Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

uMMORPG Official Thread

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by mischa2k, Dec 29, 2015.

1. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: added a showcase to the website: https://ummorpg.net/showcase/ . If anyone wants to share their project, please send me the screenshots and the game title. I can also add a link to your project if you want to!

Would have to test instantiating thousands of arrows first and see how that influences the tick rate. Will put it on my ToDo list!

SkyLimitStudio and shamsfk like this.
  2. stuepfnick

stuepfnick

What I meant, is that the CameraMMO Script has:
    Public Float yMinAngle
    Public Float yMaxAngle

Just thought, it should be xMinAngle and xMaxAngle, because you limit the camera rotation around the X-Axis with this values and not around the Y-Axis - also in the Inspector it is about the X-Angle of the Transform Rotation of Main Camera. It's not really important, because it causes no bug/warning or anything and maybe you have another philosophy for choosing that name, but in my logic it should be xMinAngle and xMaxAngle.

3. mischa2k

mischa2k

Good morning everyone! uMMORPG is still on sale, grab it while you can: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/51212

Oh you are right, nice find! Will be renamed in the next version.

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: V1.70 was submitted for review:
    • Player.OnLevelUp hook added for addons
    • Extensions.FindObserver removed, replaced with onlinePlayers[name] everywhere
    • Updated documentation
    • Camera yMin/MaxAngle renamed to xMin/MaxAngle
    • UI Scripts are now partial and provide Update hooks for addons

5. Buzzlebot

Buzzlebot

So I've upgraded (am upgrading) to the latest version of ummorpg but now my scripts that are attached to assets, are not working and no matter what I've done to fix it, nothing is working. now I know there's probably something really simple that I haven't done, but I don't know what. I have provided image showing the problem.

Attached Files:

6. gghitman69

gghitman69

@Buzzlebot see your console error
    one of your script are a error or more
    doubleclick on the error console

mischa2k likes this.
  7. Buzzlebot

Buzzlebot

Turns out that I (somehow) moved my Prefabs folder. All is working now, thanks for your help.

8. mischa2k

mischa2k

Great to hear!

9. SkyLimitStudio

SkyLimitStudio

I really need an answer to that question too. I'm using the instantiation for a thousand objects atm. Not only arrows. I tested it out maximum with 100 and no problems occurred but if this happens with thousands, i don't know what will happen. I have a problem where monster show on server (moving monsters that have a goal) but they are on different location and they just teleport to there. This might be connected to the fact that I make them find another path real time. Do you have any idea why finding new path on the nav mesh might make them show their texture on wrong places on the server ? When i see a monster and click on it I start to run to his real location, not where his texture is.

10. mischa2k

mischa2k

Does this happen in a fresh uMMORPG project too?
    Unity is pretty fast, even 1000 arrows shouldn't be that big of a deal yet.

11. shamsfk

shamsfk

1000 arrows probably won't but please count all the FX Instantiated and Damage Popups and all sorts of thing of those kinds. So single shot of an arrow is responsible for at least 2 Instantiates and 2 Destroys in a fresh project, and 3+ in a real one.

There are 2 aspects to this - costs of Instantiate/Destroy themselves, and all the garbage that approach produces (mind the dumbest kind of a GC Unity has).

12. shamsfk

shamsfk

@vis2k
    Is there any public roadmap for the uMMORPG?
    Why am I asking - we are currently prototyping a lot, but soon it will be the time to commit to one idea and we will lock ourselves with a version of Unity and version of a uMMORPG, so it would be very useful to see a roadmap to properly decide with a version to go on with.

13. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

@shamsfk I don't see a reason for locking to a uMMORPG version at all. You can keep updating the version you use AND keep your own modifications as well, if you incorporate all changes manually . A well organized Git repo is your friend!

Regarding the 1000 arrow issue: I think FX and damage popups are only created client side and within a certain network proximity.

Personally I think other performance issues are far more important: If you slam your project with 2GB of assets, the scene will become slow - even though unity uses occlussion culling and network proximity. It's the sheer amount of models & textures that takes it down (although I do not know how unity handles that aspect). I have heard from people here who have to cope with large scenes and a large number of assets, and it even slows down on high-end computers. But thats not vis2k's vault :)

14. shamsfk

shamsfk

Oh, that's nice to know! Maybe I overstated the importance of pooling this time. (I can't believe I'm saying this - pooling is a must like always))

Thankfully it isn't our case as we are making location-based world with teleports between isolated scenes (using Master Server).

Git + Unity is a pain, we used it for years and it never was good. I really hope for a Collaborate to mature into something truly useful.
    As for locking - it looks almost unavoidable at this point. We have to make ALOT of modifications and the add-on thing can be used in a far less than a half of the cases (it can be used much more but with so many complications it becomes a complication itself, so we consider removing it altogether to keep code consistent).
    It is true that we can merge some changes manually thou.

15. rickcollette

rickcollette

Would you be able to maybe create a doc or howto on setting this up with uMMORPG? There are a lot of folks who would be interested in this... maybe post over on https://ummorpg.net/ ?

16. mischa2k

mischa2k

Next features will be: new warrior model, skinned mesh equipping.

If you want pooling, I suggest some kind of Pooling.Instantiate/Destroy function that replaces the ones for projectiles etc., and then let the Pooling class take care of the rest.

17. shamsfk

shamsfk

I take my words back. Addons ARE indeed very useful and plainly awesome to have. You still can't achieve lots of things without modifications to the main file (which turned me off at first from the whole system), but removing any possible bloats from already huge files is dope and very welcome!

mischa2k likes this.
  18. cjoo

cjoo

Hello ,
    I have the error "IndexOutOfRangeException: NetworkReader:ReadBytes out of range " while my version of my game on the server is the same for my client. After , i have rebuilded my game and everything worked again. Then i stoped and re launched my game and the error was reappear . Anyone kwow how can i fix this bug ? I have unity 5.0 i have to upgrade unity ? I saw that the bug was reported ( issue id 786248 )
    I have the warning "NetworkManager detected a script reload in the editor. This has caused the network to be shut down."
    is it related ? Thanks you ...

19. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

@cjoo the shut down notice is not important, just restart the game via "play". it only occurs when you changed scripts before saving/restarting the game.

the other issue is most likely because you compiled the server at a different time than the client. you should always compile both of them. there seems to be a checksum that can cause that error. always make sure to re-compile both at the same time.

20. cjoo

cjoo

thanks for helping me ! But i compiled the server and i launched my client just after ( one hours after because i have to upload the server). I don't understand how can i compile in the same time ?

21. mischa2k

mischa2k

Hey. I think I answered you via email a minute ago?
    For anyone else: this is a UNET bug, I reported it an enternity ago here: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...lash-readbytes-out-of-range-errors-in-clients . Make sure to read my first comment on there too.

22. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

When do dead monsters disappear? Do they also disappear when they got loot?

Is there a way to modify this process?

What I plan to do: Spawn a monster that is already dead, with some loot on it. So the player can move close, click on it to collect loot. thats all.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  23. mischa2k

mischa2k

They disappear a few seconds after dieing. They don't really disappear though, they just hide themselves and then show themselves again a bit later with full health.

24. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: playing around with skill effects today. Trying to plan a system that works for all situations, e.g.:
    • Projectiles
    • Fire Balls
    • Bouncing lightning strikes
    • Blood splatter effects
    Some of them have to be on the server, some of them don't. So that will be a tricky one.

xBeNjO, Ronith and Tiny-Tree like this.
  25. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

thats great !

possible scenarios that would be cool to include:
    -multiple effect on a skill like heal caster /damage target or attack + debuff target
    -possibility to buff targets friendly
    -damage/heal over time

mischa2k likes this.
  26. shamsfk

shamsfk

That is very cool! We have firewalls and balls planned on the upcoming sprint. Looks like we should wait, how soon are you planning to release it (is there any estimate)? It is always a good idea to have that kind of a system built by the architect himself) We could alternate our plans to deal with more of those targeted skills that way.

27. SkyLimitStudio

SkyLimitStudio

This happens when I try to log in with the same username and pass of already logged in player. I get this error -- NetworkManagerMMO' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.

28. mischa2k

mischa2k

No release date yet, sorry. Have to figure out the solution first.

So does it happen in a fresh uMMORPG project or not?

29. SkyLimitStudio

SkyLimitStudio

Yes it does. You have written a comment there -
    NetworkManagerMMO Script - OnServerLogin Method

""
    // note: we should disconnect the client here, but we can't as
    // long as unity has no "SendAllAndThenDisconnect" function,
    // because then the error message would never be sent.""

Is there a way to go around this bug ?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  30. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

@vis2k I'm sorry, but here are more questions:

1. Insta-Pickup Items
    When looting a monster, how can it be done that the player automatically picks-up all items available?

2. EXP Reward
    So there is a gold item that you can pickup, is the same possible for a EXP item? Please note that this it not the same as rewarded exp via kill.

Thank you!

31. Ronith

Ronith

Just make a new item like a ManaPotion. In the itemtemplate you will find "Usage Experience". This is what you are looking for i guess. add this in your favorite monster loot.

32. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

@Ronith Close but thats not what i try to achieve.

Im looking for a way to create items you can pick up by clicking on it just once. Like corpses that have some loot on them and you gain a small amount of exp when looting them.

33. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: doing more research on skill effects today.
    uMMORPG is still on sale by the way: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/51212

Does it happen in Unity 5.5? And can you tell me exactly every single step I need to do to reproduce it?

1. Maybe add a 'Grab all' button to the UI?
    2. Items have a 'usage experience' property. Try that.

34. shamsfk

shamsfk

Hi!
    I have a weird behavior I can't debug.
    Sometimes (found no exact in-game reason or moment) (one thing known - it happens only with real server-client not on local machine) Player and Monster stop their attack animations for a second or 2 while damages keep coming.
    No console errors.
    Last uMMO version, Unity 5.5, headless mode on Ubuntu server.
    Any idea to what could it be related to?

35. toloo

toloo

Do you anticipate AI development for NCP?

36. mischa2k

mischa2k

Progress: finished skill effects today. The sale seems to be over for uMMORPG, big thanks to everyone who purchased it!

Might be a state packet coming in too late, that can happen with UDP. There is no order.

Not yet.

37. toloo

toloo

Hi
    Pity but wait
    Or maybe BOSS MOB support, and more AI MOB ( different attack system)

38. shamsfk

shamsfk

It can take as much as 5 hits before animation resumes (usually 2-3-4)
    Is there a way to play attack animation independent of packets arrival with uMMORPG? What do I mean - when the attack starts animation begins and loops until some command is received. To make an illusion of continuous attack. Those pauses feel awful.

39. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

FhizMod: uMMORPG Treasure for 1.69

This script allows you to place respawnable Treasure on your map just like you place Monsters. Players can pick-up the treasure and the loot will be respawned within a certain interval. You can setup everything in the Inspector window of your unity editor. Finally, there is an "auto pickup" option that lets players pick-up the contained loot automatically, so there is no further UI interaction window required.

PS: The script was started before the Add-On system, so several core changes are required. More complex setup!

https://bitbucket.org/Fhizban/bb_fhizmod_treasure

40. shamsfk

shamsfk

Had somebody any luck to configure systemd with a headless server?

Listing below shows my last failure attempt and some additional info:

Code (CSharp):
    1. root@RombTest:/usr/bin/lin1# pwd
    2. /usr/bin/lin1
    4. root@RombTest:/usr/bin/lin1# ls -al
    5. total 26424
    6. drwxr-xr-x 3 root root     4096 Apr 25 09:11 .
    7. drwxr-xr-x 3 root root    20480 Apr 25 09:08 ..
    8. drwxr-xr-x 6 root root     4096 Apr 25 09:09 lin1_Data
    9. -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 27028144 Apr 25 09:09 lin1.x86_64
    11. root@RombTest:/usr/bin/lin1# systemctl start lin1.service
    13. root@RombTest:/usr/bin/lin1# systemctl status lin1.service
    14. ● lin1.service - Lin1 Server
    15.    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/lin1.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
    16.    Active: inactive (dead) (Result: core-dump) since Tue 2017-04-25 09:22:06 UTC; 2s ago
    17.   Process: 20077 ExecStart=/usr/bin/lin1/lin1.x86_64 -nographics (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)
    18. Main PID: 20077 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)
    20. Apr 25 09:22:06 RombTest systemd[1]: lin1.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT
    21. Apr 25 09:22:06 RombTest systemd[1]: lin1.service: Unit entered failed state.
    22. Apr 25 09:22:06 RombTest systemd[1]: lin1.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
    23. Apr 25 09:22:06 RombTest systemd[1]: lin1.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
    24. Apr 25 09:22:06 RombTest systemd[1]: Stopped Lin1 Server.
    25. Apr 25 09:22:06 RombTest systemd[1]: lin1.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
    26. Apr 25 09:22:06 RombTest systemd[1]: Failed to start Lin1 Server.
    28. root@RombTest:/usr/bin/lin1# /usr/bin/lin1/lin1.x86_64 -nographics
    29. Found path: /usr/bin/lin1/lin1.x86_64
    30. Mono path[0] = '/usr/bin/lin1/lin1_Data/Managed'
    31. Mono path[1] = '/usr/bin/lin1/lin1_Data/Mono'
    32. Mono config path = '/usr/bin/lin1/lin1_Data/Mono/etc'
    33. ^C
    34. root@RombTest:/usr/bin/lin1#
    As you can see I can run executable just fine but systemd can't.
    I'm running 64bit Ubuntu 16

And here is the config:

Code (CSharp):
    2. [Unit]
    3. Description=Lin1 Server
    5. [Service]
    6. ExecStart=/usr/bin/lin1/lin1.x86_64 -nographics
    7. Restart=always
    9. [Install]
    10. WantedBy=multi-user.target
    Then I tried removing -nographics param and that [install] thing from the config because it was left from my web server and did nothing here and got this result:

Code (CSharp):
    1. ● lin1.service - Lin1 Server
    2.    Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/lin1.service; static; vendor preset: enabled)
    3.    Active: failed (Result: core-dump) since Tue 2017-04-25 09:31:07 UTC; 1s ago
    4.   Process: 20321 ExecStart=/usr/bin/lin1/lin1.x86_64 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)
    5. Main PID: 20321 (code=dumped, signal=ABRT)
    7. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest lin1.x86_64[20321]:         /usr/bin/lin1/lin1.x86_64() [0x441d48]
    8. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest lin1.x86_64[20321]: Debug info from gdb:
    9. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest lin1.x86_64[20321]: =================================================================
    10. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest lin1.x86_64[20321]: Got a SIGABRT while executing native code. This usually indicates
    11. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest lin1.x86_64[20321]: a fatal error in the mono runtime or one of the native libraries
    12. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest lin1.x86_64[20321]: used by your application.
    13. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest lin1.x86_64[20321]: =================================================================
    14. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest systemd[1]: lin1.service: Main process exited, code=dumped, status=6/ABRT
    15. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest systemd[1]: lin1.service: Unit entered failed state.
    16. Apr 25 09:31:07 RombTest systemd[1]: lin1.service: Failed with result 'core-dump'.
    I alsa tried setting WorkingDirectore from the config and no result.
    In the end I tried every combination of configs / params yet with no luck.
    Server runs perfectly from the terminal, and don't start at all with systemd.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  41. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

@shamsfk Well, it runs smooth and flawless on my VPS (64bit Ubuntu 16 like yours).

Compiled in headless mode, after uploading it worked right out of the box. The only thing that took a bit of work was adjusting the config of the mySQL database conversion that I did.

So yes it works. And no, I can't tell you whats wrong with your setup.

42. mischa2k

mischa2k

Good morning everyone. I had another idea how to simplify my new skill effect system, so I'll do some more research there today.

You can make a boss mob already, just make it bigger and stronger.

Could you post this on the new website's addon section? https://ummorpg.net

You could try modifying the animator transitions.

43. shamsfk

shamsfk

@vis2k
    Hi! Can you please describe how do you keep uMMORPG linux server alive? I can't configure systemd, 12 hours in, no luck. Maybe there is another way or can you share your service config? Or maybe some secret sauce?)

44. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

@vis2k A few more thoughts after playing with uMMORPG for 2 weeks now:

1. If you ever do anyhting about AI, simply separate between close combat and ranged combat AI style. I think thats enough. Anything else could be done by varying the aggro area etc.

2. You should concentrate on network and server architecture (multiple scenes, multiple servers etc.) - most of the RPG systems can be done by the community already (like resource gathering - thats really easy!). But: I do welcome your new skill system!

PS: added the Treasure script to the official website as well!

45. henmachuca

henmachuca

Hello,

- Is it possible to have a character that can wield both a sword and a bow? (and of course, if wielding a bow have a ranged attack and if wielding a sword have melee attack).
    - And how would I go about to change armor pieces inside the asset? I have them already modeled and rigged withing the same prefab already.

46. mischa2k

mischa2k

https://askubuntu.com/questions/8653/how-to-keep-processes-running-after-ending-ssh-session

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes it's possible, you'd just need all the attack animations for each weapon's skill in one model. That's a lot of work.
    Skinned mesh equipping will be implemented very soon, I am still waiting for the new warrior model + equipment.

shamsfk likes this.
  47. shamsfk

shamsfk

mischa2k likes this.
  48. xBeNjO

xBeNjO

Loving the updates, Haven't been here in a while but still bossing stuff! Good work vis2k :D!

mischa2k likes this.
  49. FS_Artsy

FS_Artsy

Final Question (for a while):

What to do in order to immobilize a monster? A. movement B. attacking

There seems no easy solution, as monsters don't have "Speed" stat or anything.

50. mischa2k

mischa2k

Good morning. Seems like uMMORPG is on sale again for some reason: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/51212 . So grab it while you can I guess.

Thanks.

You can disable random movement if that's you mean. They also have a speed in the NavMeshAgent.