Search Unity

UI elements are shaking?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Denisowator, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Denisowator

Denisowator

It's exactly what it sounds like. They're literally just shaking, and I have no idea what's wrong. I'm assuming it's the same reason my previous project had a problem where if I moved the camera further away, some sprites' edges would become thinner and slightly blurry (they were pixel art, so the images were very small).

This isn't happening to just the images I make. UI text, and even the edges of the Play mode screen are also affected.

This is a short video I took of one of the corners of the game view screen while Play mode is active:

I tried disabling all the cameras except for the main one, and disabling all the image effects, but it's still there. And sometimes when I go into Play mode, the edges of the screen do this and they turn white (hence why I mentioned them being also affected, but didn't capture it in this clip).

I also tried setting the Canvas as "Pixel Perfect", but that didn't work either.

I saw people on Unity Answers have this problem with sprites, and I believe one of the question was asked this March. Only one of them has an answer, which is to set the "Pixels Per Unit" to 1, which I already do automatically every single time I import something that will be a sprite. And that hasn't fixed the issue.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    mowax74 and akuno like this.
  2. Denisowator

Denisowator

I did some more digging, and found an asset in the store, which completely solves this issue. The only problem is that I can't afford to pay £10 to solve a single issue, as the UI is the only thing that is in pixel art size.

Does anyone know how I can really scale up an image, but then when it updates in Unity, still have it how it was before? I haven't worked with UI that much, so I don't know how the whole scaling stuff works for sprites. And how I can get them looking the same even if I change the size of the actual image in an image editor.

EDIT: Well, I just increased the images, and it's still the exact same problem. I also tried changing the filter to "Bilinear" and "Trilinear", but there's still some clear shaking on some UI elements.

Anyone got any ideas what to do now?

It does work when I set the UI camera to Orthographic, but it completely messes up the motion blur (makes it really intense and circular).

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  3. Denisowator

Denisowator

4. Denisowator

Denisowator

5. akuno

akuno

I am also facing that issue for a while now.
    Sometimes the UI's rect transform will change its position or scale value by very little, like 1.0001 or 3.542548e-05. Setting the values to a round number like 1 or 0, solves those issues for me, most of the time.
    However, sometimes, even doing this, the jittering persists.

Denisowator likes this.
  6. chucongqing

chucongqing

Just solved it.
    I'm using screen space - camera. My camera position is a decimal like ( 10 , 0.312, 1.233).
    just change UICamera postition to int number etc(10,0,0) . then ui elements will stop shaking.

7. TashaSkyUpchurch

TashaSkyUpchurch

This is not at all complete solution. My Canvas must be set to world space, and is a child of a camera that is being animated via Cinemachine automation. very shakey ui and no way to limit the cameras global position to integers. also changing the canvas items local positions to integers does not help

8. Avelblood

Avelblood

I suppose it is unresolvable and no one cares?

Deshim likes this.
  9. rd_mcn

rd_mcn

Hi,

I am also having this issue; at first it looked like it was related to the variance between the physics engine and the frame updates but have removed all the physics from the game and the shaking still happens.

This is not the only time this has been raised in these forums but am unable to find an answer; so I would like to add to this one in the hope than someone is able to shed any light.

10. Denisowator

Denisowator

I am currently working on a pixel game, and shaking has been a huge problem at the start.

One of the things that really stopped it was changing the camera size. I think at some point the camera projection was a certain size, that on the monitor one on-screen pixel was between 2 physical pixels of the monitor. So it was switching between the two.

Don't know, but you could try that. When I had shaking problems in the pixel game, the camera size had a lot of decimal points. Making it a more rounded number fixed it for me.

11. mikaxms

mikaxms

I had the same problem when I turned on pixel perfect, so now I just leave it off. It only occurs to me when the camera has to constantly move with the canvas set to screen space - camera.

sk8tyger likes this.
  12. Ronyplay

Ronyplay

I managed to fix my problem by changing screen space to Overlay, instead of camera.

13. rd_mcn

rd_mcn

In the end I have moved the scenery around the origin to resolve this; very much less than ideal.

14. Gravijta

Gravijta

Thanks Ronyplay, that one worked for me.

mpkostek and Ronyplay like this.
  15. mpkostek

mpkostek

This worked for me too

Ronyplay likes this.
  16. ChongHann

ChongHann

upload_2019-10-12_17-22-4.png
    Just turn the "Pixel Perfect" to off, image shaking when transform is solved.

17. ThugNoob

ThugNoob

[QUOTE = "mpkostek, post: 4194574, membro: 1738033"] Isso funcionou para mim também [/ QUOTE]
    this worked for me too... set canvas to an child of the camera, and change to overlay

18. triangle4studios

triangle4studios

This happens because the UI Canvas is too close to the camera. Solve it by doing the following:
    - You do not need to use Overlay.
    - Set your UI on a separate canvas, and layer.
    - Set your Plane Distance of your canvas to a higher number, as high as it takes.
    - Ensure your camera has the far clipping plane set to at LEAST that same distance.
    - Cull Everything except for your UI.

WinstonWalrus and hemerukulla0 like this.
  19. Vaflov

Vaflov

Thank you! Worked for me.

20. ryandeath189

ryandeath189

Work for me as well thanks

21. HazelFaisal

HazelFaisal

I use world space for my camera option as I want post-processing on my UI and replacing my camera fixed it for me.

Hope it helps!

22. t3h3l

t3h3l

Hello, sadly I'm still having this issue.
    I cannot use Screen Space - Overlay since I use Pixel Perfect Camera component.
    Pixel Perfect on Canvas doesn't make a difference.
    And with URP in my project I cannot use 2 cameras.

So my UI Canvas is set to Screen Space - Camera and the UI is shaking when the camera moves.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

23. Jiaquarium

Jiaquarium

Have you tried turning Pixel Perfect Camera's Pixel Snapping off?

t3h3l likes this.
  24. t3h3l

t3h3l

Thank you for reaching out.

Yes I have, it was off by default but I have managed to find a solution to my problem.
    You can read all about that endeavor here.

25. ilberpro

ilberpro

Solved it. Thanks buddy.

26. emexajtx

emexajtx

I found other solution. Go to generated font -> material and change shader to TextMeshPro/Distance Field

27. Lokesh2022

Lokesh2022

@ChongHann thank you, "TURN OFF PIXEL PERFECT" in canvas, it worked. it is not vibrating while scrolling the object in a scroll view.

28. samboknight

samboknight

I'm using the pixel-perfect camera with Upscale Render Texture enabled, and all of my sprites are set to display at 16 pixels per unit (PPU).

I had the issue with HUD elements shaking as well. I am using Screen Space - Camera for my canvas. They wouldn't shake if the canvas was set to Screen Space - Overlay, but that caused them to not align with the pixels rendered by the camera, which I found unsatisfactory. Next, I tried turning Pixel Perfect off on the canvas. That didn't fix the jittering, and it caused some of the HUD elements not to line up correctly with the others.

Finally, I decided to try snapping the camera to the nearest increment of 1/PPU (in my case 1/16) inside my script for controlling camera movement. This completely fixed my problem. This is the code I used for snapping the camera:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. newX = (float)(int)(newX * PPU) / PPU;
    2. newY = (float)(int)(newY * PPU) / PPU;
    where newX and newY are the position where I want to move the camera, and PPU is the pixels-per-unit used by my game sprites. I hope someone finds this helpful.

Honestly, I find it surprising that the Pixel-Perfect Camera doesn't just snap according to the PPU automatically.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  29. WinstonWalrus

WinstonWalrus

I know this is an old thread, but thank you so so much for this! No other solutions worked for me since it turns out I had set my plane distance super low, evidently causing the jitters/distortion. Changing it from 0.01 to 1 did the trick instantly! Absolute livesaver :)