Search Unity

UI Dropdowns don't work in Unity 5.6

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Tomza, Apr 11, 2017.

1. Tomza

Tomza

I use the UMA UI that copied from one of the example scenes. I noticed a strange thing:

The options for Race, Wardrobe, Colors, etc. appear only in the Scene View, not in Play view! For example, I click on the Race button and the options for choosing the race doesn't appear in the Game window, only visible in the Scene window. And when I click on the UI element (the root for all UI elements) that is a canvas, it moving upward and downward in the Scene view. I think it is problem with UI, not with AssetBundles or races.

And when I click on an UI item, a Blocker appears in my Scene Hierarchy.

It is only with dropdowns because other UI elements work as should. I noticed that other dropdowns didn't work too in Unity 5.6, so I deactivate them temporary.

I can add that my scene is complex and UI stuff is complex too. I have a few canvases with UI elements and they are switched. And I have a few camera that are switched too. All the camera are tagged as main Camera.

2. methos5k

methos5k

Can't say for certain about your specific issue. But there have been many reports about ScrollRects, as well as drop downs being bugged/broken in 5.6 (in some circumstances). Earlier today, I read some news that said the bug is being sent to review/patch.. can't speak to the time frame of that, but that's what I heard :)

3. Tomza

Tomza

Thank you! I expected that because I have various troubles with UI, but usually I was able to fix them somehow. But this time, the issue seems to be stronger than me :).

4. methos5k

methos5k

Ya, I do not know if the UI drop downs are always broken or just some circumstances (as it's only some with the scrollrect thing). But I have seen many posts about it, and the fix I mentioned previously.
    Hopefully it's not too long away.

5. Tomza

Tomza

It's irritating because I made a MCE Editor in game and dropdowns and other things worked with no troubles in the previous version of Unity. As soon as I upgraded my project to Unity 5.6, all droppdowns are broken and I was forced to deactivate them not to be spammed by errors.

Yes, something wrong with Unity UI. Hopefully, all will be fixed soon.

6. yuliyF

yuliyF

Roll back to 5.5 and keep on waiting

7. Tomza

Tomza

I think I will wait for the fixes. I have other stuff to work with that works :).

8. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Its an issue with nested canvases. We have a fix on the way.

9. Tomza

Tomza

Thank you very much! Good to know.

10. rempelj

rempelj

Do you have a link to the issue in the tracker? Also, any idea which version will have the fix?

Thanks in advance.

11. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

It's fixed in 5.6.0p3, out next week.

yuliyF likes this.
  12. Zymu

Zymu

Unfortunately, it is not. I'm going to have to roll back to 5.4.5.

In 5.5.3 UnityAds for iOS do not work.
    In 5.6.0p3, dropdowns are broken.

Further:

My game relies on dropdowns HEAVILY. After submitting a build using the newest unity, whenever someone (only on mobile platforms) clicks a dropdown menu, there aren't any options to choose from and it blocks all other input, causing the user to close and reopen the game and not be able to use half their items at any given time. Needless to say, over the last two days before discovering this, I've seen substantial losses. Hundreds of dollars. A dip in rating.

I'm hoping dropdowns and iOS ads work in 5.4.5, or I'm kind of screwed.
    Help would be dully appreciated.

Edit: 5.4.5 couldn't handle the import from 5.6. I guess I'll have to forgo UnityAds as a service for my game for now. I really hope 5.6 can import to 5.5, else this is the end.

Edit2: Rolling back from 5.6 to 5.5.3 worked, using that + UnityAds for Android... Going to implement ChartBoost for the iOS build. Please fix this, o Unity gods!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  13. Tomza

Tomza

Where have you found 5.6.0p3? I don't see it on the Patch Releases page.

14. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

5.6.0p3 is not out yet.

15. Zymu

Zymu

Glad I used my first post to make myself look like a fool. I was just assuming 5.6.03 was the same thing. At any rate, are you sure it will be fixed in the new version when it releases? I can't handle another 2 days like that, hit pretty hard. You know, the game not working and all. If it's this week, I'll just leave it broken on iOS for now I suppose... I just released it for iOS anyway.

Sorry. Thanks.

16. methos5k

methos5k

Live n learn, @Zymu :) No worries.

17. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

No problem :D
    I cant promise its fixed for sure as I dont have your project but I would say i'm 99% certain that this is the issue for you.

18. Zymu

Zymu

It definitely probably is the issue. If reverting to 5.5.3 worked, that says a lot I think. Anyway, thanks!

I still feel foolish. I'm by no means a Unity noob, just never was active on the forums. I've been dev'ing in Unity for about 3 years now and have been programming and making games since I was 12. Just thought I'd defend myself a bit. Haha.

karl_jones likes this.