Search Unity

Trail Renderer always face camera

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by warit, May 25, 2008.

1. warit

warit

I'm trying to attach trail renderer to hand held weapon, problem is, as seen in the picture below, particles always face camera instead of aligning to the rotation of the weapon -Making it looks "wrong".

*edited: took picture out sorry company secret *

Is there anyway we can change this?

Thx.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's by design; usually when you have a trail, you always want to see it, so it has to rotate to face the camera to guarantee that. Otherwise it could kind of disappear when viewed edge-on.

Except that's what you want in this case, so the built-in trail renderer isn't really going to be suitable. You might be able to get a similar result using particles, but if that's not good enough, then you'd need a custom trail renderer. Yoggy wrote a nice one which you can see here, and though that one still might not be suitable in this case, it could be used as a starting point.

(Nice screenshot even with the problem.)

--Eric

3. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

There's also a "Tron Trail" in the Procedural Examples which can be found here. It is purely dependent on the transform of the object it is attached to and does not face the camera.

Ethan

4. warit

warit

Thanks, I'll take a look at Tron Trail tomorrow and let you know if it works.

Anyhow, any chance that Unity support people will be nice enough to add this niffty option to the trail renderer in the next update?

5. warit

warit

Okay, I have tried the mesh generation (Tron Trail) and it works.
    However, this makes things get really messy to go in and edit (not to mention slow things down when we want lots of them on screen at once.)
    Trail renderer seems to be more suitable for this purpose of making weapon trail.

Any hope that Unity will be adding "not aligning to Camera" option to the Trail Renderer in the next version?