Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial: Unity and PHP login script - simple but useful

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by xandeck, Jun 10, 2009.

1. xandeck

xandeck

Thanks mescalin. Making for C# is pretty easy too ;)

@sidrakhalid,

Sorry, I never got the email about your post. Let me know if you still need some help :)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014
  2. TournyMasterBot

TournyMasterBot

Editing this post because xandeck is linking to it instead of updating the primary post,

Xandeck's regex will NOT protect against sql injection. It at best makes it only a half step harder.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/60174/how-can-i-prevent-sql-injection-in-php

PREPARED statements using PDO are the correct way to handle sql injection. Then you don't have any need to restrict user input, as it treats input as strictly text input, and prevents ALL possibility of sql injection when you use parameters correctly. This applies to pretty much every database, PARAMETERIZE user input. Never roll your own cleansing script.

Again Key Takeaway:
    Use PARAMETERIZED queries when sending ANY user input to the database. Sanitation by stripping out control characters is 100% of the time an insecure way to handle input. Use the libraries that are explicitly designed to parameterize your query. Do not rely on mysql_real_escape_string, do not rely on addslashes, do not rely on htmlencode to sanitize data for your database. It's wrong. Period. It is more work to create this sanitation, and less secure than simply using prepared statements. Please, for your users, for your site, for your game, use parameterized queries. It's easy. It's less work than rolling your own sanitation. It generally makes your queries run better!

For PHP: Use PDO (http://code.tutsplus.com/tutorials/why-you-should-be-using-phps-pdo-for-database-access--net-12059)
    For C#: Use SqlCommand Parameters (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.data.sqlclient.sqlcommand.parameters(v=vs.110).aspx)

Please. Do it the right way. It's easy. It's safe. It's worth the five minutes to read the articles and use the examples correctly.

Further reading, if you're interested in various types of attacks:
    Basic information about SQL injection: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL_injection
    Basic information about SQL injection (From a stack overflow question): http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...gle-quotes-be-defeated-by-sql-injection-in-sq
    MSDN article about injection: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc163917.aspx
    Multi Byte Character Attacks: http://security.stackexchange.com/questions/9908/multibyte-character-exploits-php-mysql

This information is critically important. Learn it before you do ANYTHING with SQL queries that use user input.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    orb and elmar1028 like this.
  3. xandeck

xandeck

Hello Masa,

Well, this is not the purpose of the tutorial, but I will make a link to the first post of what you said ;)

4. PuSH

PuSH

I don't git it dose it all go in one script ???

5. mescalin

mescalin

so all this worrying is making me a little paranoid, surely if you remove all the escape chars on the input and that is the ONLY input this is secure?

so i understand the limits in the sense of my client will upload scores, can't stop someone hacking the client, however what i don't want is someone being able to break out into the php and then get access to other data, are we fairly confident of this?

6. xandeck

xandeck

No, there is no real security in this tutorial. And I did not check what Masa said.
    Also, I will update the first entry saying that I will not and cannot answer any more questions related to security. This is not the point of the tutorial at all. Anyone who wants a secure connection, should study more PHP and security.

7. mescalin

mescalin

fair enough looks like i have to, thanks anyway i do appreciate the code

8. xandeck

xandeck

I am sure you can find good tutorials on internet about security, mescalin ;)

9. mescalin

mescalin

i thought i may as well contribute my thoughts

to the best of my reading xandecks code uses the most common methods (plus one extra function preg_replace), it filters the input to prevent injection hut he does not use the newer "MySQLi" driver added to php to address some of these concerns.

I do not think this is vulnerable to injection though xandeck has done it the normal way as far as i can tell. However one thing is the password and username WILL be transmitted by plaintext, you can wireshark it. However that is the point of HTTPS, if you use HTTPS a hacker cannot get the details, i contemplated making my own security scheme but you realise actually most of the web does it that way.

with that in mind i am fairly confident in this code, every dev has to make up their own mind as stated though, personally I see it as a great solution for some online functionality that works at about every wifi point i have been at :), no nat issue when you are pretending to be a website, good stuff

rollandgrogg likes this.
  10. Chapi

Chapi

Danm php synax really is horrible :/

Great tutorial thought, helped me quite a bit :D

rollandgrogg likes this.
  11. rollandgrogg

rollandgrogg

Thanks for Discussion....

12. aanimation

aanimation

bookmarked

13. rollandgrogg

rollandgrogg

Hey guys...

I am suggested this site ptutorial. This site is most useful for phptutorial. If you are looking PHP login script - simple
    but useful so visit this site. I am sure you Satisfied my suggetion.

Thanks
    Rolland Grogg

14. GXMark

GXMark

I just thought this simple example might be useful for someone wanting to post and get data back from a PHP page in unity.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System;
    5. public class TestScript : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     IEnumerator Start()
    8.     {
    9.         WWWForm wwwForm = new WWWForm ();
    10.         wwwForm.AddField ("ValueA", "22");
    11.         wwwForm.AddField ("ValueB", "44");
    13.         // Create a download object
    14.         WWW download = new WWW ("http://localhost/My.php", wwwForm);
    16.         // Wait until the download is done
    17.         yield return download;
    19.         Debug.Log(download.error);
    20.         Debug.Log(download.text);
    22.         string[] values = download.text.Split(new char[] {'\n'});
    24.         foreach (string value in values)
    25.         {
    26.             if (String.IsNullOrEmpty(value.Trim()))
    27.             {
    28.                 continue;
    29.             }
    30.             string[] variable = value.Split (new char[] {'='});
    32.             Debug.Log ("PHP data: " + variable[0].Trim() + " = " + variable[1].Trim());
    33.         }
    34.     }
    36. }
    Then the PHP page is

Code (csharp):
    2. <?php
    3. $ValueA = $_POST ["ValueA"];
    4. $ValueB = $_POST ["ValueB"];
    6. $ResultA = $ValueA * $ValueB;
    7. $ResultB = $ValueA + $ValueB;
    9. echo ("ResultA = $ResultA\n");
    10. echo ("ResultB = $ResultB\n");
    11. ?>
    Please note that the echo is not a displaying a comment but actually assigns the results which are picked up in the unity code after the yield.

15. kasulogamestudio

kasulogamestudio

hey GXMark, looks good =)
    We will try to do some more stuff here soon ;)

16. EETechnology

EETechnology

Perfect way of doing this. ;)

17. Picc_Excellence

Picc_Excellence

Anyone confused about php and mysql and how it links to JS and C# should check out this wiki. It lays all the example scripts out for you AND shows the difference between secure and unsecure php.
    http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=Server_Side_Highscores

However, You should NEVER include your db credentials (USERNAME, PASSWORD, etc.) in he same file as the mysql, mysqli or PDO call. Always use include('credentials_file.php'); and place all credentials in a separate file. I can't stress this enough.

18. SakisPoupnaras

SakisPoupnaras

can you give me an example how to check for duplicates in c# and push a message the server already has this failsafe but how do i know and where can i see it and show it on screen. I.E.: the name is John(witch is already in database) if i go and type it again after i hit next to apear a message where it says it is already taken choose another.

19. MFKJ

MFKJ

Recv failure: Connection was reset. i am getting this error

20. Nour_Anwar1992

Nour_Anwar1992

Can i use PHP code run on localhost XAMPP to be connected with Unity??

21. kriteshanand

kriteshanand

Thanks a lot for sharing information on php and Java Script.

22. crystalime

crystalime

23. mr_casco

mr_casco

Is this tutorial still working or is it completely obsolete? Because I see a lot of comments from 2010 and the post itself is from 2009, ten years has passed lol.

24. runner78

runner78

The PHP part is completely obsolete and not working on newer PHP versions.