Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. joncrzo

joncrzo

Hi,

Would this also work for a 2D Platformer? If yes, would it need modifications or would it work right out of the box?

Thank you.

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.82 [released 2017-07-26]
    • FaceCamera: only enabled while visible to improve performance with huge amounts of entities
    • NetworkProximityCheckerCustom: layer mask added to SphereCast to only check the Player layer. Greatly improves peformance with huge amounts of entities. Make sure to assign the correct layer in the Inspector when upgrading.
    • Physics Collision Matrix: IgnoreRaycast layer only collides with Player layer now to make sure that AggroAreas don't do any unnecessary casts. Greatly improves performance with huge amounts of entities too.
    • Entity.Update: moved check into separate IsWorthUpdating function.
    • Entity.IsWorthUpdating is used in Monster.LateUpdate to improve performance with huge amounts of entities.
    • Delete AggroArea layer because it's not used anymore

I think I answered you in the uMMORPG 2D thread already

3. camta005

camta005

Nice update. Looks like you've been doing some stress testing ;)

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

Someone else tested large amounts of monsters and notified me about some performance issues.

5. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

With all the updates i lost the overview about ummorpg a little.
    Can i do everything what ummorpg 2D with ummorpg just in 3D?

6. mischa2k

mischa2k

Pretty much yes. Should be 95% the same code.

7. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

Hello uMMORPG users,
    Im now releasing the first wave of Addons on my little shop. Unity asset store will take another 3 weeks. There is no price difference, although I only accept PayPal for the moment.

Click the images to go directly to my shop page.

• Copyright by Tobias (Fhizban) - no permission to share or give away
    • Tested under MacOS, Windows and Linux Dedicated Server.
    • Get all my Addons here: http://shop.critical-hit.biz
    • Contact me via contact[at]critical-hit.biz or on Discord Fhizban#0686
    • Discord Support Channel: https://discord.gg/JWMjBFC

BackwoodsGaming and joncrzo like this.
  8. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: we desperately need some HLAPI improvements. I have been talking about this for the last two years and I am tired of waiting. I started compiling a custom HLAPI version. So far I fixed the Readstring out of ranges bug and I increased the SyncVar limit from 32 to 64. More infos will come soon.

9. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: here we go: HLAPI Pro! I recommend any uMMORPG developer to use it - bug fixes for free.

10. aranthel09

aranthel09

You should be hired as a Unity employee. They could use benefit a lot by having you in their UNET team (hope that it doesn't become a duo, including you. That would explain a lot why UNET is so slowly developed...)

11. SirTwistedStorm

SirTwistedStorm

How difficult is it to use another controller with this asset and still use all of it's features? Has anyone switched the default controls for Opsive's third person controller?

12. camta005

camta005

Excellent news Vis2k, this is badly needed.

mischa2k likes this.
  13. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: next version submitted for review.
    V1.83 [in development]
    • Upgraded to Unity 2017.1.0p2 for important UNET fixes
    • Entity Awake: removed outdated comment
    • Entity: added virtual Start function, Monster and Player use override for theirs
    • Entity.Start disables animator if isClient is false. Greatly increases server performance.
    • UIShowTooltip: always updates tooltip text to make sure that swapped out items' tooltips are shown immediately
    • Utils.GetMethodsByPrefix uses built-in KeyValuePair now. Removed Pair workaround
    • Player.CmdUseInventoryItem: added OnUseInventoryItem hook

Will see about that haha

Difficult. Any movement controller that you want to use needs to work over the network. Alternatively you use local player authority and attach a NetworkTransform - then you can use any controller but cheating would be possible.

SirTwistedStorm likes this.
  14. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.83 [released 2017-08-04]
    • Upgraded to Unity 2017.1.0p2 for important UNET fixes
    • Entity Awake: removed outdated comment
    • Entity: added virtual Start function, Monster and Player use override for theirs
    • Entity.Start disables animator if isClient is false. Greatly increases server performance.
    • UIShowTooltip: always updates tooltip text to make sure that swapped out items' tooltips are shown immediately
    • Utils.GetMethodsByPrefix uses built-in KeyValuePair now. Removed Pair workaround
    • Player.CmdUseInventoryItem: added OnUseInventoryItem hook

camta005 and cioa00 like this.
  15. cjoo

cjoo

Hello every one
    I have make a turn based combat sytem (like pokemon ) with UI. But now i want to make a turn based combat sytem for every combat (3D). Like "Fire emblem" , "Dofus" , etc . But i dont know how to do that with ummorpg and unet. I have made a lot of test but that's doesn't work. That's why i post this message, i juste want to know if someone have made this "add-on" , i can buy it of course no matter what the price lol.

16. mischa2k

mischa2k

17. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

I test the uMMORPG 2D Asset the combat system looks very ugly, it is possible to intigrate a combat system who is more dynamik like secret of mana for example ?

18. mischa2k

mischa2k

It comes with the full source code, so of course you can change anything that you don't like. But you do need to know how to do that - so Unity/C#/UNET knowledge would help.

19. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: doing some stress testing with uMMORPG + HLAPI Pro today. Running through a herd of 1000 Monsters works perfectly smoothy without any issues:

Hitch42 likes this.
  20. auhfel

auhfel

How easy would that be to do? I'm a pretty good coder and have been using Unity for a couple years now, and am comfortable coding in it although I've done little uNet.

Lemme rephrase question--What could I rip from this and use across any game? Say if I didn't like any of the control schemes, cared little for the quest style, etc... apart from that templatey stuff, what does this asset do for me? I'm considering buying it to bypass learning more uNet and server stuff.. but if I want to re-implement a lot of things like quests, inventory, movement, etc, is buying this really going to save much time? Will I still have to learn a lot of uNet?

21. mischa2k

mischa2k

The thing about networking is that it's difficult to get right. There are so many things that can go wrong, so much state, local clients, other clients, server mode, host mode, etc. What uMMORPG is a template that gets all of these things right. You can rip parts out and use them in other games if they use UNET, but I'd strongly advise against that for your sanity. It will be much less stressful to build on top of uMMORPG. Removing the quest system is not very difficult. Same for the movement or combat. It will be much less stressfull to remove one part, do all the research on UNET, then implement a replacement for that part.

If you start from zero then there will be a million things that will go wrong - check out the changelog on the first page to see what awaits you. A lot of these things were only found thanks to the hundreds of people who use uMMORPG every day. So you will definitely get stability, which is priceless.

22. auhfel

auhfel

I decided to go ahead and take the plunge. I'm taking your word for it that it's coded very well.. lol. I hope it really is easy to model after -- other assets like Third Person Controller are written very well, but not very easy to follow. I really hope this isn't that =D

23. mischa2k

mischa2k

You won't be disappointed, simplicity is the #1 design goal for uMMORPG.

24. barbugamer

barbugamer

have UNET resolve this problem?

IndexOutOfRangeException: ReadString() too long: 44204
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader.ReadString () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkReader.cs:303)
    Entity.OnDeserialize (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader reader, Boolean initialState)
    Monster.OnDeserialize (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader reader, Boolean initialState)
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkIdentity.OnUpdateVars (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader reader, Boolean initialState) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkIdentity.cs:746)
    UnityEngine.Networking.ClientScene.ApplySpawnPayload (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkIdentity uv, Vector3 position, System.Byte[] payload, NetworkInstanceId netId, UnityEngine.GameObject newGameObject) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/ClientScene.cs:481)
    UnityEngine.Networking.ClientScene.OnObjectSpawnScene (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkMessage netMsg) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/ClientScene.cs:597)
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkConnection.HandleReader (UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkReader reader, Int32 receivedSize, Int32 channelId) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkConnection.cs:468)
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkConnection.HandleBytes (System.Byte[] buffer, Int32 receivedSize, Int32 channelId) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkConnection.cs:424)
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkConnection.TransportRecieve (System.Byte[] bytes, Int32 numBytes, Int32 channelId) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkConnection.cs:576)
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkClient.Update () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkClient.cs:735)
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkClient.UpdateClients () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkClient.cs:950)
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkIdentity.UNetStaticUpdate () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Extensions/Networking/Runtime/NetworkIdentity.cs:1073)

25. mischa2k

mischa2k

I fixed it myself. Use HLAPI Pro: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/unet-hlapi-pro-taking-unet-to-the-next-level.425437/

KarlGG likes this.
  26. JarperTheWolf

JarperTheWolf

27. mischa2k

mischa2k

Anything that you want to integrate needs to work with UNET, because uMMORPG is built on top of UNET.
    But you can cheat a little bit - if you enable local player authority and add a NetworkTransform component then you can use most regular movement controllers. But that allows cheating, so it depends. For example, I do this in my VOXL asset because it doesn't really matter if people cheat there.

28. legoog

legoog

Hello! thank you for uMMORPG asset and eBook.

I have question:
    It is hard to make launcher for game with uMMORPG? (launcher will be used for updates)
    If somebody can provide examples be great.

29. mischa2k

mischa2k

I recommend itch.io/refinery . I would use that for my own game too, it's like an open steam clone.

30. Teila

Teila

This looks great. I have always wondered though how a multiplayer game would work on Itchio and Game Jolt. I get Steam, but not the others.

I am not the coder on our team so bear with me. :) So, my guess is that we are able to publish the game there but the players would log into our server, whether it be our own private server for testing or a cloud server later. Is that how it works? Itchio Refinery would be the front end that would allow players to login to the game.

Also, can one do subscription based games on these platforms, like Itchio or Game Jolt? I see only one time payments and nothing about a monthly fee or donation scheme. I suppose one could use a store front in the game to buy or donate.

I would love to hear how others are handling this. We are not making a freemium game, but may use donations or a low monthly payment for extras in game. Because we making a niche game, this may work for us.

31. cjoo

cjoo

Hello ,
    When i try to launch my headless on my server i have this error message :
    Set current directory to /root
    Found path: /root/testOVH.x86_64
    Mono path[0] = '/root/testOVH_Data/Managed'
    Mono config path = '/root/testOVH_Data/Mono/etc'
    Player data archive not found at `/root/testOVH_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem
    Aborted

I can't launch my game cause on my terminal i have the message "Aborted"

My server is an Ubuntu Server 16.04 and i have try with the 17.04 but i have the same error message
    My version of unity is 2017.1.0f3

When i launch locally that's work fine ... Any one got a solution ?

32. mischa2k

mischa2k

Linux worked a couple of weeks ago just fine. Does it happen in a fresh uMMORPG project?
    Does it happen with Unity 5.6? I think this one definitely worked.

33. mischa2k

mischa2k

Zones Progress: I finally fixed the UNET bug that stopped us from having zones. Posted a new zones test version in our discord channel, seems to work so far.

Zones are difficult, so this will remain a test version for a few more weeks. They also rely on HLAPI bugfixes that only exist in my HLAPI Pro library, so I can't make them part of the official source code just yet.

But at least we have a working zones prototype now. If anyone wants to try it, come to our discord!

34. Dhoren

Dhoren

Hi, still very new to uMMORPG. By Zones do you mean multiple scenes?

35. Dhoren

Dhoren

I just got a door to open and close using animations. After playing around with it and reading docs I learned that I can either call a method with a [Command] attribute to animate the doors using NetworkIdentity or I can use a SyncVar Hook. Is relying on a SyncVar hook less efficient that calling a a method with a [Command] attribute if I have many doors in my scene? My thoughts are if I have 100 doors then 100 instances of a SyncVar would have to be checked for changes. Please advise ;)

36. mischa2k

mischa2k

One scene per server instance yes.

You should probably use a SyncVar bool open variable

37. SierraAlpha

SierraAlpha

Great respect to the author. Than it reminds lineage2. It is very interesting whether such a server can work with 1000 online.

38. mischa2k

mischa2k

Thanks. CCU depends on your world size and player density. We do have an experimental Zones addon now, so splitting the world between multiple server instances is now possible and allows for more CCU.

Teila likes this.
  39. Old_Wolf

Old_Wolf

I was thinking, couldn't we just use a system like the aggro area 'collider' but larger? Upon entering the zone 'collider', it could update a 'CurrentZone' variable, change the minimap name, and even fade between two skyboxes.

And have you thought about sending a copy of your asset to TheMessyCoder on Youtube? He's doing some great stuff with Ultimate Survival, some fantastic tutorials, and his product reviews are great.

BackwoodsGaming and Teila like this.
  40. mischa2k

mischa2k

In theory yes. In practice the player would disappear from the previous zone immediately after connecting to the new zone, so other players around him would be really confused each time.

Will think about youtube.

41. mischa2k

mischa2k

Update:
    V1.84 [released 2017-08-30]
    • Pathfinding Iterations per Frame increased from 100 to 5000. Now modifiable in a new component on the NetworkManager
    • Warrior base offset adjusted so that indicator is shown properly when selecting the warrior
    • Updated documentation

FS_Artsy likes this.
  42. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

uMMORPG Update time!

In general, all my AddOns are compatible with uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 and 1.8.4 and Unity 2017

So, it is SAFE to update your projects to uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4 when using my AddOns.

If you update from 1.8.3 to 1.8.4 you do NOT have to update all AddOns, they should
    work out of the box. I adjusted all versions on my shop page and updated NuCore for
    correctness.

Several AddOns require re-install, the following steps are required:

* After updating uMMORPG you need to re-install several AddOns.
    * All AddOns using GUI elements: Add the GUI elements to the canvas again if they are missing.
    * When using the FreeInfoBox: Add the InfoBox component back to your player prefabs.
    * When using SimpleDailyReward: Add the DailyReward component back to your player prefabs.
    * When using NuCore, update the files in the NuCore ReplacementScript folder.

Known Issues:

* The FreeFriendlist is still quite bugged. Will be updated later, is a bit on the backburner
    as I give priority to my paid AddOns first.

* Both the Sanctuary, PvPRegions and the Damage Floor tend to send too many messages to the
    local player. This is merely a glitch, not a bug.

* The SimpleAttributes AddOn is missing a few new features that will be added soon. This is
    not a bug.

Full Critical-Hit! AddOn list:

NuCore (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/nucore/

All AddOns that require NuCore, require uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4 as minimum version as well.

SimpleBoosters (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simpleboosters/

FreeResetAttributes (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/freeresetattributes/

SimpleStamina (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simplestamina/

FreeInfoBox (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/freeinfobox/

FreeWindowPositions (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/freewindowpositions/

SimpleAttributes (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simpleattributes/

SimplePvPRegions (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-pvp-regions/

SimpleUsageLimits (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-usage-limits/

SimpleResistances (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-resistances/

FreeItemStats (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/free-itemstats/

SimpleLootcrate (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-lootcrate/

FreeInstantObject (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/free-instant-object/

FreeFriendlist (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/free-friendlist/

Attention - this AddOn is still bugged (not adding/removing/updating friends properly etc.)

SimpleDatabaseCleaner (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-databasecleaner/

SimpleTimegate (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-timegate/

SimpleDailyRewards (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-daily-rewards/

FreeDestroyOnServer (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/free-destroyonserver/

FreeInvisibleInfoBox (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/free-invisible-info-box/

SimpleTeleport (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-teleport/

SimpleSanctuary (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-sanctuary/

SimpleExploration (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-exploration/

SimpleDamageFloor (uMMORPG 3d 1.8.3 - 1.8.4)
    http://shop.critical-hit.biz/product/simple-damage-floor/

mischa2k likes this.
  43. Old_Wolf

Old_Wolf

Nice work Fhizban. Please send me the password for the nuCore :) Reg'd user here.

44. cjoo

cjoo

It happen in Unity 5.6 too ...

45. mischa2k

mischa2k

And does it happen in a fresh uMMORPG project right from the asset store?

46. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

@Old_Wolf:

I require your purchase receipt via email (contact@critical-hit.biz)

Alternatively you can reach me on the uMMORPG discord server, if you are a verified member you can get the password there.

Thanks in advance, i dont share core modifications with a unverified public.

47. xxjonson

xxjonson

I test the multi scene and i work, but i get this warning, is this normal :

processing queued message: 10 str=ObjectSpawnScene
    UnityEngine.Networking.NetworkIdentity:UNetStaticUpdate()

i use unity 2017.1.0.p2 and used the hlapi pro experimental the latest one.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  48. Dhoren

Dhoren

Hi vis2k,

I'm having a weird issue with my project and hoping you can think of what might be causing it. I recently purchased uMMORPG and one of the things I wanted to implement is animated doors. The doors open and close with no issues.

I started making a small dungeon with doors connecting rooms etc. I baked the navigation mesh and can see the path it creates through the doors.

Here's the issue:
    1. Server & Play -> Login: Player can open doors and walk through them no problem.
    2. Client->Login: Player can open doors and walk through them no problem.

3. Server only
    4. Client->Login: Player can open doors but cannot walk through them.

5. Server & Play -> but do NOT Login
    6. Client->Login: Player can open doors but cannot walk through them.

Based on 1 through 6 a player merely has to be logged into the Server for any client to be able
    to walk through open doors. If no player is logged into the server then clients cannot walk through doors.

I am using [SyncVar] public bool isOpenDoor;

CmdToggleDoor is called when I click on a door.

I am displaying the value of isOpenDoor to the chat window so I can see that it is maintaining it's value after animating a door open or closed.

Here's my code:
    [Command]
    public void CmdToggleDoor(NetworkIdentity doorIdentity)
    {
    GameObject doorParent = NetworkServer.FindLocalObject(doorIdentity.netId);
    Door door = doorParent.GetComponent<Door>();
    door.isOpenDoor = !door.isOpenDoor;
    RpcToggleDoor(doorIdentity.netId, door.isOpenDoor);
    }

[ClientRpc]
    void RpcToggleDoor(NetworkInstanceId netId, bool isOpen)
    {
    GameObject doorParent = ClientScene.FindLocalObject(netId);

if (doorParent != null)
    {
    Door door = doorParent.GetComponent<Door>();
    Animator animator = doorParent.GetComponent<Animator>();

if (isOpen)
    {
    animator.SetTrigger("Open");
    }
    else
    {
    animator.SetTrigger("Close");
    }
    }
    }

It behaves as if the doors are all closed when no player is logged into the server even though the bool value and animations are correct on the clients.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
  49. mischa2k

mischa2k

That's fine. It's my HLAPI Pro workaround to the scene switching bug. You want to see this message.

That code is really hard to read mate

50. Dhoren

Dhoren

Are you also Visk2k? I got a request for my order number from visk2k as opposed to vis2k.

And visk2k sent me a conversation saying that yes he is vis2k and wanted me to send him the .unitypackage file. LoL.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017