Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Turboscalpeur's Grass Forum

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by turboscalpeur, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Heya Shawn Thanks!

Making my best to provide it the most sooner possible :)

docsavage and BackwoodsGaming like this.
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm having a bit of a problem, I think its a bug with the grass or something, it doesn't look crispy sharp like my old pictures from the last project, I completely made a new one not to long ago. I'll show you.

(BEFORE)

(NOW)

I don't know, maybe it's just me.

3. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Sorry, I can't see in the new one as it's at night a kind of comparison.

If you see more "blurred" Grass so less sharper, it's simply coming from the fact you are using too much different Details Textures in your Terrain on the same time, Unity does not support this at the moment;

So, what I will recommend you is, to use less Details Textures (as not more than 7) on each Terrains or trying some "right" combinations sometimes and I can't explain it (Unity "thing") using more can function but nothing about the usual sharpness of my Grass have been changed.

You can too trying mixing simple Details Textures with Details Meshes and/or Grass Textures + Meshes + Direct X11 Grass Shader or InfiniGRASS or Advanced Foliage Shader etc..

I'm near to submit the 4th Grass Asset with some Basics tweaked Meshes in it, it will be the same for my others Assets on the next Updates.

For those using the SpeedTree Modeler in their Project, you can build too Grass Meshes with my Textures and optimize them in it^^

jimmikaelkael and Deleted User like this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thank you! I was using a bit to many grasses! ;)

turboscalpeur likes this.
  5. Teila

Teila

How can one help it with all the wonderful grasses!!! It is Turbo's fault. :)

6. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I apologize for this :D

Teila and hopeful like this.
  7. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

The RUSTIC Grass Pack have been submitted to Unity (v.5.0.0f4) the last night ! :)

Waiting now for Admission.

EDIT: I re-submitted the Pack tonight 13th December of 2016, please read below for the changes in the RUSTIC Grass.

Pack contains:
    • 80 Grass Textures from Photographies 4K to 2K with Alpha Blending adjusted, Perfect Background Color & Alpha Transparency;

• A Ground Texture;
    • A simple Terrain Demo;
    • A Grass Board to help you in your Grass choices;
    The Price will be at 15$. I'm planning finally to separate the 2D Textures and the Modelised ones, so new Assets will come in the others categories.
    Btw, I planning to release a small and basic Meshes Assets to use with my Textures Assets.

RUSTIC Grass + DirectX 11 Grass Shader + SpeedTrees + AQUAS + GeNa (for the most striking / entire description here):

Mixed simple Details Textures in 1024p and Prefabs settled with the DX11 Grass Shader Asset in this Scene.

If you want to see more Screenshots >>>

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
  8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Amazing, amazing! As always, I will be getting my hands on this! :)

9. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Tried tonight a Grass mix with the Acorus_02, Acorus_03 from the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 as Details Textures and built fastly with a simple leave of Acorus a Poly Meshe, then settled it in Unity using within' the DX11 Grass Shader Asset by @Nonakesh and GeNa by @AdamGoodrich (for the full list of the Assets used >>>):

Looking from above to see the differences between Details Grass and "Meshed" Grass:

Then played a little with the sizes etc...

From above again:

More to come :)
    turboscalpeur

10. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I'm currently creating some new Grass Models (New Meshes + New Textures), then while testing them, my "always goes to" is to screening my results :)

Going more and more advanced, in some times, all my Grass Assets are going to be totally evolved for a very big Update for each one, the Version 2.0, as mentioned some times ago.

On the same time, we are starting working more deeply about the Performances impact of Grass in Unity and fixing too some issues as the Details Meshes "dancing" Grass which have been solved by @jimmikaelkael, and more and more...can't say too much now.

What I can recommend for interested Purchasers on my Assets, is to buy my Grass Packs now, cauz' the Price will grow with the next updates and I'm now really advanced in each of them^^.

So some Screens about what you could expect to have in my Packs in the future (Important! I used in this Scene the DirectX 11 Grass Shader Asset, you will be able to use my Grass with by purchasing it or without it and getting big results, even if I tend to say the Shader Asset made by @Nonakesh for me is just very essential in the way to custom every Grass!!)

Obviously SpeedTrees ROCKS!!!

From above:

For those having already the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1, look! these are only some different leaves of Acorus from the Pack, then settled with new Meshes and get this then closely! I will provide them obviously

A little more above to see how the Grass as Meshed look :):

And again with some more different Grass^^:

A last one:

Best,

turboscalpeur

mgear, docsavage, Acissathar and 3 others like this.
  11. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @turboscalpeur :)

These images particularly the first one look top class. Really showing off what can be done with unity and good assets. The dried grasses pack is really nice. A great addition to the others.

12. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello Doc^^, yes it is the new Grass Pack is joining the other ones & on the same time evolving a lot with the current existing ones :) you will have still more choice, you will be able to use simple Details Textures or "Meshed" Grass (a Meshes Data will be provided with built Prefabs) from simple Details Meshes, ready to use Prefabs with a scatterer Asset or to customize them with a Shader or so...really really more opened or to use a mix of all!!

2 examples of how a Diffuse can be built in the next updates (obviously as flatten .jpg, you can't see the Alphas but they are there in the original files^^):

13. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Holy mother... Still waiting for the extensions! I want all your settings! Gaia, GENA I don't care!
    Damn @turboscalpeur how do you create such nice levels?!? Really looking forward for verion 2.0 seems that grass now looks realistic also from above.

Cheers
    Ronny

14. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks Ronny hehe^^ :)
    I'm now still modelising and creating new Textures as well, then will redo just after all the Packs, with Prefabs added in it.
    You can already get amazing results with the Packs using a custom grass Shader of your choice, build fastly your own models with the SpeedTree Modeler or so, then just taking care about the Performances impact ;)

About the extensions with Gaia and GeNa, better updating first all my Assets, then will see what's going on about it;

I want to show off some levels design too, to help build natural environments, just waiting now from Mates whose are working on Performances in Unity :)

15. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I have re-submitted the RUSTIC Grass Pack tonight as exclusive Textures Asset.

Please check just above the #111 Reply for more informations.

docsavage likes this.
  16. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Congrats on your pack going live @turboscalpeur - brilliant as usual!! :)

17. Knightmore

Knightmore

I wonder why it doesn't show up under new assets.. but whatever... bought it :D

turboscalpeur and AdamGoodrich like this.
  18. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

19. derkoi

derkoi

20. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi, such a Beautiful Plant, I have one of this variety already photographed and ready to be done but not ready at the moment sadly;

It will be done and added on a next Update of the RUSTIC Grass :)

21. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, the British countryside is covered in them in the warmer months so it always look odd not having them.

The game Everybody's Gone To The Rapture uses them to great effect.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  22. runningbird

runningbird

just purchased the rustic grasses!!!
    Can't wait for the Gaia extension

23. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks !
    Hope you will like it!!

Just back now, we will see what's happening about the compatibilities with Assets as Gaia for the new coming year :)

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  24. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

jimmikaelkael and TeagansDad like this.
  25. hopeful

hopeful

Would it really work that way? I think if you buy them together you wouldn't get any upgrade price savings ... and if you purchase one before the other it would be only $2.50 savings.

Anyway, still a good sale. :)

26. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks @hopeful; correcting this now!!

Done.

27. hoodoo

hoodoo

Thanks @turboscalpeur! I purchased HQ Grass Packs 1 & 2 (got the $5 upgrade price on this one), plus your Ferns.

28. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

You are welcome :)

Have fun with !!

29. docsavage

docsavage

Just to let you know from my own tests and game that Turboscalpeur grasses + Horzion Based Ambient Occlusion from @jimmikaelkael = Some of best terrains possible!

jimmikaelkael and turboscalpeur like this.
  30. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks @docsavage :)

I must say, don't remember exactly since how many time, but I use always now the HBAO by @jimmikaelkael with my Grass as well :)

jimmikaelkael likes this.
  31. docsavage

docsavage

HBAO is really good at making any scene less glaring. Performs well also.

turboscalpeur and jimmikaelkael like this.
  32. docsavage

docsavage

...and when the grasses and plants are that good then it goes without saying :)

33. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  34. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Awesome !!

35. sstrong

sstrong

Great variety in the Rustic Grass pack! LandscapeBuilder_RusticGrass1.png

Assets used:

Rustic Grass pack :)
    Landscape Builder
    Nature Pack (rocks)
    AQUAS (river water)
    3DForge (House)

36. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Great @sstrong :)

37. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

The rustic grass pack comes with a grass texture. Is it planed to add specular / metallic texture to it same to a Height Map? As I can see right now the Texture just comes with the Normal Map for it.
    I could create the Textures myself but just asking to get it "officially" in the pack. Because Heightmaps are pretty important for RTP / Tessalation / POM Features.

Cheers
    Ronny

38. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @RonnyDance,

I may add more Maps in each Grounds provided as Specular, AO and Height Maps on the next Updates of each of my Assets.

Yes, I'm now focusing updating 1st FERNS World, then the HQ's Volumes with new features.

I tend to say it stay now only 2 days before resubmitting the RUSTIC Grass and the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 back to 15$!!

Best,
    turboscalpeur

39. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I going to re-submit the RUSTIC Grass and the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 Packages back to 15$, at the begining of the week coming, should be Monday night;

I can't say how many time it will going to be accepted as well from the Unity Asset Store Team;

Cheers,
    turboscalpeur

40. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

ElroyUnity likes this.
  41. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @turboscalpeur

Your assets look great. Which of the grass packs would you recommend for African plains/Rainforest type terrains?

Thanks,

Andy

42. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @AndyNeoman,

Thanks !

Hard to say for African Terrains below the Mediterranean areas as the Sahara, Sahel or Equatorial Forest; If you truly need specific and realist Grass from there, I have only a few real species mostly some which are from the same Family or Genus.

Then, they are in distributed in each of my Assets..I'm thinking in particulary of that ones

HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1:
    -The coverage Grass which can fit easily kind of plains/savannah
    -Dry Grass too for plains/savannah
    -Euphorbia species for plains/savannah
    -Salvia for plains/savannah
    -Sansevieria (African species) for plains/savannah
    -Sea Grass for plains/savannah near water or so

HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2:
    -Asphodelus for plains/savannah
    -Cattails (near water/lakes)
    -Centaurea Yellow for plains/savannah
    -Dry Grass for plains/savannah
    -Echium (these are the ones from the Canary Islands)
    -Wild and Field Grass
    -Foeniculum species
    -Iris
    -Juncus (near water)
    -Kniphofia (African species)
    -Papyrus (near water)
    -Phlomis
    -Salvia

FERNS World:
    Most of them are European species at my knowledge even if some are from Tropical areas too, then I'm working now on the next Update where you will have more new Tropical Ferns species;

It will fit greatly your Rainforest Scenes!!

RUSTIC Grass:
    -Dry Grass
    -Dune and Sea Grass
    -Most of the rustic Grass

I hope that help!

BackwoodsGaming and AndyNeoman like this.
  43. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

I picked up Ferns yesterday. Looks amazing.

I'm learning toward HQ Vol 1 for the grass to go with it but it is a hard choice in a good way.

44. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

You should buy both HQ Volumes if you have 5$ more by upgrading; I mean it will be not every months I will make Sales for it, moreover every times I make a new Update of my Assets, you have improvments on it and new Grass as well :)

AndyNeoman likes this.
  45. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

You are absolutely right. They look great. Although you now caused a game delay while I go through and choose from so many great looking grasses........

46. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hehe sorry for this :)

I hope it will fit perfectly your Game !!

Some News on the same time, I going to add 3 Grounds Textures (with their Maps) on each of my Grass Packs; for example the ones coming for the RUSTIC Grass Pack (Albedo+Normal+AO Maps on the screens):

Then quickly mixed:

EDIT: The Automn Leaves Ground rehosted (as Material with more Maps) using Distingo

Last edited: Jan 11, 2017
  47. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

*Hoping for some rainforest love on the ground textures of any of the other three packs ;)

48. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yess, I'm planning too to add more "greener" and Rocks Grounds for example in the FERNS World Pack :)

I think, I will stay btw to 3 Grounds on each Packs as they are Grass and not Terrain Textures Assets!

AndyNeoman likes this.
  49. Zaki_X

Zaki_X

Hi! Great textures there turboscalpeur. I was thinking about best AA solution for a grassy terrain. I bet that what you have used was SSAA that simply quadruples the resolution and unfortunately is not very effective (looks great though). Is there any other AA solution that you would recommend? I've tried TAA (beta- few builds), but this is still full of bugs and gives very blurry image.

Mike

50. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks Mike !

To clarify, I always use SSAA on my Scenes only for the Screenshot Tool which is the best I found in Unity as it uses Downsampling and Filters.

The Assets used for making my Scenes more beautiful are often those ones (forgot to adjust the scripts on the right orders): HBAO, Beautify, Colorful FX, Time of Day lighting that's all.

I must say HBAO + Beautify are a great Combo !!

About Grass Shader, I will recommend the DirectX 11 Grass Shader which is very good and with this, AA are not needed from my experience.

Didn't tried a lot sadly the last Post-Processing from Unity, so I can't say how they are at the moment...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    BackwoodsGaming likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.