Search Unity

Troubles with rigging a non-humanoid character in blender

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by ModelingRealism, Jan 20, 2017.

1. ModelingRealism

ModelingRealism

So basically, as the title reads, I'm having trouble with rigging. All the tutorials I found wouldn't work. What I do to make a model is make it in Sculptris, Import into Blender to low-poly, and proceed to rig it in Mixamo. Sadly, two of the main characters for the game I'm making are non-humanoid and look like a dog/cat. Are there any other (free) programs out there, and if not free, any at all?

-Thanks!

2. DimitriX89

DimitriX89

There arent any programs that do automatic quadruped rigging for you AFAIK. The demand for such characters is not big enough to justify making an auto rigger. Study manual weight painting in Blender and you won't have problems with any kind of character, be it four legged animal, humanoid or teapot)

ModelingRealism likes this.
  3. mariusz

mariusz

Houdini has a quadruped autorig. But it's mainly for film/animation. I got some issues trying to get it straight to unity.
    So IMHO the easiest way would be creating custom rig in Blender.

4. ModelingRealism

ModelingRealism

I actually tried what DimitriX89 said, and after several attempts got it to work. Thanks though!

5. blamejane

blamejane

Hi can you tell me how you solved this? I'm trying to do the same thing, non-humanoid rigging and can't get my model to animate in Unity. I'm actually trying to do a spring, which doesn't require bones/skeleton armature. Thanks.