Search Unity

UMA - Unity Multipurpose Avatar on the Asset Store!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by FernandoRibeiro, Dec 24, 2013.

1. malkere

malkere

Certainly make a backup, at least once a week, I'm sure you are! And copy everything you're using out, that stuff doesn't need to be rewritten, just scripts and references. At worst you should only really need to repopulate the global library.

Try loading your copy in a fresh project first, I don't think 2.6 has any inherent errors.

Of course you can try and repair them manually, but that's a headache in itself most likely.

2. malkere

malkere

So I found out male eyebrows are not compatible with female eyebrows, though eyes seem to work anywhere. Would getting male eyebrows to work for female be much work?

3. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

Another question:
    The "Export OBJ" function doesn't include the textures.
    Are there any problems too difficult to solve? Or just because you think it's not necessary to export textures as well.
    We are hoping to export models more efficiently and wondering if this kind of function is achievable.
    Thank you very much.

4. kenamis

kenamis

I believe the obj format only includes mesh data, not textures. There is an option to save the generated materials on the UMA at runtime. I think it is called "Save Generated Textures" in the dropdown menu. They will be atlassed though, it's primary purpose is for examing the generated textures for issues.

5. kenamis

kenamis

A bunch of the namespaces were cleaned up. For example, UMACharacterSystem is now UMA.CharacterSystem. So, unfortunately you'll have to update your scripts.

Also, at least some of those errors listed are your own scripts correct? (I don't see them in the latest version). If so, I don't recommend storing your scripts in the UMA core folders. It makes updating the asset harder on you.

6. kenamis

kenamis

Is that the new hair shader that comes with UMA that isn't working or your own you hooked up?

7. neoshaman

neoshaman

I remember there was a feature to stitch other mesh, like for pig noise and elf ears, I don't find back that information, has this been deprecated?

8. kenamis

kenamis

I think you're referring to the "SwappedHead". The content is still there. I believe the default human recipe isn't using it, but you could easily swap it out. :)

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

One thing you can do is simply delete the "core" folder, and then reimport the package. that will solve all the compile issues. I recommend that people who create their own recipes/slots/overlays always put them in a separate root folder.

malkere likes this.
  10. Jaimi

Jaimi

For the normal eyebrows, you'd just need to create a new overlay, set the textures on it, and change the coordinates that it applies the overlay to on the base texture.
    If you're talking the "high res" eyebrows, that will be a little tougher, but not undoable. This would involve importing the FBX into an app, and adjusting the position. I think Will has eyebrows in his face pack, though.

Pomelo874 likes this.
  11. malkere

malkere

It was nothing custom, all freshly imported. It seems to have cleared up though??? The first 2-3 plays it was doing that sporadically. I haven't seen it since though. The screenshot I posted is using that hair in fact, I think.

@Jaimi ya I have the lite pack, but it looks like the full RPG 1 pack has hairs and faces and things, I'll upgrade to that before I try to fix everything myself. Just a few options would be plenty for now.

12. maggie3

maggie3

Hello everyone!

I am working on textures at the moment and trying to figure out what is different with the new UMA textures so I can do the same for myself. So far I have used diffuse, normal and specular but I have a problem with the shadows on my UMA clothes. The front and back of a shirt for example have a sharp line between dark and light color, eventhough it should be identical color, and doesn't change according to the location of the actual light. I thought the problem might be with the specular texture. I saw that the new UMA overlays use 3 textures but they are called Albedo, Normal and Metallic or Roughness sometimes. Can anybody explain to me how can I make those in Blender and what is the difference?
    ExampleTexture.PNG

Here is the example of what I am doing right now. As you can see there is a sharp line between the front and back of the tshirt even though the color should be the same. But the shadows stays at the same place no matter where the light comes from.

Thank you very much in advance!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  13. JamesK24

JamesK24

Thank you for the quick response.

I guess that would be speedy and convenient, but I have a question.

With the UMA base recipes having arms and torso combined into a one big fat torso slot, am I the only one having trouble putting t shirts and short pants on to my UMA?

I've separated the arms from the torso and the legs from the hip+thighs. Therefore I have a different set of slots for my base recipes for both DCS Male and Female.

In this case do I have to forfeit my custom base recipe and download a new one and repeat the process of separating limbs from torso?

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

These three textures are just the normal textures that get applied to the Standard Shader in the material. They differ from the specular setup - you can read more about them here:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMaterialParameters.html

However, you can use the specular setup if you like instead, by creating a new unity material, setting the shader to "Standard (specular setup)", and then setting a texture into the albedo, specular, and normal slots. Then creating a new UMAMaterial to use that shader. (probably easiest to copy the standard version). You'll need to change the keyword for the metallic map to the specular keyword (_SPECGLOSSMAP).

But I don't think that's what your problem is. From just looking at your picture, I would say the problem was the normals on the mesh.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

Nope - this is a common issue. The standard fix is to do what you did - make small pieces that you can then add when you have a shirt.

But you don't need to make a new race. You can use the base race as-is, but in your recipe, you can tell it to "Hide" the base torso, and then add your "arm" slots to the recipe itself. DCS will take care of all the sorting/merging of the slots and textures. So your "tshirt" recipe would contain your tshirt slot + overlay, your arms slot + overlay, and the "hides" would select the

As long as you keep your stuff outside the main UMA folder, they shouldn't be removed when you update. Ever since 2.0 was released, we've kept the slots/overlays and recipe compatibility with previous versions, so 2.0 stuff should work with 2.5, and 2.6 (and the upcoming 2.7).

There is a new feature coming in 2.7 that Kenamis is working on that will make this much easier. It's called "advanced mesh hiding". It lets you define what triangles on the base meshes get hidden when added, so you won't need to create special slots - you'll just add select the polygons in the base mesh that are hidden when using your new slot, and create an asset that goes with your recipe. It's really pretty cool! :)

JamesK24 and hopeful like this.
  16. liuduanbai

liuduanbai

OK,get it, thank you!

17. dudedude123

dudedude123

I keep having this problem

2017-07-26_18h59_45.png

18. maggie3

maggie3

Thank you for your reply! I will try that and see if it fixes the problem

But if you think that the Normals are the problem do you have a suggestion what I could do? How to fix the problem on the example picture?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  19. malkere

malkere

That's an animation problem. The animation you're trying to use is not compatible or not setup to be compatible with your UMA. It's reverting to the "T-Pose" of animations which is that sort of limp posture floating at zero. Have you tried copying the animator from an example?

kenamis likes this.
  20. kenamis

kenamis

Are you sure you have them in the right index? The order of the texture list in the overlay is important. So for the normal map, it needs to be in element 1 (the second element) if you're using the default uma material.

You can always test your textures directly by dragging your clothing mesh into the scene, creating a new unity material and adding your textures to it. Then you can determine if it's an issue with your textures, uvs, etc or an issue with how UMA is configured.

21. dudedude123

dudedude123

No, I built it myself

2017-07-26_21h11_06.png 2017-07-26_21h35_08.png

22. JamesK24

JamesK24

Thanks Jamie.

Knew what I had to do, but was just wondering if there was an easy way. I keep my custom made body parts and clothing in a nice lil separate folder. Just added my custom body part slots onto my new dcs base recipes like I did in 2.5.

Well! can't wait for that new feature coming in 2.7! Really look forward to it.

Thanks Jamie!

23. malkere

malkere

The Animator is probably fine, it's the actual animation.
    If you should be in the "idle" position of your "fight stance" on play, then go to the animation that is filled into that slot and open it in the inspector. From there you can assign an avatar to preview it in the bottom of the inspector. Drag Ethan from the standard assets or any mecanim rigged model and it will probably go into the same limp position. You might need to just re-import the animation or it may not be rigged properly for mecanim.

24. malkere

malkere

I can't seem to get a texture to attach to WillB's Female Wanderer Cap wardrobe recipe, in the "Wanderer cap Color". It accepts the normal and the MS, but the main texture stays "none" even if I try to add something to it? This throws an "Overlay 'Wanderer cap Color' missing required texture in channel 0" error? I'll just disable it for now, but is that something anyone knows about?

25. malkere

malkere

happening again now... seems to break further and further as I zoom out.
    FemaleLongHair_Overlay(UMA_Mesh_Hair_SingleSided)

26. kenamis

kenamis

Are you trying to set the texture in the wardrobe recipe or the overlay asset? I didn't even know it was possible to set from within the wardrobe recipe or not. Can you try setting it in the overlay asset and seeing if it accepts it there?

Alright, I'll try to reproduce the error later today and figure out what's going on. What version of unity are you using?

27. Jaimi

Jaimi

Might try looking at the Base material for that UMAMaterial, and verifying that the alpha cutout value hasn't changed. Looks like the cutout is being moved really high somehow.

28. malkere

malkere

I'm in 5.5.3fb or whatever the last builld was before 5.6? I'm not at home right now.. XD Will check out Jaimi's suggestion when I get home to <3

29. dudedude123

dudedude123

The model keeps freezing

30. Jaimi

Jaimi

This looks like a problem with the animator setup.

31. kenamis

kenamis

I tried reproducing or breaking the hair yesterday and wasn't able to create anything like what you're seeing. The closest is what like what Jaimi suggested, that the cutout value is getting maxed out. There's nothing I could find in UMA that would set that though.

Let me know if you get any more information on when it happens. Also, if you'd like to join the UMA slack channel feel free to PM me your email and I can get an invite sent your way.

32. dudedude123

dudedude123

When I was building the Windows Store version of the game, I keep getting this:

Assets\UMA\Core\Extensions\DynamicCharacterSystem\UMAAssetBundleManager\WebServer.cs(13,9): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'HttpListener' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

33. malkere

malkere

it came on while I was changing eyes...
    I've noticed mixing eye recipes is putting a "MaleEyes" recipe on top of my "FemaleEyes" I thought I was clearing the slot anyway... looking into it, dunno if they can be related though..

The hair material cutoff is 0.561 and changing it doesn't seem to do anything. Panning the camera forward/backwards effects it though...? Clipping plane is 0.1 to 5000

add: I've added HumanFemale as an acceptable race to MaleEye1 "Alligator Eyes" and am ClearSlot'ing before I apply them to my female avatar, but I get a FemaleEyes and a MaleEyes slot.. Still not sure if that's related or not..

add2: I got this a lot:
    Request error (error):
    UnityEditor.AsyncHTTPClient:Done(State, Int32)
    Is that UMA trying to check for updates?... it's not a very informative error...

add3: alright it's not the eyes. My color changing script updates the color per frame because I'm using a color chart you can drag the mouse around in real time to change skin color, etc. If I have the female long hair (I only have the basics installed right now, pigtails, ponytail, short, and the other "long" hair, none of which cause the error) the bug shows up very regularly about once a second then off, then one second later, then off, as long as I continue to rebuild per frame.
    Trying to reproduce it with a Rebuild(); in Update() might work.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  34. Toymaker

Toymaker

Hi guys. I've been wondering. Is there a version of the UMA skinned mesh (unified) with a skeleton that's suitable for rigging for animation? If so, where might I find it? If not, is there any possibility of getting one?

Cheers

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  35. kenamis

kenamis

Sounds like it's not the eyes causing your hair issue, but adding using the Alligator Eyes recipes as is with the female will cause some problems.

The Alligator Eyes wardrobe recipes was built with the Male Eyes and the alligator overlay over them. So when you're adding it to a female race, it's adding the male eyes, that's intended behavior.

If you want to use the alligator eyes on the female, you'll need to create a new wardrobe recipe. It'd be exactly the same except use the female eyes instead of the male. You'll want to name them differently too.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    malkere and hopeful like this.
  36. kenamis

kenamis

The "Male_Unified" and "Female_Unified" fbx's have their skeleton in their files.

There's also a content pack on github: https://github.com/umasteeringgroup/content-pack
    This has the base meshes in some commons formats for programs like blender and max

37. umutozkan

umutozkan

Hi guys,

As some of you may know, like the people on the slack channel, I was working on Manuel Bastioni based UMA male and female races. It took more than I intended but I did create the races. Unfortunately Bastioni models have a CC-BY license which makes the races unreleasable on Unity Asset Store (And will require you to give attribution if you use it in your game).

It's free and on a public git repository. You may read and see more about the races on http://www.o3n.org/o3n-male-and-female-uma-races/

I don't like the CC-BY license being on it, and I did contact Manuel about it. At the end of the day, I have to release it under CC-BY and there is no way to put it on UAS with that license. This conflict is bothering me and I'll probably create my own male and female models and create new UMA races out of them. (This would require a lot of time and effort, I am working on my blender skills for this purpose.)

Until then, the current Bastioni based races are available for those of you who are OK with the CC-BY license requirements.

ecurtz, hopeful, Jaimi and 1 other person like this.
  38. dudedude123

dudedude123

Is there any way to fix the animator setup?

39. kenamis

kenamis

Your problem doesn't appear to be an issue with the UMA system. From what you've provided it looks like you either forgot to set your animation to loop or to intended a transition away from that first animation that isn't firing.

40. dudedude123

dudedude123

I keep getting this error:

There is no 'Animator' attached to the "UMADynamicCharacterAvatar" game object, but a script is trying to access it.
    You probably need to add a Animator to the game object "UMADynamicCharacterAvatar". Or your script needs to check if the component is attached before using it.

and I already have an animator setup in the game object

2017-06-17_23h49_12.png

41. hopeful

hopeful

Didn't Jaimi already answer this for you a page ago?

kenamis likes this.
  42. dudedude123

dudedude123

I tried that but the animation wont work I had checked this code and the animation still wont work

Code (CSharp):
    1.         float v2 = Input.GetAxis("Oculus_GearVR_LThumbstickY");
    2.         float h2 = Input.GetAxis("Oculus_GearVR_LThumbstickX");
    3.         float punch2 = Input.GetAxis("Oculus_GearVR_RThumbstickY");
    4.         float leftright2 = Input.GetAxis("Oculus_GearVR_RThumbstickX");
    5.         float headbody2 = Input.GetAxis("Oculus_GearVR_LIndexTrigger");
    6.         float block2 = Input.GetAxis("Oculus_GearVR_RIndexTrigger");
    8.         float v = Input.GetAxis("LeftThumbstickY");
    9.         float h = Input.GetAxis("LeftThumbstickX");
    10.         float punch = Input.GetAxis("RightThumbstickY");
    11.         float leftright = Input.GetAxis("RightThumbstickX");
    12.         float headbody = Input.GetAxis("LeftTrigger");
    13.         float block = Input.GetAxis("RightTrigger");
    15.         animator.SetFloat("Punch", punch2);
    16.         animator.SetFloat("LeftRight", leftright2);
    17.         animator.SetFloat("Vertical", v2);
    18.         animator.SetFloat("Horizontal", h2);
    19.         animator.SetFloat("Block", block2);
    20.         animator.SetFloat("HeadBody", headbody2);
    21.         animator.SetFloat("Punch", punch);
    22.         animator.SetFloat("LeftRight", leftright);
    23.         animator.SetFloat("Vertical", v);
    24.         animator.SetFloat("Horizontal", h);
    25.         animator.SetFloat("Block", block);
    26.         animator.SetFloat("HeadBody", headbody);
    27.         animator.SetFloat("KO", ko);
    28.         animator.SetFloat("Impact", impact);

43. hopeful

hopeful

I imagine you've also checked this with a non-UMA model, like Ethan?

44. malkere

malkere

I can't seem to get the save/load to work properly. I'm not using the native save/load functions, just trying to pull out the recipe and reapply it.
    saving as a string with avatar.GetCurrentRecipe();
    and loading with avatar.LoadFromRecipeString(saveString, DynamicCharacterAvatar.LoadOptions.useDefaults);
    The save string looks good, but the load just goes back to default and seems to break all of my references...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  45. kenamis

kenamis

Are you loading the DynamicCharacterAvatar recipe at edit time and then playing the scene? I don't think those loading function support it that way. I believe it's all at runtime. @Jaimi ?

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  46. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yeah, it's runtime only. It also has the quirk that you have to have generated the avatar once to be able to load it, so if you're instantiating a prefab, you should use "SetLoadString()" instead, then the first time generation will work.

hopeful likes this.
  47. malkere

malkere

No that's all in runtime. I'm changing the avatar, saving the string, changing the avatar again, then loading the string. The avatar goes back to default female settings, except for colors, and my DNA references all break.

48. Jaimi

Jaimi

Are you trying to load it in one of the events? Are you getting any warnings or errors in the console?

Do you mean you have used GetDNA to return a DNASetter, and that is invalid after rebuild? If so, that is to be expected.

49. malkere

malkere

I am using user engaged save/load buttons, not callbacks. No errors or warnings in the console.

I am assigning references for
    DynamicCharacterAvatar avatar;
    Dictionary<string, DnaSetter> allDNA = new Dictionary<string, DnaSetter>();
    and wardobe, etc. in a variety of scripts. One handles DNA, one handles colors, etc. Only the DNA seems to stop working when I load. I'm not telling the color manager to Find and reference the avatar again, but it's avatar.SetColor("Skin", skinColor.color); calls continue to work after a LoadFromRecipeString, so does wardrobe changes: avatar.SetSlot(recipes["Hair"][0]); my DNA script calls are all breaking though..: allDNA["eyeSize"].Set(EyeSizeSlider.value);

I can probably fix that by looking for nulls, finding the break, reassigning it, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing the LoadFromRecipeString to work?

50. dudedude123

dudedude123

I tried it but it don't work