Search Unity

uIntelliSense — Unity API Assistant

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ZimM, Oct 27, 2014.

1. schmosef

schmosef

uIntellisense Plug-in Install warning.png

Here's a screenshot of the warning.

The top window is what appears after I click the button to install your plug-in (I already have it installed in VS2015 so it's not offered as an option).

After clicking "install" in the top window, the bottom dialog appears warning about compatibility and potential VS instability.

2. Setmaster

Setmaster

I got the same message, everything seems to be working fine so I'm pretty happy.

schmosef likes this.
  3. schmosef

schmosef

I tested today's update and can confirm that the warning message (when installing the extension to VS2017) is gone.

Great job! My favourite Unity asset.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. ZimM

ZimM

I haven't even posted the changelog here, and you've already checked out the update :) Thanks!

Version 1.7.1.0:
    Unity tool:
    • Improved Unity 5.6 support.
    • Fixed occasional error messages in console when Visual Studio Tools for Unity are used.
    Visual Studio extension:
    • Fixed warning about possible incompatibility when installing into Visual Studio 2017.
    • uIntelliSense now requires Internet Explorer 9 or newer to be installed.

Setmaster likes this.
  5. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi,
    How can i load the version for Unity 4.6.9? It seems that i have only access to the newest version on assetstore!
    this is the error:

Error while importing package: Package has unknown format
    UnityEditor.AssetStoreContext:OpenPackage(String)

Cheers Michael

6. ZimM

ZimM

Hm, that seems to be an issue on Asset Store side. I have no control on how packages are handled on different Unity version. I'll try to contact them, but meanwhile, please PM me with your invoice number and I'll send you the package manually.

7. schmosef

schmosef

Hi @ZimM,

I just updated to the latest Unity patch release: 5.6.1p1 and ran into an issue generating the uIntellisense Data.

Error Generating Intellisense Data.png

Do you think this might be an issue with my PC or a bug in the new Unity?

8. ZimM

ZimM

Some things have changed in documentation format in 5.6.1p1. Fixed in uIntelliSense 1.7.1.1, should be live in a few minutes.

schmosef likes this.
  9. schmosef

schmosef

Awesome! I'll test the update in a few minutes.

Edit: :)

itsworkingb.gif

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    ZimM likes this.
  10. ZimM

ZimM

Just released uIntelliSense 1.7.1.2, fixes an error message in Scripting Reference window in VS when used on Unity 5.6.1p1.

schmosef likes this.
  11. ZimM

ZimM

Good news! uIntelliSense 1.7.2.0 with Unity 2017.1 support is now out. Enjoy.

Also, I've released a new asset a few days ago, and would like to announce it here :)
    Have yu ever wanted to have local multiplayer in your game that just works? With Local Multiplayer for iOS/tvOS/macOS, you can. It enables you to implement local hassle-free multiplayer to your game with just a few lines of code. Connection between devices is done automatically using whatever connectivity options are available — Bluetooth, WiFi, Peer-to-Peer WiFi, Ethernet, all without any setup!
    Check it out:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#!/content/88666?aid=1101lHUy&pubref=unityforum

schmosef likes this.
  12. Gooren

Gooren

Hi @ZimM , would you consider adding JetBrains Rider IDE support? Would be great, since Unity 2017.1 now officially supports it :)

13. ZimM

ZimM

Basic documentation tooltips work in any .NET IDE, including Rider. I don't plan on porting the Visual Studio Extension, though, since that would basically mean writing the extension from scratch, and even then I am not sure if it would really be possible.

14. qasem2016

qasem2016

ok , i tried to contact via email but i got no answers ! is there any one to help me out ? :(

15. ZimM

ZimM

Hm, I've looked through my emails and found nothing about uIntelliSense recently. Perhaps your email was lost somehow?..
    In any case, what question do you have?

16. qasem2016

qasem2016

i email you again now ! tell me if you don't receive it

17. ZimM

ZimM

Hi, I've received your email now, check your inbox.

18. red2blue

red2blue

Hi,

fist of all really nice asset which helps me a lot. Just wanted install it with Unity 2017.1.0p3 and I am getting the following error message:

Code (csharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. System.Xml.Linq.XContainer+<GetDescendants>c__Iterator2.MoveNext () (at <76b0ed752d0448e787b8ce46f3a5f2a0>:0)
    4. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.StringExtensions.FormatXmlString (System.String xml) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/Utilities/StringExtensions.cs:52)
    5. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.WriteFiles (System.Collections.Generic.ICollection`1[T] assemblyInfos, LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ScriptingReferenceParserBase+MemberInfo[] memberInfos, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] additionalOperations, System.Collections.Generic.IEnumerable`1[T] additionalFiles) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:374)
    6. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.GenerateAndSaveXmlFiles (System.String progressbarTitle, System.Boolean isSuccess, System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T] assemblyInfos, LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.ScriptingReferenceParserBase+MemberInfo[] memberInfos) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:134)
    7. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45+<BuildXmlDocumentation>c__AnonStorey6.<>m__1D () (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:54)
    8. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45.HandledAction (System.Action action) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:101)
    9. UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
    10. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45:HandledAction(Action) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:113)
    11. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.XmlDocsGenerator45:BuildXmlDocumentation(ParserSettings) (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGenerator45.cs:31)
    12. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:BuildXmlDocumentation() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:253)
    13. LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.XmlDocsGeneratorWindow:<OnGUI>m__22() (at G:/PROGRAMMING/Repos/BitBucket/uIntelliSense/Project/Assets/~NotIncluded/Editor/Source/XmlDocsGeneratorWindow.cs:85)
    14. UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallDelayFunctions()
    I am using uIntellisense 1.7.2.0.

Edit: Tried to reinstall while starting Unity as administrator, but this failed also. Any idea?

Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  19. ZimM

ZimM

Looks like something has changed in 2017.1.0p3. Thanks for reporting, I'll investigate it. What OS do you use?

Edit: just tried on Windows 10, it works fine for me :/

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  20. schmosef

schmosef

It works for me as well.

21. red2blue

red2blue

Thanks to both of you for testing it. I am running on windows 10. I will try it with a clean project.
    Is there something in the error message what could help me finding the porblem (conflict with other assets)?

Other versions of your asset worked great so far. I will give it a try!

22. red2blue

red2blue

I guess you are in the wrong thread... This thread is about an asset that integrates intellisense into Visual Studio.

edit: Btw I got it to work normaly.

schmosef likes this.
  23. vonchor

vonchor

I was having the same problem as "Red2Blue" but tried using a new project and it worked fine. One thing you might want to examine - in my case the C# version was set to 4.6 and in a new one it's back at the default of 3.5. Could have something to do with it. I can't back out my project that's set to c# 4.6 to check this.

24. ZimM

ZimM

Since that time, I've released a fix for Unity 2017.1 support, and it should work fine now. What Unity version do you use? Unity 2017.2 is not currently supported due to massive changes on Unity side, but I'm working on the fix as well.

25. vonchor

vonchor

I am using 2017.2 . I was able to get UIntellisense to work by creating a new project, and leaving it on the default c# version. I didn't try it again with c# 4.6

So AFAIKT it works with 2017.2 but not when the C# version is changed to the admittedly experimental 4.6. Could have been something else in my (original) project that was messing things up.
    HTH

26. Muckel

Muckel

hello,
    any chance to see support for Visual Studio Code?
    I'm on Mac OS and don't like the huge Visual Studio Community... it's slow and no themes support etc...
    Also possible and awesome would be support for Sublime Text 3 ... to me the best IDE !
    thx
    M.

27. ZimM

ZimM

Documentation hints already work in Visual Studio Code. The Visual Studio extension won't be ported, because it would mean writing a totally new extension from scratch, and I don't think it's not worth the effort, since not a lot of people use VS Code. JetBrains Rider is more likely, if anything.
    Visual Studio Community actually supports themes. There are 3 built-in themes, but you can install custom themes just fine:
    https://scotch.io/bar-talk/best-vs-code-themes-of-2017
    Sublime Text is not an IDE, it's a text editor. Sure, you can make it behave more like an IDE, but it won't ever be an actual IDE. Documentation hints still works, however:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/uintellisense-unity-api-assistant.276539/page-2#post-1929450

Muckel likes this.
  28. ZimM

ZimM

Good news everyone!

uIntelliSense
    1.8.0 update is now live on Asset Store!

Changelog:
    Unity tool:
    • Added support for Unity 2017.2 and Unity 2017.3.
    • Parsing improvements for Unity extensions assemblies.
    • Multi-threaded documentation generation routine.
    • Fixed crash when attempting to request administrator rights on macOS Sierra and newer.
    • Bumped minimal Unity version to 5.4.0.
    @red2blue
    Please try the latest version, your issue should be fixed.

red2blue, schmosef and Muckel like this.
  29. Muckel

Muckel

no Themes in Visual Studio Community Mac OS X....
    Only Light & Dark :-(
    it takes more than 1.5 GB! installation space... and is bloody slow while stating... -> delete it !
    Visual Studio Code is now my fav editor...
    hope Unity will use it and replace Mono with it!!!
    i heard some rumours 2018 will be great and hopefull it becomes true VS Code bundled with Unity :) !!!
    than i'm back here and will ask you again!
    M.

30. rtritean

rtritean

Hi, will this continue to be developed further? 2018, 2019? Considering a purchase and I'd like to know the roadmap.

31. ZimM

ZimM

It is an ongoing development and I have no plans on halting it. It already supports 2018 just fine.

schmosef likes this.
  32. BlackDragonBE

BlackDragonBE

Just a heads up, this doesn't work with the 2018.3 beta. I got an XML parsing error while generating documentation.

HotkangChen likes this.
  33. Qbit86

Qbit86

Hi, I'm facing nasty exception while migrating from 5.5.0p4 to 2018.2.14 on Windows (Android, .NET 4.x, IL2CPP)
    Code (csharp):
    1. System.NotSupportedException: The invoked member is not supported in a dynamic module.
    2.   at System.Reflection.Emit.AssemblyBuilder.get_Location () [0x00006] in <f2e6809acb14476a81f399aeb800f8f2>:0
    3.   at LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.UnityVsUpdater+AssemblyInfo..ctor (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) [0x00023] in <3af0b71ee59047a5974c2693dcbd6a90>:0
    4.   at LostPolygon.uIntelliSense.Internal.UnityVsUpdater..cctor () [0x00059] in <3af0b71ee59047a5974c2693dcbd6a90>:0
    How can I fix it?

This error is followed by another one:
    Code (csharp):
    1. System.MethodAccessException: Method `UnityEditor.Build.BuildDefines.add_getScriptCompilationDefinesDelegates(UnityEditor.Build.GetScriptCompilationDefinesDelegate)' is inaccessible from method `UnityEditor.Analytics.AnalyticsImporter..cctor()'
    2.   at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Object.__icall_wrapper_mono_throw_method_access(intptr,intptr)
    3.   at UnityEditor.Analytics.AnalyticsImporter..cctor () [0x00132] in /home/builduser/buildslave/com.unity.analytics/package/Source/Unity.Analytics.Editor/Importer.cs:49

34. HotkangChen

HotkangChen

+1

35. schmosef

schmosef

@BlackDragonBE & @HotkangChen:

You're getting a parser error because the local documentation isn't installed.

Starting with the 2018.3 Unity versions, the documentation installer is no longer an option in the "Download Assistant" app.

The documentation is still an option if you install via the "Unity Hub" app.

You can also download the documentation installer from the here. It's the bottom item in the "Component Installers Windows" section.

I had this problem and fixed it by downloading and running the documentation installer from the above link.

36. NicoEsteban

NicoEsteban

Hi. Im using both 2017 and 2018. The one license per seat allows me to use it on both? Both versions are under the same email. Thanks a lot.

37. schmosef

schmosef

I've got an issue Generating the IntelliSense data under Unity 2018.3.1f1. The process fails and I get the bellow error message.

Error Generating IntelliSense Data.png

I definitely have the documentation installed.

Anybody else have this problem?

38. toddkc

toddkc

Yes I do too. Using 2018.3.0f2. I have installed the documentation and tried again with the same result as you, except my error says 'Line 1, Position 12789'

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    BrianBird likes this.
  39. schmosef

schmosef

@ZimM, Please let us know if you are looking into this.

Devastadus likes this.
  40. dFlynnSo

dFlynnSo

When can we expect a new update for latest Unity?

Devastadus likes this.
  41. Satsukeshi

Satsukeshi

Bump for @ZimM Still having the XmlException listed above.

42. schmosef

schmosef

I think we've been ghosted.

43. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

@ZimM -- does this asset work with VS 2019, will you be updating?

// WildStyle

BrianBird likes this.
  44. BrianBird

BrianBird

If the owner of this very useful tool is not updating it any more, maybe they could release it as an open source project.

Gooren, schmosef and JBR-games like this.
  45. toddkc

toddkc

Based on their complete lack of any response I doubt that will happen. It would be great though, I totally agree.

Gooren and schmosef like this.
  46. tcz8

tcz8

Ohhh I miss this tool soo much! If we had the source code we could fix it. Wish I knew how to decompile stuff.

schmosef likes this.
  47. ch1ky3n

ch1ky3n

i was wondering if this works with script inspector 3

48. toddkc

toddkc

This doesn't work at all. Do not purchase.

schmosef likes this.
  49. atcarter714

atcarter714

Just curious, how long ago was the last time they updated their product and what version of Visual Studio and Unity did you try to use it with? And when you say "doesn't work" do you mean that nothing shows up or it's causing errors or it won't install or something else?

I was trying to find a good solution for having detailed inline documentation in VS 2022 for Unity projects but can't seem to find any "official" support for it. Some Unity API stuff has the inline doc / hints, but some doesn't and the ones that do aren't always very helpful. What's really annoying is that there's no inline doc and hints for all the .NET/Mono libraries, so when you're using something in System.Whatever.Stuff namespace you get zero hints/documentation in IntelliSense, not even for commonly used stuff like List<T> or Dictionary<TKey, TValue> in System.Collections.Generics. That's kind of annoying because I can't always remember what every single overload of methods do, what the return value is supposed to be or how the parameters are used, so I have to open my browser and look it up in the Microsoft official C#/.NET documentation online. This is something that I'm determined to fix, even if I have to write my own tool to read existing XML documentation files or scrape the Microsoft and Unity documentation websites to build my own XML documentation file from scratch.

Qbit86 likes this.
  50. schmosef

schmosef

According to the asset store, the last update was published on July 23, 2018.

If you scroll up a little bit you'll find my post from January 11, 2019 stating that it does not work with Unity 2018.3.1f1.

Unless you find a prior post commenting on an older version of Unity, it probably works with 2018.2.x and prior.

It's impossible to say if it works with VS 2022.

It would be nice if @ZimM shared some info about this. In March of 2018 he posted that uIntelliSense was "an ongoing development and I have no plans on halting it."

I hope he considers open sourcing the code on GitHub so the community can investigate updating it.

Edit: After looking at some older posts, I think the last version of Unity this works with is 2017.x and the latest supported version of Visual Studio is VS 2017.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    toddkc and atcarter714 like this.