Search Unity

UI Text disappears when alt-tabbing away from Unity Editor

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by casimps1, Feb 25, 2016.

1. casimps1

casimps1

I've been seeing basically the exact same behavior reported in this Linux support thread (which was confirmed by UT), but I'm seeing it on Windows:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/text-in-ui-elements-disappearing.354155/

Sometimes, when I alt-tab away from the Unity Editor window, when I come back to the Editor, all the Unity UI Text has disappeared from the Scene view.

Selecting Text widgets in the Hierarchy will sometimes make that widget visible again. Selecting a widget in the Scene view or deactivating and reactivating any Text widget makes all the widgets visible again.

Interestingly, the problem seems to be project-specific. In certain projects, this problem always happens to me. In other projects, using the same version of Unity, it never happens. In the projects where it does happen, it happens even if I create a brand new scene and just add a single Canvas and default Text widget to the scene. So it has nothing to do with scene complexity.

I'm running Unity 5.3.1 on Windows 8.

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

2. phil-Unity

phil-Unity

Unity UI Lead Developer

We do have a bug report on this. As for the cause no idea right now.

3. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Any news on that, when you're not working with UIs it's okay but this is a huge problem when you're building your UIs, annoying alt-tabbing from photoshop and unity back and forth.

Last edited: May 21, 2016
  4. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

Can someone post the link for the report of this bug? I couldn't find...

5. Ghosthowl

Ghosthowl

Also looking for the bug report for this, still having this issue in 5.3.6f1

6. Rodolfo-Rubens

Rodolfo-Rubens

7. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Fix this! Seriously what the heck. This is starting to smell like one of Unreal's years long bugs that they ignore. Unity is usually better than that. This bug is extremely annoying and makes it nearly impossible to work with the UI editor!

8. UniversalProgrammer92

UniversalProgrammer92

an easy way to fix the issue is just move an UI element around, it should update and make the text visible again, at least thats what i do :p

it shouldnt be that hard to make a "dirty" patch, all u need to do is set it up when the window becomes active again, then it automatically shifts an invisible ui element that u dont see otherwise.

9. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

This is basically what I do. I slightly adjust the window split which forces Unity to redraw. It works but you have to admit it gets very old very fast.

10. bilalitani

bilalitani

11. pointcache

pointcache

Guys its a very old bug, its just anecdotal they can't fix it, but a workaround is - place Maximize viewport hotkey on spacebar, and then simple 2xSpacebar for ui to show itself and fix the layout issues.
    My guess is that they dont know how to trigger ui layout recalculation in editor without constantly doing it.

12. Xain

Xain

still no fix.