Search Unity

Turboscalpeur's Grass Forum

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by turboscalpeur, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

That is SSAA that I am also using. For screenshots may be good, but when you set resolution multiplier to "2" it kills cards like 1060GTX and sometimes even 1070GTX :-/. I have to check plugins mentioned by you above. I'm using all from Amplify and these also work fine and look great too.

2. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yess, I never set the Resolution multiplier to "2" too^^; and yess as mentioned above the others Assets works like a charm :)

3. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

@turboscalpeur Have you done any bamboo textures in your packs?

Ive been looking decent sized bamboo but cant find them anywhere. Some meshes on the store but not to sure about them quality wise.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    turboscalpeur likes this.
  4. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

No sadly at the moment, but you can find some great varieties of bamboos from SpeedTree ;)

5. masa045

masa045

Hi turboscalpeur:D
    I'm looking for tropical island vegetation asset.
    I bought HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1
    have you any tropical island vegetation in your asset?
    thank in advance

6. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @masa045, I have only a few at the moment as the Sisyrinchium from the HQ1, then most of them are in the HQ2 as some Ferns, Callisia, Echiums(those ones are from Canary Islands..), Equisetums, Pontederia..and then almost all the new Ferns coming in the next FERNS World Update.

Here, an old scenery I did using the HQ2 with Gaia, some Kapoks, Magnolias and Red Maples from SpeedTree and Houses from 3DForge for the most striking:

Not totally as a "Tropical" vibe but more mixed here!

And about FERNS World, I waiting to achieve the new Ferns to showcase it in Unity but here is an old Screen I did using mostly the Ferns with the DirectX 11 Grass Shader in the Free The Blacksmith: Environments:

Most of the new Ferns coming will be from the epiphyte families :)

Hope that help!

7. masa045

masa045

hello turboscalpeur
    thanks for great information!
    I cant wait new update for ferns world
    btw when will ready new update ferns world?
    sorry for bad english:(

8. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Can't say exactly now, but not too much time to make all done.

masa045 likes this.
  9. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Some news from the FERNS World Asset for the next Update (v.1.5):

• 4 or 5 Grounds (Albedo+Normal+Specular+Height+AO Maps, then maybe more) and their tweaked Materials will be added;
    • Changing the Path Name for the Ferns Textures to FERNS World/Textures (others folders will be added as Grounds, Meshes, Prefabs...);
    • Already Textures existing improved;
    • New Textures;
    • New Models (.fbx) none animated at the moment, some are showcased below;
    • Price will grow;
    Cheers,
    turboscalpeur

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  10. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Some news from the FERNS World Update v.1.5, I have still some Jobs and Improvments to get it alive on the Store, so I still leave as it is now, it is far away the most Bigger Update I have ever made for an Asset with a LOT of new Features coming on (please check the post #163 Reply just above about it);

I will ever recommend for those interested about Ferns and all of kind of it from European to Tropicals, from "classical" to Epiphytes too to purchase it before the Update which should come in one Month to save money;

A quick Test Scene in Screenshots, I made in Unity, I will showcase the Ferns still even more a little later:

Full Description of the Assets used in the Screenshots

11. hopeful

hopeful

@turboscalpeur - Can you elaborate a bit more on the Ferns pack? Why is there a whole pack of ferns instead of just a fern model?

The epiphytes sound interesting. Can you say more about them too?

I live in a desert, and we don't really even have grass, let alone ferns and epiphytes. :)

12. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @hopeful,

Yes, I decided to make a Full Asset Overhaul of Ferns instead of separating and creating a new Ferns Pack which includes only the Models and the old one only Billboards;

I decided this for you Customers whose bought it already and for those whose truly want a Complete Pack of Ferns with a lot of Features included in a "All In One" Asset; In fact, purposing only Billboards for Ferns does not make sense, a lot of Ferns Species truly need a 3D view to get awesome results in your games;

So, those having already purchased the FERNS World Pack are going to be more than winners with the next Update cauz' they will have saved a lot of money from a free Update and have on the same time new ready to use Grounds, Billboards and the big new Feature, the 3D Models!!

About the 3D Models, I have some improvments and optimisations about their Geometry, I'm looking too how to set the .fbx in the best way on Unity as the Basic Shader Engine does not support Translucency Map (...), don't have a right Wind for it too and hesitating for creating LODs directly in the .fbx; this last point will make sense if they can be settled as Ready to Use Prefabs for Customers.

Btw, if none animated, you will have still the possibility to set them with Wind and support all the Maps included using others Grass Shaders/Scripting Assets, they are now more and more in the Asset Store.

Last thing about the Models, they are for all of them settled with only an Albedo Atlas Map + Alpha and one Material which will save you a lot of Performances Impact in your Scenes;

Stay the other Maps, I'm still looking to find the best way for include only a Custom Map which include Normal, Ambient Occlusion and/or Translucency, Smoothness Maps, maybe Specular, Roughness, Gloss too, well the goal is to have the best looking with those in Unity, so I'm exploring from the Standard or Legacy Shaders but Custom Shader, yes will be the best way, anyway waiting too about the new Updates from the Engine where there should be better support and restructure for the Maps in the Unity Basics Shaders.

Hope this is understandable!

About the Epiphytes Families, they are a lot of Different Genus and mostly Species, not only Ferns; these are Plants which don't need the earth grounds to live and eat; Most of them have roots too but these are their "hook" for taking support as Trees, Cables, Houses, Electric Poles etc etc, so they live in the "air" and can be oriented horizontally then different degrees;

As I did, in that Kapok SpeedTree here:

Going more deeply about the Epiphytes Ferns, they are a LOT of in the world !! most of them are in Tropicals areas, then the more large part in South America, but not only their!

There is a lot different varieties and forms etc etc; very amazing Ferns!

If you want to get still even more Informations, here is a wiki link with some Descriptions and other links:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epiphyte

And don't forget to support me and rate me if you like my Assets!!

Best,
    turboscalpeur

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  13. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

This is great news. I'm glad I got most of your assets especially ferns with my game being set in the tropics of Africa. The meshes are a special bonus, I use uNature for the grass shader I presume the meshes will work (wind included) with that as well as your grass/fern textures do.

14. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yes, absolutely !! going to look in one week with @ElroyUnity's uNature Asset last Update how they comes :)

AndyNeoman and ElroyUnity like this.
  15. Hybris_Team

Hybris_Team

These grasses are great! I will be using them for sure. What tree pack did you use in your scenes, I want to buy them as well?? If you are using speedtree, did you buy the tree textures somewhere?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  16. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks !
    I use mostly Speedtrees which comes with the Speedtree Modeler Subscription for every months;

Here is the link:
    https://store.speedtree.com/product/speedtree-modeler-for-unity/

17. CyberRon

CyberRon

Hey.
    I have a problem with your graphics.
    PSD is well.
    But there is a problem with the format of PNG.
    I have a line on the graphics.

http://imgur.com/a/LhNOr

18. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @CyberRon, yess you get these lines artifacts because you modified the original Files from my Assets, you have deleted the empty space below between each Grass Textures and the Layer edge limit;

I'm doing this to prevent this Unity well known bad atlasing bug;

If you consider using the Billboards without get this lines and without the empty spaces, you must use Basics Planes or Custom Planes for each Billboards, like this you will don't get the "two" problems on the same time, then choosing the Asset of your Tastes to scatter, animate them and more.

Best,
    turboscalpeur

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  19. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello everyones, I give some tips on how using rightly my Grass Textures in Unity 5.

1.Using too much Billboards in a Terrain on the same time can affect the sharpness of them; Strangely and I can't explain this but some mixs of Billboards can functioning without any blurriness or so as more than 10-15 on the same time but generally I recommend if using my Billboards without any Grass Shader not more than 7-10 Billboards on a Terrain; Make your own experience you should be able to use less or more, it depends;

2.I always use at least AntiAliasing, AO coupled with my Grass;

3.Using a Grass Shader with the Billboards can make them just Amazing !!

4.Mixing Grass Models (.fbx) with LODs and Grass Billboards, using scarsely the Animations, the Shaders then Optimizing with a GPU Instancing System is currently the best way at my knowledge;

Links to check out what are the Assets I use most of the time

• If using only Billboards for example:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/24734792260/in/album-72157659431189913/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/25835058854/in/album-72157659431189913/

• Using a Grass Shader (DirectX 11 Grass Shader here):
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/28400223503/in/album-72157671583483592/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/29015562712/in/album-72157671583483592/

• Models WIP, I'm currently creating 1st for FERNS World (and some others Models I do):
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/32839119354/in/dateposted/

or

https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/32839115344/in/photostream/

Important!!: I often pushing over the affordable Performances for a Game in my Scene, so for any Grass in the Engine, using them scarsely when spawning them, settling them rightly, using too scarsely the Grass Shaders and the Animations, mixing Grass Billboards and Models, I repeat privilegiate a GPU Instancing System instead of CPU, will help you a lot.

20. kiknchikn

kiknchikn

You're going to be spending at least $200 to achieve that level of clarity and detail.

21. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Hi turboscalpeur,

This is pretty awesome. And you're saying that framerates are fine? I'm really interested in achieving that kind of results
    with your grasses:

Made With GAIA/Unity 5 - HQ1 by turboscalpeur, on Flickr

After reading your post I have some questions though:

1. Are these only simple billboards (picture above) or have you used any custom shader? If you have how did you apply those to a simple billboard that is an image? I mean, when I use regular Unity's terrain tool I can add there only billboards of grass. Even Gaia/Gena uses those billboards to spawn grasses. These billboards don't get any transluency, specularity etc. I think I'm missing something here. Do you create prefabs with your grasses and create custom grass shaders? I'm confused.

2. You've mentioned that using GPU instancing system helps a lot, but does it help when you're using billboards or it works only with prefabs?

3. You've mentioned that you have used "animations". Did you mean Unity's wind zones?

Mike

22. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

If you want truly the same Assets used yess, and more than 200$ in your budget;
    Here is the full list of the Assets I used on that Scene:
    World Creator Professional for the Terrain and Grounds Texturing

GeNa
    Some SpeedTree Models
    RUSTIC Grass Coming Soon available btw now on the Asset Store
    HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1
    DirectX 11 Grass Shader
    WitchWood
    AQUAS Water Set
    PBR Terrain Textures for Unity 5
    Photoreal Stones Pack
    Bird Flock Bundle
    HBAO
    Time Of Day + ToD Weather Manager by Michaël Jimenez
    Beautify
    Colorful FX
    Super Sampling SSAA
    Some others Unity 5 Scripts.

Truly, it depends of what you want to achieve and what precisely you need to get.

About Grass, still on that Scene I used the DirectX 11 Grass Shader mostly and some WIP Models simply spawned with Gena by @AdamGoodrich, I will make for the Store.

After comes the Post Processings, ok they are a lot but for those having a low budget, I recommend this list with any of my Grass Assets (for example but BIG Combo):
    Gaia (if you can with Gena as well) depending still if you are using only Billboards or only Prefabs or both - or the Terrain Editor/System of your choice;

DirectX 11 Grass Shader
    which transform the Grass so beautifully, with a ton of great options to set up, alternated winds etc or the Grass Shader of your Tastes as uNature, InfiniGRASS and Advanced Foliage Shaders v.5 (maybe forgetting someones);

Legacy Cinematic Image Effects

Post Processing Stack

That's all for Grass and it's making if I'm right when adding for example 2 of my Assets to get at least very awesome results: 125$^^

In this, I shall have added Beautify, HBAO they are truly a steal when coupled and changing a lot your visuals with not a big cost of Perfs.

But, doing a Game is an entirely Project (well depending of which style, vibe too...), so you should expect to spend more money if you don't make your own system, your own shaders, own decorations etc etc...

Thanks @Zakowicz :), I remember that Scene was really smoothy got at least 50-60fps mostly everywhere when running at 50^^ and was a great mix with some of the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 (not Billboard option ticked) with a 970 GTX EVGA 4GB of VRAM, Windows 7 64 Bits, Intel Core i7-4790K, 32GB of RAM.

The Assets used where these ones:
    Gaia
    Some SpeedTree Models
    Grass
    Big Rocks
    Photoreal Stones Pack
    Time Of Day
    Scion
    Colorful FX

Some Textures included on Gaia's next release from GameTextures.com;

And some others Scripts (which are Unity 5 natives ones as Bloom, Tonemapping etc etc).

When using these Assets, I often don't use all the sets in it, for example for Scion I remember using the Grain, Exposure, Tonemapping, Chromatic Aberration and Bloom and mixing with colorful FX with only Bleach Bypass, Levels and Vintage or Technicolor FXs.

So, when using different Assets on the same time on your projects, Optimisation is the essential job and maybe the most hard to achieve, you can:

-Settling up the Grass Billboards at 1024p and 16Bits or 8Bits, then using a Grass Shader of your choice in addition;
    -Terrain sets, as Detail Density at 0.5 not more but 250 for the distance;
    -Quality Options with the shadows distances and the LODs sets not too high;
    -Camera Clipping Near Planes to 1.0 and Far Planes depending of the most wide views of your Project;
    -Using Multiples tiled small Terrains as joined "cells" or the contrary a very Big Terrain and dissecated on "cells";
    -Deleting ALL the unusued parts of the Assets you have in your Project and making your own Folders with only what you are using;
    -Choosing your right FOVs, for example in 16:9, I often use 60;
    -Unity have introduced the GPU Instancing since the 5.4 if I'm right and I'm really aware of what coming within', using it is just logic; btw in this point guyz as @ElroyUnity or @LennartJohansen can respond you better than me !;
    -Grass Models as .fbx needs LODs and being supported as well at Unity, I'm working on this with a Friend as well for a true Deffered Shader System with Translucency Maps and more;
    -Billboards needs a Shader in order to get better visuals as a kind of "Fake" Translucency or Specularity, I already listed some of them above;
    -About Animations, I use simply the Unity's Wind zone or mixing with custom ones as the one from the DirectX 11 Grass Shader;

Sorry Mike to have not taken all your Points step by step, but I think I responded to all your questions.

If you still need more help, don't hesitate to pm me, will make my best to help you :)

masa045 and docsavage like this.
  23. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Some new Screens from one of my last Scene still working on FERNS World:

I'm quite late on the FERNS World's Update and I apologise for this, but the Improvments in it are just unbelievables and all the new features will give you the ability to create just true Forested, Tropical or so areas within'.

I have still a lot of work by the way in it.

The Assets used on that Scene:
    World Creator Professional for the Terrain
    GeNa
    Some SpeedTree Models
    FERNS World WIP
    Photoreal Stones Pack
    PBR Graveyard Pack
    Bird Flock Bundle 2
    Frog And Skeleton
    Distingo
    AQUAS Water Set
    HBAO
    Dynamic Fog & Mist
    Time Of Day
    Beautify
    Post Processing Stack
    Colorful FX
    Super Sampling SSAA
    Some others Unity 5 Scripts

The Grass used in that Scene are exclusively .fbx Models I'm creating.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  24. docsavage

docsavage

Those images are top quality! Really like how the ferns pack has developed:) Thanks

25. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks Doc, hope you will like, some patience and I will deliver it :)

26. docsavage

docsavage

Will probably love it. Not seen anything in any of your packs that isn't top quality.

27. JBT27

JBT27

Good news - looking forward to the ferns update.

28. sarum

sarum

hey :)

love the ferns world .. your grasses are awesome !!

fairySunsetA.jpg

fairySunsetB.jpg

fairySunsetC.jpg

pt2.jpg

pt3.jpg

29. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

30. sarum

sarum

me i want to see you blue picture again :)

31. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

32. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

2 Sphericals Surfaces Vegetation varied Models all from my Photos, I did some times ago getting Backfaces, Translucence, Lights,Shadows and some others Shaders working on:

33. sarum

sarum

34. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

35. sarum

sarum

i think it was this one .. but in my memories it was blue and different .. so who knows :p
    love the albums !!

31793508046_beb02d738b_o.jpg

36. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Ok, I see now which ones it was I posted on the GeNa Forum, yess this one you posted was the original screenshot then I had slightly photoshopped it for the Christmas fun from a Laptop, here it is (hidden on Flickr):

Moreover, I used it for making the last HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 Icon^^.

The same night, I did those ones:

You can find the Description of the Assets used below the Screenshot from that link:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/31793508236/in/photostream/

37. sarum

sarum

bingo, that's the ones !
    i like the color scheme .. i can hear fairies singing in the background :)

38. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

@turboscalpeur - thank you for this detailed answer. I'm also using lots of those add-ons, plugins etc., but I was interested, in particular, in custom grass shaders and how these work with thousands of billboards. I think I'll buy DX11 grass shader as I need only something that would make your grasses look even better.

39. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yes, the DirectX11 Grass Shader Asset can give from my testings with it and my current Billboards truly Amazing Results;
    Btw, I had only used it in a way which can cost a lot of on the Perfs and I think as @Nonakesh already explained me, they are a lot of possibilities within' to use/settle it.

40. StormchaserZA

StormchaserZA

41. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I had said it yess, I will make some Videos Tutorials to show how I do my Sceneries depending of the Assets used, so yes I will but I can't give a true delay at the moment sadly;

You can anyway pm me describing me which are your Assets used and your Project then seeing where I can help you quickly for now :)

StormchaserZA likes this.
  42. StormchaserZA

StormchaserZA

Well I am using two of your asset packs but personally I need to see how a pro works :) I think that's the only way I will improve on map design.

43. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Looks great. Sorry if i've missed it but is there a release date on the ferns world update. It is going to be a perfect fit for my african tropical rainforest game.

44. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @AndyNeoman Thanks! I feel sorry for the long delay, I can't give now a release date and I don't want to make only a Patch in the FERNS World Update coming;

So, on the same time working on different Projects, the FERNS World Update is my priority and I will advise here when it will be submitted on the Store.

45. masa045

masa045

Hi turboscalpeur;)
    I'm using your asset recently
    it's very useful
    thank you for such great asset

I'm interesting antialiasing asset for now
    is there any difference standard unity antialiasing asset and
    payed asset (super sampling ssaa).

btw, speedTree ArborDay sale begin :eek:
    best regards.

46. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @masa045, sorry for the late reply and thanks !

You can find here the Assets used in my last Scene:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/33649059311/in/photostream/

About antialiasing, I would have simply used the one from Unity here:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/?gclid=CKrPhYPIpcQCFUbKtAodUC4A_w#!/content/83912

Then added a Grass Shader of your choice within'!

Best,
    turboscalpeur

masa045 likes this.
  47. movra

movra

48. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Well, this Forum is mostly dedicated for the Grass Packs I have published or their Updates & the New Coming Grass Assets I'm working on.

I think you will find more TIPS about your Questions on the appropriates Forums too.

If this can help, I started a new Scene, (that's only the begining of the build) with these Assets using Unity 5.6.0f3:
    Adam Exterior Environment
    GeNa
    FERNS World WIP (only a Few Models WIP)
    Some others Custom Meshes Grass

Photoreal Stones Pack
    HBAO
    Post Processing Stack
    Beautify

Screenshots without Beautify:

Screenshots with Beautify on the right side:

49. movra

movra

Of course, I apologize for putting you on the spot.

Thanks for taking the time to make those comparison images. Those are screenshots from Unity, not photographs, right? ;) Of course I have bought every one of your assets.

50. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yess, these are not retouched Screenshots from Unity !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.