Search Unity

Turboscalpeur's Grass Forum

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by turboscalpeur, Apr 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hi,
    Welcome to the "Turboscalpeur's Grass Forum" dedicated for:

HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1
    HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2
    FERNS World
    RUSTIC Grass

These Assets are Compilations of Unique High Quality Grass Textures designed to fit the widest possible your Games/Projects Vegetation in term of quality, customisation, density or not, realism, diversity and harmony.
    All the Textures are based on Photography and reworked after in different Softs to create Files from 4K(4096x4096) to 2048p compressed in the Unity Engine.
    They are all in .psd Format with an Alpha Layer, to you to adjust easily using Photoshop or others Soft.
    You can use them as simple Grass Details/Billboards or customize with Meshes.
    They are compatible with every other Assets as far they are supporting Textures Files, so a lot of.

***All the Screenshots below are made with others Assets, only the Grasses are included on the Packs.***

This Thread is made for those whose have already some of my Grasses Assets or for people whose are interested to purchase it.
    I will make my best to provide any Help, Support, Request, Suggestion.
    If you need Informations, have any ask on it so this is the place to be.

Video Showcasing:

They are compiled in a Subcategory called "Grass".
    All the Textures have a Description Name directly taken from Botany Species or from their corresponding taxon, sizes, colors, kind of.. depending of my knowledge &/or the most appropriate Names.
    The "Grass Ground Covers" Files are meant to be used mostly as Coverages Grass even if they can be used too as Isolated Grass.
    The "Grass" Files have the same uses (Coverage or Isolated), but some are featured to be scattered very slightly as the Bushes for example.

HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 in some Screenshots:

______________________________________________________________________________

2ND EDIT (May 19th): The HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 v.1.5 is ALIVE!!!

EDIT: The HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 v.1.5 have been submitted the May 18th. Check the Reply #46 for more informations.

As the first HQ Volume, the Grass are mostly European Flora.

They are meant to be used as Coverages or Isolated ones.
    But, that Asset have some specifications; a lot of different Flowers, Fields Grass and a large bunch of Waterside Plants are compiled in it, and more!

HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 in some Screenshots:

Note: New Screenshots of the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 will come with the next Update.

______________________________________________________________________________

The HQ Volumes have been built to join together as a Flora Overhaul in your Games/Projects. The most exhaustive possible, they are complementary!!
    >>>

As the title suggests, FERNS World is focused about the Ferns Species. Almost all of them are currently European's Varieties.
    Even if, you have some Combined Files with some others kind of Grasses, that Asset is very "wet".
    It will populate for you rivers, waterfalls, mountains, forests etc.. areas.

FERNS World 2D and FERNS World Volumes WIP in some Screenshots:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/turboscalpeur/albums/72157662519772269

Note: New Screenshots of FERNS World will come with the next Update.

Friday 16th of December 2016 The New Baby is OUT!!

Please check the Pack Description or the Forum Thread Replies for more informations/Screens about it.

2 Screens:

More Screens of the RUSTIC Grass Pack >>>

Enjoy !!

You can see more Screenshots on my Flickr Gallery here >>>

All my Assets are built in the Unity 5.0.0 or 5.0.1; But, I strongly recommend to use a more advanced Version of Unity, as Textures needs good AA, Post-Processings.

Some Additionnals Assets will improve too your results;

After, completing my current Updates, I will work on:

• more Description as a ReadMe for each of my Assets
    • GX Extensions for Gaia
    • showcasing as some Screenshots/Videos
    • New Textures Grass Assets
    • Custom Meshes Asset

And more to come!

I wish for every of you a Great Experience with my Assets!

turboscalpeur

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Mauri, Kronnect, montyfi and 6 others like this.
  2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Great work - looking forward to seeing how these assets develop!! :)

graphicmonk and turboscalpeur like this.
  3. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks @Adam :) staying tuned, just one year and some days now, i published my First Grass Asset and i'm still in the improvements/updates for it; going to see what the future holds!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  4. wolfen231

wolfen231

Awesome, a place to talk about the sexy grass now!

turboscalpeur likes this.
  5. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hehe! There is for everything Tastes and Colors^^

6. wolfen231

wolfen231

Hehe. I want to put together a nice jungle texture set and use your ferns I purchased a while back with Gaia. Would be grand.

7. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Great idea! you have already some choices, pretty different Ferns sizes and tweakables :)
    Would be happy to see it in Images!

8. wolfen231

wolfen231

Yeah. I already started playing with some terrain textures. Just need to get back to it at some point.

9. Teila

Teila

Here are some pictures of terrains using @turboscalpeur 's grasses. They are wonderful, the best I have used. :)

Ferns:
    BigTrees_Ferns.png

Grassy Meadows, Turbo mixed with Marcurios grasses.

BeautifulSlope.png
    GrassField.png
    HighMeadow.png StorybookCottage.png

10. Teila

Teila

I should have some more once I take the time to replace other environments with Turbo's grasses. :)

11. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Any opinions on ways to deal with that thing where when you look down, you see the weakness of Unity-rendered grass? A lot of screenshots are set up at angles that make things look nice, but for first-person games, you often see this sort of thing when you look down:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28342849/Unity_misc/Unity Terrain/UnityGrass.png

I've followed the InfiniGRASS thread a bit, and it seems to have solved that issue somehow. Any other solutions out there? Anybody happen to know if Turbo's grass textures work well with InfiniGRASS or somehow hide the limitations of Unity's grass rendering?

12. Teila

Teila

You made me curious so checked out the Infinitigrass demo. Looks exactly like the picture you linked. The grass is still flat planes with a texture applied and placed in random patterns and will more than likely look the same when looking down. I suppose if you make the grass really thick it would be fine, and that is true of both Infinitigrass and Unity grass. However, performance will be affected so it depends on how important grass is to you. :)

My hay field above, looked great when looking down, but I would never want that sort of thickness all over the world.

13. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Great Teila :) and Thanks for sharing! i love your "wide wild places"!

I have added still more Grass on each of my Assets with the come on updates :)

Hello Steve :), i'm not an advanced user of InfiniGRASS, but all my Grasses are compatible within', with some skills you should be able to get some great results. i'm a lot of interested to see how it can go within';
    I give you some others points, to prevent what you are showing about Unity Details Rendering, the best way is to use for instance, custom/adapted Meshes on your Grass Textures.

I may work the most sooner as possible, on a Custom Meshe Asset for my Grasses but on the same time i'm looking forward to the next Grass Textures Generation, shall be the best solution ever made.
    As in The vanishing of Ethan Carter's Game.

14. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

@Teila hmm, that's interesting. At about 2:05 in this video, there's a good zoomed-in top view:

The point of the video is to show off the dynamic interaction, but it does happen to be a pretty close top view and uses *some* sort of technique to mask the "sprite" look. What I'm getting is that the same sort of tricks apply to both Unity grass and InfiniGRASS (grass meshes?). It seems the main features of InfiniGRASS are performance and interaction (which is pretty cool). Thanks for clarifying.

Grass isn't even that important to me, but by default it can look distractingly terrible. :)

Ah, those screenshots look fantastic. Thanks for the info. I look forward to whatever you come up with! :)

15. Teila

Teila

Hmm, there is a bit more distance in that video between the ground and the first person character. I walked around in the demo and while I could not look down, I could see the same sprite issues as in your picture looking obliquely down.

Maybe the masks only work straight down and that is why. You probably won't know until you actually try it if it suits your needs.

16. Teila

Teila

Hey, guys...a little AO can help a lot with that sprite/ground transition. I don't remember seeing any issues in my game but I do use an AO image effect that creates a little darkness at the roots of the grass.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Found this in getting started. Not sure why it was, so I moved it to assets forum.

AdamGoodrich, turboscalpeur and Teila like this.
  18. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Apparently some people just go ahead and use detail meshes for grass rather than even use the grass terrain feature. Obviously there could be performance concerns, but I might be able to get away with that.

That's a good tip on AO, I'll have to try that.

19. Teila

Teila

If you can get away with that, the Speedtree grasses are beautiful. We need better performance as a busy multiplayer game but if I didn't need that, I would go with those. :)

20. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks, my bad!

Interesting Technique i must say about InfiniGRASS, i guess @nasos_333 have already tried my Textures on his Asset;

Thanks for that info Teila.

If you don't regards for FPS Costs, you can too spam a lot of Grass Textures on a Terrain (64K!!), it will mask on some ways when you look from above but never as with Meshes or you can try to replace a Texture from an existing Meshe depending of which result you will get bad or not (so good), if you want to diversify. You can too use both on the same time in a Terrain for example Grass Textures "Coverages" and Grass Meshes "Isolated" or the contrary, should be a Great Combo.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

To clarify, the difference of my system is that you can control the planes and add planes horizontally for top down coverage, so there is different case than Unity grass that has only billboards, but of course requires more planes to cover for both front and top down case combined (but not many more, 1-2 will cover well).

Another thing is that i have a random rotation mode, which creates a non patterned look and thicker placement, so that mode helps further in covering ground best.

InfiniGRASS of course can do any mesh (even trees, ferns, rocks, mushrooms etc), not just quads, so grass can be full 3D as well and any shape desired to cover ground best.

22. nasos_333

nasos_333

The system uses meshes as well, here is a pic with mix of mesh grass and billboards (billboards dont use random rotation mode here, so can look even thicker and less patterned)

http://i.imgur.com/d15fhzS.jpg

There is no limitation as to how the grass can be also. I attach a video with some half way top down video too with wind for reference

The system should play great with Turboscalpeur's amazing assets, which can be mapped in quads or any mesh (eg quads augmented with a pointy end etc for better bending)

AdamGoodrich and turboscalpeur like this.
  23. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

@nasos_333, you are providing us an Awesome Solution for Natural Environments, very flexible; i'm a lot of interested to try InfiniGRASS with my Textures. Thanks to give us all of those Informations.

I remain open in my Thread to further discussion to advance the best Ways about my Grasses coupled with others Assets as InfiniGRASS :)

nasos_333 likes this.
  24. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Thanks for the info. All of that sounds really great. I'm doing a single player game geared toward PC, so I can probably get away with meshes or at least more planes. I could have just asked about that on the InfiniGRASS thread I guess (and was about to!). It sounds like a great system. It's my #1 most wanted asset at the moment. Sounds like it would work great with the @turboscalpeur textures too. And of course the helicopter wind effect is TOO COOL (I was the one who asked about that on your thread).

btw, here's what I got when I applied the Sonic Ether AO image effect in my little test terrain scene:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28342849/Unity_misc/Unity Terrain/UnityGrass2.png

IT'S LIKE I'M THERE! Haha, I'm sure with the right settings it would make a difference, but that made me laugh. I'm obviously looking forward to better grass textures and very likely InfiniGRASS too.

25. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I'm starting to manage some new videos, this one is not available anymore;

You can refer to my last Posts on the Forum to see what's new and going on.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  26. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Gorgeous as usual!!

27. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks Mate :)

AdamGoodrich likes this.
  28. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Some new Screenshots; did it fastly in 5 Min. in Gaia mixing the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 & 2 with only 16 Grasses Textures mostly ticked as Billboards :):

For those whose have already the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2, i can share a pre-update of it, just send me a mail at turboscalpeur@gmail.com with your purchasing order.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  29. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

About Performances Costs with my Grasses, for information all my Textures are natively settled in 2048p (even the ones in 4K), you can see it by looking on each Textures Inspector like that for example:

These are the Defaults Settings;
    If you don't know about it, you can yet modify the Max Size for example from 2048p to 1024p to win of Performances.

30. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

I have just made a Demo i'm sharing only in Windows for instance.
    You can try in it as well a small bunch of my Grasses from the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 & 2:

and coupled with some others Assets, i'm listing here:
    Creation Scene in Unity 5.3.4 using:

Gaia 1.5.3
    Grass
    Backwoods Gaming
    WitchWood
    Viking Village
    Volumetric Fog & Mist
    Realistic Smoke Set
    Bird Flock Bundle
    Distingo
    Cinematic Image Effects pre-release
    Time Of Day
    Scion
    Colorful FX
    Amplify Color
    Some others Unity Scripts.

You will be able to screen with the F12 key in it too and having some cool Screenshots, as that ones i did quickly to show you:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  31. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

32. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Thanks a LOT! for sharing those Great Screenshots @jimmikaelkael, with some efforts you will get still even better results within' :)

33. jimmikaelkael

jimmikaelkael

Yeah, I'm learning every days :)

34. hopeful

hopeful

@turboscalpeur - I notice there is a tendency for the grass to form tiling (-ish) patterns in the pictures and video above. Are there techniques available to reduce this?

35. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @hopeful, if i have understood you rightly, you are speaking about the fact than some same grasses are scattered really closed together in a lot of places and some others not. Right?

If so, as i'm using the Gaia's Spawners and Visualiser, yes you can leave it by settling the Slope fitness more higher on each Grass on the Gaia's Visualiser, to be spawned mostly "everywhere" and/or "isolated" depending too of what kind of Spawner you are using Clustered or Coverage one and settling them.

For example, on the Clustered Grass, i'm now settling often like that:

Look at the "Max Cluster Size = 1"!

Spawning the same Grasses sometimes more than 20x times! and the contrary 1 or 2 times for the Coverage Detail Spawners!

I'm playing too with the "Locations Per Spawn" a lot of more higher as 7500 in the Clustered ones.

But before i'm always settling my grasses first on the Visualiser checking the Dna, height (if i want for example some grass only near the water or only in some mountains) and Slope as well until getting the results intented.
    And after, i tweak the Spawners. You can too use some Perlin Masks to leave some Grasses on some areas/grounds.

In my current experience, by spawning Grass in Gaia, i realised that i could make every kind of scattering, isolated or not, densified etc etc.

36. hopeful

hopeful

I'm not sure that's it, but maybe it's a related artifact. It just seems when I look at some of the grass, there's almost a cloth-like grain or pattern. Like in the foreground of this image below. Maybe it comes about because of a lack of randomness in the spatial placement of the grass?

37. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

No, there is not any artifact there :); and yes what you see, i mean how is disposed the Grass on that screen is coming from only how i settled them in Unity/Gaia and how i took the screen (was jumping on that one so the angle/perspective).

38. jbob007

jbob007

Some screenshots:
    GrassyHill3.jpg purpleflowers3jpeg.jpg

Great grasses! Thanks for sharing some of your Gaia spawner rules!

ikazrima, montyfi, docsavage and 3 others like this.
  39. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

40. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @turboscalpeur,

Really happy with these grass packs. They are top class. Only thing I would suggest is that you add a few basic meshes that customers can add the grasses to so they can add terrain details that are not billboards. I made my own in blender but they may be useful to some customers. If you want me to send you a copy of the meshes I created you can have them. They are only simple quads and for some grass would be need bending in the middle so the grasses look right but generally they do the job.

If anyone makes their own though make sure the rotation and scale is set up correctly as unity terrain treats the detail meshes different to the billboards and you can end up with all the plants on their side or upside down.

doc :)

41. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Hello @docsavage ^^, this is a very interesting purpose. Since i started creating my Textures Assets, i suggested they were better with Meshes as i tested most of them before release with some custom ones!
    As written, on my 1st Post Presentation of the Forum, i'm planning to make a custom Meshes Asset for my Textures; so i can say you are just joining me on the same goal and you have already some of the material to concretize it.

Pm me at turboscalpeur@gmail.com to see what we can do :)

jimmikaelkael likes this.
  42. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Some news from the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2, i have submitted it the last night, v.1.5.
    As said earlier, i did a lot of Improvments to the current Textures (v.1.2), modified or replaced some of them and added some new Textures.

With the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 v.1.5, you will have now 140 Textures.
    From 4K(4096x4096) or 4096x2048 or 2048x2048 or 2048x1024, the most part of the files are in 2K(2048x2048) and all the files are directly compressed in Unity in 2048p even the ones in 4K.

You can always decrease in 1024p on each Texture Inspector, to win of performances and keep the same Quality coupled with your Post Processings, modify too as well the Wrap Mode, Filter Mode and the Aniso Level.

Small tip: if you don't know about it you can directly settle all the Textures from a same folder by making a full selection like that "just click on the 1st Texture and click again with the Shift Keyword to the last Texture".

Good news, @ElroyUnity is currently working on an Asset which will make us an important win of FPS and this by doesn't take care anymore about the amount or grass density!!
    Here are the news about it: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/co...actable-trees-multithreading-and-more.401139/

Important, The size of the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 v.1.5 will be above than 600 MOs, all the Grass Names have been changed and the Asset Path too.

So, i strongly recommend to make a backup of your previous version (if you have it already) and deleting it completely before reuploading the new one.
    These are the last Changes about Names & Path; they will be not modified anymore in the future.

If, you need the new version with the Old Grass Names & Path, you can always contact me by mail (turboscalpeur@gmail.com) with your purchasing order, i will give you it.

Next step now, are both the Gaia's GX Extensions for the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 & 2 and updating too the FERNS World.

Some Screens of my last Scene, to keep in touch as always ;)

About Grass on that Screens, they are all coming from only the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2.

Cheers,
    turboscalpeur

43. docsavage

docsavage

Really nice pics.

TeagansDad and turboscalpeur like this.
  44. docsavage

docsavage

45. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

i'm using the Volumetric Fog & Mist coupled with the Dynamic Fog & Mist and some tweaks/adjustments with Time of Day as the Scattering ones.

TeagansDad likes this.
  46. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

The HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 v.1.5 is already alive on the Asset Store!!

Check it >>>here<<<

Unity Submission have been very faster, i'm greatly surprised :)

For those whose are updating it, please check first the Version Changes.

I forgot to presice it but the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.2 is now at 10$ if you are upgrading from the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 v.1.5.

Have fun,
    turboscalpeur

47. montyfi

montyfi

Thank you! Time to buy I assume :)

48. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

Yep, my pleasure!

I going to update soon too the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1.

v.1.7 Changes Version:
    -GX Extension for Gaia (currently working on it)

-The "Grass Ground Covers" folder have been removed, all the Textures will be compiled on the "Grass" folder. You will be able to overwrite from the v.1.5 and just deleting the "Grass Ground Covers" folder.

-Fixed some above and edges lines artifacts (by mixing some Grass it could still happening from far distance and disappearing when coming more closely, i'm waiting at this stage for the Unity 5.4 new Terrain Update.).

-Now the Grass Textures are ALL in Square Ratio and settled like that below

49. turboscalpeur

turboscalpeur

So, i'm near to make the Update for the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 v.1.7 with its GX eXtension for Gaia;

Thanks a lot of to @AdamGoodrich , @Shawn67 and @jimmikaelkael for all the helps & testings :)

A small Description:
    The HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1's GX eXtension for Gaia, will give you the abilities to use fastly some Pre-Settled Grass Environments or to customise very easily all the Grass compiled in the Pack in Gaia/Unity 5;

You will just have to click on the "Create Pack Resources File" Button and then add each Spawners you want to use;

The Spawners are categorised in 2 Sections:
    Spawners: These 16 Spawners are compiling all the current 72 Grass Textures from the HQ Photographic Textures Grass Pack Vol.1 in subcategories; they are basically pre-settled in order to you to use and mix them on your own wishes.

Spawner Combos: These 7 Spawners are Pre-Settled in All-In-One Flora's Areas to give you still more quickly some ready to use/play Grass Environments.

NOTE: The Spawner Combos are very dense and can affect your Framerates as well if you don't have an High End PC Machine; if you expect some low FPS, don't forget that you can at every time settle each Spawner in order to have less density/Grass and win of Performances.

I will make some Videos Tutorials/Demonstrations soon to show you how to use the GX eXtension and mostly seeing the widest possibilities you have within'.

In the Gaia Manager, the GX will appear like that (except if some last changes comes):

To know every Assets i have used in that Screenshots, check it here

Best,
    turboscalpeur

50. docsavage

docsavage

Those look great. That integration is really nice as it will do a lot of the work for us. Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.