for reaching out.

Please take a look at my post above yours. Basically what you typically do to place the second hand to the gun is use Inverse Kinematics for that hand and pin it to the gun. The IK Handle uses a Child-Of constraint so you can give it any desired parent (in your case the gun):

Please let me know if you have any further questions ;)

48. Alexey1B

Alexey1B

Yes, i read a post before, just i thought what it is will not only IK and target, i thought what this for create new animation, but i expected more work for modify exists one... But it is works so easy! Just ik on hands, handle parent to ik, blend to 1, select key propeties and done! Thanks, really good tool!
    By the way, question :) When i copy local position of ik (from menu of move tool) and try to paste as component values to object transform it is looks incorect, or maybe it is values of some previous copied transform, and this menu works only for copy/paste of move tool panel?

49. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Thank you very much for your nice words. I'm glad you like it :) It would mean a lot to me if you write a short review on the Asset Store (if you haven't already), that helps me continue improving UMotion :)

Copy&Paste currently only works between the UMotion windows. As a workaround, you can copy and paste each value of the input fields. I will think about this, maybe I can find a way to support copy&paste between Unity's Inspector and UMotion's Tool Assistent window. Thanks for pointing that out.

50. Gunhi

Gunhi

I'm using PRO version. Could you please make a tutorial video of "Child of" step by step the beginning? I'm quite confused of holding objects as in your sample scenes and other videos.