Search Unity

Assets UMotion – Animation Editor [Released]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SoxwareInteractive, Jul 24, 2017.

1. GeekGonzo

GeekGonzo

Hey guys! Hella excited for this so might as well throw my hat in the ring so to speak.
    • Why are you the right choice for becoming UMotion Beta Tester?
    UMotion solves a lot of issues that me and my team have faced in the past, doing in game cut scenes can be a huge trial and with a lot of back and forth between applications with trial and error... mainly error. Another thing is making really dynamic events that pop off, like a boss fight of grand scale for example.
    Me and my team are all recent graduates and are forming our own company to produce our games, through doing contract work, and our personal projects on the side, all while also tackling Honors, so anything that can make our workflow simpler is a must. Umotion is a MUST. I really want to support this, its stupid how great this is.
    • How much experience do you have with creating animations (in other applications)? Please be honest. I'm also looking for people with little experience.
    About 4/5 years throughout my studies. in which I specialized in modeling, rigging and animating. Me and my team have always focused on third person style games, which presents a variety of technical hurdles(and lots of animating, tweaking, animating rinse repeat), but I've also spent a lot of time working on non-conventional rig systems as well as regular humanoids. So things like animals, robots, things with dozens of tentacles (tentacles the bane of a riggers existence) and so forth.

Currently I am also doing my Honors research on the creation of character creation systems, and specifically the art and rigging/animation pipelines it requires.

SoxwareInteractive likes this.
  2. wadewt

wadewt

I'm pretty hyped for this tool.
    I do a lot of weird non standard stuff in unity which I feel is a good way to test edge cases for new tools. As well as just being really interesting in this tool in general. I've also given a lot of feedback to early/in development assets in the past, and like to think it's been helpful.
    • How much experience do you have with creating animations (in other applications)? Please be honest. I'm also looking for people with little experience.
    I use Blender almost exclusively for animating and all of my animating ends up in unity. I'm not sure I'd describe myself as the best animator, but I have a lot of experience rigging and creating unusual rigs. I'm quite interested in how well some more complicated rigging trials would translate to Umotion.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  3. lordubbe

lordubbe

This would be perfect for me.

I actually normally model using ProBuilder directly in the Unity editor, export the models and import/animate them in maya. UMotion seems to get me closer to having an all-Unity workflow, which interests me a lot.

I am an intermediate animator with some experience. I know my way around Maya (I've no experience with Blender).

4. csetien

csetien

I need Umotion in my life as we do not have an animator on the project. This will help us with our process greatly and we hope to help you make Umotion better + with over 15 years in QA i'm a fairly good QA to have test your product.

5. jcsopko

jcsopko

Came here from your reddit thread. I've spent a lot of time with the animation window in Unity, and I've been itching for something a little more robust, fully supported, and feature complete. UMotion looks right up my alley (and my animator's!). I'd love to provide feedback if you throw a beta my way. Keep up the good work!

6. Elzean

Elzean

Very interesting tools, would be great to give it a try.

I'm currently working on Rogue Fantasy ( http://www.indiedb.com/games/rogue-fantasy ), i'm using Timeline for cutscenes along with imported animations for characters. I'm always searching for great tools to improve my workflow and this seems like it could be one. I would also like to try to use your tool for our first person hands animations, it's not really convenient to match the camera between blender and unity to know how a first person animation will look, seems like it would be easier with this tool. I'm also a fellow publisher, you can see my package in my signature :)

I usually use blender for rig / animations using rigify, it's not my main occupation though. Here is an example:

unnamed.gif

7. Mazen286

Mazen286

I work in Local Government with GIS Systems. I'm looking for ways to automate business processes and improve current workflow. With this testing environment, I will be able to submit reports on my current status and display any of my animation efforts

Basic experience with animation in Unity

8. Dawar

Dawar

Very interesting tools would be great to give it a try.
    I am currently working fps game I need different animation for I do not know about may and other ed engine
    but this look very simple and handy

9. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Wow so many good reasons to choose everybody of you to become a beta tester. I'm really impressed by all posts and the development background of each of you. Huge thank you to everybody who has already subscribed and I'm looking forward to new submissions, there is still some time left (submissions are open till 12th of August).

Important: I totally forgot to mention that it would be useful to have at least one Mac user as beta tester. If you are a mac user, please edit your post and add that information. It might increase your chance to become beta tester. Sorry that I didn't mentioned that in the original post...

Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
    xxhaissamxx likes this.
  10. shonmonster

shonmonster

I want to be a umotion tester because I it looks very promise and very cool and can help a lot with making animations for games.

I have a little experience with animation, I'm currently using blender for making models and animations for my games.

And I have a regular PC that has windows 7.

11. uvavoo

uvavoo

Being able to do most things from within Unity is very appealing to me. For example doing small tweaks to character animations is difficult and has to be done externally in a 3d program and you have to go back and forth between applications, frustrating and inefficient. This software alleviates this prolem. I would use this software quite a lot and would try and give good, useful feedback.
    • How much experience do you have with creating animations (in other applications)?
    I have done quite a lot of animation for years. Starting on the Amiga many years ago. I am mainly a hobbyist but have done it professionally also. I work in Carrara Pro. I am currently working on a game, a couple of videos at http://vimeo.com/uvavoo
    also with a couple of animations I have done. I have used a Mac for years.

12. jeffkenz

jeffkenz

i want to try this but still beginner in rigging animation,just make affordable price for indie and u already got 1 reserve buyers ;)

13. gekidoslayer

gekidoslayer

Unity Technologies

would love to see how this works and be involved to help you make it the best tool it can be.

I think it fills a nice sweet spot between the current animation system and Timeline and I'm excited to see how it develops!

(I'm the Product Manager @ Unity for Animation & Timeline)

Mark_01, Malbers, DominoM and 2 others like this.
  14. Infectedcell

Infectedcell

Hey!
    UMotion looks very promising and I definately wish to try it right now =)))))
    So, I would like to join to beta tests to see how it will looks like within my gamedev process... if possible pls!
    Thanx in advance!

15. chaz123

chaz123

i submit this to participate for the chance to test this what i think is a game changer in terms of game dev, in the whole process of creating 3d games, animating characters ia fundamental, i think this tool has a huge potential to be integrated inside unity

i think i can be a good candidate because i work 8 hrs a day with unity in different ways, testing playing and teaching this awesome technology

16. abdulrahim66612

abdulrahim66612

cool.....
    i am in for the beta test....................:)
    hope this to be a great aid in creating animations in within unity than using any other third party sites

17. Red_Kay

Red_Kay

1. I made a FPS game for which I used Blender for animating the hand and others. I couldn't get the animations perfect as the FP camera settings in Blender were different than in Unity. I had to settle for some choppy and bad animations. That's why I would love to test this asset and help it improve further as having the ability to do those animation Unity would make them better and easy to animate
    2. I am no the best or an expert at it. I just know how to get my stuff functional.
    3. I have a PC.

18. Velikan_

Velikan_

Hi! I'm a formally educated software engineer with about 2 years of indie game development experience including 1 year using Unity. I have very little experience in character rigs and animation (more about this in the questions) but I'm looking for an all-unity workflow. I saw your post on Facebook and immediately checked out these forums.
    If you are looking for your software to be approachable by beginners, then you should consider using me. I have a very down-to-earth style of working where I'm not afraid of making mistakes. I will write down all my experiences (mishaps, successes & findings) which allows you to decide UMotion has its desired effect (on beginners).
    Very little. Truth is, I'm a programmer and never in my life I'll be creating animations for a living. Outside this beta, I'm looking to create simple animations or modify existing ones to suit my needs. Within the scope if this beta I'm going to experiment a little more but I simply cannot fully pierce this software and all of its features like an expert can. I'm here to comment about its accessibility for beginners, should you be interested in that.
    • Do you have a Mac or Windows PC (or both)?
    If I become a tester I will be using UMotion on Windows 10.

19. Rexoto-Games

Rexoto-Games

Wow this thread has really blown up since I last checked it. Hopefully theres still a chance for me to get into the beta! ;)

This is the tool I've been waiting for! Because I'm not much of an animator I do all of my animations in unity. But the unity animator leaves much to be desired(Primarily being able to select bones). This would help greatly as animating outside of unity isn't really an option because my game is a first person game with full body awareness were everything has an animation that is mostly interacting with the scene(e.g. Opening a door, turning a valve etc.) The IK feature would also be very useful as real-time IK isn't really possible on mobile.
    • How much experience do you have with creating animations (in other applications)?
    Not a whole lot. Most of my experience is in unity for various games doing very basic things like moving an object or making camera paths. Other than that I use and sometimes do small edits to animations from other people. The game I am currently working on I'm using to really try to learn more about animating. I have done about 2 full cut-scenes and 2-3 interactions so far but they will probably be redone later in development(especially if I can save IK). So far I can get decent results but unitys animator makes it harder and take longer than it needs to so I would love to be able to ge in on this beta.

20. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

As a game developer with over 10 years of experience (3-4 of which i spent in unity) and as an avid gamer, I like to push the limits of the system(s) as well as expand my knowledge in various fields. I personally run a digital magazine called IGD Sunshine Magazine in which I do asset reviews for products on the unity asset store, these sort of in depth reviews are very helpful to customers/users as well as give the creator an opportunity to receive beneficial feedback from someone who not only reviews assets on a constant basis but also someone who purchases assets and has a good feel for what is good or bad in an asset pack.
    I have very little experience creating animations although I have used Skele on the asset store to create various poses and sometimes minimal animations for characters.
    I use windows.

21. DAsap

DAsap

i think im interested!
    there are several rigs we need to fix when we change the camera pov so it will be better
    btw i use windows, thanks!

22. btalvii

btalvii

Okay, I'm submitting to this beta test.

I think that I'm a right guy to choose because I have quite an experience of testing different assets and plugins for unity. I test them on diffirent builds, configurations, hardware and other stuff. Not to mention that I'm excited to see what this plugin can do, mostly because I am in process of making a short film inside Unity.

I have some experience of animating in blender and maya (though I mostly stick with blender because I got used to it, I've started animating 4 years ago), also worked with Skele for unity. I know all main aspects of animating (IK, FK, Character Rigs, Constraints, etc.), but I definitely can't say that I am a professional animator, just a scrubby amateur.

23. beach3d

beach3d

I'd love to check out the beta test. Day job involves working with mocap and animation so I'm in motionbuilder all day. Would love to see how it compares and any new as well as lateral workflows within it. I can give it a good amount of time to test and give some results. Seems like a great step forward implementing certain tools within Unity.

24. grimofdoom

grimofdoom

I have a small amount of experience through Blender animation. I am soon to be working on a game for VR where there will be a small amount of active animations, so animations will be far better if they are more controlled (Can use more animations steps for higher quality animation- but animating in Blender is almost a little too annoying).

25. JonnylikesJazz

JonnylikesJazz

Count me in! I'm making a quite well known Tomb Raider 3 remake and I would love to see how this handles cutscene animation. I have 3 years professional animation experience in Maya, 3DS max and Motionbuilder.
    Running on Windows. :)

26. lolclol

lolclol

Ok, to be honest i am totally noob at animating stuff in other 3d software and that being said i lack the hardware requirements also to run those monstrous software in my laptop. So better stay inside unity other than minimizing and maximizing 3d software again and again. Hope you get my POV.

27. DominoM

DominoM

Given the other posts, I'm probably not. I'd be interested in testing it for adapting existing animations rather than creating from scratch. I'd also want to experiment with creating layered additive animations for a character controller idea I have.
    I've a small amount of animation experience having done sets of basic skateboard & motorbike riding in the past. These were mostly for a pose to pose system with some blended layers (such as throttle hand).
    Neither. I'm on Linux. <- probably the only reason you should consider me :)

Edit: Oh and another is I might come up with odd feature requests like an automated walk cycle balancer. This would produce a new animation from a 50% blend of a walk with a mirrored and offset by one step version of itself.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
  28. SlyTrip

SlyTrip

Um... I just want it. Can I simply pay for a beta copy now and get a code for when it's released?

DominoM likes this.
  29. spilat12

spilat12

Hello. Signing up for beta testing if possible.

Why me: Had a similar thing on my list of projects, but why do it yourself if you can help someone finish their project instead. Have education that included full production pipeline + programming, now a self-employed indie.

My XP: I tried a lot of software for animation in my student years, which included pretty much every Autodesk product under education license. As my final project, I had a similar project but with focus on mocap in Unity instead.

A year ago I switched to Blender and still use it. Extra experience with modding tools (Skyrim/Fallout).

Prefer Windows, but also have a Mac. Cheers!

Malbers and SoxwareInteractive like this.
  30. hawam

hawam

-Why are you the right choice for becoming UMotion Beta Tester?
    we are currently working in project that needs some custom animation (humanoid & machines), our animator is busy with other work , we can't use animation applications , so we want to consider using something like this.

-How much experience do you have with creating animations (in other applications)?
    none ,just unity animator

-Do you have a Mac or Windows PC (or both)?
    Windows PC

31. GraniteTopGames

GraniteTopGames

Hello. I'm also interested in beta testing this plug in.

Why are you the right choice for becoming UMotion Beta Tester?
    I am a one-man indie developer, and I'm always on the lookout for plug-ins that will save me time while producing good results. I'd likely be a good tester because I am currently in need of a faster animation solution for a project, and I generally dig way deep into new tech that I think I'll use.

How much experience do you have with creating animations (in other applications)?
    I've animated a few 2D characters using Unity's Animator/keyframes, and made a few usable loops for props in Blender, but I need to get really good at animating 3D characters for my next few projects.

I have a PC dev environment.

Thanks for your consideration. Also, great work! Looks really cool.
    Thanks!
    --Ben

32. Drust

Drust

Can you use it with avatar mask and rig

33. jediar

jediar

Hi, I would love to be a beta tester, I'm a game developer who also knows 3D modelling, rigging and animating. As of now I use blender for my models and animations :)

I'm always interested to early access and beta testing just like I do on Windows (I'm a Windows Insider) and also Android Apps that's still on beta. I wouldn't mind troubleshooting because that's what a beta tester would do should a bug show up aside from just reporting a problem, I love tinkering with any product I stumble unto.

The reason behind it is I like the feeling of helping a fellow developer to improve their creations whether by suggesting, constructive criticism or feedbacks regarding their products. :)

I'm primarily using Windows as of this writing but planning to switch to Mac as primary for development purposes.

34. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Well, well... time is over :)

First of all I want to thank everybody who participated. I'm massively impressed by the huge amount of interest. I loved reading your posts and it helped me getting a pretty good idea of what people expect from UMotion and what your typical use cases will be.

The tough part was making a decision as there have been so many good reasons to choose everybody of you. So much interesting people and projects... just wow! At the end it has been a really close decision.

@mikew_unity: I'm honored and I would highly appreciate if you participate the UMotion beta team. I'm adding you as fifth person to the beta team in order to still give 4 Unity users the chance to be in the team.

I'm happy to announce the names of the 4 people I have chosen:
    A huge thank you to everybody who participated and congratulations to all the winners!

@mikew_unity, @jediar, @Mika_Do, @Malbers, @HideAndSeek:
    Please send me your email address (via PM) so that I can email you the UMotion Beta - Unity Package. Expect to receive it tomorrow (around midday GMT). I will also start a PM-Conversation with the whole Beta team providing further details. This can also be used for beta related discussions.

Malbers likes this.
  35. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

UMotion generates the *.anim file and you can use all Animator features (including avatar masks, state blending,...) as you would do with any other animation.

Thanks for your interest. I don't want to sell something not 100% finished so please be patient. The official release is not so far away :)

36. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

did u put release date ? i can't wait to see more videos or to try it

37. Drust

Drust

I didn't quite get it. Is it free or not? it is 12 August and it is not available in the asset store. please help and clarify.

38. red2blue

red2blue

You just need to read post #1 and #25. From 12th till 20th is a closed beta for 4 user (post #84). There will be a free community version and a paid pro version. Release is "not so far away" ;)

39. Oggiwoggi

Oggiwoggi

I am a one-man team dev, and this asset would make development a lot easier for me. I also like to participate in betas in order to help people find bugs and provide feedback, as everyone gains from an asset being as good as it possibly can be. I will gladly pay for this asset when it comes out, I just like contributing with any opinion I might come up with during the development time. The asset is looking really quite usefull.

I am currently, honestly, pretty inept when it comes to animations. I know how to do them in blender, and have done some simple animations. What I am hoping to gain from this tool is a nice and easy workflow inside of unity. This means for me that I can focus on this part specifically and hopefully improve. As of today I am, like previously mentioned, completely inept.

I develop on both, usually the same games as well. Getting this tool on my mac would be a dream, because it means that I can have my entire development toolkit inside of unity.

If you want to check out my work you can visit my:
    Webpage: https://octosquid62.wixsite.com/portfolio
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/OctoSquid62
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjRHQwmGpu32FrRxxPVrS-A

Good luck with the asset! Looking incredible so far and I'd love to see what becomes of it in the future!

40. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

No there is no real release date as it will depend on how good the beta phase is performing. More videos will follow :)

@OctoSquid: Thanks for your submission. Unfortunately you are a little bit too late, the winners have been already announced as you can see in post #84. You have some pretty nice projects :)

Drust and xxhaissamxx like this.
  41. Drust

Drust

i would love to use this new feature in my game. Because I am developing a huge game and I want to create animation for my character, and this can not be done easily without an internal bone editor. I need this.

42. Drust

Drust

Can we get Umotion for free or not?

43. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hi @Drust, glad you like UMotion. UMotion Community will be free for everybody (see post #21).

44. Dawar

Dawar

yes I am mac user

45. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hey guys,
    as promised I'm proud to present a new video. It will spotlight a more technical aspect:

Euler Angels
    vs Quaternions and why I have implemented a third mode that combines the positive aspects of both.

Hope you like it. I'm looking forward to any questions and/or feedback :)

Mark_01, Malbers and xxhaissamxx like this.
  46. xxhaissamxx

xxhaissamxx

Can u please make video for FPS animation

47. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

@xxhaissamxx: I'm currently very limited in time due to the ongoing beta and the release coming closer and closer. But there are some scenes with first person hands and a pistol in this video:

When the game camera is placed correctly, you can even use the game view to preview the animation from the correct first person perspective while animating.

48. somosky

somosky

Could you do me a favor and just release this now. It looks fantastic. I hope the beta goes well and we can get this soon. I'd love to try this out as soon as possible.

49. ranaUK

ranaUK

Looking forward to it: got a bunch of mocap data to edit, but been putting it off lack for an editor that I like. Any idea on release date?

50. SoxwareInteractive

SoxwareInteractive

Hey guys,

thanks for your nice kind of words. The beta is doing pretty well. Lots of small workflow improvements that have been suggested by the beta team and of course also lots of bug fixes.
    I've added a "Auto Key" feature for example (a suggestion by @Malbers), that when enabled creates keys for all modifications you do on the pose automatically so that you don't have to create the keys manually. Resulting in a faster work flow.

I will let you know when I submit the first official release to the Asset Store (for review). From the current point of view, this will be very soon. The review will add additional 1 - 3 weeks until it is published. I will use that time to create a series of video tutorials.